SPOILERS! Pokemon Sword & Shield Pre-Release SPOILERS - Check Post 2!

This may have been brought up earlier in the thread, but is anyone else immensely disappointed at just how many type combinations remain unused (6 new ones this gen out of a possible 25)? I understand something like Normal/Rock maybe taking a few gens to receive attention, but the fact that something like Fire/Grass still hasn’t been done in 8 gens (barring any unknown mythicals this gen) is irritating.

Just more proof that they’re gonna continue milking the fans for as long as they can...

Just to remind two things:
1) Once we had designs like this, and now we have designs like that;
2) The first one is not a dragon-type, but the second one is
#random_facts

View attachment 204029View attachment 204032
I’ll always love Aerodactyl, but personally I’m glad GF have (mostly) moved away from generic simple-animal designs and on to weirder, more interesting stuff that challenges old ideas of what a Pokemon is “supposed” to look like. No, they won’t always get it just right, but that’s what happens when you take chances. Wouldn’t it be boring if every Dragon-type was just some variation on Ye Olde Mythical Dragone?

(And as often as not, IMO, when they get it wrong it’s because they don’t go far enough with new ideas. See: Coalossus being Rhyperior-on-fire instead of a train-based Pokemon. Or Klinklang being More Gears instead of, like, a clock.)

Also remember the idiocy of Gen 7's island scans and ultra portals. Maybe there are other mons, but they aren't in the dex. How that would affect the semantics of "only galar dex mons allowed to be transferred" will need the Home information first.
Considering Mew is absent from the list of 400 I wouldn't be surprised...

This may have been brought up earlier in the thread, but is anyone else immensely disappointed at just how many type combinations remain unused (6 new ones this gen out of a possible 25)? I understand something like Normal/Rock maybe taking a few gens to receive attention, but the fact that something like Fire/Grass still hasn’t been done in 8 gens (barring any unknown mythicals this gen) is irritating.

Just more proof that they’re gonna continue milking the fans for as long as they can...
Not really. Exotic type combinations are interesting, but not really needed. Not to mention some combinations are tough to design flavor-wise.

I find it hilarious how Toxapex + Corviknight covers 90% of the dex. If Regenerator Eldegoss turns out to gave good defensive stats, add that to the mix and you have your perfect Balance backbone of the gen. Or just add Ferro, Zone's gone anyway
I feel like that may depend on corviknight’s stats. We haven’t had a bulky regional bird before, but maybe that will change.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming

I actually really like the way the types are distributed this time around. There's plenty of more generic-typed mons this time around, but that just helps make the exotic stuff stand out that much more! Not everything needs to have a brand new type or be dual-typed.

I actually really like the way the types are distributed this time around. There's plenty of more generic-typed mons this time around, but that just helps make the exotic stuff stand out that much more! Not everything needs to have a brand new type or be dual-typed.
That’s a good way of looking at it, but it’s still amazing to me how many type combos remain unused after 900+ Pokémon and their various formes

it's weird that people are already getting apocalyptic about the new meta which doesn't exist yet, as if a) we even know of any of the new pokemon's stats yet, because for all we know one of them might hard counter half the threats and b) smogon does not have an entire system based on dealing with problem pokemon should, say, toxapex become an issue

like people were completely dead wrong about some gen 7 pokemon when we knew of their full movepool and stat spreads last time around, how in the hell are y'all building up entire articles' worth of meta threats purely on a list of what you even know you're allowed to use?

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus

Don't throw that Kyogre bs at me. No dolphin.

I'm much more surprised on how many single-typed mons there are, especially considering a lot of unique-typed ones were cut that could have been inherited by some, for example Ground/Poison for the snake, Dark/Fire or Dark/Ground for fox, and Ice/Fighting for Darmanitan, among others.

What really has me wondering is the selection of some of the 400 mons. We've seen Gen 8 mons that are just blatant ripoffs of earlier ones, but for some reason, GF decided to include both and create redundancy rather than giving the space to something that actually needs it. We have both Manectric and Bolthund, Alcremie and Slurpuff, Thievul and Liepard, Hattarene and Gardevoir, Greedunt and Diggersby. I wonder why anyone would pick one early 2-stage fast Dark-type over the other, or the Fairy-type cream puff with an expensive trade evo and no G-max form over the other one that has one.
Meanwhile none of my favourite mons made it and there's nothing to replace Scizor or a single one of the Ultra Beasts.

Edit: role, flavour and everything else is different, but ok, there's a Bug/Steel. Still sad about Volc even tho we have Centiskorch now. Too bad people are missing the point of what I actually wrote

Last edited:
What really has me wondering is the selection of some of the 400 mons. We've seen Gen 8 mons that are just blatant ripoffs of earlier ones, but for some reason, GF decided to include both and create redundancy rather than giving the space to something that actually needs it. We have both Manectric and Bolthund, Alcremie and Slurpuff, Thievul and Liepard, Hattarene and Gardevoir, Greedunt and Diggersby. I wonder why anyone would pick one early 2-stage fast Dark-type over the other, or the Fairy-type cream puff with an expensive trade evo and no G-max form over the other one that has one.
Meanwhile none of my favourite mons made it and there's nothing to replace Scizor or a single one of the Ultra Beasts.
Durant is in.

edit: ninja’d

edit2: Similar ‘mons can still do different things. Slurpuff gets Belly Drum and can be a threat with it, Alcreamie may be more of a special attacker or support ‘mon. Liepard has Prankster and a great support movepool, Thievul could be more offensive.

Can I just add that there's the possibility of a Pokemon that can benefit from opposing Toxapex? One that inherits Guts, is part Normal type with Facade, and can Taunt? And of course knows Pursuit to punish switching? Not to mention it is known as the Blocking Pokemon, so fingers crossed that it will be given the attack "Block"? Even if that wouldn't happen though, it could be quite the powerhouse when it lands on Toxic Spikes, and last I checked, it can learn Play Rough to ward off its big weakness that is Fighting-types.

It could all be wishful thinking though and possibly too gimmicky to be an appropriate counter. But I still wouldn't cross out Obstagoon for its potential.

BTW, it's strange that there is no legendary trio (or quartet as it was in Alola). Seems to be the first generation ever without one.
Gen VI also did not have one, though gen V had 2 (djins and musketeers). I was always shocked musketeers were not the Kalos Trio (quartet if you count Keldeo).

I agree that there is quite a bit of redundancy in the Pokemon that made the cut. Every Water/Ground type except Swampert is in. So is every Flying/Psychic but Lugia! I guess we'll have to see how it all shakes out, but from a competitive perspective it would have been nice to give lesser-used mons a chance to shine without so much competition. There also seem to be a lot of single-stage mons that I'm not crazy about (like Durant/Heatmor and Lunatone/Solrock). I am glad they didn't favor Kanto, though.

I'm also kind of disappointed in all the mono-types, but I'm not surprised that there aren't that many new type combos. There's a dwindling number of those left, and I'm not surprised they're trying to ration them for future generations. I'm cool with not-unique-but-rare ones getting more representation, like Ice/Electric and Ghost/Dragon. I still don't understand why Sandaconda isn't Ground/Poison, though.

Last edited:

Guard

حرروا فلسطين
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
OMPL Champion
Oh shite, you have a link/ have the (rough) stats off hand??
A rough estimate based on the stats showed in the E3 demo:
102/80/98/56/78/60

Based on these base stats, its defense is obviously very good (as a matter of fact, it comes very close to Skarmory) . Its special defense is slightly better than Mega Scizor, which is a special tank in OU nowadays, so that speaks volumes too.

252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 248 HP / 244 SpD Scizor-Mega in Psychic Terrain: 131-155 (38.1 - 45.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 248 HP / 244 SpD Corviknight in Psychic Terrain: 154-182 (37.8 - 44.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Last edited:

Don't throw that Kyogre bs at me. No dolphin.

I'm much more surprised on how many single-typed mons there are, especially considering a lot of unique-typed ones were cut that could have been inherited by some, for example Ground/Poison for the snake, Dark/Fire or Dark/Ground for fox, and Ice/Fighting for Darmanitan, among others.
Dark/Fire isn't unique (Houdour/Houndoom and Incineroar). Same for Ice/Fighting (Crabominable), Dark/Ground (Sandile line), and Poison/Ground (Nidoking/Nidoqueen)

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Dark/Fire isn't unique (Houdour/Houndoom and Incineroar). Same for Ice/Fighting (Crabominable), Dark/Ground (Sandile line), and Poison/Ground (Nidoking/Nidoqueen)
What I meant was Pokémon that got snapped whose type have no representative anymore and that would benefit some of the monotyped ones...

Houndoge, Incineroar, Crab, Sandile, and the nidos are all dead afawk. Their types is no more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 11)