Metagame [Spoilers] Monotype Generation 8 Pre-Release Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't quite looked into all the new moves that older Pokemon got, so I'll just cover initial thoughts on the new Ice Pokemon(Kyurem-Black got Dragon Dance, which is awesome):

Frosmoth: Despite its great ability to help it set up against special attackers, it just seems like worse Volcarona, with bad Speed that fails to outrun most Scarfers after two Quiver Dances, and doesn't exactly have great coverage options to take advantage of outside of Giga Drain and Dazzling Gleam. It gets Defog, but until Rotom-Frost gets it back, Avalugg will more than likely be the best hazard remover for the type(rip Alolan Sandslash). Heavy Duty Boots does fix the problem it has with Stealth Rock, but the amount of setup it needs with only decent payout gives me doubts, but we'll see.

Eiscue: Until I found out about what this thing's ability does, I thought it would be extremely mediocre. However, after learning that it's completely immune to physical attacks under hail, it seems a lot better. Physical attackers are basically free setup bait for a Belly Drum, and its 130 Speed lets it outspeed a good portion of the metagame. It just seems highly dependent on hail to gets its opportunities, and a pure Ice typing doesn't do very much for it coverage wise. Additionally, Aurora Veil would also have to be necessary to keep it from being sniped by Scarfers outside of hail, given its especially low Special Defense.

Mr. Rime: I feel that it may be a nice option. 70 Speed is pretty lacking, but its defensive stats are passable and its movepool seems REALLY good, especially with Nasty Plot. It has the capacity to serve as an offensive spinner, but I'm not sure how well it'll fill that role.

Arctozolt and Arcovish: Like Tyke said, these mons don't have the Speed that Alolaslash had, but Bolt Beak and Fisheous Rend do make up for their middling offensive stats. Really excited to use these two.

Galarian Darmanitan: Ok, this thing is awesome. An Ice type with strong Fire coverage is something that I've wanted for a while(you don't count Silvally). Heavy Duty Boots, similarly to many other Ice mons, is what will keep this thing afloat most of the time, as Avalugg will inevitably struggle to keep hazards off the field for the whole game. Huge Attack, good Speed, solid movepool, I can see it becoming a huge metagame threat. Its Zen Mode is on a whole other level, as in potential top 5 in the metagame. Regardless of being held back by Boots, as well as Gorilla Tactics giving it the equivalent of a built-in Choice Band, this thing will 100% be on many Ice teams assuming it isn't banned.

I have a strong feeling that Dragon Dance Kyurem-Black will not last in the metagame very long before being banned. Setting it up behind Aurora Veil is going to be pretty easy, and it may be too much for the metagame to handle, especially with the decline of Steel. In fact, the decline of Steel will likely free up Ice teams to be significantly more creative and viable.

Overall, got some really good feelings about the generation. Many of these points were made from my USUM mindset, so maybe the ones I underrated may be better than expected, but we'll find out soon. I'll check out the Rock mons next

Last edited:

Kev

Part of the journey is the end
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Thanks to those that let me know what I missed, I'll try updating these with new stuff as I go. Didn't get much time for this today, so gonna be breaking it into three parts (hopefully it stops there). The lists of fully evolved pokemon may include nfe pokemon that have a gigantamax or some kind of niche. Anyways, here's part 2:

GHOST
Ghost is probably gonna be a mediocre type in the gen, since some of its best additions are at a high risk of being banned.

Fully evolved available Pokemon:
Gengar (Gigantamax), Shedinja, Sableye, Drifblim, Dusknoir, Froslass, Rotom, Cofagrigus, Jellicent, Chandelure, Golurk, Aegislash, Trevenant, Gourgeist, Decidueye, Silvally-Ghost, Mimikyu, Dhelmise, Lunala, Necrozma Dawn Wings, Marshadow, Polteageist, Cursola, Runerigus, Dragapult

Negatives:
- Dark will be a lot more present in the metagame
- Dragapult has an absolutely awful movepool
- Loss of Mega-Sableye, type is a lot weaker to hazards and status
- Gengar's Gigantamax (or Gengar alone depending on how bans will be ruled for this), Aegislash, and Marshadow will probably all be banned. Gengar less likely than the last two.
- Weather effects like Sand and Hail might be more common which ruins Shedinja

Unclear:
- Polteageist getting Shell Smash + Stored Power is amazing, but its has absolutely no coverage for Dark types. However, it will still be a big threat that might be extremely dangerous for types without a Dark type or ones with a frail one.
- Aegislash getting Close Combat is great, its minor stat loss in base stats should not hold it back. Unclear of how great it is for the type, because it might not last very long.
- Gigantamax Gengar's ability preserves the trapping capabilities of Mega-Gengar but won't be abusable in the same way. Also, using Poison-type attacks will boost its Special Attack. Not to forget that it also gets Nasty Plot. The combination of these might put Gengar at ban risk, leaving Ghost stranded.

Positives:
- New rocker in Runerigus
- Cursola has what I think is the highest base SpA in the SWSH Monotype metagame (bar Aegislash, tied with Vikavolt) and an interesting movepool, tho it still lacks a move to counter Dark types. Besides its offensive capabilities, it has great SpDef and can run Strength Sap to make up for mediocre defense. Also, it has a nice utility movepool being able to set rocks, perish trap with whirlpool, and burn.
- Plenty of ghosts in general got Sap Sipper which can help bulky builds.

GRASS
Grass seems to continue its trend from USM by being a more anti-meta force. However, I think it should be shifting to a more offensive playstyle. LordHelix since you asked for it

Fully evolved available Pokemon: Venusaur, Vileplume, Bellossom, Celebi, Ludicolo, Shiftry, Roserade, Cherrim, Abomasnow, Leafeon, Rotom-Mow, Whimsicott, Maractus, Ferrothorn, Virizion, Trevenant, Gourgeist, Decidueye, Shiinotic, Tsareena, Silvally-Grass, Decidueye, Rillaboom, Eldegoss, Flapple (Gigantamax), Appletun (Gigantamax)

Negatives:
- No Mega Venusaur is absolutely terrible
- No Breloom which makes the type less effective against some important things like Ice
- The loss of Serperior is unfortunate as well
- Fire/Ice coverage will much easier decimate the team

Positives:
- Chlorophyll Venusaur is looking like a potent threat in the metagame. Besides being able to easily boost to x2 with Growth in the sun, it can Dynamax which will give it the following: A special attack boost every time it uses the Dynamax Poison move and sets up Grassy Terrain when using the Grass one. Let's not forget that it also gets to hold an item. Furthermore, the loss of Hidden Power doesn't damage it because it gets Weather Ball to absolutely decimate Steel. Probably overhyping it on paper, but it sounds like a big threat right now
- Priority mons like Shiftry and Decidueye can take advantage with cleaning late in a game after Venusaur & others break holes into the opposing teams + Grass can stack hazards while having spin block.
- Do not lose Celebi
- Rillaboom gets Grass Surge and U-Turn
- Flapple can be a threatening DD mon with a decent physical move pool, great attack and hustle. Also, if Dynamax moves cannot miss, while still getting Hustle boosted, then it can be even more threatening.
- Appletun getting Thick Fat gives the type a decent answer to Fire-type attacks, it also gets Ripen which could be solid with a berry holding set such as curse+recycle+hp restoring berry or curse+recycle+recover+stat boosting berry.

GROUND
Despite not getting any impressive new Pokemon and losing some great ones, Ground is looking like it could be a very threatening type in the metagame.

Fully evolved available Pokemon: Dugtrio, Dugrio-Alola, Quagsire, Steelix, Claydol, Gastrodon, Hippowdon, Rhyperior, Mamoswine, Excadrill, Seismitoad, Stunfisk, Stunfisk-Galar, Golurk, Diggersby, Mudbray, Silvally-Ground, Sandaconda (Gigantamax)

Negatives:
- Only new Pokemon is Sandaconda which isnt that impressive
- Losing Garchomp, Landorus, Landorus-Therian and Nidoking
- The loss of Landorus and Nidoking causes it to lack having a really great special attacker, would need to rely on Seismitoad

Positives:
- Ground immunities, good resists are scarce
- Pokemon that do fit in that category often do not like taking Excadrill's other moves
- Rapid Spin increasing Speed could make Excadrill effective outside of the sand (probably not that relevant)
- Preserves its water attack absorbers (Seismitoad and Gastrodon)
- Trapping with Dugtrio
- Dynamax Rock move sets Sand, so Excadrill could set its own sand after it ends

ICE
Ice has gotten a lot of new toys that should be finally be ending its status as a bottom 3-5 type in Monotype.

Fully evolved available Pokemon: Ninetales-Alola, Cloyster, Lapras (Gigantamax), Piloswine, Glalie, Abomasnow, Weavile, Glaceon, Mamoswine, Froslass, Rotom-Frost, Darmanitan-Galar, Darmanitan-Galar (Zen Mode), Vanilluxe, Beartic, Kyurem, Kyurem-White, Kyurem-Black, Avalugg, Silvally-Ice, Mr.Rime, Frosmoth, Eiscue, Arctozolt, Arctovish

Negatives:
- Weavile got completely ruined, losing Pursuit and Knock Off
- Sandslash-Alola might have been better as a Slush Rush user this gen
- Kyurem-Black is pretty much guaranteed to get banned with its boosts (DD+Icicle Spear, and can abuse Dynamax) so it will be a huge loss
- Kyurem losing Roost
- Arctozolt and Arctovish being slow might damage their ability to perform as Slush Rush abusers
- Frosmoth being bad Volcarona with an unimpressive movepool

Positives:
- Darmanitan-Galar is a ridiculous powerhouse with Gorilla Tactics, there's basically no such thing as a switch in to this beast on this type
- Almost everything gets Freeze Dry
- Avalugg gets Body Press, giving a possible answer to Excadrill
- Bolt Beak and
Fisheous Rend might give Arctozolt and Arctovish some credibility as Slush Rush abusers
- A lot more Aurora Veil
- Eiscue running Belly Drum with Ice Face might be a big threat. It's low SpDef makes it risky, however it can immensely pressure types if it Belly Drums on a physical attack during the last turn of Hail. Also, it can set up Belly Drum in Hail, recover its HP with Dynamax (if it works that way) and then use Dynamax Water move which will remove Hail thus allowing it to possibly break free and get the speed increase. It can use its Dynamax Ice move to regain the Ice Face if it needs to protect itself from a physical attacker.
- Mr.Rime probably sucks but Rapid Spin (boosting speed) + Nasty Plot might be worth trying at least

NORMAL
After the ups and downs Normal has faced in USM, and being a solid type in ORAS, Normal has fallen down to one of the absolute worst types in SWSH.

Fully evolved available Pokemon: Meowth (Gigantamax), Persian, Farfetch'd, Ditto, Eevee (Gigantamax), Snorlax (Gigantamax), Noctowl, Linoone, Unfezant, Cincinno, Braviary, Diggersby, Heliolisk, Bewear, Oranguru, Type:Null, Silvally, Drampa, Greedent, Dubwool, Obstagoon, Indeedee

Negatives:
- Loss of its greatest and most important defensive core: Chansey, Porygon2 and Staraptor
- Diggersby losing Return/Frustration makes it a lot worse, it would need to run something like Body Slam or Double-Edge or maybe Giga Impact on a Dynamax set
- Losing two great Mega options in Mega Lopunny and Mega Pidgeot
- No stealth rock
- No sticky web so even HO looks bleak
- Overall horrible Pokemon options both defensively and offensively

Unclear:
- I'm not sure if Ditto can copy Dynamax Pokemon, but I am assuming that it can. However, not being able to copy the insane HP increase will probably make Ditto unimpressive.

Positives:

--------------

Besides a type analysis, I think SWSH Monotype will require a lot more thinking than prior despite Dynamax seeming like a no brain, nuking mechanic. Unlike Mega's and Z-Move's, Dynamax/Gigantamax is not determined at team builder, although a general idea should be established when building a team. Thus, players will need to carefully decide what Pokemon is the best to Dynamax in the matchup or situation. Of course, that also means players need to predict who the opponent will Dynamax. Probably exaggerating for this point, as the Dynamax mon will probably become evident/straighforward as the metagame develops. However, timing will still be a crucial factor. Only having 3 turns means the player needs to be sure not to waste the Dynamax. Also, the player needs to be mindful of what Dynamax move they use because their effects might end up being detrimental. For example, a Swift Swim abuser using a Ground move while Dynamaxed would remove replace Rain by Sand and possibly kill all momentum. I think players who aren't thinking about the details during their matches will be punished much more severely than before.

As before, I wrote this quickly and might have missed some obvious things so let me know

Last edited:
How do you think Lapras will do here?

She used to be the 1st-gen pokemon I liked, but I never get to use her due to the fact that she is so slow, and def isn't much high either. She just waste her status on HP which isn't good imo.

However, she is going to have Giganmax version with G-Ice attack ability that include reduce damage for 5 turn!

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
How do you think Lapras will do here?

She used to be the 1st-gen pokemon I liked, but I never get to use her due to the fact that she is so slow, and def isn't much high either. She just waste her status on HP which isn't good imo.

However, she is going to have Giganmax version with G-Ice attack ability that include reduce damage for 5 turn!
Chances are it'll be nice on Ice and probably ok (?) on Water. It's the only available Gigantamax form that Ice has access to and getting reduced damage for five turns sounds like a really neat side effect. For the record, Lapras is fine on SM Ice as a Choice Specs user, though I wouldn't call it great and Ice sucks, but you can try it there if you want.

Last edited:
Chances are it'll be nice on Ice and probably ok (?) on Water. It's the only available Gigantamax form that Ice has access to and getting reduced damage for five turns sounds like a really neat side effect. For the record, Lapras is fine on SM Ice as a Choice Specs user, though I wouldn't call it great and Ice sucks, but you can try it there if you want.
Ice has historically always been pretty terrible, but this generation I think it might actually end up being a solid type. A lot of new mons got Aurora Veil and Freeze-Dry, the new item Heavy Duty Boots means entry hazards won't be as much of a problem, Scizor could sweep an Ice team fairly easily and that's gone now. It also got some cool new Pokemon in Galaraian Darmanitan, Eiscue and Mr Rime. Now don't get me wrong, it does still have some big issues, but I strongly believe this generation could be Ice's time to shine.

Perish Song

flaunt
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I did some analysis on Water myself to have an opinion on how it will look like at the launch. It is very similar to Kev's.

Fully evolved Water-type Pokemon: Blastoise, Cloyster, Kingler, Seaking, Gyarados, Lapras, Vaporeon, Lanturn, Quagsire, Qwilfish, Corsola, Octillery, Mantine, Ludicolo, Pelipper, Wailord, Whishcash, Crawdaunt, Milotic, Gastrodon, Rotom-W, Seismitoad, Basculin, Jellicent, Keldeo, Barbaracle, Primarina, Wishiwashi, Toxapex, Araquanid, Golisopod, Pyukumuku, Inteleon, Drednaw, Cramorant, Barraskewda, Dracovish, Arctovish

Positives:
- Access to every entry hazard.
- Access to a shitload of Pokemon.
- Has enough Pokemon to effectively run nearly every playstyle including stall.
- Keeps metagame defining Pokemon like Toxapex.
- Has enough Electric immunity for coverage.
- Has access to one of the most dangerous Dynamax Pokemon, which is Gyarados.
- Max Water calls Rain Dance for its team, heavily enhancing Rain based teams.
- Keldeo is back lmao.
- Seismitoad is one of the very few lead Pokemon that has access to both Stealth Rock and Toxic. (Shuckle and Ferrothorn)
- It comes with crucial Knock Off on powerful breakers like Crawdaunt, or utility Pokemon like Pelipper.
- Has a good Toxic spread.
- A good fossil Pokemon giving Water access to Dragon-type which is a useful resistance.
- Toxapex removes Toxic Spikes which is gucci.
- Toxapex having Baneful Bunker gives you a chance to stall out Dynamax quite effectively. (2 turns gone)
- Probably a few more things.

Negatives:
- Has to rely on deepthroating bird or Blastoise to effectively remove hazards which probably will be hard to fit in teams.
- No Greninja is a rip.
- It has no real ways to address Grass-type coverage with no Sip Sapper available and Mantine is shit without Defog/Toxic.
- Breaking Ferrothorn is extremely difficult.
- Shitload of Pokemon getting access to Freeze Dry puts Water teams in a tough spot.

Last edited:
I did some analysis on Water myself to have an opinion on how it will look like at the launch. It is very similar to Kev's.

Fully evolved Water-type Pokemon: Blastoise, Cloyster, Kingler, Seaking, Gyarados, Lapras, Vaporeon, Lanturn, Quagsire, Qwilfish, Corsola, Octillery, Mantine, Ludicolo, Pelipper, Wailord, Whishcash, Crawdaunt, Milotic, Gastrodon, Rotom-W, Seismitoad, Basculin, Jellicent, Keldeo, Barbaracle, Primarina, Wishiwashi, Toxapex, Araquanid, Golisopod, Pyukumuku, Inteleon, Drednaw, Cramorant, Barraskewda, Dracovish, Arctovish

Positives:
- Access to every entry hazard.
- Access to a shitload of Pokemon.
- Has enough Pokemon to effectively run nearly every playstyle including stall.
- Keeps metagame defining Pokemon like Toxapex.
- Has enough Electric immunity, also Electric is shit this generation.
- Has access to one of the most dangerous Dynamax Pokemon, which is Gyarados.
- Max Water calls Rain Dance for its team, heavily enhancing Rain based teams.
- Keldeo is back lmao.
- Seismitoad is one of the very few lead Pokemon that has access to both Stealth Rock and Toxic. (Shuckle and Ferrothorn)
- It comes with crucial Knock Off on powerful breakers like Crawdaunt, or utility Pokemon like Pelipper.
- Has a good Toxic spread.
- A good fossil Pokemon giving Water access to Dragon-type which is a useful resistance.
- Toxapex removes Toxic Spikes which is gucci.
- Toxapex having Baneful Bunker gives you a chance to stall out Dynamax quite effectively. (2 turns gone)
- Probably a few more things.

Negatives:
- Has to rely on deepthroating bird or Blastoise to effectively remove hazards which probably will be hard to fit in teams.
- No Greninja is a rip.
- It has no real ways to address Grass-type coverage with no Sip Sapper available and Mantine is shit without Defog.
- It has no real ways to break Ferrothorn on Grass-type teams to make way for Gyarados to clean.
Mantine does have access to Roost. It learns it via move reminder. You can look it up here: https://pastebin.com/Cyg8Rp53
Sorry for asking, but I'm confused. Didn't you say Keldeo is back? Shouldn't it be enough to break Ferrothorn? Then, there's Crawdaunt and Barraskewda who both learn Close Combat. If necessary, you could dynamax Barraskewda to increase your Attack by using Close Combat and setting rain with Liquidation. If people fear Ferrothorn or other bulky Pkm that much, Trap Araquanid might be an option.

Perish Song

flaunt
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Mantine does have access to Roost. It learns it via move reminder. You can look it up here: https://pastebin.com/Cyg8Rp53
Sorry for asking, but I'm confused. Didn't you say Keldeo is back? Shouldn't it be enough to break Ferrothorn? Then, there's Crawdaunt and Barraskewda who both learn Close Combat. If necessary, you could dynamax Barraskewda to increase your Attack by using Close Combat and setting rain with Liquidation. If people fear Ferrothorn or other bulky Pkm that much, Trap Araquanid might be an option.
Roost was a typo, I meant Defog. Defog was one of the most important factors for Mantine to rise up in usage previous generation, now with Defog gone you kinda don't have any real reasons to use Mantine for Water teams. (Especially when it is lacking Toxic as well)

As for breaking Ferrothorn, the answer is simply the team support that Ferrothorn receives. But this is just speculative and might not be impossible.
- Grass has access to Celebi, Whimsicott, and Decidueye, which can handle all 3 Pokemon you put down.
- Ferrothorn comes with Knock Off, Leech Seed, Thunder Wave, and Power Whip so hard switching is not an option.
- The matchup is Grass vs Water anyway so it won't be easy to put yourself into a position where you can directly eliminate Ferrothorn anyway, you will be under heavy pressure all the time with the lack of proper removal that limits your switchins.

Last edited:
Defog was one of the most important factors for Mantine to rise up in usage previous generation, now with Defog gone you kinda don't have any real reasons to use Mantine for Water teams. (Especially when it is lacking Toxic as well)
Negatives:
- Weavile got completely ruined, losing Knock Off
- Kyurem losing Roost
- Hydreigon does not have Roost

FLYING

Negatives:

- Less Defog options
Presumably all these issues will be solved when Home arrives.

Perish Song

flaunt
Presumably all these issues will be solved when Home arrives.
Yeah, we know that. But we won't get PokeHome at the same time with the SwSh on Showdown, so there will be a period of time where we are limited to what Kev and I posted. So I think those count for valuable as resources until we get the PokeHome.

Last edited:
Yeah, we know that. But we won't get PokeHome at the same time with the SwSh on Showdown, so there will be a period of time where we are limited to what Kev and I posted. So I think those count for valuable as resources until we get the PokeHome.
Sure, but we also do not know when Kyurem and the like will be arriving. So since you guys mentioned them I assumed you were talking about post-home.

Hmm let's see how my poison bois are doing this gen:

Fully evolved Posion-type Pokemon: [Venusaur], Vileplume, Roserade, Skuntank, Garbodor, Gengar, (Galarian) Weezing, Drapion, Toxicroak, Toxapex, Salazzle, Toxtricity, Eternatus (lol)

Positives:
- Access to spikes, toxic spikes
- Toxapex is back
- Access to auto-terrain through Galarian Weezing (yay? not even sure this is a positive, since it has to give up Levitate to do this)
- Toxtricity looks to be a cool new addition w/ some power and it gets Shift Gear
- Gengar gets Nasty Plot, and a G-max move that traps pokemon (how useful this is remains to be seen, since you'll almost certainly end up trapping something that can OHKO you)

Negatives:
- Crobat is gone, Gengar stopped levitating a while ago, and the only mon left to switch into ground attacks is Galarian Weezing, which Excadrill can smash to bits with Iron Head. Air Balloon looks to be mandatory on at least one mon, though the Max Grass move's terrain may help against EQ specifically?
- Eternatus is almost certainly going to be banned, though it would have been nice to have a 1125 BST mon LOL
- Venusaur isn't available now, and even when it is released, its mega is gone. It can run a nice Chlorophyll set w/ Weather Ball (fire) and Earth Power, though. Maybe this will be the main way to beat Excadrill / ground types?
- Nidos are gone, so no SR whatsoever. Galarian Weezing and Skuntank also appears to be the only hazard removal option w/ Defog.
- There doesn't appear to be much of a defensive core you can form; Toxapex can't wall everything.

Ground is going to be the hardest matchup by far, and with Pursuit removed, Psychics will be all over the place at first. The mons we were left with don't all gel w/ each other. For instance, Venu will want sun, which Toxicroak hates, and they thought it would be a good idea to exclude both Nidos but give us Vileplume for some reason.

We'll see how well this ages, but it looks like Poison will have to carve a completely new playstyle as it can't rely on a defensive backbone of 3 mons anymore, and full stall looks difficult, if not impossible.

Gonna post here something I was discussing in mono discord and heard about from a video pokeaimmd made:

If you’re using a choice item, and you dynamax, you’re able to switch up moves. As you’re not locking yourself into a move, like u-turn for example, you’re using Max flutterby. This makes choice items INCREDIBLY BROKEN AND OVERPOWERED. This means on pokemon that don’t need a fourth move can now run a setup option, and sweep.
Examples of this include banded dragon dance dragapult, nasty plot scarf gengar and nasty plot scarf hydreigon as long as you setup before dynamaxing. It also gives you the option of changing up moves if something comes in to check you and you have a coverage move on your set that can beat whatever is trying to check you. Just note after it wears off you have to switch out, which may leave you as setup bait, though you can switch out before it ends as to not give your opponent that opportunity. An example of this would be Barraskewda clicking liquidation vs mono ground and then gastrodon coming into to check it. If it’s in range of max knuckle you can dynamax and knock it out and then boost your attack. Then you can max geyser, set up rain and continue to sweep with liquidation after your dynamax peeters out.

Last edited:

Kev

Part of the journey is the end
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
With the games coming to ps hopefully within a few hours or the next 24 at least, here's part 3.

POISON
After years of mediocrity in BW and ORAS, Poison rose to fame early SM. It has declined significantly recently, however nothing compares to the disaster it looks like this gen.

Fully evolved available Pokemon: Venusaur, Vileplume, Gengar (Gigantamax), Weezing, Weezing-Galar, Qwilfish, Roserade, Skunktank, Drapion, Toxicroak, Garbador (Gigantamax), Toxapex,Salazzle, Silvally-Poison, Toxtricity (Gigantamax)

Negatives:
- No flying type, needs to rely on Levitate (solo'd by scarf Mold Breaker Excadrill)
- Loss of Muk-Alola, its best answer to Psychic. It now needs to rely on Skunktank and Drapion.
- Loss of Mega-Venusaur
- No Stealth Rock
- No Nidoking or Nihilego

Positives:
- Toxapex, can't go wrong with having that mon
- Gengar getting Nasty Plot can be insane since you can use a change moves on Dynamaxed choice'd mon (still don't know if the item is still in effect)
- Toxtricity could be an interesting new offensive presence, able to run both special and physical sets

PSYCHIC
The loss of the majority of legendary/mythical Pokemon hits Psychic the most of all types, however it has some interesting new additions that might allow it to remain as a competitor in the metagame.

Fully evolved available Pokemon: Rapidash-Galar, Mr.Mime, Mewtwo, Mew, Xatu, Espeon, Wobuffet, Celebi, Gardevoir, Lunatone, Solrock, Claydol, Jirachi, Bronzong, Musharna, Gothitelle, Reuniclus,Beheeyem, Meowstic-M, Meowstic-F, Oranguru, Silvally-Psychic, Solgaleo, Lunala, Necrozma, Necrozma Dusk Mane, Necrozma Dawn Wings, Orbeetle (Gigantamax), Hatterene (Gigantamax), Mr.Rime, Indeedee

Negatives:
- No Latios or Latias
- No Victini, Mega-Gallade or Alakazam which makes Dark and Steel much worse
- No Meloetta as a Ghost immunity which might be important this gen
- Mew losing Defog causes the team to rely on things like Rapid Spin Claydol for hazard control

Positives:
- Mew gains Sticky Web, Toxic Spikes, and Spikes, all great hazards that can vary the play style of the team
- Jirachi gains a non-Wish recovery move, Life Dew, which can make CM sets much more threatening
- The Hidden Power loss is not as awful as many Pokemon gained Mystical Fire instead
- With Heatran gone, Gardevoir doesn't even need to run Focus Blast
- Hatterene has an insane SpA stat with a great movepool, it could be a scary OTR mon or contribute to a TR team
- Reuniclus can now use Stored Power
- Psychic terrain is triggered by Psychic Dynamax move
- Indeedee has Psychic Terrain

ROCK
Rock has never been a particularly exceptional type in Monotype, and that is definitely not changing this generation.

Fully evolved available Pokemon: Sudowoodo, Shuckle, Corsola, Tyranitar, Solrock, Lunatone, Rhyperior, Gigalith, Crustle, Terrakion, Barbaracle, Silvally-Rock, Drednaw, (Gigantamax), Coalossal (Gigantamax), Stonjourner

Negatives:
- No water immunity
- No Mega-Diancie
- No Nihilego

- Drednaw might not be able to take advantage of Swift Swim vs Rain

- Positives:
- Terrakion would be ridiculous with a Scarf SD Dynamax set assuming it takes advantage of choice item when Dynamaxed

STEEL
Similar to Flying, but not as severe, Steel is taking a great fall from its present position as one of the best types in monotype historically.

Fully evolved available Pokemon: Steelix, Mawile, Jirachi, Bronzong, Excadrill, Ferrothorn, Klinklang, Stunfisk-Galar, Bisharp, Durant, Cobalion, Aegislash, Silvally-Steel, Togedemaru, Solgaleo, Dusk Mane Necrozma, Melmetal (Gigantamax), Corviknight (Gigantamax), Perrserker, Copperajah (Gigantamax), Duralduron (Gigantamax), Zacian, Zamazenta

Negatives:
- NO HEATRAN aka no fire immunity
- No Scizor
- No Celesteela
- Bisharp losing Knock Off

Unclear:
- Will need to see if Corviknight can make up for no Celesteela/Skarmory

Positives:
- Aegislash for as long as it lasts
- Jirachi getting a recovery move
- Copperajah may be cool under trick room
- Some types will have a harder type killing Ferrothorn

WATER
Everyone pretty much knows Water is my favourite type, so this is definitely the one I care about the most. While it does get hurt, it definitely is one of the winners of the dex cleanse. Water will be able to run a diversity of play styles which gives it an edge over the rest of the metagame.

Fully evolved available Pokemon:
Blastoise, Cloyster, Kingler (Gigantamax), Gyarados, Lapras (Gigantamax), Vaporeon, Lanturn, Quagsire, Qwilfish, Octillery, Mantine, Ludicolo, Pelipper, Wailord, Whiscash, Crawdaunt, Milotic, Gastrodon, Rotom-Wash, Seismitoad, Basculin, Jellicent, Keldeo, Barbaracle, Primarina, Wishiwashi, Toxapex, Araquanid, Gosilopod, Pyukumuku, Silvally-Water, Intelleon, Drednaw (Gigantamax), Cramorant, Barraskewda, Dracovish, Arctovish

Negatives:
- Need to rely on Blastoise or Cramorant for hazard removal (Mantine losing Defog)
- No Greninja
- Freeze Dry was given to all ice types
- No Mega Sharpedo, making Psychic much more annoying
- The more defensive Pokemon might struggle in the very offensive metagame, also it doesnt have many super fast hard hitters so it might get overwhelmed
- Drednaw's Gigantamax form would summon Sand if it uses Rock Stab, which ruins the point of it having Swift Swim

Positives:
- Gyarados is ridiculous, DD + Moxie + speed boosts from dynamax flying + rain from dynamax water + it can possibly run an item like Choice Band while still taking advantage of the previous
- Still have a Drizzle pokemon in Pelipper, paired with some strong swift simmers like the new Barraskewda, Drednaw (despite the whole gigantamax issue), Seismitoad and Pelipper
- Toxapex, no need to say more
- Other staple members of stall are there such as Lanturn, Quagsire, and Mantine
- Araquanid has Sticky Web which could be take advantage of by the setup mons
- Keldeo gets Air Slash, in Dynamax that would also help make it faster
- Fisheous Rend from Arctovish (and Dracovish?) will hit incredibly in rain
- Loss of Hidden Power saves the type from random Hidden Power Grass or Hidden Power Electric coverage given to teams lacking good ways to hit Water
- Can take advantage of water stab boosts under rain without running Pelipper, thanks to Dynamax water move
- Water immunities/good Resists arent too common or can be pressured, which allows the type to really put pressure on the opponent

----

Besides my comment about gen8 requiring a lot more thing, I also think this generation will be insanely more offensive. Dynamaxing caters greatly to offensive Pokemon and could break through easily. A lot of types seem to favour offensive builds in the upcoming metagame. The mechanic itself seems ridiculous strong, possibly unhealthy. Hopefully it will be manageable. Perhaps it will be like Z-Moves which we also believed would be unhealthy and would make the meta extremely offensive. Obviously, we managed to adapt and realized that it was just over exaggeration.

Anyways, let's have a fun gen8 ! Hopefully its a good one and we don't feel like quitting a month in

With the (potential) rise of DMax setup sweepers, I think it's worth looking into ways to stop sweepers for types that have trouble with them without using their own DMax. A possibility is Heavy Duty Boots on a Sturdy mon which would act as a failsafe

Small note, but Rillaboom seems like it'll be a pretty excellent pokemon for Grass.

85 Speed and 120 Attack with Grassy Surge, U-turn, Wood Hammer, Superpower, High Horsepower, Knock Off; it's gonna be a pretty solid scarf revenge killer and pivot for the type in the wake of losing breloom, celebi (temporarily), and bulu.

Gonna post here something I was discussing in mono discord and heard about from a video pokeaimmd made:

If you’re using a choice item, and you dynamax, you’re able to switch up moves. As you’re not locking yourself into a move, like u-turn for example, you’re using Max flutterby. This makes choice items INCREDIBLY BROKEN AND OVERPOWERED. This means on pokemon that don’t need a fourth move can now run a setup option, and sweep.
Examples of this include banded dragon dance dragapult, nasty plot scarf gengar and nasty plot scarf hydreigon as long as you setup before dynamaxing. It also gives you the option of changing up moves if something comes in to check you and you have a coverage move on your set that can beat whatever is trying to check you. Just note after it wears off you have to switch out, which may leave you as setup bait, though you can switch out before it ends as to not give your opponent that opportunity. An example of this would be Barraskewda clicking liquidation vs mono ground and then gastrodon coming into to check it. If it’s in range of max knuckle you can dynamax and knock it out and then boost your attack. Then you can max geyser, set up rain and continue to sweep with liquidation after your dynamax peeters out.
This whole post is so wrong, the reason of why you are allowed to switch moves on the dynamax form is because the choice item gets completely disabled, you heard right, if you dinamax with a choice item, you will loose whatever stat boost it gave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)