Metagame Cross Evolution

Been a while since I've existed on the forums so I might as well pop on again.

1574033433134.png

Hatterene (Rhydon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Earthquake
- Nuzzle
- Stealth Rock

I like Ground/Fairy as a defensive typing (see Nidoqueen in Type Optimization), and Rhydon manages to balance Hatterne's lack of an HP increase but sits comfortably at Pdon levels of Atk and Def and with Magic Bounce. Play Rough and Nuzzle are really all you need from Hatterene since Rhydon's immense movepool as a Gen 1 mon gives it just about anything else it could want - Rocks, Elemental Punches, Superpower to nail flying Steels, or even Rock Polish if you are a lunatic - just stay away from anything that has Scald.

1574033766196.png

Centiskorch (Vullaby) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Fire Lash
- Coil
- Roost

Full stop, I'm hyper biased towards Centiskorch since not only does it combine Fire Lash and Coil, but its a fuckin fire scorpion thats so goddamn cool
Anyways, Vullaby makes wonderful use of an atk/def buff and the consistent chip that Fire Lash does while stopping other Coil users (and simultaneously can eat any Fire move via Flash Fire or roll the dice with Flame Body). White Smoke also deserves mention as a way to stop several moves that got added this gen as mon-specific stuff, like Spirit Break, Gravapple and Drum Beating (although the formermost you need to be afraid of).

1574034729987.png

WHY DOES THIS EXIST (Type: Null) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Punk Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Overdrive
- Signal Beam
- U-turn

LETS NOT UNBAN OK I DONT WANT TO HAVE TO DEAL WITH THIS

Boomburst Null with Punk Rock to fuck everything up outside of OTHER Null with Punk Rock, an incredibly solid statline, the option of running Overdrive for a form of coverage (although Hidden Power being gone sucks a bit) and being able to be a lure set with Shift Gear ye no thanks id rather not leave again.

at least it doesnt have support moIT HAS NUZZLE AND ENCORE

Special Mention: Coalossal 30/20/30/20/20/-20 (100 BST inc), Steam Engine/Flash Fire/Flame Body, Important moves of Stone Edge, Rock Blast, Flare Blitz, Body Press, Earthquake, Fire Blast, Flamethrower, Earth Power, Scald, Stealth Rock, Spikes, Will-o-Wisp, Tar Shot

I love this thing. Same case of Centiskorch where I love design and abilities and movepool. While initially you'd expect something with such boring stats to be just that, kinda boring, Coalossal brings to the table a duo of hazards, Will-o-wisp, a set of important physical and special moves that both support and offensive will like, and Steam Engine, an ability that raises speed by 3 if hit by a Water or Fire attack. This turns Coalossal evolutions into things that start off really slow and can turn fast if you pivot into them and predict correctly, or just lure with a Bug/Steel mon. Tar Shot is kinda interesting; -1 Speed to a target and they take double damage from Fire until they switch out. Tar Shot really is the best way to describe Coalossal; super gimmicky and yet something that enterprising people might take advantage of. Unfortuantely not many 'mons make their way into the NFE category and have the traits that Coalossal will demand of them, namely a solid Speed stat that doesnt mind getting shafted a bit and a Fire/Water resist. Hakamo-o looks promising as does Sliggoo, especially the later with solid 98/83/133 bulk and an appreciation for a widened movepool.

EDIT: STEAM ERUPTION IS +6 SPEED EXCUSE ME THAT SHITS HILARIOUS

Last edited:
You also forgot to mention the new Galarian forms like Darmanitan and Rapidash. Not that there's any significant differences between them statwise, but as they have different abilities in most cases it'd be a good idea to put them there.

Anyways...

Presenting: the Gen 8 Cross Evolution Spreadsheet! (Yes, it's complete now)
Much thanks to Sasha the Sylveon for her work on the Gen 7 Cross Evolution spreadsheet which I used as a template for this one, and especially for the scalable percentile ranges.

Unreleased Pokemon are highlighted in light green, and will be set to normal once they are released.

Last edited:
Rhydon-Gigalith
Somehow, I overlooked this one last generation. Thankfully, I can still use it. With a choice of Sand Stream and Sand Force, this is probably the best Rock-type sandstorm-setter we'll get this generation (besides maybe Carkol-Tyranitar)

Corsola-Galar + Toxtricity/Araquanid/Copperajah/Centiskorch/Frosmoth/Toxapex/Weezing-Galar/Sandaconda/Carkol/Polteageist/Greedent/Appletun/Flapple/(just about anything, EVEN Mr. Mime-Galar)
Corsola-Galar is probably the best bulky wall crevolution we're going to get this generation.

Onix-Frosmoth: 75/85/185/110/105(152 with Ice Scales)/115
Finally, we put Onix to good use. Now, Onix has very impressive special bulk, SPEED, and special attack!
Comparably, we also have Honedge-Frosmoth: 85/120/125/115/97/73

Carkol-Gallade: The new and improved Terrakion with 110 / 150 / 120 / 60 / 130 / 80
I still love Type: Null-Golisopod

Lastly, I would like to address the Ubers Abilities that are actually NOT Ubers Abilities:
Stance Change, Disguise, Zen Mode, Ice Face, Schooling
NONE OF THESE ABILITIES FUNCTION UNLESS THEY ARE MATCHED TO THEIR RESPECTIVE SPECIES. (This also applies for Frantic Fusions.)
So although Zen Mode does something better to stats and type for Darmanitan, it is important to note that it is still Species-Specific and will only work for Darmanitan. Now, if you wish to argue that Aegislash is still Ubers when NOT used as a crevolver, that is perfectly understandable.

I was debating Dottler for a while when I initially made this list, and the fact that its typing was so poor was initially one of the reasons I left it out. Although it gets nifty tools like Sticky Web and Trick Room, I don't think that necessarily justifies putting it on a list of potentially viable prevos, especially since 3rd stage donors with good defensive boosts are so sparse. It has so few viable donors and is so passive that I didn't think it was worth mentioning, especially in a metagame that's becoming more offense-oriented. That said, it's one of the few Webs prevos this generation, so if you want to build Webs then this could have some potential.

One other big note that I'd like to point out is that with the generational shift and on average the lowering of average base stat totals, I think we should make Gen 8 Cross Evolution an OU-based metagame rather than an Uber based one. Given that the only three Pokemon currently in Uber are probably too much for this meta, I think this is a valid consideration.

You might as well just put all of the new evos/pre-evos down, regardless of whether they're seemingly viable or not. At worst you give the people information that happens to not be useful for them or their team and at best someone finds a niche from the lot and makes them work. If they don't seem viable, give a brief explanation on why and move on. No need to dig too deep on which usable moves or niches they would all have, just give the people what they want and what they can potentially utilize.

Or, I could not notice the spreadsheet you just posted. Well played.

I'm all for the idea of making Gen 8 Cross Evo OU-based given the (forced) decrease in power, but we still have to test it out first just to be certain that the majority of possible combinations don't reach that power level. If it happens to be the case, no objections here, maybe we could even make it an official OM to replace the lost MnM.

Last edited:
Error: Obstagoon does not add Dark and Normal to its typing.
Error: Volcarona does not exist in Gen 8
Made edits, also corrected some other mistakes.

Rhydon-Gigalith
Somehow, I overlooked this one last generation. Thankfully, I can still use it. With a choice of Sand Stream and Sand Force, this is probably the best Rock-type sandstorm-setter we'll get this generation (besides maybe Carkol-Tyranitar)
I somehow overlooked this, but I realized the only Sand Rush donor this generation is Excadrill. Not the death of sand, necessarily, but lack of an extremely good setter and lack of Sand Rushers combined with the increased viability of other weathers is pretty detrimental to the playstyle as a whole.

Corsola-Galar + Toxtricity/Araquanid/Copperajah/Centiskorch/Frosmoth/Toxapex/Weezing-
Note that unlike normal Corsola, Galarian Corsola lacks Recover and gets Strength Sap in its place.

I actually made some sample teams. While I won't pretend they're the best, given that we can't actually playtest yet, I like to think they're semi-usable.

milotic (Corsola-Galar) @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Stealth Rock

toxapex (Munchlax) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
Bold Nature
- Body Slam
- Toxic
- Recover
- Haze

gyarados (Vullaby) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Knock Off
- Roost

alcremie (Ferroseed) @ Leftovers
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Recover
- Knock Off
- Aromatherapy
- Spikes

avalugg (Skorupi) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Sturdy
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Whirlwind
- Recover

frosmoth (Shellos) @ Leftovers
Ability: Ice Scales
Bold Nature
- Clear Smog
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover

darmanitan-galar (Sneasel) @ Choice Band
Ability: Gorilla Tactics
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- U-turn

toxtricity (Helioptile) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Overdrive
- Volt Switch
- Surf

boltund (Pawniard) @ Life Orb
Ability: Strong Jaw
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Thunder Fang
- Taunt

butterfree (Mr. Mime-Galar) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Compound Eyes
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- Quiver Dance

toxtricitylowkey (Golett) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Shadow Punch
- Rock Tomb
- Shift Gear

excadrill (Farfetch'd-Galar) @ Fist Plate
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

shiftry (Roselia) @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Modest Nature
- Energy Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Heat Wave
- Nasty Plot

ninetales (Vullaby) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Drought
Relaxed Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Knock Off
- U-turn

leafeon (Rhyhorn) @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Solar Blade
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

appletun (Corsola-Galar) @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

heliolisk (Salandit) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Solar Power
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Sludge Wave

gallade (Mr. Mime-Galar) @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin

pelipper (Vullaby) (F) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
Relaxed Nature
- U-turn
- Roost
- Knock Off
- Defog

hatterene (Rhydon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Play Rough
- Nuzzle

ninjask (Farfetch'd-Galar) @ Choice Band
Ability: Speed Boost
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Brave Bird
- Knock Off
- Leaf Blade

barraskewda (Krabby) @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Atk / 32 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Crabhammer
- Ice Fang
- Close Combat

accelgor (Frillish) @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Water Spout
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Shadow Ball

drednaw (Pawniard) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- Swords Dance

I like to think these teams are fairly straightforward, but I'll add descriptions later anyway when I have time.

Last edited:
If Sneasel is banned as a crevolver again, disregard this, but if not, good lord.

Sneasel (Flapple)
Stats: 85/165/55/90/95/165 with Hustle (BST=655)
Focus sash
-Hone Claws
-Icicle Crash
-Throat Chop
-Grav Apple/Poison Jab/Brick Break

or if you want to hit hard right away and don't mind missing occasionally
Choice Band
-Icicle Crash
-Throat Chop
-Grav Apple/Poison Jab/Brick Break/Ice Shard

Slashed slot is for whacking either bulky waters, fairies, or steels, or for priority if you want it

If Sneasel can't be used, some alternatives that can learn Hone Claws now include Rufflet, Drilbur, Galar Meowth, Skorupi, and Binacle, though none are anywhere near as fast--some are slow enough they might prefer the wall breaking route. Others like Munchlax, Pawniard, Stunky, and Axew could pull it off once we can transfer. But if they go with a band, maybe it's better to just cross-evolve to G-Darmanitan.

Does Dynamaxing ignore accuracy checks, by the way?

EDIT: added some Bolthund sets

Scraggy (Bolthund) @ Focus Sash
Jolly/Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- High Jump Kick
- Iron Head
- Dragon Dance
120 Attack and 143 speed with double stab on Crunch. Iron Head is for the fairies that will flock in to try to stop it.

Growlithe (Bolthund) @ Choice Band
Jolly/Adamant Nature
- Fire Fang/Flare Blitz
- Crunch
- Psychic Fangs
- Thunder Fang
Not quite as good I think, but with 115/120/155 offensive stats and some nice coverage from Strong Jaw, could definitely do some speedy damage. Can also go mixed or serve as a very fast revenge killer with Scarf.

Last edited:
If Sneasel is banned as a crevolver again, disregard this, but if not, good lord.

Sneasel (Flapple)
Stats: 85/165/55/90/95/165 with Hustle (BST=655)
Focus sash
-Hone Claws
-Icicle Crash
-Throat Chop
-Grav Apple/Poison Jab/Brick Break

or if you want to hit hard right away and don't mind missing occasionally
Choice Band
-Icicle Crash
-Throat Chop

Slashed slot is for whacking either bulky waters, fairies, or steels, or for priority if you want it

If Sneasel can't be used, some alternatives that can learn Hone Claws now include Rufflet, Drilbur, Galar Meowth, Skorupi, and Binacle, though none are anywhere near as fast--some are slow enough they might prefer the wall breaking route. Others like Munchlax, Pawniard, Stunky, and Axew could pull it off once we can transfer. But if they go with a band, maybe it's better to just cross-evolve to G-Darmanitan.

Does Dynamaxing ignore accuracy checks, by the way?

EDIT: added some Bolthund sets

Scraggy (Bolthund) @ Focus Sash
Jolly/Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- High Jump Kick
- Iron Head
- Dragon Dance
120 Attack and 143 speed with double stab on Crunch. Iron Head is for the fairies that will flock in to try to stop it.

Growlithe (Bolthund) @ Choice Band
Jolly/Adamant Nature
- Fire Fang/Flare Blitz
- Crunch
- Psychic Fangs
- Thunder Fang
Not quite as good I think, but with 115/120/155 offensive stats and some nice coverage from Strong Jaw, could definitely do some speedy damage. Can also go mixed or serve as a very fast revenge killer with Scarf.

And this is exactly why I think Sneasel will be banned anyways even if we get rid of Darm-G as a donor. Sneasel is a straight up offensive benomoth.....also why Throat>Koff? Did something happen that I'm unaware of?

And this is exactly why I think Sneasel will be banned anyways even if we get rid of Darm-G as a donor. Sneasel is a straight up offensive benomoth.....also why Throat>Koff? Did something happen that I'm unaware of?
Oh yeah Knock Off is totally better. Somehow I thought Sneasel was one of ones who lost access to it.

Also, we really hardly got anything this gen in terms of type changing-crevolutions. The only one of note is Drednaw, and rock usually isn't a particularly useful typing, but maybe it could help some mons who need to shed a four times weakness. The others all provide less than 170 BST of a boost.

Dunfan

formerly Dunsparce Fanboy
And for the first time in crossevo...
We get an actually fast Ice type NFE...
And Vanilluxe gets Aurora Veil now...
Meaning...

-->

Mr. Mime Galar --> Vanilluxe
70 / 95 / 85 / 120 / 110 / 120
Aurora Veil: Aurora Veil (Aurora Veil)
STABs: Psyshock/Psychic/Future Sight, Blizzard/Ice Beam/Freeze-Dry
Coverage: Thunderbolt, Focus Blast, Flash Cannon, Shadow Ball, Dazzling Gleam, Energy Ball/Grass Knot
Utility: Rapid Spin, Explosion, Taunt, Encore, Hypnosis, Skill Swap, Thunder Wave
Setup: Nasty Plot, Calm Mind, Acid Armor, Autotomize, Substitute, and Magnet Rise while we're at it
+Baton Pass if the meta is Uber-based again, yay
FUN! Aurora Veil! And 4mss!
Vanilluxe (Mr. Mime-Galar) @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Nasty Plot
- Blizzard
- Psyshock

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)