Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
awesome what other methods can i use? just in case something goes wrong
The only thing I could think of would be to just enter tournaments with the team. You seem pretty confident in the strategy and if you can start winning a lot of battles with it, it'll eventually start to catch on. Smogon generally has a culture of sharing, whether it be teams, sets or Pokemon.

And replays/tournaments are saved by upload date. So I suppose it would be workable evidence as well.

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
The "contact us" links are broken on the help page. How do I contact an administrator for support?
Can you specify where this is, I can't find this link or page.

In addition, can this be resolved by PMing a super moderator (user in the "Staff Online" list on the right)?

queso

too cheesy
is a Tiering Contributor
Can you specify where this is, I can't find this link or page.

In addition, can this be resolved by PMing a super moderator (user in the "Staff Online" list on the right)?
press help on the bottom of any forums page, then press privacy policy then press contact us (end of first sentence of privacy policy page)

The only thing I could think of would be to just enter tournaments with the team. You seem pretty confident in the strategy and if you can start winning a lot of battles with it, it'll eventually start to catch on. Smogon generally has a culture of sharing, whether it be teams, sets or Pokemon.

And replays/tournaments are saved by upload date. So I suppose it would be workable evidence as well.

well its more that the strategy is extremely fitting for my personal taste rather than STRICTLY win rate and such. im not sure if i will enter tournements because im not even sure if i will continue with pokemon at all given what a mess of a game it is but i still will need the MLG pro gamer clout in the future for other games as reference.

-I had a lot of potential ideas for buffs and nerfs to various abilities/items/moves, as well as concepts for new abilities/items/moves. Where would I post that sort of stuff for feedback? Isn't that considered theorymon-ing? What about ideas for what Pokemon seem eligible for obtaining regional forms, mega-evolutions, species-exclusive Z-Moves, Gigantamax forms, and stuff like that?

-On a similar note, where would I discuss rulesets that are more officially-sanctioned? (If only for lack of a better term; I've got nothing particularly against Smogon's tier system, Pokemon Showdown, and so on.) For example, not only various VGC seasons, but also online tournaments, friendly tournaments, and official formats from the pre-WiFi days of Pokemon, like the Stadium formats you could use in Yellow.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
-I had a lot of potential ideas for buffs and nerfs to various abilities/items/moves, as well as concepts for new abilities/items/moves. Where would I post that sort of stuff for feedback? Isn't that considered theorymon-ing? What about ideas for what Pokemon seem eligible for obtaining regional forms, mega-evolutions, species-exclusive Z-Moves, Gigantamax forms, and stuff like that?
The closest place to what you're talking about is probably a Pet Mod metagame? Most of the competitive subforums don't allow this as a matter of course because it's generally unproductive and isn't something that will ever become applicable to official metagames.

-On a similar note, where would I discuss rulesets that are more officially-sanctioned? (If only for lack of a better term; I've got nothing particularly against Smogon's tier system, Pokemon Showdown, and so on.) For example, not only various VGC seasons, but also online tournaments, friendly tournaments, and official formats from the pre-WiFi days of Pokemon, like the Stadium formats you could use in Yellow.
Battle Stadium covers the Sword and Shield ingame ladders/online competitions, VGC is self explanatory, you'd likely have some greater level of success for this kind of thing in the wifi/battle stadium/vgc discord servers.

Hi,

Not sure if this is the best place for this, but is there a resource for looking at historic tiering of Pokemon. For instance, Floatzel used to be UUBL in DP, but I only know this because i was around back then. Where might someone come across tidbits of info like this?

The closest place to what you're talking about is probably a Pet Mod metagame? Most of the competitive subforums don't allow this as a matter of course because it's generally unproductive and isn't something that will ever become applicable to official metagames.
Even if it's not likely to become part of the official formats, I suppose I wanted to get feedback on these things from a balancing/game design perspective. Isn't there a theorymon thread or something? I thought /r/stunfisk had theorymon threads weekly.

Battle Stadium covers the Sword and Shield ingame ladders/online competitions, VGC is self explanatory, you'd likely have some greater level of success for this kind of thing in the wifi/battle stadium/vgc discord servers.
Sounds good - but I wanted to discuss the actual design of various rulesets. I was thinking it'd be in a more speculative way, specifically what ruleset designs from the part would be the most fun if it were used today? Or, if/when we get the option to use the Pokemon Home app to create friendly tournaments, what rulesets will be ideal, when limited to the customization options we'll be given? For example, there were three hypothetical rulesets that have the common motif of focusing on a previous generation - let's use Gen III as an example - and I wanted to know which seems like it'd be the most fun:

1) All species available as of that generation, being the first 386 species barring the usual selection of legendaries/mythicals.
2) Only species introduced in that generation, so that'd mean species #252 to #386, again barring some legendaries/mythicals.
3) Species included within an in-game Pokedex. And if so, which game(s) would be better? This would especially apply to games where the regional dex is expanded in a later installment set in the same region, like if one goes from D/P to Platinum, B/W to B2/W2, or more recently, S/M to US/UM. Another potential factor could be how in HG/SS, various evolutions and pre-evolutions were added to the regional Pokedex, such as Yanmega.

Even if it's not likely to become part of the official formats, I suppose I wanted to get feedback on these things from a balancing/game design perspective. Isn't there a theorymon thread or something? I thought /r/stunfisk had theorymon threads weekly.

Sounds good - but I wanted to discuss the actual design of various rulesets. I was thinking it'd be in a more speculative way, specifically what ruleset designs from the part would be the most fun if it were used today? Or, if/when we get the option to use the Pokemon Home app to create friendly tournaments, what rulesets will be ideal, when limited to the customization options we'll be given? For example, there were three hypothetical rulesets that have the common motif of focusing on a previous generation - let's use Gen III as an example - and I wanted to know which seems like it'd be the most fun:

1) All species available as of that generation, being the first 386 species barring the usual selection of legendaries/mythicals.
2) Only species introduced in that generation, so that'd mean species #252 to #386, again barring some legendaries/mythicals.
3) Species included within an in-game Pokedex. And if so, which game(s) would be better? This would especially apply to games where the regional dex is expanded in a later installment set in the same region, like if one goes from D/P to Platinum, B/W to B2/W2, or more recently, S/M to US/UM. Another potential factor could be how in HG/SS, various evolutions and pre-evolutions were added to the regional Pokedex, such as Yanmega.
As Merritt already mentioned, I think you can discuss that here: https://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/pet-mods.549/

fanyfan

i once put 42 mcdonalds chicken nuggets in my anus
Hi,

Not sure if this is the best place for this, but is there a resource for looking at historic tiering of Pokemon. For instance, Floatzel used to be UUBL in DP, but I only know this because i was around back then. Where might someone come across tidbits of info like this?
What I like to do is go to a mon’s dex page. For example, here is the page for dpp Floatzel. You can see what tier it was in from there as I’m sure you can see. You can even click that tier to see what other mons were there that gen.

Also, if you go to the team builder on ps and put the format as an older gen and go to add a mon, they will be listed by tier if you like having that handy right in the teambuilder.

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hi,

Piggy backing off of fanyfan's post, you can use the Wayback Machine to see instances of Smogon's webpage from all the way back to 2005. Just put in Smogon.com and it'll show you all the snapshots it has for the site. I scoured around a bit in there and found a screen from July 4th 2008 showing Floatzel in BL in DP. Not exactly sure if this is any help to you, but here it is:

floatzel.png

As an aside, its quite fun to look around Smogon's old layouts and see how the site used to be. Some neat stuff hiding around in there!

What I like to do is go to a mon’s dex page. For example, here is the page for dpp Floatzel. You can see what tier it was in from there as I’m sure you can see. You can even click that tier to see what other mons were there that gen.

Also, if you go to the team builder on ps and put the format as an older gen and go to add a mon, they will be listed by tier if you like having that handy right in the teambuilder.
Yeah that would be their current tier placement, but thanks.
Piggy backing off of fanyfan's post, you can use the Wayback Machine to see instances of Smogon's webpage from all the way back to 2005. Just put in Smogon.com and it'll show you all the snapshots it has for the site. I scoured around a bit in there and found a screen from July 4th 2008 showing Floatzel in BL in DP. Not exactly sure if this is any help to you, but here it is:

As an aside, its quite fun to look around Smogon's old layouts and see how the site used to be. Some neat stuff hiding around in there!
Thanks so much! This is really helpful. It's so interesting to go back and be reminded of how things were way back in the day

How do I edit my signature? Since the last time I used this forum nearly two years ago, my signature has become extremely outdated and I would like to edit it.

chimp

Go Bananas
How do I edit my signature? Since the last time I used this forum nearly two years ago, my signature has become extremely outdated and I would like to edit it.
Click on your name at the top right of the screen. A drop down menu should appear with different options in it. Next to 'Account Details' is a button for 'Signature.' This should let you edit your signature.

Does anyone know how to insert sprites into posts/messages? Pokemon, eggs, balls, items, etc. I used to put them in my posts but I haven't been here in a while and forgot how... ><

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
Does anyone know how to insert sprites into posts/messages? Pokemon, eggs, balls, items, etc. I used to put them in my posts but I haven't been here in a while and forgot how... ><
An easier way to add Pokemon sprites and minisprites to posts was added, which hopefully should make life easier for you guys when posting RMTs and VR threads and the like.

For example, :bulbasaur: adds Bulbasaur's minisprite to your post: :bulbasaur:

whereas prefixing it with a generation's two-letter code adds that generation's full-size sprite / 3D model. E.g. :dp/bulbasaur: inserts Bulbasaur's DPP sprite, and :sm/bulbasaur: adds its SM model.

:dp/bulbasaur: :sm/bulbasaur:

Further tweaks / optimisations may be made to this feature, but it's currently functional enough for you all to use, so hf with it.

Sijih

game show genius
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
How would this work if we wanted 2d black and white sprites of mons that came in the 3d era?

For example, Ribombee has a 2d sprite on showdown when you click the "Use BW sprites instead of XY models", but when I write :bw/ribombee: I don't get a sprite on smogon

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 7)