Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

For now I am banking in believing that the "200ish extra pokemon" are not factoring the legendaryes. Mainly because legendaries on their own would take up what, over 100 of those.
They do say "including thw legendary pokemon" in the direct but I am putting a lot of hope into that vauge "over 200" conditional

Incidentally assuming the musketeers and gigas are there, but the UBs are not, it'd be 46, I believe. 49 with the 2 new Regi and Calyrex. And like 20 of those are already in the game...
I am assuming the 20 other mythics are back too, but those wouldnt really count towards their number either.

OK so I did want to go back to my theory on how those legendary pokemon count towards the totals and what it'd mean for just how many pokemon are coming in the pass
Here is what we definitelvey know:
  • There are "over 200" returning pokemon available
  • This number, as stated in the direct, includes the Legendary Pokemon
  • As specified on the website, there are "100+" returning Pokemon in each part of the DLC.
  • Also as stated on the website there will be a separate pokedex, each, for the Isle of Armor and Crown Tundra "Many Pokémon not found in Galar’s Wild Area make their home on The Isle of Armor and The Crown Tundra, the areas that you’ll be able to newly explore. Your Galar Pokédex will be updated so that you can register even more Pokémon as you discover them! In The Isle of Armor , you’ll be aiming to complete The Isle of Armor Pokédex, while in The Crown Tundra, you’ll be working on The Crown Tundra Pokédex! "
It's the intersection of returning pokemon + area specific dex that interets me the most. There are at least 43 legendary pokemon locked away into Tundra's Co-Op mode, with only 6-10 (depending on where the Muskeeters & Regigigas wind up) available out in the Tundra proper. It just seems odd, to me, to showcase that Tundra will have a new Pokedex and even on the assumption that there will be overlap with Galar/Armor dexes (Slowpoke, at minimum, will need to be in Armor & Tundra) but then lock away nearly 50 pokemon to a co-op mode where you must no doubt tediously search for & defeat random legendary Pokemon to get a shot at throwing one (1) ball at them. Even if they tweak the mechanics at these special raids (like being a guaranteed catch) that's still a lot of raids not even in the tundra proper.

To me, this seems more like the + part of 200+ might be closer to (but probably not quite reach) 250 with the co-op legendary pokemon constituting a...let's just call it "bonus" segment, while there will still be 100-ish "normal" pokemon available in Tundra alone. Note that I also expect the birds, the golems and possibly the muskeeteers to be counted normally within the Tundra since they seem to be hyped up as things you can encounter around the Tundra.

I also do not think their projected numbers necessarily includes the Mythical pokemon, all of which I expect to come back. If they all do we'd still be under 300 but quite a bit more towards completion of everyone is here.

In theory, anyway. It's possible gamefreak just shrugs and puts them all in the dex normally as if it wouldn't be weird and we have closer to i dunno 40 normal pokemon coming in Tundra.

I think it's worth keeping in mind that for the Pokedexes and Pokémon availability itself, it's not like it'll be just the newly added Pokémon. Isle of Armor could easily have Cherubi and Roselia and Barboach going about their day while Crown Tundra has Bergmite and Sneasel you can find. So in terms of a Pokédex being stuffed full of legendaries, they at least wouldn't take up 50%.

... still gonna look dumb, though.

Is there any confirmation on what will be allowed to transfer into Sword/Shield through Home in February, if anything?

I assume that the "over 200" number means "200 regular Pokémon + the legendaries".
I'm thinking the total will be around 210 or something. Typically when they say there will be more yet to be shown XYZ, it tends to be a small amount.

I think it's worth keeping in mind that for the Pokedexes and Pokémon availability itself, it's not like it'll be just the newly added Pokémon. Isle of Armor could easily have Cherubi and Roselia and Barboach going about their day while Crown Tundra has Bergmite and Sneasel you can find. So in terms of a Pokédex being stuffed full of legendaries, they at least wouldn't take up 50%.

... still gonna look dumb, though.
Right, I tried accoutning for that possibility above. But even in a Tundra dex that's lets say...200 pokemon, with 50 of those being normal old pokemon. About a quarter of that dex would be pokemon stuck in co-op. It'd be a little weird.

There's also one factor to consider. The new areas might also have new pokemon, both in regional forms (we already saw a few) and actually new ones (which we also saw the legendaries).
With USUM setting a precedent for "actual new pokemon in middle of a gen", it's not to exclude that we could get even non-legendary new additions somewhere.
The thought has definitely crossed my mind but I have doubts that they'd include that many to "offset" a would-be legendary bountiful Tundra dex.
I do think there will be one or two more galarian form-exclusive (sighh) evolutions, though. my big hope is they introduce normal Perserker, Mr Rime, Sirfetch'd, Cursola, Runerigrus & Obstagoo

Is there any confirmation on what will be allowed to transfer into Sword/Shield through Home in February, if anything?

I'm thinking the total will be around 210 or something. Typically when they say there will be more yet to be shown XYZ, it tends to be a small amount.
There's no confirmation. We have a general assumption on being able to transfer all of the pokemon currently in the game but unreleased, but strictly speaking we don't know if they'll arbitrarily block them.

You keep asking this about both Home and the expansions. I know you're excited (... or concerned?) but what we've said to you each time is the full extent of what's known until the next trailer, update or otherwise.

Noticed that the new update fixed a bug with the effort ribbon giver where the dialogue would still be visible in the box menu, and also overlap the selection text underneath. Did you know that you can't select a fainted pokemon here?

Prepatch video: https://streamable.com/0t25o
Postpatch video: https://streamable.com/hi7me

1579663539151.png

EDIT: Actually they didn't fix the bug, I just saw it happen again.
Video: https://streamable.com/uupmd
Also something to note, the friendship tracker works right and clears his dialog box before opening the box menu. Compare to the original postpatch video where the box menu appears 'above' the dialogue without it ever closing.
Friendship video: https://streamable.com/pv6rq

Last edited:
Damn, undertale and botw still going strong.

Nothing too surprising though it’s kinda funny seeing it so close to fire emblem. It’s still the number 1 media franchise in the world and I think it really goes to show that loud online fandom does not in any way make up a significant amount of sales at the end of the day even when it looks like stuff like dexit is a huge deal for people.

Last edited:

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Does Nintendo’s quarterly report come out at the end of Jan or Feb? will be curious to see sales data.

so im kinda not sure where to put this

i've had a sneasel spawn on route 8 and then chase me into circhester (the entrance, sorta) before i triggered the encounter with the sneasel. when i caught the sneasel the location shows as met in circhester :blobthinking:
figured it was noteworthy enough to put this somewhere since there are no wild pokemon in circhester, so i guess this is probably only relevant for legality checks and shit? didnt stop nintendo from banning level 36 bisharps though iirc lol

One smaller aspect I'm slowly realising is that since these DLC areas are digital-only, it's far less likely that they'll get leaked and datamined a month beforehand; breaking that cycle we've had since ORAS.
I was thinking the same thing but now that we've said it, some how, some way, the dlc will leak out

so im kinda not sure where to put this

i've had a sneasel spawn on route 8 and then chase me into circhester (the entrance, sorta) before i triggered the encounter with the sneasel. when i caught the sneasel the location shows as met in circhester :blobthinking:
figured it was noteworthy enough to put this somewhere since there are no wild pokemon in circhester, so i guess this is probably only relevant for legality checks and shit? didnt stop nintendo from banning level 36 bisharps though iirc lol
There are a number of places you can get this to happen in the Wild Area too. Even some dens can be used from different sides in different areas. I don't think it'll matter for legality until Gen 9 transfers happen.

One smaller aspect I'm slowly realising is that since these DLC areas are digital-only, it's far less likely that they'll get leaked and datamined a month beforehand; breaking that cycle we've had since ORAS.
Someone responded this with a sad emoticon, so I've gotta make it clear: I'm EXCITED about this!! SwSh pre-release was hell for me as I was trying like heck to avoid spoilers for about a month; including avoiding social media sites and keeping away from certain private chats, and while the memories are vague now I recall having similar situations for Gen 7 and ORAS too. Not having that and just being able to go into a game and experience it fresh is so, so, so much more preferable; finding out the full lists of all the new pokemon and stats and formulas and yadda yadda can come later, right now I just want to play the game!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)