SPL XI - Commencement Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
so, like, whatever happened to the rest of the team features yalls just kinda gave up on 'em once the tourney actually started

RE: Turn Limit

The turn limit was accidentally removed in a PS update. There has been no policy posts, no reports of this mistake or anything. The turn limit has been part of Smogon tournaments for years now and most players, especially at an SPL level, expect it and play with it in mind. The turn limit is still 1000 turns even if it isn't enforced by PS at this moment.
literally never heard of this turn limit and obviously nobody has been playing with it in mind because most others didn't know about it either, it's dumb and makes no sense and isn't stated anywhere in any ruleset

Did we forget about the Tiba/Beds thing in SPL 6 where everyone was pissed off about PO having a similar arbitrary turn limit due to technical limitations?

Deleted User 229847

Banned deucer.
so, like, whatever happened to the rest of the team features yalls just kinda gave up on 'em once the tourney actually started

literally never heard of this turn limit and obviously nobody has been playing with it in mind because most others didn't know about it either, it's dumb and makes no sense and isn't stated anywhere in any ruleset

Did we forget about the Tiba/Beds thing in SPL 6 where everyone was pissed off about PO having a similar arbitrary turn limit due to technical limitations?
I don't think we will have another 1000+ turn game anyway, but the rule definitely should have been stated somewhere since not even the players knew about this.

Deleted User 229847

Banned deucer.
>chansey-less current gen

Oh boy don't I love playing against/watching 4 statuppers (cloyster in particular) per team with clefable on close to 70% of them...

>chansey-less current gen

Oh boy don't I love playing against/watching 4 statuppers (cloyster in particular) per team with clefable on close to 70% of them...
Oh boy, don't you love fact checking small implications of examples given in a meme and comparing them to your own subjective perception!
What great fun! Now let's all approach everything mildly humoristic more scholarly to see if there are more non-factual things in the internet!

jk, yeah gen 8 isn't the best, i agree, i needed examples to get the point across ;)

Sceptross

The words were voted out by a landslide
is a Community Contributor
Some quick words to explain why I am being sold back without revealing too much about myself on a thread read thousands of times:

There have been unforeseen irl circumstances that happened a couple of weeks ago, related to work. It's a rather... unique situation (that I explained to my teammates, but I won't post here, obviously) that could never, ever have been predicted by me (or anyone really) prior to it happening, and it happed around 2 weeks ago (aka after the tour started).

I was put in a situation where I was forced to put real life over Pokemon... and since that meant that I couldnt be a proper asset to the Wolfpack, we decided me that being sold back was the best for the team.

I'd like to give a shoutout to all my teammates, you guys were great throughout these weeks we've been together. Thank you for understanding the situation I was presented with and being supportive about it. To my managers, thank you for the trust you put in me. You guys are all the best and I hope we bring home the red <3

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Forgive me if this isn't my place, but I feel the need to throw a word in for Sceptross. I'm not going to reveal anything that he hasn't, but knowing more about the situation, this kind of feels like infracting Adam for that time in SPL6 when he dipped on his team because a car crash put him in the ICU. Sometimes completely awful IRL circumstances come up and you can't possibly have seen it coming. Sceptross is hardly teetering on the brink of a ban with this new infraction, and I understand if we can't make exceptions for every sob story, so maybe it's not a huge deal, but it just feels wrong seeing this situation tied to the phrase "poor sportsmanship." Honestly, he could have said nothing and stayed on the team with hopes for a trophy, I doubt we would have noticed anything was up. Asking to be sold back because he didn't think his sticking around would be best for the Woflpack is admirable sportsmanship if anything.

Forgive me if this isn't my place, but I feel the need to throw a word in for Sceptross. I'm not going to reveal anything that he hasn't, but knowing more about the situation, this kind of feels like infracting Adam for that time in SPL6 when he dipped on his team because a car crash put him in the ICU. Sometimes completely awful IRL circumstances come up and you can't possibly have seen it coming. Sceptross is hardly teetering on the brink of a ban with this new infraction, and I understand if we can't make exceptions for every sob story, so maybe it's not a huge deal, but it just feels wrong seeing this situation tied to the phrase "poor sportsmanship." Honestly, he could have said nothing and stayed on the team with hopes for a trophy, I doubt we would have noticed anything was up. Asking to be sold back because he didn't think his sticking around would be best for the Woflpack is admirable sportsmanship if anything.
Agreed completely! If his team understands the situation and unexpected circumstances irl put you in this situation, why should you be banned from participating in SPL XII? Sometimes life happens, and i think it is way too harsh... It feels like telling an injured athlete he isn't allowed to participate in the following season because he tore his ACL this season... so IF his team is fine and understanding with him leaving for irl, then let him participate in the next SPL. Personally, in such a case, i would even allow a retention next season, but that's just me. Maybe a "IRL clause" where people can point tough situations out to the TDs and and if the team managers confirm, could be implemented to allow such sellbacks without infractions.
Just saying... life happens and this is just pokemon!

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
Agreed completely! If his team understands the situation and unexpected circumstances irl put you in this situation, why should you be banned from participating in SPL XII? Sometimes life happens, and i think it is way too harsh... It feels like telling an injured athlete he isn't allowed to participate in the following season because he tore his ACL this season... so IF his team is fine and understanding with him leaving for irl, then let him participate in the next SPL. Personally, in such a case, i would even allow a retention next season, but that's just me. Maybe a "IRL clause" where people can point tough situations out to the TDs and and if the team managers confirm, could be implemented to allow such sellbacks without infractions.
Just saying... life happens and this is just pokemon!
The problem with that is that 1. such info could easily be faked and 2. TDs asking for personal information is problematic so it can't be verified. I'm sure Sceptross genuinely has IRL issues that came up but it's easy to see such a clause being abused by people who were rightfully infracted.

Deleted User 229847

Banned deucer.
The problem with that is that 1. such info could easily be faked and 2. TDs asking for personal information is problematic so it can't be verified. I'm sure Sceptross genuinely has IRL issues that came up but it's easy to see such a clause being abused by people who were rightfully infracted.
I mean we have rules against ghosting and teamworking and all we do is believe in the good morals of the players since there's no way we can actually check if ghosting has taken place or not (unless someone leaks the act itself which is completely different). We are all trusting others not to cheat. I don't know what happened to Sceptross and I superficially know him from past experiences together, but I don't understand why we should infract the player.

fran17

(1999)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Kebab mlml for me is a player with no preceding.
He never does a conservative play, never.
It's like watching a von Trier's film, there's something ascetic in his way to play: a pilgrim who goes straight on his road through the jungle whatever happens around him.
Congratulation to who gets him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)