Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Because people can't handle any amount of counterplay
Maybe you will come around on this one and see that Dugtrio isn't the problem but Overcentralizing pokemon that take no risk and all reward (Lando-T) are the real toxic parts of the metagame.
lando checks.PNG

:bloblul:

Buddy, you got here yesterday. No one is going to take your big-shot posts seriously, especially if all you're going to do is dunk on Smogon. I recommend you change your plan of attack if you don't want to continue making a fool out of yourself.

Good description. Double switching can also be rather risky. In this case, the double switch is not that risky. Rotom H matches reasonably well into clef and you don't have much fear of him staying in. The worst case scenario, really, is that he predicts the double and chooses to switch into something that threatens rotom H.
There are some cases were the mon he currently has in checks the mon you would be switching in for the double, so there is the risk of him staying in.
Yeah, I tried to explain that, but that goes into its own rabbit hole of predicting predictions and trying to figure out how your opponent is thinking. I was also trying to keep it a little more simplified as it is an inherently difficult/ risky play that I'm not amazing at myself.

How exactly does Stalwart/Propeller Tail work? It says they ignore abilities that draw in moves, but is it just the draw in or do they also ignore the immunity they give? I'm going to assume it is just the draw in, but I wanted to check.

What's the deal with the Metronome item? It doesn't seem like it was buffed in gen 8 or anything but I've seen a couple of sets floating around that utilize it (Substitute Kyurem and Primarina off of the top of my head). I've followed competitive Pokemon since Gen 4 and have literally never seen the item used ever in any generation. Is there any particular reason people are starting to find use with it now?

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
What's the deal with the Metronome item? It doesn't seem like it was buffed in gen 8 or anything but I've seen a couple of sets floating around that utilize it (Substitute Kyurem and Primarina off of the top of my head). I've followed competitive Pokemon since Gen 4 and have literally never seen the item used ever in any generation. Is there any particular reason people are starting to find use with it now?
It's definitely not exclusively used in gen 8, but it is particularly useful this gen to gradually break through common bulky Pokemon with reliable recovery such as Clefable, Corviknight, and Toxapex.

To add to the post above, Metronome was changed I believe between gens 4 and 5. Previously you reached double power after 10 turns, and it was adjusted to reach double power after 5, which is an enormous buff. I believe it wasn’t really “discovered” until gen 6 or 7, but it did see some use last gen. It’s nice because it allows you to break through bulky mons even if you don’t have boosting moves or the moveslot to devote to them.

E6969A68-6D73-4957-9067-AE21FD850CBA.jpeg
Blastoise @ Mystic Water / White Herb / Liechi Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Aqua Jet / Earthquake / Ice Punch
- Substitute / Earthquake / Ice Punch
- Shell Smash

Hey guys, I saw Blastoise got shell smash this gen so I’ve been messing around w it a bit to moderate success. I like it more than SS Cloyster and Barbaracle because it’s easier to set up (due to pure water typing and surprise factor) and Torrent makes it pretty powerful (reminds of of BW Feraligatr in OU). However, I’m having trouble settling on a set and finding good teammates.

So far I prefer the first set. Liquidation and SS are obvious. I like aqua jet cuz getting into Torrent range makes Blastoise vulnerable to priority. Substitute ensures getting into Torrent range and helps avoid status/set up on defensive pokes. I’ve been using Mystic Water over White Herb cuz Blastoise is often slower than offensive pokes and thus isn’t attacked with lowered defenses and doesn’t care if it’s defenses are lowered by SS against faster pokes. Added power from Mystic Water does not hurt either.

Earthquake could potentially help with Toxapex (still might haze you anyway) and Ice Punch also hits a lotta water resists (one of these over Aqua Jet also lets you set up and beat most Seismitoads). Thus, I could be open to replacing Substitute or Aqua Jet with one of these. However, I think Blastoise’s highest potential might be the first set I’ve posted and have been using rain teams that spam water to wear down a lotta these checks and help Blastoise sweep late game. That being said, if my strategy was working well I wouldn’t be posting here, so what do you guys think?

Here is an example of why I like my initial set. That being said, it was low ladder and his team did not have many water resists (neither crit mattered at the end btw)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1083035909

Last edited:
I'm coming back after a long time and have one major question: what is a solid framework/template for building a balance style team this generation? In earlier generations (3-5) it was easier because the game had less threats overall in OU metagame and there were other broken concepts such as gen 5 weather and gen 3 TSS and Mag/Dug. In generation 8 I'm struggling to create a team of this type that functions properly without major holes in it. I know that balance teams are the most fluid in terms of framework, but I would at least like a nudge in the right direction.

Hey, quick question.... are moves like toxic on umbreon banned in vgc20 / smogon ou? Or is breeding a umbreon with these moves legit? thanks in advance!

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
Hey, quick question.... are moves like toxic on umbreon banned in vgc20 / smogon ou? Or is breeding a umbreon with these moves legit? thanks in advance!
It's allowed in Smogon OU. I believe it's not allowed in VGC 2020 because Pokemon have to be caught/hatched in Galar to be eligible in that format, but don't quote me on that.

My friend wants to get into pokemon showdown cuz of the quarantine in the USA, however, he has never played pokemon in his life (like he has no idea about even which types are super effect against each other; let alone which strategies/sets people commonly use in OU on the ladder). We think the best way for him to learn quickly is to spam games on the ladder; could someone recommend a good sample team that will help him learn the fundamentals of the game?

My friend wants to get into pokemon showdown cuz of the quarantine in the USA, however, he has never played pokemon in his life (like he has no idea about even which types are super effect against each other; let alone which strategies/sets people commonly use in OU on the ladder). We think the best way for him to learn quickly is to spam games on the ladder; could someone recommend a good sample team that will help him learn the fundamentals of the game?
Spamming ladder works, though I'd also recommend just going onto rand bats and getting used to it there. He gets an idea of the different pokemon, common moves and strategies in a fairly fast paced game. He can get used to understanding different mechanics, different move types, type match ups, coverages, and you can do it unranked, so he'll get exposed to some good and bad players. Obviously you'd be helping out, but that could work.

As far as sample teams go, checking the OU cores is a great resource and checking RMT's (might want to a look before hand, teams range from bad to great there) for ideas and sample teams is always helpful.

He should probably learn the basics, such as learning the typing char, learning what EVs are, what STAB is, etc.

What are the best answers to break a core of Corvi, Clef and Pex/Toad?

And is there a forum for gen 8 cores? I'm new here so maybe someone can link it to me :)

What are the best answers to break a core of Corvi, Clef and Pex/Toad?
A Clefable or Toxapex of your own with Knock Off can be really annoying for cores such as these to deal with, especially when you pair them with Pokemon like Kyurem, Dragapult, and Aegislash. Teams that elect to drop Seismitoad in favor of Toxapex often don't have the best matchup against Rotom-H and Bulk Up Zeraora too.

And is there a forum for gen 8 cores? I'm new here so maybe someone can link it to me :)
It's right here, but it hasn't been updated in well over four months.

Sorry to post here again lol, but could someone link me to the popular SPL rain team with Mantine and Seismitoad as swift swimmers? That’s all I remember about it (I think Mandibuzz and Ferrothorn were on it too maybe?) and I can’t remember where I found it earlier

Last edited:
Sorry to post here again lol, but could someone link me to the popular SPL rain team with Mantine and Seismitoad as swift swimmers? That’s all I remember about it (I think Mandibuzz and Ferrothorn were on it too maybe?) and I can’t remember where I found it earlier
Here is a paste of the team. It's not that great at this point, though. It significantly struggles against Kyurem and its matchup against some other Pokemon like Zeraora and Calm Mind Clefable + a Pokemon that's immune to Water isn't very ideal either.

Hey, trying to get a Rotom-W for my team. I saw some EV spreads like this: 252/0/20/60/148/28, can somebody explain me why you put these numbers there? Which Pokémon does this counter? And what would be a good IV spread (with nature) for a bulky defensive Rotom-W? Thank you <3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)