Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

First of all, to whoever added back the Gen 7 DOU ladder recently, thank you, thank you, thank you! It is in higher demand (based on battles at any given time) than Gen 1-6 OU or Gen 8 DUU, it's the only current non-Dynamax doubles alternative and it doesn't interfere too much, and is complementary, with Gen 8 DOU, since the mons used are so different.

One small thing I noted: the Legendary Beasts (Suicune, Entei and Raikou) can't use their Gen 7 hidden ability Inner Focus now. They have always had this in Gen 7, as long as I've played.

See e.g.:

replay 1
replay 2
replay 3

None of the Legendary Beasts is remotely close to broken in Gen 7 DOU with Inner Focus, and I don't think any are ranked above tier 4. It would be great if this can be fixed (i.e., Inner Focus added back). I'll let you guys know if I run into any other kinks. I know the ladder has only been up for a few days. Thank you so much again!!! Hope the ladder can stay up as long as people enjoy playing. The reinstatement of the Gen 7 DOU ladder (and ability to get games once again, for someone who doesn't play singles and isn't a fan of dynamax) is one of the happiest things I've come across recently, in these trying times of global pandemic...

LOOKS LIKE THIS ISSUE HAS BEEN TAKEN CARE OF! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Last edited:
Reactions: pqs
First of all, to whoever added back the Gen 7 DOU ladder recently, thank you, thank you, thank you! It is in higher demand (based on battles at any given time) than Gen 1-6 OU or Gen 8 UU, it's the only current non-Dynamax doubles alternative and it doesn't interfere too much, and is complementary, with Gen 8 DOU, since the mons used are so different.

One small thing I noted: the Legendary Beasts (Suicune, Entei and Raikou) can't use their Gen 7 hidden ability Inner Focus now. They have always had this in Gen 7, as long as I've played.

See e.g.:

replay 1
replay 2
replay 3

None of the Legendary Beasts is remotely close to broken in Gen 7 DOU with Inner Focus, and I don't think any are ranked above tier 4. It would be great if this can be fixed (i.e., Inner Focus added back). I'll let you guys know if I run into any other kinks. I know the ladder has only been up for a few days. Thank you so much again!!! Hope the ladder can stay up as long as people enjoy playing. The reinstatement of the Gen 7 DOU ladder (and ability to get games once again, for someone who doesn't play singles and isn't a fan of dynamax) is one of the happiest things I've come across recently, in these trying times of global pandemic...
I heavily agree with this. I also thank whoever returned the other the Gen 7 tiers available, and I'll politely ask them to complete the job with RU, NU, and BSS. I really miss them.

No one beats the bug

I COULD BE BANNED!
I had 2 threads disappear . My questions are "to where" and "how come"
I realize this is 2 questions, but they are related so I've put them into a single post rather than 2

Jerry the great

Banned deucer.
I had 2 threads disappear . My questions are "to where" and "how come"
I realize this is 2 questions, but they are related so I've put them into a single post rather than 2
Your threads were most likely deleted by a staff member. If you want to know why, you can ask said staff member and they can answer. As for me, I can't answer "how come" as I am not a staff member.

Edit: Also as to who may have deleted it, I also cannot answer, but I'd ask the staff of the forum your threads were deleted in and you might get your answer. By asking on their profile or via conversation is the best way to do it.

Last edited:
How can you make your own thread if you have a cool idea for an OM? Or do you have to explain it to a mod so they make a thread about it?

Jerry the great

Banned deucer.
How can you make your own thread if you have a cool idea for an OM? Or do you have to explain it to a mod so they make a thread about it?
There is a thing at the top of most forums labeled "Post new thread". However, there is 1 thing that you need to do to create a new OM, and this goes for most threads anywhere if you aren't staff of said forum yourself or something else I may be forgetting.
1: Get a moderator of the OM forum to see if it's OK for you to make. If not, or you don't even bother asking, your thread will most likely get locked. Then nobody can speak on it.

For OMs specifically, there's a subforum at the top called "OM Submissions" that you need to post your proposal in.

You can also bounce ideas around before then in the Metagame Workshop.

Goodbye & Thanks

Thrown in a fire?
I'm sorry if this isn't the right place to post this and it may be a strange question, but did any of you have pretty bad tournament nerves when you first started competing? For a while, I used to just play on the ladder but I would still follow stuff like SPL. After I made it on to the top 500 ladder for SS OU (which I get isn't much of an accomplishment but it was my goal), I decided to make a smogon account and try the more competitive tournament scene, starting with the Classic cups and Smogon Tours. I've had fun, but it has also been an incredibly stressful experience for me. I don't know why, but I get very anxious waiting for my tournament games and also while playing. I played basketball competitively most of my life, and I would get nervous before games, but once it started, there wasn't as much time to think so my nerves would dissipate. However with pokemon, it's all thinking, so things like waiting to see if your double switch works or if they stay in for some reason is way more agonizing to me than stuff like shooting important free throws lol. I'm also not under some false pretense that I should win all of my games and I'm not a sore loser when I lose. I tend to feel badly about how I played and be hard on myself when I lose, but I haven't really gotten frustrated much by pokemon. It felt kind of self-indulgent to write this and I don't want to come across as someone who's just all in their feelings. I also get that this is just a game to have fun with and doesn't really matter, but the stress/nerves have been detracting from something that I do truly enjoy. So I guess I was looking to see if anyone else felt like this when they started entering tournaments, if it gets better in time, and if anyone had any tips to potentially get a better perspective? Thanks to anyone who read this.

Last edited:
I'm sorry if this isn't the right place to post this and it may be a strange question, but did any of you have pretty bad tournament nerves when you first started competing? For a while, I used to just play on the ladder but I would still follow stuff like SPL. After I made it on to the top 500 ladder for SS OU (which I get isn't much of an accomplishment but it was my goal), I decided to make a smogon account and try the more competitive tournament scene, starting with the Classic cups and Smogon Tours. I've had fun, but it has also been an incredibly stressful experience for me. I don't know why, but I get very anxious waiting for my tournament games and also while playing. I played basketball competitively most of my life, and I would get nervous before games, but once it started, there wasn't as much time to think so my nerves would dissipate. However with pokemon, it's all thinking, so things like waiting to see if your double switch works or if they stay in for some reason is way more agonizing to me than stuff like shooting important free throws lol. I'm also not under some false pretense that I should win all of my games and I'm not a sore loser when I lose. I tend to feel badly about how I played and be hard on myself when I lose, but I haven't really gotten frustrated much by pokemon. It felt kind of self-indulgent to write this and I don't want to come across as someone who's just all in their feelings. I also get that this is just a game to have fun with and doesn't really matter, but the stress/nerves have been detracting from something that I do truly enjoy. So I guess I was looking to see if anyone else felt like this when they started entering tournaments, if it gets better in time, and if anyone had any tips to potentially get a better perspective? Thanks to anyone who read this.
I'm of the opinion that nerves never completely go away. Your goal shouldn't be to focus on getting rid of them as much as improving your decision making when you are feeling nervous. Think of your playing ability as a spectrum between your best (no nerves, max focus) and your worst (distracted and shaking). If you shorten that spectrum, the variance in your play won't be as problematic. Of course, you also need to improve your overall spectrum at the same time.

Fortunately, the best answer to both goals is to play and practice. You want to maximize your familiarity with as many situations as possible so that choosing the right play becomes systematic. Memorize damage calcs, review your replays, play regularly, and talk with peers about situations.

Pokemon is mostly a flow-chart game and you get a lot of time to make a move for each of your turns. Knowing your metagame and loading good teams does most of the work for you. Beyond that, you just need to know the risk-reward and expected outcome of all the situations that may arise.

Goodbye & Thanks

Thrown in a fire?
I'm of the opinion that nerves never completely go away. Your goal shouldn't be to focus on getting rid of them as much as improving your decision making when you are feeling nervous. Think of your playing ability as a spectrum between your best (no nerves, max focus) and your worst (distracted and shaking). If you shorten that spectrum, the variance in your play won't be as problematic. Of course, you also need to improve your overall spectrum at the same time.

Fortunately, the best answer to both goals is to play and practice. You want to maximize your familiarity with as many situations as possible so that choosing the right play becomes systematic. Memorize damage calcs, review your replays, play regularly, and talk with peers about situations.

Pokemon is mostly a flow-chart game and you get a lot of time to make a move for each of your turns. Knowing your metagame and loading good teams does most of the work for you. Beyond that, you just need to know the risk-reward and expected outcome of all the situations that may arise.
That's a good way to think about things; thank you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 8)