SPOILERS! Mysteries and Conspiracies of Pokemon

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So in the Pokemon World Tournament the Gym Leaders start the battle by sending out their Signature Pokemon. But if that's true then we got some strange cases:

Janine's Signature is Venomoth and not Crobat.
Clair's Signature is Dragonite and not Kingdra.
Brycen's Signature is Cryogonal and not Beartic

So in the Pokemon World Tournament the Gym Leaders start the battle by sending out their Signature Pokemon. But if that's true then we got some strange cases:

Janine's Signature is Venomoth and not Crobat.
Clair's Signature is Dragonite and not Kingdra.
Brycen's Signature is Cryogonal and not Beartic
Brycen using Cryogonal as his ace is weird, but Clair's ace is still Kingdra, and Venomoth was always Janine's ace.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Brycen using Cryogonal as his ace is weird, but Clair's ace is still Kingdra, and Venomoth was always Janine's ace.
For Clair I checked Bulbapedia and it does mention this, I guess Serebii's page was wrong who she sends out first.

And huh, Janine's ace is Venomoth. I guess I assumed it would be the same as her father's, Koga.

I guess this is a mystery? It's mostly just "thing that creeps me out immensely" but it didn't fit in the annoyance thread. Anyway, Emmet and Ingo.

To borrow and misuse a phrase from our Lord and Savior, Brian David Gilbert (safety fan and bureaucratic wunderkind),

What the fuck? Hey Junichi? WHAT THE FU-

Not only do these weirdos look like muppets thanks to their giant mouths and fixed expressions, but Emmet's dialogue is disturbingly simple.

Double Train

Before battle
"I am Emmet. I am a Subway Boss. I like Double Battles. I like combinations of two Pokémon. And I like winning more than anything else. So let's start a great battle in which every Pokémon uses various moves."

When victorious
"I am Emmet. I won against you. But I think I just got lucky. In a Double Battle, if you misread one thing, the rest will be totally different. You know. Please win 20 battles in a row, and fight with me!"

When defeated
"I am Emmet. I lost against you. Because you are the strongest Trainer I've fought lately. You're a verrrrry strong Trainer! Yup! It was fun! Ride the trains some more!"

Super Double Train

Before battle
"Hi, do you remember me? I am Emmet. I am a Subway Boss. I like Double Battles. I like combinations of two Pokémon. And I like winning more than anything else. This time, I am really serious. Really serious. Because if a battle is not serious, it is not fun."

When victorious
"I am Emmet. I won against you. But this is not the end. I am sure you will show up here again. I will wait for it and win against you again. Because I am a Subway Boss. I am Emmet."

When defeated
"I am Emmet. I am a Subway Boss, but I lost against you again. But I feel good. Because it was very fun! You want to win, and I don't want to lose. That's real. When we clash in battles, I feel very excited!"

Multi Train

Before battle
"Follow the rules. Safe driving! Follow the schedule. Everybody smile! Check safety. Everything's ready! Aim for victory! All aboard!"

When victorious
"I am Emmet. I won together with Ingo. But if we fight again, we won't know what to expect. That's why we are waiting for you to come back!"

When defeated
"I am Emmet. I lost together with Ingo. Your combination is the best, perfect! You're verrrrry strong Trainers. Yup! It was so much fun!"

Super Multi Train

Before battle
"What I do. What I say. Always the same. Follow the rules. Safe driving! Follow the schedules. Everyone smile! Check safety. Everything's ready! Aim for victory! All aboard!"

When victorious
"I am Emmet. We won, but I am not really satisfied. I can tell that you won't give up. Because you will be much, much stronger. That's why we are waiting for you to come back!"

When defeated
"I am Emmet. We lost against you again. But I am satisfied. You are too strong! The strength you have, your trust in your Pokémon, their never-ending support! Yep! It was the most fun battle ever! Please come back soon!"

Nimbasa City

Before talking to Nate/Rosa
"I'm Emmet. I'm a Subway Boss. I love Double Battles! And I love the combination of two Pokémon!"

Before battle
"Follow the rules and drive safely! We're headed for victory! All aboard!"

When defeated
"I am Emmet. I lost together with Ingo. Your combination is the best. Perfect! You're verrrrry strong Trainers!"

After being defeated
"I'm Emmet. While I may have lost to you… I had a good time! Let's play again sometime!"

Seriously, what is the deal with these guys? Why are their faces frozen like a pair of drama masks? Why does Emmet talk like a four-year-old?

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!

To borrow and misuse a phrase from our Lord and Savior, Brian David Gilbert (safety fan and bureaucratic wunderkind),

What the fuck? Hey Junichi? WHAT THE FU-

Not only do these weirdos look like muppets thanks to their giant mouths and fixed expressions, but Emmet's dialogue is disturbingly simple.
Huh, I just noticed something. While Emmet's dialogue is simple and dry/straight forward, just stating things matter-of-factly, Ingo's dialogue has much more robust and passionate.

Now, after being told this, who you you think is Ingo and Emmet? The smiling white clothes guy is the upbeat Ingo and the frowning black clothed guy is the stern Emmet? WRONG!

Like, I knew one talked like a robot and the other more excitedly, but I never realized that they apparently gave each brother the opposite character trait their stock art would indicate they would have!

Huh, I just noticed something. While Emmet's dialogue is simple and dry/straight forward, just stating things matter-of-factly, Ingo's dialogue has much more robust and passionate.

Now, after being told this, who you you think is Ingo and Emmet? The smiling white clothes guy is the upbeat Ingo and the frowning black clothed guy is the stern Emmet? WRONG!

Like, I knew one talked like a robot and the other more excitedly, but I never realized that they apparently gave each brother the opposite character trait their stock art would indicate they would have!
I wouldn't call Emmet's dialogue "stern". Ingo is certainly much more eloquent, and he speaks with passion that doesn't fit his perpetual scowl, but Emmet says stuff like "You're a verrrrry strong Trainer! Yup! It was fun!" and "While I may have lost to you… I had a good time! Let's play again sometime!"

He doesn't strike me as sounding stoic or robotic. He strikes me as sounding like a cheerful and very young child who just learned how to talk.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I wouldn't call Emmet's dialogue "stern". Ingo is certainly much more eloquent, and he speaks with passion that doesn't fit his perpetual scowl, but Emmet says stuff like "You're a verrrrry strong Trainer! Yup! It was fun!" and "While I may have lost to you… I had a good time! Let's play again sometime!"

He doesn't strike me as sounding stoic or robotic. He strikes me as sounding like a cheerful and very young child who just learned how to talk.
Huh, I also guess that's a way of reading it. Infact let me pick out some lines:

"I am Emmet. I lost against you. Because you are the strongest Trainer I've fought lately. You're a verrrrry strong Trainer! Yup! It was fun! Ride the trains some more!"
"Hi, do you remember me? I am Emmet. I am a Subway Boss. I like Double Battles. I like combinations of two Pokémon. And I like winning more than anything else. This time, I am really serious. Really serious. Because if a battle is not serious, it is not fun."
"I am Emmet. I am a Subway Boss, but I lost against you again. But I feel good. Because it was very fun! You want to win, and I don't want to lose. That's real. When we clash in battles, I feel very excited!"
"What I do. What I say. Always the same. Follow the rules. Safe driving! Follow the schedules. Everyone smile! Check safety. Everything's ready! Aim for victory! All aboard!"
... Is Emmet supposed to be, like, "special". Because if you don't include the part where he says his name/occupation these lines read like they're from at least two different characters if not all from different characters.

Emmet honestly reads like someone with the mask gimmick would do. Just very...cheerful. Not "comedic" per-say but I think it lines up. Read it in a quasi-sing-song clown voice, it fits pretty well I think.

Incidentally I think if you see Ingo less as "Tragedy" and more just like...the drama that would also be represented by it dialog like...
"Welcome! I've been waiting for you! Let me introduce myself... I am the Subway Boss Ingo. What can I see after winning, winning, and winning? Where is my destination? I've kept thinking, and I've learned one thing. That is, you cannot know what happens after winning without winning. Therefore, I will exert every possible effort to battle with you. All aboard!"
gives me vibes like ingo's a drama club nerd and probably has a moleskin diary

Something I noticed a while ago but never got around to posting: Zygarde and Eternatus look kinda similar.
poke_capture_0718_000_uk_n_00000000_f_n.png

poke_capture_0890_000_uk_n_00000000_f_n.png

Serpentine bodies, five spines on head, blank segmented eyes, general otherworldly appearance. Not saying they're dead ringers of each other, but they give off similar vibes. Their powers are also vaguely similar, with Zygarde being capable of reversing the energies of Xerneas and Yveltal, and Eternatus being capable of using its energy to suppress its opponents' attacks or power them up into Dynamax form.

I dunno, the similarities seem kind of superficial and even the comparison on their powers doesnt really...work similarly at all. Like you could probably make similar comparisons to the other rhitrd wheels.

And hell Eternatus can only supress attacks when Eternamaxed because it is channeling so much energy from teh entire region it's breaking space & time and Zygarde can't power up anything.

Honestly Eternatus kind of seems like maybe...intentionally reversing the usual dynamic?
From a narrative & gameplay perspective it makes sense to have a third to the trio who can step in & over overpower the other 2 so you get all of them going:
-hey i'm maintaining balance here, im cancelling the weather go home
-hey i'm maintaining balance here, stop this nonsense and go home
-YOU'RE ME AND I AM YOU NOW STAND STILL SO I CAN EAT YOU
-hey i'm maintaining balance here. My powers imply telling you to go home but you won't get to see this happen, now i'm a robot
-I can emit light, i can absorb light. I gave off too much, now stand still so I can eat you or I'll die (probably)

but Eternatus doesnt play into this at all. Zacian & Zamazenta are the one no-selling its powers (they can't dynamax anyway, their crowned forms allow them & others to attack), keeping it from destroying everything and ultiamtely shutting it down so it can go home go back to normal.

It's also the only one that just has 0 connections to the duo. Rayquaza & Zygarde just seem to be third wheels that happen to keep the peace. Kyurem is ltierally the cast off shell. Giratina is a direct siblings. Necrozma is the closest to Eternatus, but there's an aesthetic connection in their origins and powers (& honestly I feel like there IS a connectio nbetween the 3 of them that the games just never gets into).
Eternatus has none of that. It's literally an alien that's lost control of itself and the wolves are just really strong warriors of earth. There's no thematic connection beyond all 3 of them having anti-dynamax attributes but for the wolves that seems to just be part of their warrior aesthetic while Eternatus would of course have a hard counter to the thing it causes.

e: it is funny how often they go with "serpentine third wheel", though. Rayquaza, Giratina, Zygarde, Eternatus. Kyurem & Necrozma are the only ones who buck the trend and coincidentally are also the ones who fuse with the other 2

I dunno, the similarities seem kind of superficial and even the comparison on their powers doesnt really...work similarly at all. Like you could probably make similar comparisons to the other rhitrd wheels.

And hell Eternatus can only supress attacks when Eternamaxed because it is channeling so much energy from teh entire region it's breaking space & time and Zygarde can't power up anything.

Honestly Eternatus kind of seems like maybe...intentionally reversing the usual dynamic?
From a narrative & gameplay perspective it makes sense to have a third to the trio who can step in & over overpower the other 2 so you get all of them going:
-hey i'm maintaining balance here, im cancelling the weather go home
-hey i'm maintaining balance here, stop this nonsense and go home
-YOU'RE ME AND I AM YOU NOW STAND STILL SO I CAN EAT YOU
-hey i'm maintaining balance here. My powers imply telling you to go home but you won't get to see this happen, now i'm a robot
-I can emit light, i can absorb light. I gave off too much, now stand still so I can eat you or I'll die (probably)

but Eternatus doesnt play into this at all. Zacian & Zamazenta are the one no-selling its powers (they can't dynamax anyway, their crowned forms allow them & others to attack), keeping it from destroying everything and ultiamtely shutting it down so it can go home go back to normal.

It's also the only one that just has 0 connections to the duo. Rayquaza & Zygarde just seem to be third wheels that happen to keep the peace. Kyurem is ltierally the cast off shell. Giratina is a direct siblings. Necrozma is the closest to Eternatus, but there's an aesthetic connection in their origins and powers (& honestly I feel like there IS a connectio nbetween the 3 of them that the games just never gets into).
Eternatus has none of that. It's literally an alien that's lost control of itself and the wolves are just really strong warriors of earth. There's no thematic connection beyond all 3 of them having anti-dynamax attributes but for the wolves that seems to just be part of their warrior aesthetic while Eternatus would of course have a hard counter to the thing it causes.

e: it is funny how often they go with "serpentine third wheel", though. Rayquaza, Giratina, Zygarde, Eternatus. Kyurem & Necrozma are the only ones who buck the trend and coincidentally are also the ones who fuse with the other 2
Disagree saying that there is no connection between Eternatus and Zacian/Zamazenta. Both use their power to seal Eternatus during the Darkest Day. In fact, prior to changing form, Eternatus has a type advantage against both of them, but when they change form it has a disadvantage.

Disagree saying that there is no connection between Eternatus and Zacian/Zamazenta. Both use their power to seal Eternatus during the Darkest Day. In fact, prior to changing form, Eternatus has a type advantage against both of them, but when they change form it has a disadvantage.
The former isn't a connection, though. That's jsut something they can do; eternatus could hypotehtically have been anything and it'd still work. They are completely unrelated in terms of design and powers unlike all the other third wheels who have a point in commonality in either aesthetics, lore or base powers.

Also Eternatus only has type advantage against Zacian, whose is pure fairy type. Zamazenta is Fighting type. & they gave Eternatus Flamethrower anyway for ype coverage but again that's not really....a connection. It seems more them going "oh, we should probably have the final battle have some danger of the dogs getting knocked out".

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
& they gave Eternatus Flamethrower anyway for ype coverage but again that's not really....a connection. It seems more them going "oh, we should probably have the final battle have some danger of the dogs getting knocked out".
Actually them giving Flamethrower to Eternatus does have a story reason: it's how it escaped from Rose. Rose is a Steel-type trainer and most of his employees use Steel-type, and with Eternatus being a Dragon- (Steel resists) and Poison-type (Steel is immune to) he probably felt he had relative control over Eternatus if things went south... and then he probably discovered too late Eternatus learned Flamethrower (cause it probably hated Rose that much).

Also I agree with R_N that any "connection" between Eternatus and Zygarde seems arbitrary. Only thing similar is their general shape but even then the additional body details further separate them.

The Wolf Twins connections with Eternatus is nothing more than "noble knights slaying an evil dragon" motif. Them getting Eternatus is nothing more than just a stroke of "luck", it just so happened to land in Galar thus Eternatus is their mess to deal with. BTW Zamazenta does have a disadvantage against Eternatus as Poison resists Fighting. Both needed the power to become Steel-type not only for the power boost & resistance to Dragon/immunity to Poison but also so that they get a powerful move they get STAB on top of.

This is pretty much a translation thing, but suddenly I've started wondering why the gym badge given out in Saffron City is the Marsh Badge.

It does not fit neither the currently active Psychic-type gym, nor the former Fighting-type gym.

The rumor is that the game developers swapped the names of the Marsh and Soul Badge by mistake when localizing to US.

Last edited:
While the soul-marsh swap theory is further supported by Fuchsia City having a few ponds, there's one detail that casts doubt on the soul-marsh swap theory for me, and that's the designs of the badges. Koga's badge is a pink heart originally called the Pink Badge, while Sabrina's badge is a gold circle originally called the Gold Badge. Gold is sometimes associated with psychic powers (it's why Psychic-types in Mystery Dungeon prefer gold gummis) so it's very unlikely that the original designs were also swapped. So if Koga was definitely intended to give out a heart-shaped badge, it would make more sense to call it the Soul Badge than the Marsh Badge. Though to cast doubt on the doubt, Giovanni's Earth Badge is a green leaf/feather thing, so intuitive nomenclature might just not have been a priority for the localizers.

While the soul-marsh swap theory is further supported by Fuchsia City having a few ponds, there's one detail that casts doubt on the soul-marsh swap theory for me, and that's the designs of the badges. Koga's badge is a pink heart originally called the Pink Badge, while Sabrina's badge is a gold circle originally called the Gold Badge. Gold is sometimes associated with psychic powers (it's why Psychic-types in Mystery Dungeon prefer gold gummis) so it's very unlikely that the original designs were also swapped. So if Koga was definitely intended to give out a heart-shaped badge, it would make more sense to call it the Soul Badge than the Marsh Badge. Though to cast doubt on the doubt, Giovanni's Earth Badge is a green leaf/feather thing, so intuitive nomenclature might just not have been a priority for the localizers.
I can entertain that theory but then we still have Sabrina's badge called Marsh, which makes no sense for her typing, her location, or her badge.

Also while Earth Badge's name vs shape has been brought up, lesser is Thunder Badge which seems to me to resemble a Sun.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
This is pretty much a translation thing, but suddenly I've started wondering why the gym badge given out in Saffron City is the Marsh Badge.

It does not fit neither the currently active Psychic-type gym, nor the former Fighting-type gym.
It's likely the names for the Marsh Badge and Soul Badge got mixed up during development and it just stuck. The could have fixed it in the anime and Yellow version like how Ghost was made super effective against Psychic, but I guess maybe they considered it such a little detail that overall affected nothing they decided to keep it.

So now we gotta come up with an excuse why the Psychic Gym has the Marsh Badge (and I also guess why the Poison-type Ninja Gym has the Soul Badge). Let's see:

Psychic Gym/Marsh Badge: A "marsh" is a wetland that dominate plantlife is herbaceous plants, plants that have no woody stems. It's what makes it different from a "swamp" which dominate plantlife is trees and a "mire" which is an accumulation of decaying plantlife. Because of this, a Marsh could be considered a more serene environment where the land and water blend together in a peaceful balance. In addition herbaceous plants, better known as herbs, are used for medicinal and therapeutic purposes (both scientific & folk remedies), and are also common ingredients for magic spells & rituals, all you can easily link back to either Psychic powers or the mind.
Being awarded the Marsh Badge shows you have a tranquil mind, a balance of strategic thinking and adapting to the situation. You also understand what each of your Pokemon has to offer, using their power and special skills to be the most effective. And particularly you understand what it takes to battle and use the mental and supernatural Psychic-type.

Poison Ninja Gym/Soul Badge: The "soul" is what "you" actually are and is what is controlling and being contained in the physical body. Your thoughts, feelings, memories, personality; all are components of the soul. While complicated, the soul can also be a fragile thing, easily swayed by sin & corruption; poisons of the mind. One can train their soul to be resistant to such temptations, and such training is what those practicing ninjutsu wish to master to become a skilled warrior. And while a ninja's training gives them resistant to corruption, it also teaches them how to use it as a weapon in their arsenal. For you see a ninja doesn't reject corruption, they understand evil is as part of the soul as good, but rather they want to be the master of their own destiny and be the onces to "choose their poison" then rather have it chosen for them.
Being awarded the Soul Badge shows you are in full control of your own soul, be it pure of wicked it was of your own choosing and no one else's. And you use this control to willingly manipulate others, most notably your Pokemon's, in becoming efficient weapons against those who would stand in your way. You are aware of the Poison-types affect on one's being, but also see the use of such power.

In-World Non-Pretentious Answer: The Pokemon League handles the production of Gym Badges and when making Sabrina's and/or Koga's they got the labeling mixed up. The paperwork to fix this small mistake is, of course, an inch thick and overly complicated that neither Sabrina nor Koga want to waste their time trying to straighten out a mess that isn't their fault so called it a wash. They then came up with my excuses above to make best of an annoying situation.

There isn't much to support this swap hypothesis other than it makes more sense that the psychic gym gives the soul badge and the poison gym gives the marsh badge. I don't think that the localizers where looking very closely to the badge design before giving them names, I mean a droplet isn't a cascade. By the way isn't Soul Badge supposed to be a cherry blossom flower petal?

Last edited:
Sine I was double checking badge names here's my dumb conspiracy theory: the japanese branch was actively messing with the american branch when it came to the ice badges in gens 4 & 5.
Observe
The Glacier Badge was "Ice Badge" in gen 2. Gen 2 continued the rename trend, though gen 3 and all but one badge in gen 4....
But then the "Icicle Badge" was actually...the Glacier Badge & the"Freeze Badge" was actually...icicle badge.

Shockingly they didn't keep this up in gen 6. It's the Iceberg Badge on both sides.

Bonus round: Presumably because in-universe Galar has all 18 gyms on rotation, all the badges (in all countries) are just <Type> Badge. Which means Japan has 2 Fairy Badges & 2 Ice Badges; the English version only overlaps on Fairy. They barely side step this with the Fighting Badge: the Rumble badge's japanese name is Fight Badge.
But presumably in-universe there's repeats on the Bug & Psychic badges as well

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Sine I was double checking badge names here's my dumb conspiracy theory: the japanese branch was actively messing with the american branch when it came to the ice badges in gens 4 & 5.
Observe
The Glacier Badge was "Ice Badge" in gen 2. Gen 2 continued the rename trend, though gen 3 and all but one badge in gen 4....
But then the "Icicle Badge" was actually...the Glacier Badge & the"Freeze Badge" was actually...icicle badge.

Shockingly they didn't keep this up in gen 6. It's the Iceberg Badge on both sides.

Bonus round: Presumably because in-universe Galar has all 18 gyms on rotation, all the badges (in all countries) are just <Type> Badge. Which means Japan has 2 Fairy Badges & 2 Ice Badges; the English version only overlaps on Fairy. They barely side step this with the Fighting Badge: the Rumble badge's japanese name is Fight Badge.
But presumably in-universe there's repeats on the Bug & Psychic badges as well
Japan would also have two Steel Badges as Jasmine's Mineral Badge is "Steel Badge" in Japan and presumably a Galar Steel-type Gym would give out the Steel Badge.

Some other interesting factoids about Badge names:
  • Japanese Kanto Badges were named after the color they were, small exception for Erika's Badge which was the "Rainbow Badge" for obvious reasons (name also kept for English version), Sabrina's being "Gold Badge" instead of Yellow Badge, and Blaine's Badge being "Crimson Badge" instead of Red Badge. Mini Fun Fact: The Rainbow Badge contains all the colors of the other badges plus the colors cyan and chartreuse.
  • All Johto Badges except for the Rising Badge were renamed. Mini Fun Fact: The Hive Badge's Japanese name is "Insect Badge" which would later be used for another Bug Gym Leader's badge name in English.
  • The Hoenn Badges are the only Badges to have the same names in both Japanese and English.
  • The Sinnoh Badges were also close to all sharing the same names... BUT as R_N said about that's when Japan started playing games with the name of the Ice Badges. So the Japanese "Glacier Badge" needed to be renamed to the Icicle Badge.
  • Unova most share names with a few exceptions. First let's start with the obvious: Japan's "Icicle" Badge needed to be renamed "Freeze Badge". Next is the "Tri Badge" being renamed Trio Badge, probably because it just sounds better in English. Now onto an odd one: The Insect Badge was originally called the "Beetle Badge". I have no clue why they changed it, I could only think that maybe it was a translation overlook as "insect" in Japanese is "mushi" and "beetle" in Japanese is "kabutomushi". I guess it could be the "kabuto" part throwing them off so decided to nix it and just went with "mushi".
  • Two renames for the Kalos Badges and one isn't for the Ice-type Badge! Cliff Badge was originally called "Wall Badge" and Rumble Badge originally called "Fight Badge". With the Rumble Badge I assume its because it sounds better in English while for the Cliff Badge may wanted a name more in-theme with the Type.
  • I know what you're thinking, Hoenn can't be the only region which all Badges share a name because in Galar all the Badges are named after their Type! Very true, and for most of the Types this would have been true... but they just so happened to have picked one of the two Types which names are different. The Dark Badge is called the "Evil Badge" in Japan. Mini Fun Fact: So what's the second Type that would have a different name? Psychic is called "Esper" in Japan. And there is a difference. The proof comes with the move Psychic and Kalos's Psychic Badge. Both of them are spelled differently than what the Psychic-type is called in Japan (which is why in English we have both a Type and Move that's the same name, because in Japan they're actually named differently and the English version just simplified things).
Wouldn't it make more sense if the Japanese Ice Badge was localized as the Freeze Badge to avoid confusion later? Unless Pokemon doesn't plan that much ahead, that is.
Yeah, they wouldn't have planned ahead, at least not for something as minor as this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)