Pokémon GO

I'm very cautiously (and probably mistakenly) hopeful about the Sinnoh throwback - since all the themed research tasks during the Kanto throwback event gave out Pokemon that Ash had (same for Johto, except for Pineco which Brock had and... Shuckle, which no-one had but I love Shuckle so I'm not complaining, especially if it's shiny). The only non-starter Gen IV Pokemon Ash caught in Sinnoh are Buizel, Starly, and Gible so... could we possibly be in for a Gible research task? (He's now got a Riolu, but I don't see them making Riolu or Lucario available that easily either.)

It could happen. Could is admittedly doing a lot of work there.

But Dawn had Buneary (probably), Pachirisu (regional), Mamoswine (extremely unlikely), and Togekiss (no chance) while Brock had Croagunk (probably) and Happiny (no chance). So I'm thinking the rewards will be Turtwig, Chimchar, Piplup, Buneary, Croagunk, Buizel, Starly, and of course Glameow... which seems a little light, and pretty much all of those are Pokemon we've had in recent events bar Glameow.

Or am I way off?
We received the list for Hoenn Pokemon, and no Ash Pokemon was given except Swellow !

And Ralts was (sort of) owned by Max.

greentyphlosion The challenges are themed around the gyms/cities of the region, so it's not neccessarily "things Ash caught". Like Shuckle, which you mentioned before, is a notable pokemon for Cianwood because of the Shuckie gift mon.
Not true. You're talking about the special research, I'm talking about the field research from Pokestops. All of the research rewards from the themed field research have been Pokemon caught by the main cast.

Kanto:
All of the research rewards were Pokemon Ash caught (Muk, Krabby, Butterfree, Mankey, Pikachu and all 3 starters), with the exception of Venonat which was included so that people could try for the new shiny.

Johto:
Same here (Quilava, Noctowl, Bayleef, Totodile, Aipom, Phanpy) except for Pineco (which Brock caught), Dunsparce (like Venonat, a new shiny) and Shuckle.

Hoenn:
As discussed above, all the Pokemon available from research rewards are Pokemon caught by Ash, Brock, May, and Max in the anime (with the exception of Absol, which featured heavily in one of the movies).

Last edited:
Vote for the featured Pokemon for June and July Community Days! The candidates and their featured move are

Squirtle: Aura Sphere
Weedle: Drill Run
Sandshrew: Shadow Claw
Gastly: Shadow Punch

Voting will take place via a poll on the official Twitter account from Saturday, May 23rd at 6pm PDT to Sunday, May 24th at 6pm PDT. The Pokemon that receives the most votes will be featured in the June CD, and the Pokemon with the second most votes will be featured in the July CD.

Big yikes.

Community Day voting is back! Which Pokémon will you choose to be featured during June and July Community Days?

Trainers,

Remember voting for the featured Pokémon for February Community Day? Well, we’re bringing it back—with a twist! From May 23 to May 24, you’ll be able to vote for the Pokémon you’d like featured via Twitter! The two Pokémon that receive the most votes will go on to be featured during the next Community Days, with the Pokémon with the most votes featured in June and the runner-up in July!

Community Day candidates

Your Community Day candidates will be Squirtle, Weedle, Sandshrew, and Gastly. Here are the exclusive attacks that would be featured for each Pokémon’s Community Day.

• Squirtle: Evolve Wartortle (the evolved form of Squirtle) to get a Blastoise that knows the Fighting-type attack Aura Sphere. Currently an exclusive attack that only Lucario can learn, Aura Sphere will be particularly handy when Blastoise faces off against popular Steel-type Pokémon in the GO Battle League, such as Registeel.
  • Weedle: Evolve Kakuna (the evolved form of Weedle) to get a Beedrill that knows the Ground-type attack Drill Run. The unique type combination of Beedrill’s Bug and Poison types with the Ground-type Drill Run will be sure to inspire some innovative battle strategies.
  • Sandshrew: Sandshrew as originally discovered in the Kanto region will be appearing in the wild and hatching from Eggs. Alolan Sandshrew will be appearing in Raid Battles. Evolve Sandshrew or Alolan Sandshrew to get a Sandslash or Alolan Sandslash that knows the Ghost-type attack Shadow Claw. Shadow Claw will be a welcome addition for both Sandslash, but it will give Alolan Sandslash a new Fast Attack that both charges Charged Attacks faster and is more powerful than Powder Snow.
  • Gastly: Evolve Haunter (the evolved form of Gastly) to get a Gengar that knows the Ghost-type attack Shadow Punch. Shadow Punch’s ability to charge up quickly will give Gengar a useful attack to trick your opponent into using their Protect Shields. This can leave you with an opening to pull off more powerful attacks later, like Shadow Ball!
Featured bonuses and more Community Day details will be announced at a later date.

How to vote

We will post a poll on our official Pokémon GO Twitter on Saturday, May 23, 2020, at 6:00 p.m. PDT (GMT −7) and you’ll be able to cast your vote until Sunday, May 24, 2020, at 6:00 p.m. PDT (GMT −7). You will have 24 hours to cast one vote for the Pokémon you’d like to see most for either June or July Community Day.

The winners will be announced shortly after voting ends. The Pokémon that receives the most votes by the end of the voting period will be the featured Pokémon for June Community Day. The Pokémon that receives the second-most votes will be featured during July Community Day.

Make your voices heard, Trainers. It’s time for you to choose which Pokémon you want as the featured Pokémon for June and July Community Days. Be sure to campaign for the Pokémon you most want to be chosen, and use #PokemonGOCommunityDay when doing so! Let’s GO!

Please be aware of your surroundings and follow guidelines from local health authorities when playing Pokémon GO. Upcoming events are subject to change. Be sure to follow us on social media, opt in to receiving push notifications, and subscribe to our emails to stay updated. For the latest on in-game events and feature updates, be sure to check this help center article.

—The Pokémon GO team

Last edited:
Vote for the featured Pokemon for June and July Community Days! The candidates and their featured move are

Squirtle: Aura Sphere
Weedle: Drill Run
Sandshrew: Shadow Claw
Gastly: Shadow Punch

Voting will take place via a poll on the official Twitter account from Saturday, May 23rd at 6pm PDT to Sunday, May 24th at 6pm PDT. The Pokemon that receives the most votes will be featured in the June CD, and the Pokemon with the second most votes will be featured in the July CD.

Big yikes.

Goddammit.

I'm not crazy about any of these, but the bare minimum I'd like is for it to be a new shiny. There was a lot of talk on the Silph Road subreddit about it being Spheal. Shouldn't have got my hopes up.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I'm not sure whether this was intended as a joke or as an insult. Weren't Community Days meant to feature somewhat rare, interesting Pokémon, giving players the chance to catch something new, or stock up on Candy if they already had it? OK, I can see the logic of not releasing Deino when everybody is supposed to sit at home, but going all the way to the other end of the scale feels somehow worse than not having a Community Day at all. It's like being taken on a rare trip to the Ice Cream Palace - the parlor of ten thousand flavours! - only to be given one scoop of vanilla. Feels like a wasted trip.

So yeah, no fan of blowing the rare Community Days on Kanto crapmons that already spawn by the hundreds every time the weather is right. I mean, Weedle? Hasn't every cloudy day been Weedle Day already for almost four years now? Squirtle already had a community day, Gastly is common as bricks, and Sandshrew is slightly rarer, but so much more boring. I mean, even if you catch the perfect shiny with perfect IVs, at the end of the day, it's still a two-stage mono-Ground type you've been hatching and catching for several years by now.

I was already a little bummed out with Seedot, but these all feel like three steps back from that again.

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I expect weedle to win the next poll since it's the only non-shiny of the group. The original trend of starter/10k was running its course and was getting too predictable so I can see that returning later this year or so whenever social distancing ever gets relaxed upon. In the meantime we're putting up with excuses to get something shiny or not. Abra getting counter was a letdown indeed as I don't ever expect to use a 100% alakazam in Masters competition for that situation I'll be facing steel types.

Remote raiding has been a nice convenience, and hope they allow inviting friends to raid as well, and I hope remote trading especially with lucky friends will ever become a possibility as I'm already up to around 50 lucky friends and counting including most of you already. I don't see myself traveling to California or Canada or on the other side of the globe anytime soon just for a lucky trade if ever possible anytime soon.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
https://pokemongolive.com/post/reshiram-zekrom-kyurem-raids/

Late, but the Tao Trio's coming. First up is Reshiram with some scheduled Wednesday Raid Hours thrown in too.

From Tuesday, May 26, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. to Tuesday, June 16, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PDT (GMT −7)

Raid Hours:

Wednesday, May 27, 2020, from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. local time
Wednesday, June 3, 2020, from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. local time
Wednesday, June 10, 2020, from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. local time

I really hope they roll out remote raid inviting soon, because I think I've managed to randomly hop in just 3 legendary raids since the remote passes were released. At this rate I may end up waiting until the next time the tao trio comes back into raids to get them.

Remote trading definitely needs to become a thing soon, if they're not going to make regional exclusives a rotational thing. I mentioned before that you can't expect everyone to have the means to travel around the world even just for sightseeing, and only a handful of people would do that just for their Go dex. Traveling will be harder after covid (whenever that may be), and frankly there are parts of the world where I never see myself voluntarily going to anyway.

How was "dexit" such a huge issue but locking the full dex behind regions in the real world never caused much outrage?

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Galarians in 2 weeks:

https://pokemongolive.com/post/throwbackchallengechampion-2020/

There's a Ticket if you want to buy that because you want to / missed out on Challenges, but whatever.

From Wednesday, June 3, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. to Monday, June 8, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. local time, all Trainers can look forward to the following features, even if they don’t have access to any version of the Throwback Challenge 2020 Special Research.
  • Galarian Stunfisk will be making its Pokémon GO debut! Find it in the wild, in raids, and as a Throwback Challenge 2020 Special Research reward encounter.
  • The following Pokémon will also be making their Pokémon GO debut and hatching from 7 km Eggs along with their usual forms: Galarian Meowth, Galarian Zigzagoon, Galarian Darumaka, and Galarian Stunfisk. Try evolving Galarian Meowth, Galarian Zigzagoon, and Galarian Darumaka!
  • Pokémon originally discovered in the Unova region will be appearing more frequently in the wild.
Means that at least Perrserker will be live before Gen 6. That's hilarious.

Last edited:
No Gibles from exclusive field research for Sinnoh Throwback, but there's a Gible reward in part 7/9. Not a very exciting list of rewards, though I do appreciate that Hippopotas in 6/9.

No Gibles from exclusive field research for Sinnoh Throwback, but there's a Gible reward in part 7/9. Not a very exciting list of rewards, though I do appreciate that Hippopotas in 6/9.
Yeah, my hopes were too high...

Interestingly, though the listing says you get a Trash Burmy in the first round, I got a Sandy one instead.

What does Grass Knot do for Cresselia in terms of matchups? I know it's good for Waters/Grounds/Rocks but did Cress have bad MUs against most of them before? Having something for HC Swampert is neat, though.

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
Remember voting for the featured Pokémon for February Community Day? Well, we’re bringing it back—with a twist! From May 23 to May 24, you’ll be able to vote for the Pokémon you’d like featured via Twitter! The two Pokémon that receive the most votes will go on to be featured during the next Community Days, with the Pokémon with the most votes featured in June and the runner-up in July!
Got this e-mail. I guess Niantic's skipping the previous quest approach for a non-falsifiable twitter poll. Uncharacteristically transparent of them!

#WeedleGang

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)