Project Metagame Workshop (OM Submissions CLOSED)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bad, have moved it over.

So this isn't a one liner, just a pro tip for you aspiring OM creators out there. Metas that restrict a Pokemon don't tend to be very successful. A good OM should give you more options, not less. This is from someone who created an unsuccessful OM that restricted the player.

Time to try my luck at Doubles OM again.

Combined Coverage
(previously based on "Flying Press" that never took off in Gen 7)

Metagame premise: The type of the first move with any power of the Pokemon combines with its current ally's first attack's type, altering the attack's weakness, resistance, and immunity similar to Flying Press.

:blastoise:
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Follow Me
- Fake Out

:Charizard:
- Heat Wave
- Air Slash
- Tailwind
- Protect

If Charizard is paired with Blastoise on the field, Charizard's Heat Wave will act as a Fire- and Water-type move, now dealing super effective damage to Ground-type but now dealing neutral damage to Grass-, Rock-, and Fire-type. The same applied to Blastoise's Scald as well. Charizard's Air Slash and Blastoise's Icy Wind remains unaffected.

:mew:
- Tailwind
- Transform
- Fire Blast
- Fake Out

:dragapult:
- Phantom Force
- Dragon Darts
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

While one would expect Dragapult Phantom Force's to be Ghost+Flying, it's actually Ghost+Fire since Mew's Tailwind a doesn't do any damage, therefore making Fire Blast the first attack in Mew's moveslot.

Potential bans and threats: Don't have anything that seems banworthy so far, but definitely need to watch out for spread moves.

also ban shedinja as a tradition

Questions to the community:
  • Does Combined Coverage sound interesting enough to stand up? Is it too unpredictable?
  • Does the name Combined Coverage reflect the format? If not, what better name would you suggest?
  • What kind of potential strategy you can come up with?
Party Down
(a revamped version of the baddy bad Dual Switch)

In this format, Pokemon can have its teammate's moves and ability in the party, but only once. It sounds like Inheritance for Doubles, but unlike Inheritance, the Pokemon get to use their original movepool and ability, and the Pokemon whose moves and ability that has been shared must be present in the party. However, the Pokemon's name that it inherited will be displayed as usual.

I don't think chances of Party Down being approved are very high but it's worth a try anyway.

Allowed:
:melmetal: :mew: :incineroar: :dragapult: :whimsicott: :keldeo:

Melmetal
Ability: Intimidate
- Fake Out
- Double Iron Bash
- Knock Off
- Parting Shot

This one is allowed with the exception of Double Iron Bash that belongs to Melmetal itself, everything belonged to Incineroar and it's presented in the party.

Illegible:
:melmetal: :mew: :incineroar: :dragapult: :whimsicott: :keldeo:

Melmetal
Ability: Intimidate
- Fake Out
- Double Iron Bash
- Aqua Jet
- Parting Shot
Melmetal already has Incineroar's moves and ability, therefore it cannot have Keldeo's Aqua Jet.

:incineroar: :mew: :melmetal: :dragapult: :togekiss: :keldeo:

Incineroar
Ability: Prankster
- Tailwind
- Knock Off
- Flare Blitz
- Parting Shot

Incineroar has Whimsicott's moves and ability. However, since Whimiscott isn't in the party, Incineorar isn't allowed to have Prankster.

Banlist:
Pokemon:
None yet!

Move*:
Belly Drum
Bolt Beak
Decorate
Fishious Rend
Follow Me/Rage Powder
Shell Smash
Shift Gear
Spore

Abilities*:
Huge Power/Pure Power
Imposter
Innards Out
Moody
Neutralizing Gas
Rattled
Shadow Tag/Arena Trap
Stakeout
Stamina
Steam Engine
Speed Boost
Wonder Guard

* Still available on native users.

Potential threats and bans: Melmetal is on my watchlist as it's able to utilize the sharing move and ability mechanic fantastically. Imagine something like Melmetal with Fake Out or Flash Fire Melmetal.

Questions to the community:
  • Will the validator explodes to the pieces? I hope it won't.
  • Does Party Down sound interesting enough to stand up on its own? Is it enough to differentiate Inheritance?
  • Does the name Party Down reflect the format? If not, could you suggest a better name for it?

Last edited:

zxgzxg

scrabble
is a Forum Moderator
Back at it again
:zacian-crowned:All-Stars:torracat:
Premise: Your team must consist of exactly one Pokémon from each tier (Uber, OU, UU, RU, NU, PU). Rather than creative sets, this diverse metagame promotes creative teambuilding and synergy.

Potential Banlist:
Base: Gen8 OU
Bans: Nothing Yet
Unbans: Darmanitan-Galar, Eternatus, Kyurem-Black, Kyurem-White, Lunala, Marshadow, Melmetal, Mewtwo, Necrozma-Dawn-Wings, Necrozma-Dusk-Mane, Reshiram, Solgaleo, Zacian, Zacian-Crowned, Zamazenta, Zamazenta-Crowned, Zekrom

Potential Questions:
What about Pokémon in the BLs, NFE, and LC?
Just like Tier Shift, BLs count for the tier above and NFE and LC take the PU slot.

Can I have 2 UU Pokémon if I don't have an OU pokémon?
No, the whole point of the metagame is that you have an "all-star" from each tier. I imagine it would be hard to validate teams if this were allowed.

Potential Strategies:
:pelipper: :hippowdon: :torkoal:
Weather
Weaker Pokémon, such as Ludicolo, Dugtrio-Alola, and Charizard, with weather abilities can be boosted with Drizzle, Drought, or Sand Stream. The weather setter themselves can also take up a low-tier spot, like Ninetales, Gigalith, and Sandaconda.

:ribombee: :shuckle: :galvantula:
Sticky Web
Webs are good for slowing down fast Uber and OU Pokémon like Zacian-Crowned and Zeraora while giving low-tier hard-hitters, like Machamp and Vikavolt, a chance to shine. A lot of the web setters are from lower tiers, too.

:dugtrio-alola: :charizard: :doublade:
Dealing with the Uber
Most of the time, the Uber Pokémon will be your opponent's ace, so mainly preparing for that will be important. Scarf Dugtrio-Alola can deal with Zacian (both forms), Darmanitan-Galar, and Zekrom and can check Mewtwo and Melmetal. Charizard beats Zacian, Zamazenta, and Marshadow, and Physically-Defensive Doublade can deal with Zacian, Zamazenta, Marshadow, and Kyurem-White.

:corviknight: :quagsire: :sableye:
Pokémon with usage in Ubers
These Pokémon do a great job of walling Ubers as well as Pokémon outside of Ubers.

Questions for the Community:
Are Ubers too much for this Metagame? Would OU, UU, RU, NU, PU, ZU/NFE/LC work better?
Should the non-Uber pokemon be given buffs, like in Tier Shift or Gods and Followers?

Back at it again
:zacian-crowned:All-Stars:torracat:
Premise: Your team must consist of exactly one Pokémon from each tier (Uber, OU, UU, RU, NU, PU). Rather than creative sets, this diverse metagame promotes creative teambuilding and synergy.

Potential Banlist:
Bans: Nothing Yet
Unbans: Darmanitan-Galar, Eternatus, Kyurem-Black, Kyurem-White, Lunala, Marshadow, Melmetal, Mewtwo, Necrozma-Dawn-Wings, Necrozma-Dusk-Mane, Reshiram, Solgaleo, Zacian, Zacian-Crowned, Zamazenta, Zamazenta-Crowned, Zekrom

Potential Questions:
What about Pokémon in the BLs, NFE, and LC?
Just like Tier Shift, BLs count for the tier above and NFE and LC take the PU slot.

Can I have 2 UU Pokémon if I don't have an OU pokémon?
No, the whole point of the metagame is that you have an "all-star" from each tier. I imagine it would be hard to validate teams if this were allowed.

Potential Strategies:
:pelipper: :hippowdon: :torkoal:
Weather
Weaker Pokémon, such as Ludicolo, Dugtrio-Alola, and Charizard, with weather abilities can be boosted with Drizzle, Drought, or Sand Stream. The weather setter themselves can also take up a low-tier spot, like Ninetales, Gigalith, and Sandaconda.

:ribombee: :shuckle: :galvantula:
Sticky Web
Webs are good for slowing down fast Uber and OU Pokémon like Zacian-Crowned and Zeraora while giving low-tier hard-hitters, like Machamp and Vikavolt, a chance to shine. A lot of the web setters are from lower tiers, too.

:dugtrio-alola: :charizard: :doublade:
Dealing with the Uber
Most of the time, the Uber Pokémon will be your opponent's ace, so mainly preparing for that will be important. Scarf Dugtrio-Alola can deal with Zacian (both forms), Darmanitan-Galar, and Zekrom and can check Mewtwo and Melmetal. Charizard beats Zacian, Zamazenta, and Marshadow, and Physically-Defensive Doublade can deal with Zacian, Zamazenta, Marshadow, and Kyurem-White.

:corviknight: :quagsire: :sableye:
Pokémon with usage in Ubers
These Pokémon do a great job of walling Ubers as well as Pokémon outside of Ubers.

Are Ubers too much for this Metagame? Would OU, UU, RU, NU, PU, ZU/NFE/LC work better?
Should the non-Uber pokemon be given buffs, like in Tier Shift or Gods and Followers?
This is specifically listed as one of the commonly rejected OM ideas in the first post (ctrl + F "Tiermons" in the "everything else" spoiler), so I'm afraid it's not likely that it has a chance. Sorry...

GEN 8 TRIPLES​
Premise: After playing a lot of VGC and Doubles, I began to wonder how busted the Dynamax strategy would be if three Pokemon were on the field. Would have creative teambuilding and synergy.

Potential Banlist:

Potential Strategies:
Grimmsnarl + G-Max Lapras + Incineroar
Good luck breaking through THEIR defenses combined.

Hatterene + Indeedee + Dusclops
Which one is gonna set up Trick Room? Who knows.

zxgzxg

scrabble
is a Forum Moderator
Here's another
Shared Type
Camomons Monotype with Extra Steps
Premise: Pokémon receive a type of the first Pokémon sent out, depending on whether it is shiny or not. This is kind of like Monotype, except you are not limited to choosing Pokémon of a single type, as Pokémon will just change typing. Also, you are not limited to a single type on one team, as you can lead off with any Pokémon on your team, giving you 6 options for typing at most.

Potential Questions:
How can I control which type will be given/received?
Lead
-Non-shiny: Primary type will be given
-Shiny: Secondary type (if it has one) will be given
The Rest of the Team
-Non-shiny: Secondary typing is replaced (or type is added if it only has one type)
-Shiny: Primary typing is replaced

This way, a Pokémon can give a type and keep that same type if it is not the lead.

Let's say these were four Pokemon on one team
clefable.png
cinderace.png
kyurem.png
mandibuzz.png

LeadTeam Member #1Team Member #2Team Member #3
clefable.png
Fairy
cinderace.png
Fairy
kyurem.png
Dragon
Fairy
mandibuzz.png
Fairy
Flying
cinderace.png
Fire
clefable.png
Fairy
Fire
kyurem.png
Dragon
Fire
mandibuzz.png
Fire
Flying
kyurem.png
Dragon
Ice
clefable.png
Fairy
Dragon
cinderace.png
Dragon
mandibuzz.png
Dragon
Flying
mandibuzz.png
Dark
Flying
clefable.png
Fairy
Flying
cinderace.png
Flying
kyurem.png
Dragon
Flying

Do I have to keep track of the opponent's Pokémon's type myself?
No, the type will be displayed below the name just like in Camomons.

Potetntial Rules:
Base: Gen 8 OU
Bans: Shedinja
Shedinja @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Wonder Guard
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Sneak
- Sucker Punch
- Protect / Swords Dance
With a Dark-, Normal-, or Fairy-Type lead, Wonder Guard becomes even more potent as it gives Shedinja less weaknesses, letting Shedinja wall unprepared sets. Shedinja greatly restricts teambuilding, so it will be banned (it's banned in Camomons anyways).
Unbans: Nothing yet

Potential Strategies:
General Strategy

Just like in Monotype, you must plan for unfavorable matchups. For example, if you have an Electric-type team, you must have a Pokémon that resists or beats Ground-, Grass-, and Electric-types. However, unlike in normal Monotype, you are not always doomed at team preview with an unfavorable matchup, as you can change your lead to change the type of your team. For an Electric team, an alternate Water- or Ice-type lead would help.
Stall and balance is generally stronger in this meta, as walls like Ferrothorn and Toxapex don't need to worry about adjusting to STAB as offensive Pokemon might.

:gyarados: :hydreigon: :ferrothorn:
Fixing Typings
Just like in Camomons, strong Pokémon with unfortunate typing can be fixed. Gyarados can replace its Flying-typing with Ground or Steel, Hydreigon can replace its Dark-typing with Steel or Fire (Levitate is now useful). Ferrothorn can also replace its Grass-typing with Ghost or Flying.

:clefable: :corsola-galar: :araquanid:
Defensive Typings
Bulky Pokémon can now be even bulkier. Clefable can be given a Steel- or Ghost-typing, Corsola a Normal- or Dark-typing, or Araquanid a Steel-typing in place of either its Water- or Bug- typing.

:toxtricity: :centiskorch: :crawdaunt:
Strong STAB
Pokémon with high base-power moves can change their type to get a STAB boost for it. Normal-type Toxtricity can take advantage of Punk Rock-boosted Boomburst, Grass-type Centiskorch can use Power Whip, and Fighting-type Crawdaunt can boost Close Combat with Adaptability.

Should the lead or the first Pokémon on the team determine the type? I feel like the former opens up more team options but is more complicated. The latter is just Monotype Camomons.

Last edited:
Pikachu315111 had an idea in OI that I thought might make for an interesting OM, so here it is.

Item Swap (name pending)

Your Pokemon can hold two items, but only one of them can be active at a given time. You can swap between the items, and the swapping would work like megas or dynamaxing: the swap happens before moves are used, you can't swap and switch out, but you can swap and attack.

I foresee consumable items being much more useful in this meta, as you have the option of swapping to a different item once they're used up. They can also be kept in the inactive slot until they're needed. For example, a Sitrus Berry can be used to heal on demand at the start of a turn, while resist berries or an Air Balloon can be swapped in to defend against a predicted attack, and the Air Balloon can then be swapped out to protect it from popping.

Choice items will be weird. You wouldn't be able to break a choice lock completely on demand, as you would still be locked on the turn you swap. However, you also have free decision on what move to use on the turn you swap in a choice item.

The biggest concern for this meta is whether it's even possible to code within the bounds of an OM. Another concern is where to put the second item while building a team.
One potential solution for where to put the second item is to put it in the ability slot, and simply lose the ability as an opportunity cost. Not sure how popular this would be but I think its been done in other OMs before.

Neat OM idea!

Power of Three

Metagame premise:
Pokemon's 2nd and 3rd highest base stats are raised to match its highest base stat.
Example:
Galar Weezings regular stats:
65/90/120/85/70/60
Galar Weezings new stats:
65/120/120/120/70/60

This works like any regular competition tiering and only affects first, second and third place, so if there are 2 stats sharing first place (highest), then the second highest stat(s) are in third place. if 2 stats share second place, then the next highest stat is fourth place, and wont receive a boost. In the situation where one stat is first, one stat is second, and two/three/four stats share third place, you will have a total of three/four/five stats boosted to match the highest stat. Hopefully that is simple to understand.

This was a meta idea inspired by the wasted mons of new generations that only ever get one usable stat, and often find themselves neglected by regular OMs that swap stats around or mess with moves.
Here something like Weezing-Galar that only has a respectable Def stat can have its Atk and SpA raised so its a good all-round Pokemon, meanwhile a high tier mon with already high all-round stats like Hydreigon doesnt receive such an impressive boost.

Potential bans and threats:
A lot of these are super oppressive, there are others that could be removed off this list though. I put a question mark next to Zera and Dragapult because they're more questionable than the others.. but their enormous mixed offenses still seem way too much.
-Shuckle
-Steelix
-Cloyster
-Onix
-Doublade
-Aegislash
-Drifblim
-Zeraora?
-Dragapult?

Kingler @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Jolly Nature
- Liquidation
- High Horsepower
- Swords Dance
- Rock Slide
Kingler is a good example of how this meta can help out shitty mons that only get one good stat. Now Kingler stats goes from 55/130/115/50/50/75 -> 55/130/130/50/50/130, allowing it to be a fast wallbreaker.

Persian-Alola @ Leftovers
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dark Pulse
- Parting Shot
- Taunt
- Toxic
Persian has 2 stats in the third highest slot, so it goes from 65/60/60/75/65/115 -> 115/60/60/115/115/115, a really great all-round spread paired with a strong supportive movepool. It also has the option to go Nasty Plot with a Technician set for instance.

Mantine @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hurricane
- Hydro Pump
- Defog
- Roost
Mantine goes from 85/40/70/80/140/70 -> 140/40/70/140/140/70, making it both a great wallbreaker, sweeper, and even special wall. This set is catered to do a bit of everything for a rain team.

Sawk (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Bulk Up
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
Sawk is really lucky, because it has 3 stats all sharing third highest position meaning it goes from 75/125/75/30/75/85 -> 125/125/125/30/125/125, basically making it a better Arceus-Fighting stat-wise. This, plus 3 excellent abilities allows it to fit a lot of different roles, in this set its used to be a setup sweeper, but it could also act as a stallbreaker with something like Taunt + Pain Split.

Questions for the community:

What do you think of the meta? Are there other broken mons that probably deserve the ban? I know there are a bunch more huge threats and mons that are able to boost 3 or 4 stats at once like Incineroar or Beheeyem, as well as weaker examples like Flygon which levels everything lol. Do you think the cases that allow more than 3 stats to boost should be disallowed, and if so, how? I think personally Id be okay with it, and just banning extreme cases, but Id be interested to hear what people think.

There are some real monsters in LC/NFE also, like Mudbray, Duosion, and Munchlax. Is Eviolite something that could/should be banned?

Last edited:
Power of Three

Metagame premise:
Pokemon's 2nd and 3rd highest base stats are raised to match its highest base stat.
Example:
65/90/120/85/70/60
65/120/120/120/70/60

This works like any regular competition tiering and only affects first, second and third place, so if there are 2 stats sharing first place (highest), then the second highest stat(s) are in third place. if 2 stats share second place, then the next highest stat is fourth place, and wont receive a boost. In the situation where one stat is first, one stat is second, and two/three/four stats share third place, you will have a total of three/four/five stats boosted to match the highest stat. Hopefully that is simple to understand.

This was a meta idea inspired by the wasted mons of new generations that only ever get one usable stat, and often find themselves neglected by regular OMs that swap stats around or mess with moves.
Here something like Weezing-Galar that only has a respectable Def stat can have its Atk and SpA raised so its a good all-round Pokemon, meanwhile a high tier mon with already high all-round stats like Hydreigon doesnt receive such an impressive boost.

BANS:
A lot of these are super oppressive, there are others that could be removed off this list though. I put a question mark next to Zera and Dragapult because they're more questionable than the others.. but their enormous mixed offenses still seem way too much.
-Shuckle
-Steelix
-Cloyster
-Onix
-Doublade
-Aegislash
-Drifblim
-Zeraora?
-Dragapult?

THREATS:

Kingler @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Liquidation
- High Horsepower
- Swords Dance
- Rock Slide
Kingler is a good example of how this meta can help out shitty mons that only get one good stat. Now Kingler stats goes from 55/130/115/50/50/75 -> 55/130/130/50/50/130, allowing it to be a fast wallbreaker.

Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Parting Shot
- Taunt
- Toxic
Persian has 2 stats in the third highest slot, so it goes from 65/60/60/75/65/115 -> 115/60/60/115/115/115, a really great all-round spread paired with a strong supportive movepool. It also has the option to go Nasty Plot with a Technician set for instance.

Mantine @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Hurricane
- Hydro Pump
- Defog
- Roost
Mantine goes from 85/40/70/80/140/70 -> 140/40/70/140/140/70, making it both a great wallbreaker, sweeper, and even special wall. This set is catered to do a bit of everything for a rain team.

Sawk (M) @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Bulk Up
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
Sawk is really lucky, because it has 3 stats all sharing third highest position meaning it goes from 75/125/75/30/75/85 -> 125/125/125/30/125/125, basically making it a better Arceus-Fighting stat-wise. This, plus 3 excellent abilities allows it to fit a lot of different roles, in this set its used to be a setup sweeper, but it could also act as a stallbreaker with something like Taunt + Pain Split.

What do you think of the meta? Are there other broken mons that probably deserve the ban? I know there are a bunch more huge threats and mons that are able to boost 3 or 4 stats at once like Incineroar or Beheeyem, as well as weaker examples like Flygon which levels everything lol. Do you think the cases that allow more than 3 stats to boost should be disallowed, and if so, how? I think personally Id be okay with it, and just banning extreme cases, but Id be interested to hear what people think.

There are some real monsters in LC/NFE also, like Mudbray, Duosion, and Munchlax. Is Eviolite something that could/should be banned?
I do like the sound of this, however there might need to be some moderation. Huge Power and its variants might need to be banned. Eviolite will also need to be banned I think. Lastly, if there are multiple stats tied for 2nd/3rd highest you could decide in order of HP-Atk-Def-SpA-SpD-Spe.

Don’t mean to be overly negative, I do genuinely think you’re onto something. Accelgor and Dragapult will be brutal.

Last edited:
I do like the sound of this, however there might need to be some moderation. Huge Power and its variants will need to be banned - Diggersby gets 76 base Attack, with Huge Power it’ll hit harder than Mega Rayquaza. Eviolite will also need to be banned I think. Lastly, if there are multiple stats tied for 2nd/3rd highest you could decide in order of HP-Atk-Def-SpA-SpD-Spe.

Don’t mean to be overly negative, I do genuinely think you’re onto something. Accelgor and Dragapult will be brutal.
Thanks for the feedback, but Diggersby couldnt get 76 base atk. Its highest stat is 85 HP, which it then gets in Speed and Def/ Spdef. It also doesnt have a base 76 stat haha.. I checked all the doubling abilities and none of them really seem to be a huge problem, Bewear has 125 HP and Def but you can avoid it with non-contact and physical fire type moves so I figured that'd be okay. Maybe Frosmoth could be a problem, but that mon is so barren coverage/movepool wise that I kinda figured it would be just fine.

Best Gal

once upon a time wont last forever
Power Three

Metagame premise:
Example:
65/90/120/85/70/60
65/120/120/120/70/60

BANS:
-Shuckle
-Steelix
-Cloyster
-Onix
-Doublade
-Aegislash
-Drifblim
-Zeraora?
-Dragapult?

THREATS:

Kingler @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Liquidation
- High Horsepower
- Swords Dance
- Rock Slide

Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Parting Shot
- Taunt
- Toxic

Mantine @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Hurricane
- Hydro Pump
- Defog
- Roost

Sawk (M) @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Bulk Up
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

This allows for some interesting possibilities with mons that see a lot of play and plenty with mons that see little;

:snorlax: becomes, like, super duper Lax with 160/160/65/65/160/30; a potent Assault Vest tank or RestTalker, the standard Lax stuff applies in this OM like every other.

:lanturn: is fun af with 125/58/58/125/125/67 as a spdef pivot and it is much more solid now with additions to its' special stats.

:vaporeon: in a similar basket with 130/65/60/130/130/65 but it has WishTect so that's nice.

:ninjask: is utter insanity with 160/160/45/50/50/160 it just comes in and brrrrrr

:toxapex: can fire off nuke-esque gunk shots while also still putting in great work as a mixed wall with 50/152/152/53/152/35

:pyukumuku: more than doubles its' base HP sitting at 130/60/130/30/130/5, lots of stall mons get hella buffed

:araquanid: now gets like free fishous by clicking buttons over and over

basically there be some wild stuff here

76/147/147/60/70/147
Haxorus gets terrifying speed and great physical bulk.

115/115/115/80/115/60
Incineroar doesn't get a huge boost in any one stat, but it gets a respectable boost in all three defensive stats, making this bulky pivot even bulkier.

145/70/40/145/60/145
Accelgor gets big boosts to special attack and HP.

69/121/60/121/60/121
Boltund's offenses are boosted to respectable levels, so it might be able to make use of its decent coverage, though it can't compete with Zeraora.

145/70/145/145/75/42
Vikavolt gets incredible physical bulk, improving its ability to pivot with Volt Switch or set up webs.

125/125/125/125/125/45
Beheeyem gets 125 almost across the board like Sawk, though unfortunately its doesn't get a boost in speed.

130/130/80/130/130/60
Lapras gets great special defense and mixed offenses. Regardless of if it specs physical or special, Ice Shard and Freeze Dry will likely be useful.

170/170/45/170/45/60
Wailord obtains terrifying power fitting for a lord, but it's still slow and kinda squishy.

75/110/110/65/110/50
130/130/70/65/50/130
Eiscue raises the question of what to do if a mid-battle form change affects HP.

:pyukumuku: more than doubles its' base HP sitting at 130/60/130/30/130/5, lots of stall mons get hella buffed
Its HP is only 55, so its new stat spread would actually be 55/130/130/30/130/5

Hey guys I have an idea for a new tier. I was thinking what if we made a new seperate tier where it´s the same as OU but every week a new Uber comes down to it. We all vote on who it will be like Genesect, Ho-Oh, Deoxys etc. At the end of the week the Uber goes back to Uber and a new one takes it's place. I´m sorry if this isn´t the right sub but this site is a little confusing to get around.
The OU subforum wasn't the right place to post this, but I think it has the potential to be a fun little side ladder. Though I would have the Uber be chosen at random as opposed to vote. This meta isn't likely to see a great deal of play, so relying on a vote would lead to only a few people voting every week, assuming those few people are still interested. Doing it randomly would mean only a single person needs to draw an Uber out of a hat and drop it, or potentially even allowing for an Uber to be chosen and dropped automatically without any manual input (not sure if that would actually be possible) further reducing the need to actively support this kooky distraction.

zxgzxg

scrabble
is a Forum Moderator
The OU subforum wasn't the right place to post this, but I think it has the potential to be a fun little side ladder. Though I would have the Uber be chosen at random as opposed to vote. This meta isn't likely to see a great deal of play, so relying on a vote would lead to only a few people voting every week, assuming those few people are still interested. Doing it randomly would mean only a single person needs to draw an Uber out of a hat and drop it, or potentially even allowing for an Uber to be chosen and dropped automatically without any manual input (not sure if that would actually be possible) further reducing the need to actively support this kooky distraction.
Aren't voting for things or manually changing the metagame usually more Pet Mod-like?

Thanks for all the feedback on the Power of Three metagame :) . I think I can fix all of its overpowered issues by implementing two things- #1, HP is taken completely out of the equation- it cant be a boosted stat and it cant be used as the highest stat. #2, stats that are equal, are taken from left to right as their order instead of sharing their position. So heres an example of how a setup might change:

Original stats: 75/125/75/30/75/85
Old Power Three stats: 125/125/125/30/125/125
New Power Three stats: 75/125/125/30/75/125

A lot of mons were gaining enormous 120+ hp stats as well as a defense/spdef which was foreshadowing a broken stall meta, whereas this way there will still be powerful walls, but the walling capability is not going to touch the ceiling. The Sawk above is still a good pokemon too.

Heres some examples of mons that work well under the new format:

110/135/60/50/135/135
Exca turns into an ultra-fast special tank and hazard control.

77/70/145/145/145/43
Vikavolt is still really good, instead of being the physical wall from hell it is now a very respectable mixed wall.

It does unfortunately kill a few mons like Lanturn and Wailord, but I think it leaves the least casualties. I guess it also solves the small issue of form-changing with changing HP values. What do you think of these changes? Or is broken more fun?

Thanks for all the feedback on the Power of Three metagame :) . I think I can fix all of its overpowered issues by implementing two things- #1, HP is taken completely out of the equation- it cant be a boosted stat and it cant be used as the highest stat. #2, stats that are equal, are taken from left to right as their order instead of sharing their position. So heres an example of how a setup might change:

Original stats: 75/125/75/30/75/85
Old Power Three stats: 125/125/125/30/125/125
New Power Three stats: 75/125/125/30/75/125

A lot of mons were gaining enormous 120+ hp stats as well as a defense/spdef which was foreshadowing a broken stall meta, whereas this way there will still be powerful walls, but the walling capability is not going to touch the ceiling. The Sawk above is still a good pokemon too.

Heres some examples of mons that work well under the new format:

110/135/60/50/135/135
Exca turns into an ultra-fast special tank and hazard control.

77/70/145/145/145/43
Vikavolt is still really good, instead of being the physical wall from hell it is now a very respectable mixed wall.

It does unfortunately kill a few mons like Lanturn and Wailord, but I think it leaves the least casualties. I guess it also solves the small issue of form-changing with changing HP values. What do you think of these changes? Or is broken more fun?
I think that's a much better idea, as with HP included Pokemon like Toxapex would become virtually unbreakable (ask anyone who played Godly Gift in the early days what it was like to deal with 150 base HP Toxapex). Some other cool Pokemon:

New base stats: 80 / 145 / 40 / 145 / 60 / 145
Super fast glass cannon, too bad its physical movepool is terrible.

New base stats: 90 / 150 / 70 / 150 / 150 / 80
Basically Rayquaza with less Speed, no Flying type and more special bulk.

New base stats: 75 / 200 / 200 / 55 / 200 / 30
Holy shit...this thing has incredible bulk, and base 200 Attack coupled with Sheer Force...yikes.

New base stats: 100 / 123 / 123 / 57 / 75 / 123
It's always been held back by average Speed. Not anymore!

New base stats: 68 / 132 / 132 / 50 / 132 / 42
Dracovish, eat your heart out! Water Bubble combined with base 132 Attack stat means it will dish out unbelievable damage to anything that doesn't resist Water.

I would totally play this meta.

zxgzxg

scrabble
is a Forum Moderator
:)

Shapeshifters
Premise: A Pokémon's stats are changed based on what other Pokémon it's nicknamed.

Stats are calculated like this (rounded down):
Stat = Donor's Stat * (Original BST + Donor's BST) / (2 * Donor's BST)

Let's say I had this set
:torkoal:
Reshiram (Torkoal) @ White Herb
Ability: Drought
Modest Nature
- Shell Smash
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Earth Power

Torkoal's stats: 70/85/140/85/75/20; BST = 470
Reshiram's stats: 100/120/100/150/120/90; BST = 680

HP = 100 * (470 + 680) / 2 * (680) ≈ 84
Atk = 120 * (470 + 680) / 2 * (680) ≈ 101
Def = 100 * (470 + 680) / 2 * (680) ≈ 84
Sp. Atk = 150 * (470 + 680) / 2 * (680) ≈ 126
Sp. Def = 120 * (470 + 680) / 2 * (680) ≈ 101
Spe = 90 * (470 + 680) / 2 * (680) ≈ 76

Torkoal's new stats are: 84/101/84/126/101/76

Each combination molds each Pokémon to the general shape of its donor's stats, hence the name of the metagame

Bans: Nothing yet

Potential Questions:
Can I get stats from an Uber?
Yes. The highest BST can go is 690, which is only 30 higher than Kyurem, the highest

How are form changes handled?
All stats are recalculated except HP.

How about Shedinja?
It's HP is hardcoded to 1 HP, so every other stat is changed except HP.

Potential Strategies:

:mew: :jirachi: :necrozma:
Movepools
Since base stats no longer matter as much, movepools determine what (or how many) roles a Pokémon can have. Therefore, Pokémon with wider movepools will be more viable. Along with having high BSTs, Mew, Jirachi and Necrozma also have access to support moves (Stealth Rock, Will-o-Wisp), recovery (Soft-Boiled, Wish, Moonlight), setup (Dragon Dance, Calm Mind), and excellent coverage.

:zamazenta-crowned: :mandibuzz: :kyurem:
Nicknames
Good stat donors should also be flexible in their roles. Zamazenta-Crowned has good defensive stats and decent Attack and Speed, so they can be used on support or physical setup. Mandibuzz has great defensive stats, but has a relatively low BST (510 BST), so it can be scaled up by higher BST Pokémon like Mew and Hippowdon. Kyurem has great offensive stats and a decent speed tier, so it can be used as a physical and special scarfers.

Potential Questions:
I know formula-based metagames are less likely to be approved. Does including another Pokémon into this formula make it more unique, or has this kind of thing been done before?
Should HP stay the same? I know other metagames like Scalemons do that.
Should Ubers be allowed to be donors? Since the stats won't be as high as the Ubers, I don't think it will be that broken.

Last edited:
View attachment 244633
Uber Wannabes
Premise: A Pokémon's stats are changed based on what Uber it's nicknamed.

Stats are calculated like this (rounded down):
Stat = Uber's Stat * (Original BST + Uber's BST) / 2 * (Uber's BST)

Let's say I had this set
:torkoal:
Reshiram (Torkoal) @ White Herb
Ability: Drought
Modest Nature
- Shell Smash
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Earth Power

Torkoal's stats: 70/85/140/85/75/20; BST = 470
Reshiram's stats: 100/120/100/150/120/90; BST = 680

HP = 100 * (470 + 680) / 2 * (680) ≈ 84
Atk = 120 * (470 + 680) / 2 * (680) ≈ 101
Def = 100 * (470 + 680) / 2 * (680) ≈ 84
Sp. Atk = 150 * (470 + 680) / 2 * (680) ≈ 126
Sp. Def = 120 * (470 + 680) / 2 * (680) ≈ 101
Spe = 90 * (470 + 680) / 2 * (680) ≈ 76

Torkoal's new stats are: 84/101/84/126/101/76

Each combination makes a scaled-down version of each Uber, hence the name of the metagame

Bans: Nothing yet

Potential Questions:
Can I get stats from a non-Uber?
No. This way, the metagame won't be too crazy.

How are form changes handled?
All stats are recalculated except HP.

How about Shedinja?
It's HP is hardcoded to 1 HP, so every other stat is changed except HP.

Potential Strategies:

:mew: :jirachi: :necrozma:
Movepools
Since base stats no longer matter as much, movepools determine what (or how many) roles a Pokémon can have. Therefore, Pokémon with wider movepools will be more viable. Along with having high BSTs, Mew, Jirachi and Necrozma also have access to support moves (Stealth Rock, Will-o-Wisp), recovery (Soft-Boiled, Wish, Moonlight), setup (Dragon Dance, Calm Mind), and excellent coverage.

:zamazenta-crowned: :necrozma-dusk-mane: :kyurem-white:
Nicknames
Good stat donors should also be flexible in their roles. Zamazenta-Crowned and Necrozma-Dusk-Mane have good defensive stats and decent Attack and Speed, so they can be used on support or physical setup. Kyurem-White is similar, except it provides more Special Attack.

Potential Questions:
I know formula-based metagames are less likely to be approved. Does including another Pokémon into this formula make it more unique, or has this kind of thing been done before?
Should HP stay the same? I know other metagames like Scalemons do that.
For one thing, your formula is wrong; using your formula gives Reshiram(Torkoal) a base 39,100,000 HP. Here's the corrected formula:
Stat = Uber's Stat * (Original BST + Uber's BST) / (2 * (Uber's BST))

Also, there aren't many Ubers to choose from, and very few of them have great stat distributions for donors. In particular, none have good stat distributions for a stall mon - Melmetal and Zamazenta-Crowned are the most defensive of the Ubers, and both have nearly half of their BST in Atk/SpA/Spe. So it might not be a very interesting metagame. It might be better to change it so mons can nickname themselves after any mon to become a scaled-down (or scaled-up) version of that mon - for instance, you could name a mon Magikarp to make it super fast or Trapinch to give it high attack or Wynaut to give it high HP (though you would probably want to rename the meta in that case). That would certainly make it harder to balance, but I think it would also make it a lot more fun.

Mirrormons

Premise:

Each base stat is "mirrored" around the average value of its base stats.

In other words: New Stat = BST/3 - Stat

In the case of Tyranitar, 100/134/110/95/100/61 becomes 100/66/90/105/100/139

This premise turns each Pokemon's weak stats into strong stats and vice versa, allowing them to shine in its opposite role.

Ruleset: Gen 8 OU
Bans: None yet
Unbans: None yet

Potential Strategies:

Drampa: 83/101/76/26/70/125
Drampa @ Life Orb
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Outrage

This set takes advantage of the physical sweeper side of its movepool with base stats to match.

Salazzle: 92/96/100/49/100/43
Salazzle (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Corrosion
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Toxic
- Dragon Tail
- Knock Off
- Fire Lash

Salazzle gets great bulk. This set allows it to poison and shuffle the opponent's team with Corrosion Toxic and Dragon Tail. If you want an offensive tank, Salazzle gets access to Flare Blitz, Gunk Shot, Leech Life, and Fire Lash, along with Dragon Dance if you want.

Accelgor: 85/95/125/65/105/20
Accelgor @ Leftovers
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Recover
- Spikes / Toxic Spikes
- Knock Off

Accelgor gets very bulky and very slow. It can now use its bulk to set up more layers of hazards and Recover to stay alive during the whole battle, as opposed to laying spikes and suiciding. Bug is an underrated type that resists both Fighting and Ground, which are very popular offensive types.

Accelgor @ Leftovers
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Recover
- Curse
- Knock Off
- Leech Life

This set makes it a curse tank. It keeps leftovers thanks to sticky hold, and has access to a very nice curse moveset.

Potential Questions:

Certain Pokemon with extreme stats, such as Shuckle and Steelix, would have negative base stats. I was thinking of setting these to a minimum of 5 since that seems to be the norm with base stats. This would, of course, result in a higher BST for these special cases, but I don't think it's significant enough to worry about it. How would you recommend handing negative base stats?

PlatypusVenom - OMs that are meant to redetermine stats with a formula are listed as a commonly rejected idea, and drampa's grandpa elaborates on the issue here: it's not that that kind of meta is inherently bad, but there are so many of them already - what would draw people to this one and what makes it worth playing over the others?
Flipped (the meta they were discussing there) ultimately did go on to be approved and is actually the Leader's Choice for this month - it's not like this is a death sentence or anything, and you could totally still make it work if you have answers to those questions! I just thought I would bring that up so you knew it was something to have in mind; it doesn't really sound like an obvious issue without that context, so you might not have been considering it yet.
That said, "The Negative Metagame," which you can find here, sounds almost exactly the same as what you're proposing. I think your biggest obstacle would be distinguishing yourself from that one?

PlatypusVenom - OMs that are meant to redetermine stats with a formula are listed as a commonly rejected idea, and drampa's grandpa elaborates on the issue here: it's not that that kind of meta is inherently bad, but there are so many of them already - what would draw people to this one and what makes it worth playing over the others?
Flipped (the meta they were discussing there) ultimately did go on to be approved and is actually the Leader's Choice for this month - it's not like this is a death sentence or anything, and you could totally still make it work if you have answers to those questions! I just thought I would bring that up so you knew it was something to have in mind; it doesn't really sound like an obvious issue without that context, so you might not have been considering it yet.
That said, "The Negative Metagame," which you can find here, sounds almost exactly the same as what you're proposing. I think your biggest obstacle would be distinguishing yourself from that one?
Thanks for the heads up. I'm aware that this is just another stat recalculation metagame, which are commonly rejected ideas, but I believe this specific premise is more interesting and intuitive. Flipped has an interesting premise in that most Pokemon in the metagame function in totally different roles than normal, just as many of these types of metagames allow. However, I feel Mirrormons is worthy of becoming an OM because it doesn't just give Pokemon different stats, it gives them opposite stats. It isn't arbitrary like Flipped. It isn't a straight buff like Tier Shift and 350 Cup. It doesn't level the playing field like Averagemons. It doesn't give players the luxury of customizing stats like Nature Swap. It's a fresh take on the existing potential of each Pokemon.

Moreso than other metagames of this type, Mirrormons allows players to explore the deepest crevasses of a Pokemon's existing moves and abilities when teambuilding. As I'm sure we're all aware, the freedom of teambuilding in OMs lies on a spectrum, from PH and BH with extreme freedom to AAA and STABmons with high freedom to Pacifistmons with very limited freedom. Mirrormons is appealing to me because it offers the same freedom as OU while providing a fresh new take on many Pokemon.

I appreciate your concern for this potential metagame and your comment gave me an excellent prompt to explain my thematic thoughts behind this metagame that I left out of my original post, so thank you. To address your final point, Mirrormons differs from The Negative Metagame in that it doesn't allow for across-the-board buffs like with Ditto and Snom or across-the-board nerfs like Mew and Kommo-o. Instead, it keeps the BST of a Pokemon stable since the stats are subtracted from a derivation of its BST instead of an arbitrary value like 160.

Retromon.png
Introduction :

Have you ever dream that Regice have 150 base special attack ? that spam Hyper Beam with Slaking ? or that use a Dragapult who haven't dragon moves ? If you think that, the Retromon tier is for you !
This tier is based on the mechanics of first gen but with all the existing Pokemon.

Rules :

-The Special stat of generation since gen two is the average of the Special Attack and the Special Defense (excepted for the evolutions of first gen Pokemon who have their Special based on the statistic who based the Special of their pre-evolutions, for example, Tangrowth have 110 Special)
-The moves from gen 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 or 8 are banned, abilities are banned and EVs are maximized.
-First gen moves have their effects in first gen (Psychic have 33% chance to low the special, Blizzard have 90 accuracy...).
-Pokemon cannot take items.
-Dark, Steel and Fairy types are deleted for the Pokemon who have a double type. If the Pokemon have only one type, Dark type is Psychic type, Steel type is Rock type and Fairy type is Normal type (Psychic type is the special type the most similar to Dark type and Rock type is the physical type the most similar to Steel type).
-Critical hits are based on the speed.
-Freeze is definetely.
-And more.

Ban :

Pokemon :

Mewtwo-Ho-Oh-Lugia-Regice-Groudon-Kyogre-Rayquazza-Deoxys-Deoxys Attack-Deoxys Defense-Deoxys Speed-Dialga-Palkia-Giratina-Arceus-Reshiram-Zekrom-Xerneas--Yveltal-Solgaleo-Lunala-Necrozma Dusk Manes-Necrozma Dawn Wings-Eternatos

Moves :
Sand Attack-Smokescreen-Flash-Confuse Ray (Haxx is very present in gen 1)

Examples

Mantine
- Amnesia
- Blizzard
- Surf
- Substitute
- (80+140)/2=110 Special

Slaking
- Body Slam
- Hyper Beam
- Earthquake
- Seismic Toss
- (95+65)/2=80 Special

Regice
- Blizzard
- Amnesia
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave/Explosion
- (100+200)/2=150 Special

Ps: I'm french so my english is not awesome

Last edited:
Dark, Steel and Fairy types are deleted for the Pokemon who have a double type. If the Pokemon have only one type, Dark type is Psychic type, Steel type is Rock type and Fairy type is Normal type.
It's totally up to you whether to take this or not, but I do have a small suggestion on this part!
So far, for all of the Pokémon that have gained these types (Magnemite and all of Gen VI's Fairy-types), Pokémon with the new type as their primary (or only) type were originally Normal-type, while Pokémon with the new type as a secondary type were originally single-typed.
(For example, Togekiss, which is currently Fairy/Flying, was originally Normal/Flying, and Clefable, which is currently pure Fairy, was originally pure Normal; on the other hand, Magnemite, which is currently Electric/Steel, was originally just Electric.)
I think this might be a good way to handle these type changes, since Psychic may not make sense for every Dark-type and Rock may not make sense for every Steel-type.
(This would make a Pokémon like Honchkrow Normal/Flying, while Pokémon like Tapu Koko would be pure Electric. It would also make sure that every Pokémon that has changed type goes back to its original type.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)