Project Metagame Workshop (OM Submissions CLOSED)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps an effect similar to Grudge or Spite could be the penalty for switching? Previous move you used gets PP reduced to 0. This wouldn't be triggered by phazing, I imagine.
An alternative solution for the PP one: maybe make it so Pokémon don't consume PP on turns when the other player has switched out?
That seems like it solves the endless switching problem right away - if someone switches, they're letting their opponent use a move for free, and they're not gaining a PP advantage because the other player isn't losing any PP either.
(You could reference the way Stakeout is implemented to apply this condition!)
Since Exausted (or exhausted) is centered around PP, why not let switching have its own PP?
At that point there is no longer a single mechanic, but several loosely connected mechanics, which cripples the chances of an OM getting approved. Even if that wasn't the case, I still don't think this OM would get far, because the core of the OM, slashing PP across the board and forcing mons to Struggle, sounds frustrating instead of fun.

It might be possible to make a cool OM based around PP, but this ain't it.

Some of you may remember Enchanted Items or as it was renamed to: Multibilities, an OM that was eventually discontinued due to it's similarities to AAA.

I propose that Multibilites is brought back as Almost Any Multibility or AAM which, rather than only being able to modify a secondary ability of choice BOTH abilities can be changed to whatever the player wants, and there's a catch: ITEMS ARE BANNED. This forces players to use the abilities at their disposal rather than making the game just another AAA clone, forcing players to think of abilities + abilities rather than abilities + items. I am aware that the whole "OMs that give players options are more likely to succeed than OMs that limit players", But I think that there are more than enough options at the player's disposal to make a metagame around. Additionally, Bans will be handled on an individual ability and ability combination level akin to Shared Power.

Clauses
Standard OU Clauses
Ability Clause: No more than 2 of the same ability per team.
Combination Clause: The same ability combination may only be used once per team.
Double Ability Clause: Two of the same ability cannot be put on one Pokemon.

Bans
Arena Trap, Comatose, Huge/Pure Power, Illusion, Imposter, Innards Out, Intrepid Sword, Moody, Neutralizing Gas, Parential Bond, Shadow Tag, Simple, Stake Out, Water Bubble, Wonder Guard

Regenerator+Emergency Exit/Wimp Out, Drizzle+Hydration, Fluffy+Fur Coat, Fluffy+Ice Scales, Fur Coat+Ice Scales, Regenerator+Fur Coat, Regenerator+Fluffy, Regenerator+Ice Scales

Blissey

Potential Bans/Threats

Regenerator
+Literally any other defensive ability seems like a recipe for disaster, but doesn't seem as problematic as...

Mold Breaker+Literally any other offensive ability. which seems to be the much bigger problem at hand.

Fluffy/Fur Coat/Ice Scales I genuinely believe that these abilities will have a place in the meta and have some semblance of balance with them.

I REALLY don't want to get ban-happy with a bunch of abilities/ability combinations so I'm starting things off very loose

Notable Nerfs
Many Pokemon and abilities defined by their items are much worse, most notably the status-based abilities like Guts, Quick Feet, Marvel Scale, and Poison Heal.

There are no berries for Harvest, Cheek Pouch or Gluttony to utilize.

Eviolite users are notably less bulky, but will still have similarly powerful abilities in place of their buffed defenses

The new move Poltergeist strait-up doesn't work and Knock-Off has no items to buff it's damage with.

Questions for the Community

Is Mold Breaker too metagame-breaking? and if it goes should Magic Bounce follow?

If there is somehow a way to include items with double abilities, how should it be done, if at all?

What other abilities/ability combinations are broken that I just didn't think of immediately?

Some of you may remember Enchanted Items or as it was renamed to: Multibilities, an OM that was eventually discontinued due to it's similarities to AAA.

I propose that Multibilites is brought back as Almost Any Multibility or AAM which, rather than only being able to modify a secondary ability of choice BOTH abilities can be changed to whatever the player wants, and there's a catch: ITEMS ARE BANNED. This forces players to use the abilities at their disposal rather than making the game just another AAA clone, forcing players to think of abilities + abilities rather than abilities + items. I am aware that the whole "OMs that give players options are more likely to succeed than OMs that limit players", But I think that there are more than enough options at the player's disposal to make a metagame around. Additionally, Bans will be handled on an individual ability and ability combination level akin to Shared Power.

Clauses
Standard OU Clauses
Combination Clause: The same ability combination may only be used once per team.

Bans
Arena Trap, Comatose, Huge/Pure Power, Illusion, Imposter, Innards Out, Intrepid Sword, Moody, Neutralizing Gas, Parential Bond, Shadow Tag, Simple, Stake Out, Water Bubble, Wonder Guard

Regenerator+Emergency Exit/Wimp Out, Drizzle+Hydration, Fluffy+Fur Coat, Fluffy+Ice Scales, Fur Coat+Ice Scales, Regenerator+Fur Coat, Regenerator+Fluffy, Regenerator+Ice Scales

Blissey

Potential Bans/Threats

Regenerator
+Literally any other defensive ability seems like a recipe for disaster, but doesn't seem as problematic as...

Mold Breaker+Literally any other offensive ability. which seems to be the much bigger problem at hand.

Fluffy/Fur Coat/Ice Scales I genuinely believe that these abilities will have a place in the meta and have some semblance of balance with them.

I REALLY don't want to get ban-happy with a bunch of abilities/ability combinations so I'm starting things off very loose

Notable Nerfs
Many Pokemon and abilities defined by their items are much worse, most notably the status-based abilities like Guts, Quick Feet, Marvel Scale, and Poison Heal.

Eviolite users are notably less bulky, but will still have similarly powerful abilities in place of their buffed defenses

The new move Poltergeist strait-up doesn't work and Knock-Off has no items to buff it's damage with.

Is Mold Breaker too metagame-breaking? and if it goes should Magic Bounce follow?

If there is somehow a way to include items with double abilities, how should it be done, if at all?

What other abilities/ability combinations are broken that I just didn't think of immediately?
The interesting consequence I immediately thought of is speed control. There are plenty of power-boosting abilities to replace Life Orb, Band, and Specs, but there aren't many speed-boosting abilities to replace Choice Scarf. The only reliable ones I can think of are the field condition ones like Swift Swim and Surge Surfer, paired of course with the ability that sets the respective condition. That might mean less things would get speed boosts because only things that benefit from weather would run them, or if more things would get speed boosts because they'll run a field condition even if they're don't care about it just for what is a greater boost that Scarf without the Choice.

Don't you just hate RNG? Did you lose say too many games to being frozen?
So what if RNG was no more?

NoRNGMons
Just simply put. No RNG.
  • Any effect with 40% or higher will be a 100%. Anything below is a 0%, unless Serene Grace.

• Any move with 80% or more will always hit. Anything below will miss, unless you boost your accuracy, or lower or opponent's evasion.​

• No more min/max rolls, only average roll.​

• Crits will only happen if you're +2 in crit chance (Focus Energy / high crit move and\or Super Luck and\or Razor Claw).​

• Harvest and Shed Skin will always activate.​
  • Wonder Skin and Tangled Feet will always activate, unless evasion dropped or accuracy raised around the 80%.​
  • Hustle will only work if the accuracy after Hustle is at least 80%.​
  • Cursed Body, Flame Body, Poison Point, Effect Spore, Cute Charm, Stench and Quick Draw will never activate.​
  • Poison Touch will only activate if used with a high poison chance contact move.​
  • Sheer Force will activate even if the moves will not on their own.​

• Sleep will always be 2 turns.​
  • Paralysis will not get para'd, but their speed is still halved.​
  • Confusion will never yield hitting yourself, but it still works with Tangled feet.​
Banlist:
Standard OU Clause
Metronome
Accuracy lowering moves
Iron Head and Air Slash
Acupressure
Starf Berry

Unbanned- OHKO moves, since they only work on No Guard mons

So pokemon with abilities that always activate, like Trevenent and Sandaconda become better.

Endure Tangled Feet Mr. Rime with the a "bad" pinch berry might be a thing.

For mons that need a speed boost, Blunder Policy + moves like Sing or Dragon Rush.

Focus Energy is now a much better setup move.

Sand Veil and Snow Cloak mons can only be hit by 100% accuracy moves under their respective weather, remember that.

This is just a funny set I thought of

Mr. Rime @ Figy Berry
Ability: Tangled Feet
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Freeze-Dry / Toxic
- Recycle
- Slack Off
- Endure

Last edited:
The interesting consequence I immediately thought of is speed control. There are plenty of power-boosting abilities to replace Life Orb, Band, and Specs, but there aren't many speed-boosting abilities to replace Choice Scarf. The only reliable ones I can think of are the field condition ones like Swift Swim and Surge Surfer, paired of course with the ability that sets the respective condition. That might mean less things would get speed boosts because only things that benefit from weather would run them, or if more things would get speed boosts because they'll run a field condition even if they're don't care about it just for what is a greater boost that Scarf without the Choice.
I was thinking of this myself as I was looking for replacement abilities, and my first thought was that speed control would be handled mostly through priority. Something like Gale Wings+Magic Guard, Grassy Surge with a Grassy Glide user, or a non-Psychic Surge terrain ability+Prankster Nature Power. There's also always basic priority moves that can be immediately boosted by some offensive ability like Technician. While I am concerned that Psychic Surge will make terrain counters a necessity, Queenly Majesty/Dazzling are one Mold Breaker away from becoming obsolete.

So a Terrain counter would look like:
Roserade @ Grassy Surge
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Nature Power
- Sleep Powder
- Spikes/Toxic Spikes

And a Mold Breaker counter would look like:

Weavile @ Refrigerate
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Throat Chop
- Fake Out
- Feint
- Low Kick/Facade

Don't you just hate RNG? Did you lose say too many games to being frozen?
So what if RNG was no more?

NoRNGMons
Just simply put. No RNG.
  • Any effect with 40% or higher will be a 100%. Anything below is a 0%, unless Serene Grace.

• Any move with 80% or more will always hit. Anything below will miss, unless you boost your accuracy, or lower or opponent's evasion.​

• No more min/max rolls, only average roll.​

• Crits will only happen if you're +2 in crit chance (Focus Energy / high crit move and\or Super Luck and\or Razor Claw).​

• Harvest and Shed Skin will always activate.​
  • Wonder Skin and Tangled Feet will always activate, unless evasion dropped or accuracy raised around the 80%.​
  • Hustle will only work if the accuracy after Hustle is at least 80%.​
  • Cursed Body, Flame Body, Poison Point, Effect Spore, Cute Charm and Quick Draw will never activate.​
  • Poison Touch will only activate if used with a high poison chance contact move.​
  • Stench will only work if stacked with extra flinching.​
  • Sheer Force will activate even if the moves will not on their own.​

• Sleep will always be 2 turns.​
  • Paralysis will not get para'd, but their speed is still halved.​
  • Confusion will never yield hitting yourself, but it still works with Tangled feet.​
Banlist:
Standard OU Clause
Metronome

Unbanned- OHKO moves, since they only work on No Guard mons

So pokemon with abilities that always activate, like Trevenent and Sandaconda become better.

Endure Tangled Feet Mr. Rime with the a "bad" pinch berry might be a thing.

For mons that need a speed boost, Blunder Policy + moves like Sing or Dragon Rush.

Focus Energy is now a much better setup move.

Sand Veil and Snow Cloak mons can only be hit by 100% accuracy moves under their respective weather, remember that.

This is just a funny set I thought of

Mr. Rime @ Figy Berry
Ability: Tangled Feet
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry / Toxic
- Recycle
- Slack Off
- Endure
I tried to write this very idea some times in this forum, glad you had it almost exactly how i planned.

I sugest to reduce the number of rules, you could do a a simple rule of 80% aanything above 80% is trigered, the rule aplies for damage, and side effects, so anything that has below 80% does the nothing/miss effect. The way you wrote adds too many rules, I think the 80% rule is the most direct way. so the only side rule you need is for damage and sleep (since wake up and sleep are neither 'nothing')

Sleep is something you must look cautiously, because sleep powder become spore with lens

Sand attack, smokscreen and any acuracy removal must be banned

hustle is busted, dracozolt and durant will be really strong

Also your rules for snow cloak and sand veil are unecessary, I know theres a necessity of making the most number of usable strategies possible avaiable, but in the end, many strategies will become better than others so prefer to reduce the number of rules you are using

Ok so I came up with a pretty silly idea for a new meta but I like it a lot

Single Use

Have you ever been swept by a mon and thought to yourself “If only their Choice item was gone…” or “I wish I’d predicted that switch-in and went for Knock Off…”? Well, this metagame’s for you!

Single Use works with a very simple premise: all items become single-use items. You use them and boom: they’re gone. Simple as that. But of course, some adjustments are made so they’re not as underwhelming.

(All the Gems from Gen 5 and Berserk Gene are now legal items btw)

List of all items and their (new) effects, if they’re not listed no changes occurred:
Absorb Bulb: Raises holder's Sp. Atk by 1 stage if hit by a Water-type attack and halves its damage.

Aguav/Figy/Iapapa/Mago/Wiki Berry: If activated, restores 50% of max HP.

Assault Vest: On switch-in, holder’s Sp. Def is raised by 1 stage.

Apicot/Ganlon/Liechi/Salac/Petaya Berry: If activated, boosts respective stat by 1.

Berries that halve supereffective damage: When hit by a [type in berry’s description] move, halves damage from moves of that type for 2 turns (that Pokémon only).

Berry Juice/Oran Berry/Sitrus Berry: If activated, restores 25% HP and heals all major status conditions (including Confusion).

Big Root: If activated, holder gains 1.5x HP from draining/Aqua Ring/Ingrain/Leech Seed/Strength Sap for 3 turns.

Binding Band: Holder’s first partial-trapping move deals 1/6 max HP damage per turn. Item is not consumed if move doesn’t connect or foe is immune to it.

Black Sludge: If holder is a Poison-type and this item is activated, restores 16.5% HP for 3 turns. If holder is not a Poison-type, loses 25% HP instead.

Bright Power/Lax Incense: Lowers foe’s accuracy by 50% for 1 turn.

Cell Battery: Raises holder's Atk by 1 stage if hit by an Electric-type attack and halves its damage.

Choice Band/Scarf/Specs: If activated, boosts the user’s Atk/Spe/SpA for 3 turns. The boost starts at 1.5x, but decreases to 1.3x on the second turn and 1.1x on the third turn.

Deep Sea Scale/Tooth: If activated, raises Clamperl’s Sp.Def/Sp.Atk by 2 stages.

Destiny Knot: If holder has its stats lowered or if it’s affected by effects such as Attract, Embargo or Taunt, foe is also affected.

Damp/Heat/Icy/Smooth Rock: If holder activates correspondent weather by an ability or move, the item is consumed and weather lasts for 8 turns.

Eviolite: On switch-in, raises holder’s Def and Sp. Def by 1 stage. Does not activate if holder cannot evolve.

Expert Belt: If activated, holder’s attacks that deal supereffective damage deal 1.3x damage.

Flame/Toxic Orb: Burns/Badly poisons holder at the end of the turn. The item is then consumed.

Focus Band: If activated, the holder will survive any attacks that would KO it, leaving it with 1 HP.

Full Incense/Lagging Tail: If activated, holder moves last in its priority bracket for 1 turn.

Grip Claw: Holder’s first partial-trapping move lasts 7 turns. Item is not consumed if it doesn’t connect or foe is immune to it.

Heavy-Duty Boots: When switching in, the holder is unaffected by hazards on its side of the field, but item is consumed. However, the item is not consumed if hazards would not affect the holder.

Iron Ball: On switch-in, lowers holder’s Spe by 2 and grounds holder.

King’s Rock/Razor Fang: If activated, holder's next move has an extra 50% chance to flinch foes. That turn only.

Lansat Berry/Leek (Farfetch’d/Sirfetch’d only)/Razor Claw/Scope Lens: If activated, holder gains the Focus Energy effect.

Leftovers: If activated, restores 16.5% HP to holder for 3 turns.

Leppa Berry: If activated, restores 10 PP to every move.

Life Orb: If activated, holder’s next move will deal 1.3x damage, but it loses 1/8 HP after the attack.

Light Ball: If activated, raises Pikachu and Raichu’s Atk and Sp.Atk by 1 stage.

Light Clay: Holder’s first screen move (Reflect/Light Screen/Aurora Veil) lasts for 8 turns.

Luminous Moss: Raises holder's Sp. Def by 1 stage if hit by a Water-type attack and halves its damage.

Macho Brace/Power items: On switch-in, lowers holder’s Spe by 2.

Metal Powder/Quick Powder: If activated by Ditto, raises Def/Spe by 1 stage. The boost is reversed after 4 turns.

Metronome: If activated, holder’s next move deals 1.5x damage if it was used by it last turn.

Muscle Band/Wise Glasses: If activated, boosts holder’s first physical/special move’s damage by 1.3x on the first turn, and lowers foe’s Def/Sp. Def by 1 stage on the second turn.

Protective Pads: Holder’s moves are protected from adverse contact effects for 1 turn (except Pickpocket).

Quick Claw: If activated, holder moves first in its priority bracket.

Ring Target: If activated, foe’s immunities granted by its typing are negated. The effect wears off if foe switches out.

Rocky Helmet: If holder is hit by a contact move, the attacker loses 1/4 of its max HP and the item is consumed.

Rusted Shield/Sword: On switch-in, raises holder’s Def/Atk by 1 stage.

Safety Goggles: Holder is immune to powder moves and damage from Sandstorm or Hail, but item is knocked off if holder is hit.

Shed Shell: Holder may switch out even when trapped by another Pokemon, or by Ingrain. The item is consumed after switching out.

Shell Bell: If activated, holder’s next attack recovers 50% of damage dealt.

Snowball: Raises holder's Attack by 1 if hit by an Ice-type attack and halves its damage.

Starf Berry: If activated, raises two random stats by 1 stage. Both boosts cannot go to a single stat.

Sticky Barb: At the end of the turn, holder loses 1/6 max HP.

Terrain Extender: If holder activates any Terrain by an ability or move, the item is consumed and the Terrain lasts for 8 turns.

Thick Club: If activated, raises Cubone and Marowak’s Atk by 2 stages.

Utility Umbrella: If activated, any weather in effect lasts for -1 turn. If used on the last turn of weather, the weather ends.

Wide Lens: If activated, holder’s next move has a 50% chance to hit.

Zoom Lens: If activated, holder’s next move bypasses accuracy checks, but holder moves last in its priority bracket.

Items that boost a certain move type’s damage: If activated, boosts damage of user’s next move of that typing by 30%. That turn only.

(Items with the effect above are Black Glasses, Charcoal, Dragon Fang, Hard Stone, Magnet, Metal Coat, Miracle Seed, Mystic Water, Never-Melt Ice, Odd Incense, Poison Barb, Rock Incense, Rose Incense, Sea Incense, Sharp Beak, Silk Scarf, Silver Powder, Soft Sand, Spell Tag, Twisted Spoon, Wave Incense, and all Plates.)

All Memories are unaffected, but RKS System will allow Silvally to use Plates to change forms. They’ll also change Multi-Attack’s typing.

NEW ITEMS!!!
Beast Ball: Grants the Beast Boost ability to holder. Item vanishes after one boost.

Quick Ball: On switch-in, raises holder’s Spe by 1 stage.

Poké Ball: On switch-in, raises holder’s Sp. Atk by 1 stage.

Park Ball/Dream Ball/Dusk Ball: If activated by Ditto, raises Atk/Sp. Atk/Sp. Def by 1 stage. The boost is reversed after 4 turns.

Flower Sweet: If the weather is Sun, raises holder’s Def by 1 stage.

Berry Sweet: If the weather is Rain, raises holder’s Sp. Def by 1 stage.

Clover Sweet: If the weather is Sandstorm, raises holder’s Def by 1 stage.

Star Sweet: If the weather is Hail, raises holder’s Sp. Def by 1 stage.

Unchanged items:
All Gems
Adrenaline Orb
Air Balloon
Berserk Gene
Blunder Policy
Eject Button
Eject Pack
Electric Seed
Focus Sash
Grassy Seed
Kee Berry
Maranga Berry
Mental Herb
Misty Seed
Power Herb
Psychic Seed
Red Card
Throat Spray

All other items are BANNED!!! They’re not single use so they’re gone. Also they’re useless :P
(really hoping I didn’t miss any items :| )

Moves such as Knock Off and the new Poltergeist are not as reliable as they are, especially with items that activate during switch-ins, but they are still somewhat relevant and good at punishing switches.

Here's a sample set:

Hawlucha @ Rusted Sword
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick
- Filler
- Filler
Hawlucha is a great abuser of both Unburden and Acrobatics and will likely dominate the meta. It already gets +1 Attack and +2 Speed on switch-in and is likely to clean teams up during late-game all by itself. You don't even need to run Rusted Sword and could choose to run Liechi Berry instead so you don't get hit by Haze when switching in.

Another one:

Accelgor @ Poke Ball
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Knock Off
- Focus Blast
- Filler

After Unburden, the only threat is priority. Same reasoning as Hawlucha, you could run Petaya Berry if you're afraid of Haze.

Potential bans and threats: Rusted Sword/Poké Ball are great late game tools, which can be very threatening and hard to deal with. Unburden Pokémon get many new tools to work with, and the same goes for Acrobatics mons. Recycle might be too gimmicky to work, but it can be interesting. Recycle + Leppa is obviously BANNED.
New Clause: Item Clause
All items are somewhat unique and there are quite a good amount of alternatives for each of them, therefore limiting players to 1 of each is meant to incentivize some diversity in items.

Questions for the community: Are the item descriptions clear enough? Are any items underwhelming/overwhelming? Would this be fun to play? Should Mega Stones be allowed but lasting for a set amount of turns, similarly to Dynamax? What about TRs? I didn't even know TRs were implemented in Showdown...

--

I couldn't fit this anywhere but as you might've seen in some item descriptions, they read "if activated". What this means is, you activate them much like Z-Moves or Mega Stones. A message about the item activating will pop up at the start of the turn it's activated, much like the message that shows up when you Mega Evolve.

Last edited:
I tried to write this very idea some times in this forum, glad you had it almost exactly how i planned.

I sugest to reduce the number of rules, you could do a a simple rule of 80% aanything above 80% is trigered, the rule aplies for damage, and side effects, so anything that has below 80% does the nothing/miss effect. The way you wrote adds too many rules, I think the 80% rule is the most direct way. so the only side rule you need is for damage and sleep (since wake up and sleep are neither 'nothing')

Sleep is something you must look cautiously, because sleep powder become spore with lens

Sand attack, smokscreen and any acuracy removal must be banned

hustle is busted, dracozolt and durant will be really strong

Also your rules for snow cloak and sand veil are unecessary, I know theres a necessity of making the most number of usable strategies possible avaiable, but in the end, many strategies will become better than others so prefer to reduce the number of rules you are using
Maybe I did add a lot of rules, but mostly just to make it so any random chance ability is explained, most of them just follow the 40% effect or 80% accuracy besides Shed Skin (33%).
I also wanted to make moves like Charge Beam and Fiery Dance useful, that's why it's 40% instead of 80%.
Also to make Serene Grace not completely useless.
I do need help with flinching, I don't want it to be disabled for stuff like Fake Out, but I don't want scarf Jirachi and Togekiss to flinch everything to death. Maybe I should just ban the moves, though they are important for mons that rely on them as STAB (Togekiss) or coverage (Kommo-o).

I think Sleep Powder won't be that bad, the fastest mon with it is Roserade, and even then, people who use Sleep Powder usually hit it.
I also don't want sleep to not exist, and since it's basically the only move that can cause it, unless it's a gravity team, it gives niche to mons that otherwise don't have a niche in OU.

Hustle Dracozolt main weakness is electric immune, and there are a lot of them
If I do ban Iron Head, I'm also nerfing Durant by removing basically his only STAB, unless you run Hone Claws Metal Claw.
Flapple might be the best Hustle mon, but it's such a frail mon, and its coverage is pretty awful.

Last edited:
In fact, there used to be a Petmod called Skillmons where the only RNG element was an extreme case of a speed tie after a bunch of other factors were considered.
RNG elements would be removed and every move/item/ability would be handled differently with the removed RNG (such as Fire Blast having its damage reduced based on the accuracy).

The problem with noRNG type of Metagames is that you have to change a lot about the game to remove RNG since the RNG acts on the game in various ways.
I think most people would want RNG to at least be limited or just removed, but you would have to hope GameFreak does that, or make your own Showdown server as changing the RNG would be way to complex for a simple metagame.

Approved by The Immortal, original ideas by Eevee General, Swaggy-G, and others, Thanks to Urkerab for hosting previously
Metagame Workshop

You asked, we delivered! This is a thread for bouncing your OM ideas off the community at large before posting them in the OM Submissions subforum. Anyone is welcome to offer feedback on ideas posted here, though recommendations from the mods (The Immortal, E4 Flint, Ransei, yours truly, drampa's grandpa) and other submission readers (G-Luke, Regirock, and Spandan) should be given priority. Our liking of posts can also be seen as expressing interest in a submission.

In order to make a preliminary outline of your submission idea, all you need to do is fill out this brief form (subject to change):

Metagame premise:
Potential bans and threats:
Questions for the community:

Some more information on each:
  • Metagame premise. Keep this succinct. In general, the metagames with the most simple changes are the ones that succeed. If you can't describe this in a single sentence (even a long one), you should go back to the drawing board. Also, you should have a fully formed idea.
  • YES: "Pokemon get access to all of their STAB moves."
  • NO: "I want to do something with STAB moves."
  • Potential bans and threats. This can be pretty brief and should also potentially include sample sets if you have them.
  • YES (this would be part of an answer): "Dragonite will be very powerful and suspect-worthy, given that it can set up using Multiscale and then mega evolve to gain a different ability like Aerilate (insert Dragonite set)."
  • NO: "I think Pokemon that can set up easily would be difficult to beat."
  • Questions for the community. Be specific. Ask the most important questions.
  • YES: "How should I address Pokemon that change form in the middle of a battle?"
  • YES: "Does the name 'Pokemoncansketchonemoveoutsideoftheirnormalmovepool-mons' express the metagame's premise clearly enough? Is it too specific?"
  • NO: "What Pokemon would be good?"
  • NO: "How should I capitalize 'Stabmons'?"
Commonly rejected OM ideas can be found here, you can find the rules for submitting a metagame here, and there is a sample format for submissions here. It is highly recommended that you check out all of the above so you can ensure that your idea is both new and fits within the parameters of what we are looking for.

Happy posting! If you have any questions, or suggestions for additions to the form, let me or a moderator know.
Hi Drampa's grandpa, I hope this is the correct way to make a suggestion.

I'm not a big Smogon player, so perhaps this suggestion is dumb, but the format I'd like to suggest is 470.

Metagame premise: The format would be as follows, each team must have an average BST of 470 or lower. (It doesn't need to be 470 per se, but that's what I'm going with for now.) Ubers, megas, and Z-moves would be allowed, as long as the BST average for that team does not exceed 470. Smogon-wide clauses would still apply.

Potential bans and threats: I think there should be a floor of perhaps 290 BST, both to stop people having a couple junk pokemon and 4-5 uber strong pokemon, but also to check pokemon like Shedinja and Ditto, which would potentially break the format.

It might also be worth banning Focus Sash in this format, to stop people stalling with their junk pokemon and making set-up way too easy. Focus Sash would allow absolutely dire pokemon to drop Toxic or Stealth Rock with basically no penalty. You'd be sacrificing a weak pokemon (that you would expect to die anyway) and the tradeoff is you get a setup move against the other team.

I'd also like to potentially ban Arceus and the like for the same reasons, Arceus would be too OP in this format, and running Arceus would also result in a team being gravely weakened.

Questions for the community: What do you think? Is this a good or potentially good format?

Introducing BlindMons (Name still pending)

The idea behind the meta is extremely simple and easy. It's the standard SS (or whatever is the newest meta) but without team preview. I know at first it doesn't seem like much but this one change could completely shake up the entire SS metagame at least in OU.
i think it would be formatted as OU (No Team Preview) and be a standard format, according to my memory with past gen ous

Ema Skye

Work!
Name: ManaMons

Metagame premise:
PP use is unlimited. However, using a move results in taking an HP penalty. The calculation is: Penalty = Max HP / original max PP. So a move with 64 max PP will take a penalty of 1/64th of max HP, while a move with 8 max PP will take a penalty of 1/8th max HP. Like all rounding in Pokemon, it is rounded down.

Additional Clarification:
  • The HP penalty is not considered recoil, and so is not impacted by Reckless or Rock Head. Pokemon with Magic Guard still take the penalty.
  • Recoil moves will have the recoil stack with the penalty. Ex. Using Head Smash will first deal 1/8th HP to activate, then will take 1/2 recoil.
  • Healing moves will have the HP deducted and then will be healed. Ex. Using Recover will incur a 1/16th HP penalty, and then 50% of max HP will be restored.
  • If taking the HP penalty would KO the Pokemon, it will fail (like Substitute)
    • A move failing (ie: double Protect) or missing will not incur the penalty. This includes moves selected while frozen (unless self-thawing), full para or sleeping (unless using Sleep Talk or Snore). The move used upon waking up or thawing will incur the penalty.
Fringe Use Cases:
  • The HP penalty of Max moves is 1/3rd (since they can be used 3 times max)
  • Using Sketch midbattle will KO the user, as it has a max PP of 1.
  • A Transformed Pokemon's moves will have a 1/5th HP penalty, as the max PP of transformed moves is 5.
  • The ability Pressure has no effect.
  • The moves Grudge, Spite, Trump Card fail upon use.
  • G-Max Depletion has no secondary effect.
  • Multi-Turn attacks will only occur one penalty - when the move is first selected. This also applies to moves with a recharge turn.
  • The penalty of moves that calls another move (Ex. Metronome or Sleep Talk) will incur the penalty of the first attack.
  • Is Dynamax still broken?
  • OU banlist aside from dynamax.
  • Can defensive play still be viable when damage is constantly being dealt?
  • Is defensive play too viable without PP stalling as a strategy?
  • How well do move viability and PP correlate?
  • Is it preferable to use max PP or original PP?

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion

Metagame premise:
PP use is unlimited. However, using a move results in taking an HP penalty. The calculation is: Penalty = Max HP / original max PP. So a move with 64 max PP will take a penalty of 1/64th of max HP, while a move with 8 max PP will take a penalty of 1/8th max HP. Like all rounding in Pokemon, it is rounded down.

• The HP penalty is not considered recoil, and so is not impacted by Reckless or Rock Head. Pokemon with Magic Guard still take the penalty.
  • Recoil moves will have the recoil stack with the penalty. Ex. Using Head Smash will first deal 1/8th HP to activate, then will take 1/2 recoil.
  • Healing moves will have the HP deducted and then will be healed. Ex. Using Recover will incur a 1/16th HP penalty, and then 50% of max HP will be restored.
    • A move failing (ie: double Protect) or missing will not incur the penalty. This includes moves selected while frozen (unless self-thawing), full para or sleeping (unless using Sleep Talk or Snore). The move used upon waking up or thawing will incur the penalty.
Fringe Use Cases:
  • A Transformed Pokemon's moves will have a 1/5th HP penalty, as the max PP of transformed moves is 5.
  • Multi-Turn attacks will only occur one penalty - when the move is first selected. This also applies to moves with a recharge turn.
  • The penalty of moves that calls another move (Ex. Metronome or Sleep Talk) will incur the penalty of the first attack.
I guess my biggest concern with this meta is that it feels punishing with no inherent reward. The mons that have coverage that minimizes HP loss vs mons that do not have the same viable coverage isn’t big of meta changer. It also sounds annoying to deal with more than adding new competive depth to the game.

Metagames with only negatives, no incentives, and limited changes in strategies may need a rethinking. I can see a regular OU team do fine with limited changes, but I might be underexploring this idea to its fullest.

My suggestion is to have one more correlation with a move’s PP, as to incentivize low PP moves at the cost of more HP lose. An obvious one would be a power boost of sorts. Maybe something creative would be to add secondary effects with each PP brackey to keep the “magic” theme going. For example, PP moves could all have a new effect like a higher 50% health drain, then 10 PP moves have a new effect like a chance to poison, and so on.

This still may not be perfect, as correlating PP with HP loss sounds very limiting, but I would consider adding some extra depth here to make it not feel so masochistic.

Edit: Endless battles are also a huge issue when up against stall v stall. And generally unlimited PP isn’t a big enough incentive for chipping yourself down, so that’s why I hadn’t mentioned it.

Last edited:
My suggestion is to have one more correlation with a move’s PP, as to incentivize low PP moves at the cost of more HP lose. An obvious one would be a power boost of sorts. Maybe something creative would be to add secondary effects with each PP brackey to keep the “magic” theme going. For example, PP moves could all have a new effect like a higher 50% health drain, then 10 PP moves have a new effect like a chance to poison, and so on.
I think the health drain would actually be best for all of them, but in different percentages depending on PP. It's a way to counteract the HP lost from using the move.

Metagame premise:

Fringe Use Cases:
A couple of the rules seem inconsistent:
"If taking the HP penalty would KO the Pokemon, it will fail", except in the case of Sketch, where "Using Sketch midbattle will KO the user".
"A move...missing will not incur the penalty", unless it's a multi-turn attack, in which case it will "occur one penalty - when the move is first selected" even if it misses on the second turn.

Sketch should always fail, and multi-turn moves should have the penalty when they do damage (or whenever they have their effect in the case of multi-turn status moves).

Ema Skye

Work!
A couple of the rules seem inconsistent:
"If taking the HP penalty would KO the Pokemon, it will fail", except in the case of Sketch, where "Using Sketch midbattle will KO the user".
"A move...missing will not incur the penalty", unless it's a multi-turn attack, in which case it will "occur one penalty - when the move is first selected" even if it misses on the second turn.

Sketch should always fail, and multi-turn moves should have the penalty when they do damage (or whenever they have their effect in the case of multi-turn status moves).
Right. Good catch on Sketch. Multi-turn moves should have the HP penalty dealt when dealing damage, as that is when PP is normally deducted.

I guess my biggest concern with this meta is that it feels punishing with no inherent reward. The mons that have coverage that minimizes HP loss vs mons that do not have the same viable coverage isn’t big of meta changer. It also sounds annoying to deal with more than adding new competive depth to the game.

Metagames with only negatives, no incentives, and limited changes in strategies may need a rethinking. I can see a regular OU team do fine with limited changes, but I might be underexploring this idea to its fullest.

This still may not be perfect, as correlating PP with HP loss sounds very limiting, but I would consider adding some extra depth here to make it not feel so masochistic.

Edit: Endless battles are also a huge issue when up against stall v stall. And generally unlimited PP isn’t a big enough incentive for chipping yourself down, so that’s why I hadn’t mentioned it.
It's not so much about it feeling punishing. It just changes the mechanic, borrowing an attacking system from other games (a stamina meter for all moves, demonstrated by the HP bar in this case). The idea is that this could have been something back in RBY that was just part of the game.

I think it actually adds new competitive depth because it creates a resource to manage. This creates additional complexities with attacking due to trying to manage both player's HP, as both players control each other. Even if you can't KO your target, you can still lock them out of certain options and cause their attack to fail by dealing enough damage. As example, a Magearna below 1/8th HP cannot use Fleur Cannon. While this doesn't seem that much, with hazards, its own attacks and constant pivoting into attacks makes it possible that you can lock it out of this option since it's so slow. This also puts more risk in higher power moves as they open yourself up to getting KOed.

We all know the power of chip damage (that's why Stealth Rock is so popular) and this is just more of it. This turns 3HKOs into 2HKOs, or 2HKOs into OHKOs. This changes the damage calculations because everything is taking 1% (64PP), 3% (32PP), 6% (16PP) or 12% (8PP), and this stacks with things like Life Orb, poison/burn and hazards.

Stall vs Stall is something I hadn't thought of. Most usual stall moves (Protect, Toxic) result in a damage penalty that negates Leftovers. Building the stall wall is still going to require HP to manage. This might make some moves or Pokemon banned in this meta though. I can see Regen mons being even more annoying.

The biggest issue I see with stall is that healing moves can be spammed infinitely as long as you never get super low. Every time you use Recover / Roost / Soft-Boiled / Slack Off you get a net heal of 43.75%, and you never need to worry about running out. PP stalling may be gone, but it's been replaced with HP stalling.

MAMP

MAMP!

Metagame premise:

Fringe Use Cases:
This will likely lead to endless battles. When people are disincentivised from attacking, they're just going to switch a lot.

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.

Clauses
Standard OU Clauses

Bans

Blissey

Potential Bans/Threats

Regenerator

Notable Nerfs

Protean and Libero should be on that banlist. They’re unreasonably strong in combination with things like Adaptability, and since they’re technically different Abilities they don’t fall under the Ability Clause, so you can have four Pokémon that gain STAB on everything. Regenerator has way too many complex bans surrounding it; banning it altogether would be more reasonable. I understand not wanting to get too ban-happy, but there are far too many examples of metas that start with a small banlist that is required to grow very quickly.

Other things that should definitely be on the banlist:
-Sand Rush, Swift Swim, Slush Rush, Chlorophyll and Surge Surfer
-Steelworker + Steely Spirit
-Speed Boost
-Ability-changing Abilities like Trace, Mummy and Wandering Spirit (for technical reasons)
-Shedinja

Things that should probably be on the banlist:
-Tinted Lens
-Mold Breaker, Turboblaze and Teravolt
-Contrary
-Toxapex
-Dragapult
-Keldeo
-Urshifu forms
-Zeraora

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus

Metagame premise:

Fringe Use Cases:
Stall v Stall matchups would be literally impossible to win without one side messing up.

I like the idea of utilizing an alternate system to PP that actively effects the battle every turn, but we have to keep in mind what PP does for us in regular play, eg make battles actually end.

Hi Drampa's grandpa, I hope this is the correct way to make a suggestion.

I'm not a big Smogon player, so perhaps this suggestion is dumb, but the format I'd like to suggest is 470.

Metagame premise: The format would be as follows, each team must have an average BST of 470 or lower. (It doesn't need to be 470 per se, but that's what I'm going with for now.) Ubers, megas, and Z-moves would be allowed, as long as the BST average for that team does not exceed 470. Smogon-wide clauses would still apply.

Potential bans and threats: I think there should be a floor of perhaps 290 BST, both to stop people having a couple junk pokemon and 4-5 uber strong pokemon, but also to check pokemon like Shedinja and Ditto, which would potentially break the format.

It might also be worth banning Focus Sash in this format, to stop people stalling with their junk pokemon and making set-up way too easy. Focus Sash would allow absolutely dire pokemon to drop Toxic or Stealth Rock with basically no penalty. You'd be sacrificing a weak pokemon (that you would expect to die anyway) and the tradeoff is you get a setup move against the other team.

I'd also like to potentially ban Arceus and the like for the same reasons, Arceus would be too OP in this format, and running Arceus would also result in a team being gravely weakened.

Questions for the community: What do you think? Is this a good or potentially good format?
My problem with this format is that it turns into matchup based strong mon v strong mon teams, with low bst stuff with niches (such as Shedinja). I don't really think there's a way to fix this and make it interesting.

Megas and Z moves being a thing is a no-go unfortunately. Mechanics not present in the current generation shouldn't be present in OMs unless it's part of the main mechanic of the meta.

The way you formatted your post was fine btw, A+ :blobthumbsup:

Mentioned this in OM cord like forever ago but I wanted to get some feedback on what ti mentioned I should edit

:snorlax-gmax::drednaw-gmax::charizard-gmax::machamp-gmax:
Maximization
Metagame premise:

Dynamax is Permanent, and there is no limit to the amount of Pokemon you can Dynamax.

Potential Bans and Threats:
Not really able to pinpoint what exactly, but there are notable Fighting- and Poison- Types that might snowball too easily. OU banlist with Dynamax unbanned and the Maximization mod sounds like a good start.

Questions for the Community:
Does this sound like a fun ladder metagame? Does anything need to be tweaked balance-wise?​

Single Use

Have you ever been swept by a mon and thought to yourself “If only their Choice item was gone…” or “I wish I’d predicted that switch-in and went for Knock Off…”? Well, this metagame’s for you!

Single Use works with a very simple premise: all items become single-use items. You use them and boom: they’re gone. Simple as that. But of course, some adjustments are made so they’re not as underwhelming.

List of all items and their (new) effects, if they’re not listed no changes occurred:
Absorb Bulb: Raises holder's Sp. Atk by 1 stage if hit by a Water-type attack and halves its damage.

Apicot/Ganlon/Liechi/Salac/Petaya Berry: If activated, boosts respective stat by 1.

Berries that halve supereffective damage: When hit by a [type in berry’s description] move, halves damage from moves of that type for 2 turns (that Pokémon only).

Berry Juice/Oran Berry/Sitrus Berry: If activated, restores 25% HP and heals all major status conditions (including Confusion).

Big Root: If activated, holder gains 1.5x HP from draining/Aqua Ring/Ingrain/Leech Seed/Strength Sap for 3 turns.

Binding Band: Holder’s first partial-trapping move deals 1/6 max HP damage per turn. Item is not consumed if move doesn’t connect or foe is immune to it.

Black Sludge: If holder is a Poison-type and this item is activated, restores 16.5% HP for 3 turns. If holder is not a Poison-type, loses 25% HP instead.

Cell Battery: Raises holder's Atk by 1 stage if hit by an Electric-type attack and halves its damage.

Choice Band/Scarf/Specs: If activated, boosts the user’s Atk/Spe/SpA for 3 turns. The boost starts at 1.5x, but decreases to 1.3x on the second turn and 1.1x on the third turn.

Deep Sea Scale/Tooth: If activated, raises Clamperl’s Sp.Def/Sp.Atk by 2 stages.

Destiny Knot: If holder has its stats lowered or if it’s affected by effects such as Attract, Embargo or Taunt, foe is also affected.

Damp/Heat/Icy/Smooth Rock: If holder activates correspondent weather by an ability or move, the item is consumed and weather lasts for 8 turns.

Eviolite: On switch-in, raises holder’s Def and Sp. Def by 1 stage. Does not activate if holder cannot evolve.

Expert Belt: If activated, holder’s attacks that deal supereffective damage deal 1.3x damage.

Flame/Toxic Orb: Burns/Badly poisons holder at the end of the turn. The item is then consumed.

Focus Band: If activated, the holder will survive any attacks that would KO it, leaving it with 1 HP.

Full Incense/Lagging Tail: If activated, holder moves last in its priority bracket for 1 turn.

Grip Claw: Holder’s first partial-trapping move lasts 7 turns. Item is not consumed if it doesn’t connect or foe is immune to it.

Heavy-Duty Boots: When switching in, the holder is unaffected by hazards on its side of the field, but item is consumed. However, the item is not consumed if hazards would not affect the holder.

King’s Rock/Razor Fang: If activated, holder's next move has an extra 50% chance to flinch foes. That turn only.

Lansat Berry/Leek (Farfetch’d/Sirfetch’d only)/Razor Claw/Scope Lens: If activated, holder gains the Focus Energy effect.

Life Orb: If activated, holder’s next move will deal 1.3x damage, but it loses 1/8 HP after the attack.

Light Ball: If activated, raises Pikachu and Raichu’s Atk and Sp.Atk by 1 stage.

Light Clay: Holder’s first screen move (Reflect/Light Screen/Aurora Veil) lasts for 8 turns.

Luminous Moss: Raises holder's Sp. Def by 1 stage if hit by a Water-type attack and halves its damage.

Metal Powder/Quick Powder: If activated by Ditto, raises Def/Spe by 1 stage. The boost is reversed after 4 turns.

Metronome: If activated, holder’s next move deals 1.5x damage if it was used by it last turn.

Muscle Band/Wise Glasses: If activated, boosts holder’s first physical/special move’s damage by 1.3x on the first turn, and lowers foe’s Def/Sp. Def by 1 stage on the second turn.

Protective Pads: Holder’s moves are protected from adverse contact effects for 1 turn (except Pickpocket).

Ring Target: If activated, foe’s immunities granted by its typing are negated. The effect wears off if foe switches out.

Rocky Helmet: If holder is hit by a contact move, the attacker loses 1/4 of its max HP and the item is consumed.

Safety Goggles: Holder is immune to powder moves and damage from Sandstorm or Hail, but item is knocked off if holder is hit.

Shed Shell: Holder may switch out even when trapped by another Pokemon, or by Ingrain. The item is consumed after switching out.

Snowball: Raises holder's Attack by 1 if hit by an Ice-type attack and halves its damage.

Starf Berry: If activated, raises two random stats by 1 stage. Both boosts cannot go to a single stat.

Terrain Extender: If holder activates any Terrain by an ability or move, the item is consumed and the Terrain lasts for 8 turns.

Utility Umbrella: If activated, any weather in effect lasts for -1 turn. If used on the last turn of weather, the weather ends.

Zoom Lens: If activated, holder’s next move bypasses accuracy checks, but holder moves last in its priority bracket.

Items that boost a certain move type’s damage: If activated, boosts damage of user’s next move of that typing by 30%. That turn only.

(Items with the effect above are Black Glasses, Charcoal, Dragon Fang, Hard Stone, Magnet, Metal Coat, Miracle Seed, Mystic Water, Never-Melt Ice, Odd Incense, Poison Barb, Rock Incense, Rose Incense, Sea Incense, Sharp Beak, Silk Scarf, Silver Powder, Soft Sand, Spell Tag, Twisted Spoon, Wave Incense, and all Plates.)

All Memories are unaffected, but RKS System will allow Silvally to use Plates to change forms. They’ll also change Multi-Attack’s typing.

NEW ITEMS!!!
Beast Ball: Grants the Beast Boost ability to holder. Item vanishes after one boost.

Park Ball/Dream Ball/Dusk Ball: If activated by Ditto, raises Atk/Sp. Atk/Sp. Def by 1 stage. The boost is reversed after 4 turns.

Unchanged items:
All Gems
Adrenaline Orb
Air Balloon
Berserk Gene
Blunder Policy
Eject Button
Eject Pack
Electric Seed
Focus Sash
Grassy Seed
Kee Berry
Maranga Berry
Mental Herb
Misty Seed
Power Herb
Psychic Seed
Red Card
Throat Spray

All other items are BANNED!!! They’re not single use so they’re gone. Also they’re useless :P

Moves such as Knock Off and the new Poltergeist are not as reliable as they are, especially with items that activate during switch-ins, but they are still somewhat relevant and good at punishing switches.

Here's a sample set:

Hawlucha @ Rusted Sword
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick
- Filler
- Filler
Hawlucha is a great abuser of both Unburden and Acrobatics and will likely dominate the meta. It already gets +1 Attack and +2 Speed on switch-in and is likely to clean teams up during late-game all by itself. You don't even need to run Rusted Sword and could choose to run Liechi Berry instead so you don't get hit by Haze when switching in.

Another one:

Accelgor @ Poke Ball
Modest Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Knock Off
- Focus Blast
- Filler

After Unburden, the only threat is priority. Same reasoning as Hawlucha, you could run Petaya Berry if you're afraid of Haze.

Potential bans and threats: Rusted Sword/Poké Ball are great late game tools, which can be very threatening and hard to deal with. Unburden Pokémon get many new tools to work with, and the same goes for Acrobatics mons. Recycle might be too gimmicky to work, but it can be interesting. Recycle + Leppa is obviously BANNED.
All items are somewhat unique and there are quite a good amount of alternatives for each of them, therefore limiting players to 1 of each is meant to incentivize some diversity in items.

Questions for the community: Are the item descriptions clear enough? Are any items underwhelming/overwhelming? Would this be fun to play? Should Mega Stones be allowed but lasting for a set amount of turns, similarly to Dynamax? What about TRs? I didn't even know TRs were implemented in Showdown...

--

I couldn't fit this anywhere but as you might've seen in some item descriptions, they read "if activated". What this means is, you activate them much like Z-Moves or Mega Stones. A message about the item activating will pop up at the start of the turn it's activated, much like the message that shows up when you Mega Evolve.
Bumping this bc i think it got ignored @_@

Mentioned this in OM cord like forever ago but I wanted to get some feedback on what ti mentioned I should edit

Maximization
Metagame premise:

Dynamax is Permanent, and there is no limit to the amount of Pokemon you can Dynamax.

Not really able to pinpoint what exactly, but there are notable Fighting- and Poison- Types that might snowball too easily. OU banlist with Dynamax unbanned and the Maximization mod sounds like a good start.

Does this sound like a fun ladder metagame? Does anything need to be tweaked balance-wise?​
Stall is GONE since all Status moves become Max Guard, which makes it a losing battle if your foe can Dynamax and you can't, which you really won't in order to retain your status moves, and honestly? I love it. This sounds really fun to play! Hazard removal will theoretically not be as frequent so I think GMax Copperajah will shine on many teams. But then again, Defog might be carried around on a bunch of teams since it becomes Max Guard when you DMax, which is really handy.

How would PP work? Would the Max Moves retain the base move's PP?

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus

Clauses
Standard OU Clauses

Bans

Blissey

Potential Bans/Threats

Regenerator

Notable Nerfs

It's no secret I adore Multibility. I'm biased af here, but yessssss please.

I like the concept of Abilities working like in AAA. I think it will honestly play less like AAA this way, even though the mechanics are more similar. You get two abilities that are both functional and synergistic, whereas in standard Multibility the best Pokemon frequently had one underwhelming ability and one they chose, leading to an environment rather like itemless AAA.

I don't like items being banned. Abilities are worth the item slot most of the time, and there's nothing suggesting they'd be broken. In addition complex bans should be avoided wherever possible.

The banlist needs some work but that can be figured out later.

I think this could be a submeta of AAA honestly. That might help it get approved, although of course I'd be hyped to see Multibility return in any form.

Maximization
Metagame premise:

This seems... odd. Maybe if everything is always Dynamaxed and can use Status moves (and Protect turns into Max Guard ig).

Otherwise it becomes very much a lot of the same. Anything that doesn't need status moves is gud anything that does is screwed.

Single Use

NEW ITEMS!!!

Unchanged items:
All Gems
Adrenaline Orb
Air Balloon
Berserk Gene
Blunder Policy
Eject Button
Eject Pack
Electric Seed
Focus Sash
Grassy Seed
Kee Berry
Maranga Berry
Mental Herb
Misty Seed
Power Herb
Psychic Seed
Red Card
Throat Spray

Here's a sample set:

Hawlucha @ Rusted Sword
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick
- Filler
- Filler

Another one:

Accelgor @ Poke Ball
Modest Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Knock Off
- Focus Blast
- Filler

--

This would be a Pet Mod because of the modifications it makes to existing items effects. They cannot all be defined by one objective rule or mechanic modification and as such this would not be accepted. I don't think you can make most items one use without doing this either.

PSA While I've been slacking on responding to stuff in this thread I'm absolutely not going to go through and respond to everything, that's too much and a lot of it is old. I'll try to keep up from now on.

Maximization
Metagame premise:

You missed fairandbalancedclickAirstream.exe.
The problem with Dynamax is the Max Moves are inherently designed around type flavour rather than what's actually balanced, and this makes some Max Moves inherently better than others. I'll give you an idea below:
S Rank (Max Moves that any self-respecting Dynamax abuser should have access to)
Max Airstream-Raising Speed makes any sweeper more deadly in an instant. Click this until your Dynamaxed mon outruns the entire opposing team, then if there's anything left click the snowballing moves.
Max Geyser (on a Swift Swim mon)-Rain has always been a top playstyle, so with the ability to attack and set rain for a sweeper at the same time, it's no surprise that this is busted.
Max Rockfall (on a Sand Rush mon)-Excadrill loves being able to set its own sand and run through a team with its STABs.
A+ Rank (Max Moves that are extremely good on any mon with access to them)
Max Flare-While there aren't really any notable Chlorophyll mons to abuse it as much as the other weathers, setting Sun still overwrites other weathers and boosts the next Max Flare considerably.
Max Geyser (other mons)-See above.
A Rank (Max Moves that perform well and have useful effects)
Max Lightning-Sets Electric Terrain to boost the power of the next Max Lightning, and overwrites other terrains. However due to the Terrain nerf this is somewhat weaker than weather.
Max Overgrowth-See above.
Max Mindstorm-See above.
Max Knuckle (physical mons)-Boosting Attack automatically sounds busted, but this is ironically one of the few bits of Dynamax that Game Freak did well thanks to the power nerf, and this is mainly good due to how devastating Fighting coverage is.
Max Phanstasm (physical)-Dropping Defense is terrifying and can allow all kinds of walls to fall to repeated use of this move.
Max Darkness (special)-See above.
A- Rank (Max Moves that are often useful, but not overwhelming like the above Max Moves)
Max Steelspike-Boosting Defense does not sound as automatically broken as the above moves, but nonetheless allows certain Pokemon to become invincible if they are allowed to snowball, and even the ability to take one extra attack is appreciated. In particular, combining this with Max Quake can make a sweeper very hard to defeat.
Max Quake-See above.
B Rank (Max Moves that exist and have an effect. They're ok if you get STAB on them.)
Max Starfall-Misty Terrain is obviously weaker than the other terrains. In this format without status moves it's pretty much useless, bar overwriting other terrains.
Max Rockfall (other mons)-The extra chip damage is ok, and it gets rid of other weathers. Eh.
Max Hailstorm-See above.
Max Strike-Dropping Speed can be useful, but Normal is a tragic attacking type. In this format it will probably be redeemed by Hyper Beam and Giga Impact being on everything with a spare moveslot.
Max Wyrmwind-Dropping the opposing Attack is rarely useful, but Dragon is a decent attacking type.
Max Ooze (special mons)-This one being so low is mainly the consequence of Poison being a tragic attacking type, and the base move never exceeding 100 BP. In spite of the Special Attack boost, only a select few like Gengar and Toxtricity can bring out this movie's seemingly huge potential.
C Rank (Essentially budget Z-moves. Usually not useful.)
Max Flutterby-lol Bug as an attacking type, and without a useful side effect most of the time. In this U-turn-free format, avoid.
Max Phantasm (special)-No notable effect.
Max Darkness (physcial)-No notable effect.
D Rank (Don't use)
Max Knuckle (special mons)-Rip Focus Miss has 3/4 of the power now.
Max Ooze (physical mons)-lol.
Basically, the entire metagame would be 6 mons armed with LO 4 Attacks sets tuned to use Dynamax. Very few Gigantimax forms are worth even looking at (Copperajah is just bad as a mon, and why would you use Drednaw to set Stealth Rock when it gets Swift Swim and could be setting Rain instead? Corviknight choosing between damaging Defog and Airstream is similar) aside from subtleties like Hatt not overwriting Psychic Terrain with its Fairy Gmax move, and the occasional Grimmsnarl spamming damaging Yawn. Since there would be no setup outside Max Moves, Moxie Pokemon like Gyarados and Magearna with Soul-Heart would rule the roost. I think this would need a lot of work to become playable on the fundamental level of "How do we nerf Airstream?" and "We're going to have to ban Sand Rush and Swift Swim on the spot".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)