CAP 27 - Part 9 - Sprite Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is another (probably final) update:
1590171557028.png
-->
1590171537913.png

I worked on two poses: one that bends more forward (more pokemon style) and one that leans more backwards (more lizard style).
Not sure what pose to choose though... but probably will go for the left one as the pose is a bit more dynamic.
Also reworked the hands, sleeves, tail and colors a little bit.

Hopefully I'll find the time to do the backpose too ^^

MrDollSteak I certainly support the new pose! Looks very nice!

WIP

At the behest of the Discord I shrank the sprites down to match the size of the BW sprites for most large reptilian Pokemon; I also did the back sprite and made a couple of edits to the shading and outlining. Thanks for your feedback and kind words, guys, I'm definitely gonna final-sub these things as soon as I can!
I like the progress you've made, although I want to point out that I can barely see the tip of the tail fin on the white background. It is much too light imho.

Here is another (probably final) update:
-->
I worked on two poses: one that bends more forward (more pokemon style) and one that leans more backwards (more lizard style).
Not sure what pose to choose though... but probably will go for the left one as the pose is a bit more dynamic.
Also reworked the hands, sleeves, tail and colors a little bit.

Hopefully I'll find the time to do the backpose too ^^
I personally much prefer the mouth closed, although I think either leaning forward or leaning backward looks good.

Slapperfish

Banned deucer.
WIP

Muted the colors a bit to make it easier on the eyes and changed the lighting to be more on par with other BW-style sprites.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Krazyguy75, whoo, excited to see you give spriting a try! For a first sprite, you've nailed down a lot of spriting concepts! I like the colors you've used on your sprite, and your attention to shape look great, especially on the antennae, arms, and tail tuft.

My feedback for you: The legs are on really different planes, so it looks like it's in a jumping pose rather than an idle pose. I also think the pose in your sprite is a bit stiff. The trunk of the torso is really vertical, while the tail comes out from the back horizontally. Would you be able to show a more gentle slope from the torso to the tail?

--

noobiess, the color of the head and arms on your sprite are a light blue, but on the main design drawing, they're an off-white, peachy color. I think the parts of your sprite that are actually meant to be light blue look a bit gray and could use some saturation. :) I prefer the pose on the left, too. It has a better line of motion.

--

Everyone else I gave feedback on Discord. ^^

Edit: Churdizard: that's a fun sprite, but this sort of sprite belongs in the CAP Fanart thread. :)

Zephyri

put on your headphones and burn my city
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator
WIP

Muted the colors a bit to make it easier on the eyes and changed the lighting to be more on par with other BW-style sprites.
Slapperfish, I love where the design is going! The progress has been amazing.. but i have a small nitpick.. I think the arms are a bit skinny. Maybe fatten them a bit.. or move them a little upwards so it's more a bit more balanced?

Final Submission

This took a lot of consultation with a number of on the Discord chat, including Quanyails themselves, but I'm pretty sure it was worth it. Thanks to all the people there for their help, and good luck to all the entrants as always!

Slapperfish

Banned deucer.
Final Submission

Man, what a journey it's been on my first true spriting venture! Rather than basing the sprite's pose on the official art, I instead decided to base it on Quanyails' idle stance sketch that was initially included as supporting art.

Big, BIG thanks to everyone on Discord who gave their feedback on the design. May the best sprite win!

Final submission

Might do so some minor tweaks if I find the time but I like how it turned out generally.

MrDollSteak Love the final result! Nice job!
Slapperfish I'm impressed on how much progress you have made in such short time! Hope to see some other spritework from you in the future!

edit: Did some minor color adjustments based on the comments of Quanyails.

Last edited:
Not gonna submit. Too busy to make a back sprite and fix the front one, plus I’m fairly happy with the ones others have submitted so far.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

I've been thinking the design as floaty--although I'm in the minority here. :P

Color count: 18 + transparency

--

Comments:

noobiess, it seems like the outlines on the white part of the head haven't been updated to match the recolor? The outlines are still blue. I also don't think this is your intent, but the colors around the mouth make it look like face paint. :S The colors are still rather dull, too.

Final Submission

I went with the majority and gave my sprite an idle position. I still tried to keep the dainty look of the original by facing it sideways. Although I first wanted to make it floaty too, I’m really happy with how the sprite turned out.
Here is how it relates to other gen 5 sprites:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)