Team MPL VI - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello my name is Ronman5 and Im an Monoholic.
My first time playing mono was back in 2013 back when it was "just a new idea" and "just something the kids today were doing" I got hooked on it and have been playing it hardcore man
I never noticed that the addiction turned greater in gen 6 when my favorite type had its strongest weapon. But since Genesect has been banned I haven't seen that high ever since. Lately Ive been going into withdrawls since then always wanting to get my fix but can just never get the kind of high I experienced before, If someone anyone can please help me go through Monochlism please contact me over Discord or Smogon.

Monochlism is when teens of the world get addicted to a drug called Monotype and continue to play it for years and years getting high off the wins as their type advantage team beats the shit out of weaker types.

If you or a loved one has suffered from Monochlism please contact and join the OU room to recover from your euphoric highs.

This message was sponsored by the Eien corporation, protecting the innocents since 2012.

Last edited:

Entei

TIMMEHHHHHHHHHHHHhHhhhh
is a Tiering Contributor
Hello guys. I know I have been undrafted for quite some time, but this time I am really trying to put some effort. Not sure if this is going to change a thing in the real draft but I definitely believe my skill level is at least acceptable for this tournament. Also not going to pull any unorthodox methods but I believe some of these managers need to put their grudges aside and grow up. All I am asking is a chance to have good records and do my best.

That's about it.
Wasn’t going to reply but this caught my eye;

Usually meanies stay meanies but it makes me happy to see something that to me at least looks like actual maturity and pure will for fun & competition.
Not sure how serious you new meanies are going to take this, and I’m not going for no “respect your elders” kind of shit although you could definitely take it that way too, if you have a problem with anyone share your thoughts with them and work it out, you never know how much you could be missing on, as a manager, who could be granted free wins if said player is good enough, or idk as just two people who have great game/characteristic chemistry, and just don’t know it yet.

Also would like to apologize for the random serious post among all the meme-y ones, I just thought this needs to be said.

Fuck every single one of you who consider this corny, you’re the reason this world is collapsing you dumb motherfuckers
Love y’all

Ticken

Lotad & Bulbasaur Enthusiast
is a Top Tutoris a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Host
B101 Leader
The draft date has been confirmed. It will be on Sunday, June 14th @ 12PM EDT (GMT -4) in the Monotype Events room! If there are any changes I will reply again but assume that date and time if I do not.

--
Also please keep this thread related to MPL VI. I'd rather see mock results than what has transpired above so please stay on topic.

I just wanna say that if ur a new face in the community, don't let not getting drafted or the memes against you demotivate you from playing the tier. If anything let it motivate you for the future. I am literally the prime example of someone that was absolutely destroyed by memes and posts roasting me, and after some hard work I was able to get picked up the next time around and be a big contribution to my team. When you let your skill do the talking nobody cares about how u made a bad post 6 months ago, or one month ago, or last week.

Also, posts against new users that make a bad post can be extremely funny I can't lie, but if your one of the people that jump on the dogpile with low effort like farms after someone else made fun of them first then you're just a pussy. Jabs at new users can be funny but 10+ people clowning on a new user that's just trying to fit in might legitimately make them quit the tier.

I just wanna say that if ur a new face in the community, don't let not getting drafted or the memes against you demotivate you from playing the tier. If anything let it motivate you for the future. I am literally the prime example of someone that was absolutely destroyed by memes and posts roasting me, and after some hard work I was able to get picked up the next time around and be a big contribution to my team. When you let your skill do the talking nobody cares about how u made a bad post 6 months ago, or one month ago, or last week.

Also, posts against new users that make a bad post can be extremely funny I can't lie, but if your one of the people that jump on the dogpile with low effort like farms after someone else made fun of them first then you're just a pussy. Jabs at new users can be funny but 10+ people clowning on a new user that's just trying to fit in might legitimately make them quit the tier.
I agree with you a lot considering I felt like almost quitting after week 1 of BLT where I got dogged on by a good 10+ users but unfortunately I was just super happy to win since I normally don't get picked at all for team tours (And that's more sad when you getting close to retiring) I was just happy to win lol and I guess I felt some nervs or something just wash away....

I just sucked it down and won 3 straight, and got two close Ls in the weeks after. with.... more or less apathetic sounding win posts since I didn't want myself or my team to look bad for the rest of the tour.

I can tell you though when you dog pile too much on a new user you likely can scare that user away from doing Monotype based things, which is why I probably was so disinterested in gen 7. I mean like I was a good user during the old BW and ORAS days, but Gen 7 I just hit a wall and couldn't climb it, and when I was being dogged on hard for days it just made me quit the tier and almost quit PS for a while as battles just felt like Apathetic at that point. I regained some of the passion back closer to the end of gen 7 though, but too little too late for that gen I guess.

Omega-Xis

Mauville's Own
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Omega's Guide To Getting Drafted
Hello! Looking to score your first entry in Monotype's team tour scene? As somebody who has previously managed and hosted, I know EXACTLY what this year's managers are looking for!

DO:
1. Master Tic Tac Toe. This has been recognized by goats across the ages as the best means of prep.
bush tic tac toe.png

gen 8 tic tac toe.png

kaiser tic tac toe.png

2. Be extremely aggressive and abrasive. Don't ever let them forget that you're right.
bush unbanned.png

DON'T:
1. Play Monotype. Let me show you the roster of last year's winning squad. (At least don't make it the only thing you play.)

champgar.png

Finch, evi, Feitan, Megazard... known far and wide outside of the Monotype community, even. Some of this DON'T stems from DO #1. Monotype is tic tac toe, according two of our great, fallen legends Bushtush and the other whose name will not be spoken of, may they rest in peace. Start playing OU, develop good habits (unlike your stereotypical ladder hero) and then get well known in another PL community to get drafted here. This point will also flow very well into DON'T #2!

2. Learn how to teambuild for Monotype. It's very likely that your managers will draft one player (e.g. Thorn, Arifeen in the first few MPLs, Vid did this to himself) that will be building 8 teams a week. Case in point:
teambuilding slaves.png

You could also roll up to your match with a sample team.

3. Be kind or respectful. This can just be seen as the foil to DO #2. When you win, let people know that it was effortless for you.
ru open easiest games.png

LCPL easiest game.png

Look at these esteemed individuals' signatures! Displaying attitudes such as these will not only have you on your way to being drafted for MPL, but they'll see you winning effortlessly in opens, winning in various other PLs and perhaps even winning SPL.

I'll even give you the scoop on what to do if there's a specific team you want to get on:
  • Blackthorn Bucks - Send Zarif and Havens 300-word essays on why this is the greatest song of our generation.
  • Dreamyard Darkrais - Make fun of H.M.N.I.P while taking to Kev. (Sorry, Pietro).​
  • Goldenrod Gengars - Learn some Hindi and make extensive use of various gengar emotes in the Gengars discords. Nothing strikes fear into your opponents like a good old "Aise mat bolo, bhenchod."​
  • Hau'oli Houndooms - Like and subscribe to Harpp's YT channel. Tell maroon that he is the nicest user.​
  • Hearthome Honchkrows - Memorize Afreen Afreen.​
  • Meteor Falls Miniors - Send Attribute and Ridley wholesome images of Clearly's feet.​
  • Mirage Island Milotics - Send Decem countless Pokémon gijinka.​
  • Trick House Treeckos - Send Wanka and Lucky Piper recordings of you watching this season's top anime while eating chorizo.​

Attachments

Last edited:
Wasn’t going to reply but this caught my eye;

Usually meanies stay meanies but it makes me happy to see something that to me at least looks like actual maturity and pure will for fun & competition.
Not sure how serious you new meanies are going to take this, and I’m not going for no “respect your elders” kind of shit although you could definitely take it that way too, if you have a problem with anyone share your thoughts with them and work it out, you never know how much you could be missing on, as a manager, who could be granted free wins if said player is good enough, or idk as just two people who have great game/characteristic chemistry, and just don’t know it yet.

Also would like to apologize for the random serious post among all the meme-y ones, I just thought this needs to be said.

Fuck every single one of you who consider this corny, you’re the reason this world is collapsing you dumb motherfuckers
Love y’all
First off, I would like to say thanks for the positive feedback! I wasn't actually expecting that many people, especially some of which I have had beef within this community in the past, would fully read my (short) post and not take it as a meme. I know there still were some clown meme posts from other people below it, but all that matters is that I said what was on my mind at the moment and being 100% honest.

Secondly, a brief story about myself in this community: idk if many of you consider me as a "meanie" but yes, I have been through many shit in this site for years. I was a memer, toxic, and other sort of negative comments you probably have heard of me but know this: I don't feel regretful for anything I have done. However, this does not mean I cannot re-evaluate certain aspects about myself and do better. Every mistake is a lesson and you can always convert that experience into something better, both for you and other people. Also a side note that this is one of the reasons why I never really wanted to undergo a name change in this community because it would simply be an attempt to forget everything that i experienced, and not face the facts as I believe it should be done. Of course not going to call out the countless cases in this community especially because i believe there are other reasons to name change than simply throwing your rub under the carpet, but rather, I would like to say I 100% respect people who never really did that and kept going w/ their shame and glory until today. Sabella, TheThorn, and even Soma are example of players that never really gave up on their past and you see they still have their old-school names till today, it is really admiring that we still have people like this in here. Please note that I don't have anything against people who have changed their names though, it is a honorable mention to the bravest users who have been through tough moments and stood true to their essences.

Finally, and most importantly I believe, I also would like to say I agree with everything Entei said. However, some things are much easier said than done. Not really trying to pull up excuses but I think this needs to be done in its own time and w/ honesty from both sides. Feeding the situation with falsehood can break the environment, especially that some people might really never get along with me and I respect that. However, I also believe that the own MPL event can serve as a great opportunity for us to set our facts straight and "work it out" as you said. And reiterating my previous post: Yes, I am really putting some effort this time. Both teamwork wise and battling, I really want to commit to this competition and show my rather long experience I have on this site, even if it is not that big of a deal compared to what some people have improved in such a short time. And more importantly, like many of players in this competiton: I want to have fun. Especially because I have never been in an official team tour before so I can't tell which kind of fun it looks like, but a good time with you all would be really nice.

There really isn't a tldr: everything was written with actual heart and sincerity. I promise there won't be any walls of texts for a long time now.

edit: correcting some typos/ambiguous terms

Chras' MPL memes always find a way to cure my depression lmao
First off, I would like to say thank you for all the likes! I wasn’t actually expecting that many people would like my meme, especially some of which I was making fun of in them, would fully watch my (short) shitpost and not take it seriously. I know there still were some serieus boring posts from other people below it, but all that matters is that I made what was in my brain at that moment, and being 100% meme.

Secondly a brief story about myself in this community (approx. 12000 words)
Idk if many of you consider me as a “monotype player” but yes, I have been through many games of mono on this site for years. I was a “mpl champ”, “ladder hero” and any other sort of great achievements you probably heard of me, but know this: I don’t feel regretful of anything I have done. However, this does not mean I cannot re-evaluate certain aspects about myself
Sidenote 1: this is one of the reasons why I never really wanted to undergo a name change in this community, because it would be an attempt to escape all the fame and glory, and not to face the fact as I believe it should be done. Also, zarif said I couldn’t change my alt to zariflames which was a bummer.
Of course not going to call out the countless cases that, but rather, I would like to say I respect people who never really did (which is basically calling out everyone that did). People like Soma or Juleo Cesar, who, even tho they were amazing monotype battlers, still kept going under the same names and did not try to run away from their glorious past. They are the bravest users, standing true to their essence.

Chapter 3: the third chapter

I would like to agree with what FU SHUN HA said:

I’m just a positive guy tbh
However, some things are much easier said than done. Not really trying to pull up excuses, but I think this needs to be done. Feeding the thread with serieus posts bore the fuck out of me, especially because some people might never get funny. However, I also believe that the own MPL event can serve as a great opportunity for us to get our memes straight and “work it out”
And reiterating my previous meme: Yes I am actually putting some effort this time. Both visual and sound wise, I really want to commit to this competition and show my rather long experience I have making memes, even if it is not that big of a deal compared to what some people have improved in such a short timeL And more importantly, like many of players in this competition: I want to have memes. Especially because I have never been in an official meme tour before so I can't tell which kind of meme I will make, but a good meme with you all would be really nice.

There really isn't a tldr: everything was written with actual heart and sincerity. I promise there won't be any walls of texts for a long time now.

edit: correcting some long tangents/ambiguous terms

Washed up 0 MPL wins goon coming back to drop the wisdom for the third time.
Eien's (Half Unironic) Guide to Being Drafted
by somebody who has missed playoffs 3 out of 4 of his MPL runs :mad:

1. If you haven't been drafted in a Monotype team tour before and aren't in the tours community, you need to actually play Monotype and win games leading up to MPL in "real tours". Don't have your resume be 2 total serious tour wins in nearly 2 years. You don't need to win a whole tour or go like 20-1 to get drafted, but show activity, show interest, and show that you can be trusted to perform in a high pressure, high stakes match. Also, who does predictions for round 1 seasonals LOL

2. Unless your name was in top 48 of seeded (and that's being generous probably down to just top 32 did you see who was allowed to rank LOL), talk to managers. I really don't care how good you think you are; if you look at your rank and don't think it's right, that's too fucking bad because 4 managers were on the seeding list and a 5th was one of the tour's hosts. Those are the people you need to convince that you're worth their money, and that was just 1 month ago. Doesn't matter if you supposedly "proved yourself" by going 1-3 in Mono WCOP and then 1-4 in Mono BLT, so you think you'll be drafted in MPL for sure. Talk to managers so that you make sure they know your name when it's draft day. Don't do nothing and then say this when managers don't remember you during the draft:
3k overpay said:
[22:24:43] some_goon: no why the fuck would I tryout. I’m not BLT bum nigga. I proved myself
[22:25:18] some_goon: I already got my name out there as a player
[22:25:23] some_goon: and as a monotype player
[22:25:29] some_goon: niggas know my abilities
3. Who you know is as important as what you know. Fact of the matter is that who gets drafted in MPL is partially tied to who people like and are friends with. My entire MWP2 lineup consisted of my friends or my friends' friends. People I knew I would have fun playing a tour with and who I trusted to put in some effort. Same goes for MPL4, where half the lineup is just people I liked and wanted to have on my team. Some players who have like no good tour record will get drafted every year because of who they know. That means make friends with people prior to the tour and by god don't make enemies, especially with those who are probably going to manage. Team cohesion and synergy hella matters and people will buy players they know will have good synergy and will make for a good team environment. This might happen in BLT, but it sure isn't gonna happen in MPL (outside of some good ol' trolling of course. Ssalbap you should have said yes when I asked to manage Miniors with you...):

4. Have a good time and make jokes with the community. MPL is one of the best times for the community to come together and just really have fun. However, don't try too hard in the discussion thread. When it's draft day, you want people to look at your name and think about whether you're a good player. If you start getting memed, you can PM them and say so if it's not funny and hurts your feelings, but by god don't fight back. The Monotype meme machine can't be fought. Prove them wrong with good replays and tryouts. On draft day, you don't want managers to be thinking about that time you posted a 500 word essay along with a picture of a wolf in sheep's clothing.
somebody who got drafted 6 months later lol said:
Sick like grab fam. Guess its gonna take me to show why your post was fucking retarded.

Ok first of all. I LITERALLY SAID at the end of my post that I have never preformed in an mpl and make a joke about it. Plus the fact that every thing I said was already stated by a manager or fucking common sense. So I don't see how im "not qualified" to give the tips that were given to me to other new players and help them out too.

Secondly, yes. That was me. But it was literally my first premier league ever. So I wanted to do anything to showcase my skill. Sure it wasn't smart, but ONCE AGAIN I had just found out about mpl and I thought I was a good idea. Hence I abandoned the alt literally the next day.

Also your next point is just fucking stupid. It was the most obvious satire on people that take things too seriously that it baffles me that you couldn't get it. Just goes to show how stupid you are.

You actually seemed like a cool dude whenever when talked and when I saw you in discord chat. Just goes to show you the snakes there are.in this fucking community.

I worked my ass off to get drafted. So for you to go out of your way to do this for a fucking LIKE GRAB pisses me off and just goes to show how like hungry and pathetic you are.

Sorry for bringing drama into chat but seriously. Come the fuck on dude.

5. Don't send 300 replays when you tryout except to Zarif, who you should send your entire replay collection to preferably by @ing him on Discord and starting a Smogon convo. Send a handful of quality games (max of like 7 really, like 5 per gen if you're trying out for multiple) so that managers can quickly watch a strong sample of your play and then do tryout games. Nobody is seriously going to sit down and watch 50 of your replays. The first few already give us a good idea of whether you worth spending more time trying out. If you need to send a billion replays to prove you're good and can't narrow it down to a few, that's honestly a red flag already. Only Zarif will watch all of these: https://pokepast.es/a5d3ac3259c5c5c5

That's all folks! Miss you all and hoping for some great MPL games again this year. Remember to tag @matchas in the Mono discord for r1 ssnls games once the tour starts :blobthumbsup:

idgaf if you think this is cringe or corny

Honestly just be you and don’t tryhard for others approval. Just play and improve as much you can also I wouldn’t worry about what people have to say because someone or some group will always have something to say and try to flex egos(as long you learn from your mistakes and not be rude and listen if someone is giving good advice!!!!). If you dont make it this year dont worry you can always prove yourself in other tours so you can make it next mpl. Who knows you may end up being a up coming player! Advice for tryouts, try to show what makes you unique! that can be for building, Someone that can make a clutch play or just a great teammate by helping others. One last thing if you’re doing tryouts act like its a tour game and prep for it. Preping will take you far. This is coming from someone who isnt everyone favorite person and had a tough start and has played every major mono team tour since mpl3. What makes you bad is when you quit but what makes you a winner is when you get up and try again. Use your failure as motivation let people talk and use that as motivation. Show them what you can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)