Rejected - Inactive Adding Item Icons To Team Display

Morgan

Morgius Sweep
is a Pre-Contributor
Currently it can be hard to tell what items your pokemon have at a glance when loading up a team. I think that putting small item icons next to the Pokemon like on cartridge would be helpful to players double checking their teams.

5FD5850B-C072-4D7F-94D3-07007947B8F7.jpeg

For example, it would be helpful to have an item icon showing what each of these Pokemon were holding. I think that this would save players a lot of trouble and time double and triple checking that they’re using the correct team, especially when the player may have multiple teams with the same name.

Geysers

not round
is a Community Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Currently it can be hard to tell what items your pokemon have at a glance when loading up a team. I think that putting small item icons next to the Pokemon like on cartridge would be helpful to players double checking their teams.

View attachment 263144

For example, it would be helpful to have an item icon showing what each of these Pokemon were holding. I think that this would save players a lot of trouble and time double and triple checking that they’re using the correct team, especially when the player may have multiple teams with the same name.
This would be especially useful for, say, distinguishing arceus formes in AG. I think this is a great idea.

I have a better idea. The picture of the item can be on the bottom right corner of each Pokemon. It would be a very small image on the bottom right corner.

You can see what the item is, and it won't look cluttered. And it would also look very nice and professional.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
With many combinations of mons, there doesn't seem enough space for item pictures to be on the bottom right corner. I could barely fit these small red dots in this combination.

The only answer I can really think of to this would be to enlarge it, and have items show up as you mouse over or something. It's definitely a great addition, but rn it seems impossible without a lot of change. It should be non-invasive to the viewer and not be cluttered.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
For example, here's a bunch of Choice Scarfs attached to each of the Pokemon in what was shown earlier.
1595483139922.png

As you can see, it is a bit cluttered. Even if you were to reduce the size, you should note the context. Let's apply this to my smaller monitor's Showdown window.
1595483333326.png

As you can see, my poor Pincurchin is hardly visible. Not only that but once again, it is cluttered. The items, in this context, only really serve to make it less clear. I do think there's potential here though; maybe the items could be made smaller, perhaps some kind of transparency...

LouisCyphre

heralds disaster.
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Adding to this thread, I'd like to see item icons at least on my Pokemon during battles, like so.

1600164255160.png

I also wouldn't be terribly opposed to enlarging the team select drop-down, such as making it 2x3:

1600165356285.png

Hopefully if it gets implemented it looks better than this

edit: The one below looks a lot nicer, haha. Of course we could just shrink them.

Last edited:

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
My suggestion is this:

Just reduce the size of item and put on right of owner Pokémon, in my eyes, looks very nice this model.
That doesn't really work with pixel art, they just become a blur of anti-aliasing. You'd need to manually resize every item by re-spriting them, something that would take up a lot of time and effort.

LouisCyphre

heralds disaster.
It would probably be better to simply allow them to become a blur of anti-aliasing, rather than showing nothing.

Item icons have easily distinguishable colors and silhouettes, and the Pokemon they're attached to will fill in any needed context. Even in that example image, I can tell Delphox has a Life Orb and Gliscor has a Poison Orb from their color. And if not by color, then by their holders.

That doesn't really work with pixel art, they just become a blur of anti-aliasing. You'd need to manually resize every item by re-spriting them, something that would take up a lot of time and effort.
In my opinion, the blur isn't a problem. When you see the Pokémon Showdown's window, it's very hard to see the blur on items.
But if someone remake the sprites with the new size of items, will be cool too.

Screenshot_55.png

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It would probably be better to simply allow them to become a blur of anti-aliasing, rather than showing nothing.
If a more vague indicator is still wanted enough, maybe we shouldn't worry about the sprites at all. A colored background rectangle behind the Pokemon would go a long way to preventing clipping and clutteredness. That would be unfortunate for our colorblind users, but it is the best I can think of for now.

This is very not-good but I hope it gets the idea across.
backgrounds.png

I think we could reasonably give distinguishable colors to all of the most popular items. Remember that the colors would be on that blue background, not on white. I included both a more and a less saturated version for each.

Choice Specs Yellow: #ffff00 ⬤ #ffff8c ⬤
Iapapa Berry Light Yellow: #ffffa1 ⬤ #ffffbf ⬤
Figy Berry Light Orange: #ffcc99 ⬤ #ffdfbf ⬤
Rocky Helmet Tangerine: #FFCC00 ⬤ #ffe066
Focus Sash Orange: #FFA500 ⬤ #ffc966 ⬤
Smooth Rock Brown just so we have a brown: #8c532a ⬤ #8c6c54 ⬤
Leftovers Taupe: #d2b48c ⬤ #d1c5b6 ⬤
Choice Band Silver: #c0c0c0 ⬤ #e6e6e6 ⬤
Expert Belt Grey: #808080 ⬤ #bababa ⬤
Heavy-Duty Boots Dark Grey: #000000 ⬤ #8c8c8c ⬤
Mental Herb Turquoise: #99ffff ⬤ #b3ffff ⬤
Choice Scarf Sky Blue: #87ceeb ⬤ #99d3eb ⬤
Eviolite Lilac: #b666d2 ⬤ #c192d1 ⬤
Wiki Berry Purple: #9629cc ⬤ #aa66cc ⬤
Life Orb Dark Purple: #800080 ⬤ #804d80
Mago Berry Rose: #ff99ab ⬤ #FFC0CB ⬤
Power Herb Pink: #bc544b ⬤ #ff8c8c ⬤
Air Balloon Burgundy: #c21e56 ⬤ #c26182 ⬤
Red Card Red: #ff0000 ⬤ #ff6666 ⬤
Assault Vest Crimson: #990000 ⬤ #995454 ⬤
Light Clay Yellow-Green: #b2ff66 ⬤ #ccff99 ⬤
Aguav Berry Moss Green: #9acd32⬤ #abcc66 ⬤
Weakness Policy Bright Green: #66FF66 ⬤ #99ff99 ⬤
Salac Berry Green: #008000 ⬤ #538053 ⬤

Individually finding codes for every single item would be a pain, so we could give most items whichever popular-item-color is closest.

Which is something I did for current-gen-listed items because I got bored.

Yellow: Charti Berry, Electric Seed, Grepa Berry, King's Rock, Muscle Band, Sharp Beak, Shuca Berry, Sitrus Berry, Star Sweet, Zoom Lens, Electric Memory, Light Ball, Power Band, Electirizer, Pinap Berry,
Light Yellow: Blunder Policy, Full Incense, Shed Shell, Soft Sand, Gold Bottle Cap, Shiny Stone,
Light Orange: Liechi Berry,
Tangerine: Flower Sweet, Ground Memory, Park Ball, Qualot Berry,
Orange: Focus Band, Leppa Berry, Wide Lens, Fighting Memory, Power Belt, Level Ball,
Brown: Fossilized Bird, Maranga Berry, Rock Incense, Rock Memory, Binding Band,
Taupe: Absorb Bulb, Berry Juice, Big Root, Chilan Berry, Lansat Berry,
Silver: Chipped Pot, Cracked Pot, Dragon Fang, Hard Stone, Lagging Tail, Normal Gem, Quick Claw, Razor Claw, Shed Shell, Silk Scarf, Silver Powder, Snowball, Twisted Spoon, White Herb, Quick Powder, Thick Club, Float Stone, Ring Target, Energy Powder, Oval Stone, Premier Ball, Rare Bone, Up-Grade,
Grey: Eject Button, Eject Pack, Grip Claw, Metal Coat, Protective Pads, Spell Tag, Sticky Barb, Terrain Extender, Metal Powder, Steel Memory, Bottle Cap, Heavy Ball, Moon Stone, Timer Ball, Ultra Ball,
Dark Grey: Black Belt, Black Glasses, Charcoal, Magnet, Utility Umbrella, Wise Glasses, Dark Memory, Rusted Shield, Rusted Sword, Iron Ball, Luxury Ball, (all TR items),
Turquoise: Cell Battery, Icy Rock, Misty Seed, Never-Melt Ice, Room Service, Scope Lens, Ice Memory, Dragon Scale, Ice Stone, Moon Ball, Prism Scale,
Sky Blue: Adrenaline Orb, Apicot Berry, Berry Sweet, Coba Berry, Damp Rock, Fossilized Drake, Kelpsy Berry, Metronome, Mystic Water, Passho Berry, Sea Incense, Throat Spray, Wave Incense, Yache Berry, Deep Sea Tooth, Dragon Memory, Flying Memory, Water Memory, Oran Berry, Power Anklet, Rawst Berry, Beast Ball, Dawn Stone, Dive Ball, Great Ball, Lure Ball, Net Ball, Quick Ball, Water Stone,
Lilac: Fossilized Dino, Ganlon Berry, Poison Barb, Psychic Seed, Dubious Disc,
Purple: Chesto Berry, Colbur Berry, Kasib Berry, Payapa Berry, Ribbon Sweet, Toxic Orb, Ghost Memory, Poison Memory, Power Lens, Master Ball,
Dark Purple: Black Sludge, Odd Incense, Bluk Berry, Dusk Stone, Reaper Cloth, Sachet,
Rose: Kee Berry, Lansat Berry, Petaya Berry, Pixie Plate, Rose Incense, Fairy Memory, Pecha Berry, Persim Berry, Dream Ball,
Pink: Heat Rock, Love Sweet, Deep Sea Scale, Psychic Memory, Heal Ball, Love Ball, Sun Stone, Whipped Dream
Burgundy:
Red: Chople Berry, Flame Orb, Occa Berry, Strawberry Sweet, Sweet Apple, Fire Memory, Cheri Berry, Destiny Knot, Power Bracer, Cherish Ball, Fast Ball, Fire Stone, Magmarizer, Poke Ball, Pomeg Berry, Repeat Ball, Sport Ball, Tamato Berry,
Crimson: Haban Berry, Roseli Berry, Safety Goggles, Protector,
Yellow-Green: Grassy Seed, Miracle Seed, Starf Berry, Wacan Berry, Leek, Aspear Berry, Hondew Berry, Nest Ball, Thunder Stone,
Moss Green: Bright Powder, Fossilized Fish, Tart Apple, Grass Memory, Macho Brace, Friend Ball,
Bright Green: Kebia Berry, Luminous Moss, Rindo Berry, Bug Memory, Power Weight,
Green: Babiri Berry, Clover Sweet, Lum Berry, Tanga Berry, Dusk Ball, Leaf Stone, Repeat Ball,

Last edited:

LouisCyphre

heralds disaster.
I think that's a lot of hoops to jump through to achieve something that's still worse and less clear than like... simply showing the item icon.

Having to squint and stare to figure out which red something is and then trying to memorize which items go in that red sounds worse than showing nothing.

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Even ignoring anti-aliasing, it's been two months, and nobody's come up with a way to display item icons that doesn't have horrible cluttered sprite clipping (excepting a mouseover, which sounds like many more hoops than a colored rectangle). And that's with the advantage of being able to place the icons manually, and not relying on automatic spacing that could make things even worse. TLDR "just showing the item" probably is not happening.

The point of the colors isn't to pin the one item out of a thousand that exist. It's to distinguish between the 2-4 items any individual Pokemon commonly runs.

"Tangrowth + item + orange" shouldn't make you think "am I running Fossilized Bird or Focus Band?", because Tangrowth doesn't run those items. It's obviously Helmet. If you don't play OU, think about what "Registeel + item + beige" or "Rayquaza + item + purple" could possibly entail. There's only one option.

Are you worried about any particular item pairings being confusing? I there a Pokemon that commonly runs both Rocky Helmet and Focus Sash? Both Light Clay and Aguav Berry? Power Herb and Air Balloon? Wiki Berry and Life Orb? Are any of the colors not obvious at a glance, in context of limtied options?

LouisCyphre

heralds disaster.
And how many times did you have to refer back to your own lists when making that response? What about users that don't live on Showdown 24/7?

"Nobody's come up with a way to display item icons that doesn't have horrible cluttered sprite clipping" isn't even true. Simply scrolling up a bit gives us Slowpoc's suggestion:
If this is your definition of "horrible clutter," then horrible clutter is the way to go. Why, I can even know that my Tapu Lele has a Choice Scarf without checking the almanac to see what color it falls under. Having to reference some kind of lookup table to know what my mon is holding defeats the entire point of showing any information at all.

dhelmise

everything is embarrassing
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
And how many times did you have to refer back to your own lists when making that response? What about users that don't live on Showdown 24/7?

"Nobody's come up with a way to display item icons that doesn't have horrible cluttered sprite clipping" isn't even true. Simply scrolling up a bit gives us Slowpoc's suggestion:

If this is your definition of "horrible clutter," then horrible clutter is the way to go. Why, I can even know that my Tapu Lele has a Choice Scarf without checking the almanac to see what color it falls under. Having to reference some kind of lookup table to know what my mon is holding defeats the entire point of showing any information at all.
I also think it's cluttered, and no, cluttered is not the way to go ever. A color assignment function isn't a good idea either, but Finland was just trying to offer a suggestion to attempt to prevent cluttering.

If it requires this being cluttered to even show anything, I personally wouldn't support this at all until the new client is finalized.

Using two colors might work. Top half and bottom half. So like Leftovers would use red and beige, Scarf blue and white, Life Orb two shades of purple. The directory argument doesn't really work since you could probably easily guess the item from context, and since the colors are being color picked directly from the sprites (and there are two of them) most items could probably be identified even without context.

That said, I don't think the shrunk icons look cluttered, and I think that's a better solution than colored backgrounds.

If a more vague indicator is still wanted enough, maybe we shouldn't worry about the sprites at all. A colored background rectangle behind the Pokemon would go a long way to preventing clipping and clutteredness. That would be unfortunate for our colorblind users, but it is the best I can think of for now.

This is very not-good but I hope it gets the idea across.
View attachment 275965

I think we could reasonably give distinguishable colors to all of the most popular items. Remember that the colors would be on that blue background, not on white. I included both a more and a less saturated version for each.

Choice Specs Yellow: #ffff00 ⬤ #ffff8c ⬤
Iapapa Berry Light Yellow: #ffffa1 ⬤ #ffffbf ⬤
Figy Berry Light Orange: #ffcc99 ⬤ #ffdfbf ⬤
Rocky Helmet Tangerine: #FFCC00 ⬤ #ffe066
Focus Sash Orange: #FFA500 ⬤ #ffc966 ⬤
Smooth Rock Brown just so we have a brown: #8c532a ⬤ #8c6c54 ⬤
Leftovers Taupe: #d2b48c ⬤ #d1c5b6 ⬤
Choice Band Silver: #c0c0c0 ⬤ #e6e6e6 ⬤
Expert Belt Grey: #808080 ⬤ #bababa ⬤
Heavy-Duty Boots Dark Grey: #000000 ⬤ #8c8c8c ⬤
Mental Herb Turquoise: #99ffff ⬤ #b3ffff ⬤
Choice Scarf Sky Blue: #87ceeb ⬤ #99d3eb ⬤
Eviolite Lilac: #b666d2 ⬤ #c192d1 ⬤
Wiki Berry Purple: #9629cc ⬤ #aa66cc ⬤
Life Orb Dark Purple: #800080 ⬤ #804d80
Mago Berry Rose: #ff99ab ⬤ #FFC0CB ⬤
Power Herb Pink: #bc544b ⬤ #ff8c8c ⬤
Air Balloon Burgundy: #c21e56 ⬤ #c26182 ⬤
Red Card Red: #ff0000 ⬤ #ff6666 ⬤
Assault Vest Crimson: #990000 ⬤ #995454 ⬤
Light Clay Yellow-Green: #b2ff66 ⬤ #ccff99 ⬤
Aguav Berry Moss Green: #9acd32⬤ #abcc66 ⬤
Weakness Policy Bright Green: #66FF66 ⬤ #99ff99 ⬤
Salac Berry Green: #008000 ⬤ #538053 ⬤

Individually finding codes for every single item would be a pain, so we could give most items whichever popular-item-color is closest.

Which is something I did for current-gen-listed items because I got bored.

Yellow: Charti Berry, Electric Seed, Grepa Berry, King's Rock, Muscle Band, Sharp Beak, Shuca Berry, Sitrus Berry, Star Sweet, Zoom Lens, Electric Memory, Light Ball, Power Band, Electirizer, Pinap Berry,
Light Yellow: Blunder Policy, Full Incense, Shed Shell, Soft Sand, Gold Bottle Cap, Shiny Stone,
Light Orange: Liechi Berry,
Tangerine: Flower Sweet, Ground Memory, Park Ball, Qualot Berry,
Orange: Focus Band, Leppa Berry, Wide Lens, Fighting Memory, Power Belt, Level Ball,
Brown: Fossilized Bird, Maranga Berry, Rock Incense, Rock Memory, Binding Band,
Taupe: Absorb Bulb, Berry Juice, Big Root, Chilan Berry, Lansat Berry,
Silver: Chipped Pot, Cracked Pot, Dragon Fang, Hard Stone, Lagging Tail, Normal Gem, Quick Claw, Razor Claw, Shed Shell, Silk Scarf, Silver Powder, Snowball, Twisted Spoon, White Herb, Quick Powder, Thick Club, Float Stone, Ring Target, Energy Powder, Oval Stone, Premier Ball, Rare Bone, Up-Grade,
Grey: Eject Button, Eject Pack, Grip Claw, Metal Coat, Protective Pads, Spell Tag, Sticky Barb, Terrain Extender, Metal Powder, Steel Memory, Bottle Cap, Heavy Ball, Moon Stone, Timer Ball, Ultra Ball,
Dark Grey: Black Belt, Black Glasses, Charcoal, Magnet, Utility Umbrella, Wise Glasses, Dark Memory, Rusted Shield, Rusted Sword, Iron Ball, Luxury Ball, (all TR items),
Turquoise: Cell Battery, Icy Rock, Misty Seed, Never-Melt Ice, Room Service, Scope Lens, Ice Memory, Dragon Scale, Ice Stone, Moon Ball, Prism Scale,
Sky Blue: Adrenaline Orb, Apicot Berry, Berry Sweet, Coba Berry, Damp Rock, Fossilized Drake, Kelpsy Berry, Metronome, Mystic Water, Passho Berry, Sea Incense, Throat Spray, Wave Incense, Yache Berry, Deep Sea Tooth, Dragon Memory, Flying Memory, Water Memory, Oran Berry, Power Anklet, Rawst Berry, Beast Ball, Dawn Stone, Dive Ball, Great Ball, Lure Ball, Net Ball, Quick Ball, Water Stone,
Lilac: Fossilized Dino, Ganlon Berry, Poison Barb, Psychic Seed, Dubious Disc,
Purple: Chesto Berry, Colbur Berry, Kasib Berry, Payapa Berry, Ribbon Sweet, Toxic Orb, Ghost Memory, Poison Memory, Power Lens, Master Ball,
Dark Purple: Black Sludge, Odd Incense, Bluk Berry, Dusk Stone, Reaper Cloth, Sachet,
Rose: Kee Berry, Lansat Berry, Petaya Berry, Pixie Plate, Rose Incense, Fairy Memory, Pecha Berry, Persim Berry, Dream Ball,
Pink: Heat Rock, Love Sweet, Deep Sea Scale, Psychic Memory, Heal Ball, Love Ball, Sun Stone, Whipped Dream
Burgundy:
Red: Chople Berry, Flame Orb, Occa Berry, Strawberry Sweet, Sweet Apple, Fire Memory, Cheri Berry, Destiny Knot, Power Bracer, Cherish Ball, Fast Ball, Fire Stone, Magmarizer, Poke Ball, Pomeg Berry, Repeat Ball, Sport Ball, Tamato Berry,
Crimson: Haban Berry, Roseli Berry, Safety Goggles, Protector,
Yellow-Green: Grassy Seed, Miracle Seed, Starf Berry, Wacan Berry, Leek, Aspear Berry, Hondew Berry, Nest Ball, Thunder Stone,
Moss Green: Bright Powder, Fossilized Fish, Tart Apple, Grass Memory, Macho Brace, Friend Ball,
Bright Green: Kebia Berry, Luminous Moss, Rindo Berry, Bug Memory, Power Weight,
Green: Babiri Berry, Clover Sweet, Lum Berry, Tanga Berry, Dusk Ball, Leaf Stone, Repeat Ball,
Something like this?
Screenshot_53.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)