Prototype/Development Diamond & Pearl Assets Leak

Things. Stuff.
There are several issues that make the lack of Fire-types so much more glaring than any other typing exclusion (tho, I agree, not to unplayable levels, tho DP do have big issues):

-Gen 1 kinda gets a pass since GF didn’t fully know what they were doing insertjokeaboutGFstillnotknowingwhatthey’redoing with type balancing; FRLG are kinda the same, since it was the first set of remakes, and GF chose recreating the originals over convenience, a lesson they slowly learned.

-Ghost, Dragon, and Ice have traditionally been rarer types restricted to later-game, while Fire has been a starter type since inception, and even beyond that has been more common than those three.

-The teams for Agatha, Clair, and Glacia still fit much more thematically than Flint’s; Agatha’s Golbat, and to a lesser extent Arbok, fit in nicely with the Ghost-types (plus they’re all Poison-type), and Clair and Glacia still have full-teams of their respective typing (besides, it’s not as if having NFEs alongside their FE stages wasn’t a thing with other Gym Leaders of those Gens). Flint on the other hand (as well as Candice and Volkner) just feels like he got a couple of Fire-types, then slapped on three random Pokémon with Fire coverage and called it a day.

Anyway, to end this on a funnier note, while people always complain how DP only had two fire type line, it also had only two ice-type lines but no one ever complains about that, which I find funny.
I think the reason no one complained is that both ice lines were available in the wild. With Fire you either have to pick Chimchar as a starter or forced to use Ponyta while has high base stats for an NFE has bad movepool and a late evolution level.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
I wish Platinum's code had leaked out just to see what typos caused Acid Rain
Post inspired me to do a bit of digging to look into old glitches, so I started looking for stuff and this one baffled me, because this dump is pre-JP release, right?

Code:
if(client_no==client_set_max){
        SkillSeqInc(sp,adrs);
    }
    //おいうち発動なら、こだわり系のチェックをする
    else{
        {
            int    eqp;
            int    atk;

eqp=ST_ServerSoubiEqpGet(sp,sp->attack_client);
            atk=ST_ServerSoubiAtkGet(sp,sp->attack_client,ATK_CHECK_NORMAL);

//装備アイテム「こだわりはちまき」は、技の発動でワークへ代入
            if((eqp==SOUBI_ONAZIWAZAONLY)||
               (eqp==SOUBI_ONAZIWAZAONLYSUBAYASAUP)||
               (eqp==SOUBI_ONAZIAWZAONLYTOKUSYUUP)){
                sp->psp[sp->attack_client].wkw.kodawari_wazano=sp->waza_no_temp;
            }
        }
    }
For those that don't remember, back in JP DP, if you had a choiced Pursuit KO, you weren't locked into Pursuit. But it looks like Game Freak was completely aware of the issue, and wrote a bit of code to fix it. It checks if Pursuit got a KO, and if it did, it then checks if you're holding a choice item (the three eqp== checks). If you are, it takes your Pokemon (attack_client) and writes Pursuit (waza_no_temp) to its Choice Lock value (kodawari_wazano), bypassing the normal Choice Lock code entirely, which I'm assuming didn't work naturally with Pursuit's unique trigger. Despite all this, it STILL doesn't work in JP DP, but I'm not really any good at debugging code so I've got no clue what in the world went wrong here to break this. Oh, and it's not the potentially-obvious misspelling of the third equip item (Choice Specs) since it's "misspelled" everywhere else in the code too.

Similarly, there's a chunk of code for U-Turn that has an item check that seems to do little or nothing, which might've been the beginning of an attempt to fix the Choice-lock U-Turn bug from DP, but one that never got anywhere.

Very humorously, there's a comment in the Mimic code next to a check related to Transform that says "I'm in trouble." After dropping the ball on that one, I'm going to agree Mr. Anonymous Programmer. Yes. Yes you are.

(Might do another round of digging later, this was pretty fun to look at.)

breh

強いだね
dex entries!

387: Munchlax P

388: Likes dry places. It sits totally still in sunny windowsills, much like a bonsai. // same first sentence as Bonsly P

389: Mime Jr. P

390: Lives in groups of around 4. Using its sharp claws, it scratches unique patterns into things like trees and boulders. // similar to Weavile P

391: Fights using its sharp fangs and spikes. It can use its opponent's aura to read its thoughts and movements. // resembles Lucario P

392: Lives in warm seas. They migrate through large territories, some with radii as large as 100 kilometers. // Mantyke, but apparently has elements of Phione.

393: Buizel P

394: A strange Pokemon that mimics its opponent's cry while waving its tail like a metronome. // resembles Chatot P

395: An extremely cautious Pokemon. It perks up its ears in the direction of sounds in order to scout its surroundings. // bears elements of both Lopunny / Buneary P

396: It releases a scent that relaxes one's emotions from the tips of both of its arms. Smelling it too much results in headaches. // resembles Roserade D

397: Its arms are made of bound vines and it can extend and contract them at will. Inhabits primordial, mossy forests. // Tangrowth

398: Using the dish on its head, it receives signals and moves around almost as if controlled. // Dusknoir

399: The group's leader is said to be decided based on tusk size. Females have smaller tusks. // Mamoswine

400: As it emits a -50 C chill, the horns on its head get longer and longer. Its body is hollow and has nothing inside. // resembles Froslass D

401: Glameow P

402: very similar to Turtwig P but with errors fixed / slight changes

403: Chimchar P

404: Piplup P but with a typo

405: Lives around clear ponds. It is overjoyed when its legs are dipped into clear water. // first sentence of Budew P

406: Usually live in herds, but tend to stand out when they are alone. An omnivore that will eat anything. // resembles Starly P

407: It has organs that make electricity through chemical reactions. It is constantly releasing electricity from the horns on its head. // Electivire

Last edited:

breh

強いだね
Looking through other files (there's a bunch of other revisions) casually, mostly just names (no full dex entries for this stuff til tomorrow):

-B-pom as Ambipom's beta name is still there (per PBR pokemon names)

-Lizargun is straight up greyed out and dummied out in the only instance it appears, what a troll

-Some Pokemon near the end of the dex called Chimairan, the Shade Pokemon: " In order to calm Kimairan's rage, [it?] has lived for 4000 years in a temple built by people." (the grammar is this awkward) Not Regigigas, which follows below, but may have given Regigigas some of its lore and possibly been turned into Giratina (not Darkrai).

-Shaymin's name is Miishie at this point, compare to final Sheimi. Even knowing this I have no idea what it's supposed to be

A new Nintendo leak referred to as a "Gigaleak" has started making the rounds. They mostly include non-pokemon titles like Super Mario, Zelda, Yoshi, and what seems to be a proto Donkey Kong/Yoshi game simply called Super Donkey. However, there are some tidbits relating to pokemon Diamond and Pearl. It is largely miscellaneous (stuff like missing grass or the wii in your room being a Game Cube - with text referencing the wii, weird?), but some important observations include:

Your Mom and Barry Sporting different designs (Berry has a bowl cut instead of anime hair and mom has brown wavy hair instead of the blue bonnet in the final game)
pokemon_6.PNG
pokemon_5.PNG

Starly made have had a slight re-design during development with the white mask on its face not extending to its eyes (conversely, the iris and pupil are reversed to better stand out). Original art included for reference.
pokemon_8.PNG
th.jpeg

Interestingly enough while the overworld sprite is different, Starly's battle sprite is the same. Also the UI is totally different. Your trainer is in the touch screen, battles ONLY take in touch inputs, and an arrow points to your pokemon (how nice of them). One more detail about Starly (and a few other pokemon later on) is that they have different names. I was unable to make out what the names mean but this is Starly's final name, ムックル. Some characters are missing or dropped all together.
pokemon_12.PNG

The menu sprites for some pokemon look jank (my favorite is tall Weavile and glossy Mime Jr.). Buneary and Glameow have a few differences. Buneary's Japanese name is called Mimitto instead of Mimirol (ミミロル) . Buneary's dex number here is 395 instead of 427. Interestingly, this would've put Buneary on the same spot that Empoleon would've occupied. Glameow is referred to as Rizumii instead of Nyarmar (ニャルマー). Glameow's dex number is 401 (same as spot as Kricketot) instead of its final 431. Glameow can learn Payday, which it cannot do in the final game.
pokemon_14-1.PNG
pokemon_13-1.PNG

Last, but not least are the gym badges. Most of them are placeholder shapes until a final design could be made, but some feature more concrete designs like a dude exercising, a berry(?) and a Question mark. Cleaning badges seems to be apart of the beta as well with how dirty they look.
pokemon_15.PNG

Huh wow these are really interesting and nea- wait a minute

A-are those Tangrowth and Mamoswine? Please... Please don't tell me the cross-gen evos were originally in the DP regional dex.
I included a link to a few sources from where this came in my original post (resetera and LombTV). Going through those posts its not made clear if there were to be more cross gens than what we got in DP. The trainer card has a few anomalies (they caught 2 pokemon despite having more in the box and started the game on 99/99/9999). Having worked with PKHEX before, you can add pokemon to a game but it won't register with the dex unless you put it into your party (no fan-fair). They changed this for Sun and Moon interestingly enough (probably after how Gen 6 was infamous for people cheating) so that could explain the 2 dex entries.. The LombTV account was responsible for decompiling the pokemon info.

Side tangent - one more detail that I forgot to include that is on Lomb's twitter is different poke ball design.
EdvAsyTWoAMkzYh.png

edit: Guessing based on the designs - the Safari ball has blues and yellows where the greens are, Net Ball is red where the blue-green is, Dive Ball has red where the blue is, Nest ball has blue where the green is. Dusk ball, Heal ball, and Quick ball are not seen here.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Huh wow these are really interesting and nea- wait a minute

A-are those Tangrowth and Mamoswine? Please... Please don't tell me the cross-gen evos were originally in the DP regional dex.
Who knows. This is a beta build so everything being seen is just there as a placeholder or to help with testing. I would say eitherway it's a stupid decision to leave them out originally, but Platinum does that for me.

The Badges are amusing that they actually went out of their way to use different shapes instead of using all circles or something. Maybe to test out the Badge cleaning on different shapes? Oddest is certainly the human shape, the berry (which unlike the others you can see the details of), and the question mark (notably that its two pieces instead of one). Not as drastic but still a bit odd is the first Badge which are two connected circles and the one in the shape of a keyhole.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
We discussed this in the Smogon Discord yesterday night and we have some other ... interesting observations that this build has presented - shoutouts doipy hooves for these:

This is a Lucario with 0 EVs/IVs and a neutral nature in the build. The stats roughly translate to:

That's a pretty bad BST, but Lucario was predominantly physical while being slightly slower. Interesting how the final makes it more Special oriented and reduces its physical bulk.

Sucker Punch has 100 Power and 10 PP... Talk about OP!

And this is in Brave Bird's slot... It's a slightly stronger Submission (and Submission is ALSO in this build). As pointed out in the posts above, recoil is broken and kinda kamikazes you lol. That said, this move even being in this build is very questionable - one has to wonder if this ended up turning into Close Combat later on!

Then there's Brine, which is very interesting. First, it has no set power. Second, it mentions the Steel-type in the description. On further revision:

Seems to be like Water Spout, but in reverse... and it also has a damage boost against Steel-types? Nothing like the Brine we got in the final that's for sure!

Other miscellaneous things:

- Move order goes up to 434, which is Draco Meteor. It has an unfinished animation and -does not- give you the SpA drop.
- Gyro Ball is Normal-typed and is Special.
- Flare Blitz has no recoil.
- Roost (and Recover too) have 20 PP.
- HMs in this build go: Rock Smash, Cut, Fly, Defog, Strength, Surf, Rock climb and Dive.
- There are 80 TMs in this build, though TMs 51-80 seem to just cycle between TMs 41-50 from Gen 3. Funnily enough, Mantyke gets TM80, which is Overheat.

There's probably more interesting stuff but that's a good glimpse!

So beta Brine dealt more damage the less HP the user had? It's incredibly odd considering that its name was not changed.

- Move order goes up to 434, which is Draco Meteor. It has an unfinished animation and -does not- give you the SpA drop.
As a matter of fact, does Draco Meteor have its actual name? IIRC the name was picked from a contest.

Brine being effective against Steel types is pretty interesting. Brine is a salt water solution, so I guess the idea is it'd wear away the metal?
Maybe they thought against it since its not like poison wears it away.

Still kind of fun they had an idea similar to Freeze Dry back then.

Going through the discord there is more weirdness to be found. In general, the build is largely unfinished. Like there are a ton of placeholders used throughout. To give you an example, fighting the gym leader bings up a match with Team Magma's Maxie in a grassy field.

The vast majority of trainers featured are carried over from gen 3 (https://imgur.com/a/4PxikXr including rivals like Wally who is a stand in for Barry). There are 2 new trainers who resemble ace trainers you find in Route 216(https://i.imgur.com/AFsRDKl.png https://i.imgur.com/XPVExeH.png).
Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 2.30.45 PM.png

Naming anything brings up this different menu

Sinnoh map is the same except the pokemon league is missing the green fly point, some of the lakes are not colored in, and no pal park fly point.
1595638712947.png

Some buildings are just blocks. The GTS and Day Care respectively
1595639516438.png
unknown.png

Beta Underground
1595641627503.png

Item menus look different with a fifth option
1595638940655.png

Aura spere might've been a proto Final Gambit (also Male Portrait)
Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 2.37.02 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 2.37.08 PM.png

Red would've judged you for your sins (and your pokemon's performance)
unknown-2.png

Electivire had the same stats as a Raichu
unknown-4.png

Chatot would've been the first flying type pokemon who was primarily flying (its usually secondary - Normal/Flying). Game freak would do this later with Noivern and Noibat 2 generations later.
unknown-1.png

Froslass was a pure ice type
Edvgk7tX0AAWgKi.png

Chancey could be found on route 201 (the first route in the game - talk about busted). Also some maps lead to random places and Byron's team.
Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 2.31.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 2.32.50 PM.png

Finally nightmare fuel
Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 2.30.57 PM.png

Attachments

Other miscellaneous things:
Funnily enough, Mantyke gets TM80, which is Overheat.

There's probably more interesting stuff but that's a good glimpse!
To clarify, everything seems to get every TM in this build. I'll make a larger post later but for now I'll answer some thread stuff.

So beta Brine dealt more damage the less HP the user had? It's incredibly odd considering that its name was not changed.

As a matter of fact, does Draco Meteor have its actual name? IIRC the name was picked from a contest.
Brine deals more damage the less HP the opponent has, and Draco Meteor seems to have the same name as seen in Lucario's moveset.

Side tangent - one more detail that I forgot to include that is on Lomb's twitter is different poke ball design.

edit: Guessing based on the designs - the Safari ball has blues and yellows where the greens are, Net Ball is red where the blue-green is, Dive Ball has red where the blue is, Nest ball has blue where the green is. Dusk ball, Heal ball, and Quick ball are not seen here.
Pokeballs appear with fine palettes ingame.

Last, but not least are the gym badges. Most of them are placeholder shapes until a final design could be made, but some feature more concrete designs like a dude exercising, a berry(?) and a Question mark. Cleaning badges seems to be apart of the beta as well with how dirty they look.View attachment 264106
The 'berry' could be Jill from Drill Dozer.

Some debug notes:
R+Start to get in
1st section = debug info
2nd = changing time
3rd = warps
5th = add mons/items
2nd from last = menu
  1. Random screen transitions go on for a while
  2. Dress up a random pokemon
  3. Freezes for a bit, full pokedex
  4. says something about 3D
  5. opens starter briefcase
  6. Turns on a debug menu on the bottom screen that has something to do with time of day palettes. L and R to go through presets?
  7. Similar debug menu about Fog?
  8. Weather menu
  9. Weather part 2
The 6th from bottom option opens a menu. 1st option opens the PC, 2nd activates Poketch with all the apps.

EDIT:
Aura spere might've been a proto Final Gambit (also Male Portrait)
Aura Sphere is the same; the one that kills you is the Fighting move in Brave Bird's slot, because recoil seems to go off total damage rather than stopping at the actual HP dealt.

-
Start is the menu key instead of X (though X lets you select menu options), and you have to use the touchscreen to battle.
You have to press down to navigate through your party in the PC. Down and Right go through the same order in the party menu.

Last edited:
Hard to make out, but the poked sported a different design. Clicking it does nothing. Also the bottom screen seems to be another way to access stuff like your bag, pokemon, or trainer card.
Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 3.36.42 PM.png

final design
726px-DP_Pokédex.png

Starly originally had base 85 speed (instead of 60 in the final game)
Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 3.36.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 3.45.36 PM.png

Budew was weaker (albeit for a stronger special attack) in the proto than in the final game
Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 3.37.02 PM.png

proto
proto.png

final
final.png

Petal dance was lowered to based 70
Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 3.37.42 PM.png

Squirtle was used as a base for piplup (right down to the same moves)
unknown.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)