Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

Lily

wouldn't that be fine, dear
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
adding on to what oath said, here are the cores threads for some other tiers:

OU (somewhat outdated)
UU
RU doesn't have one :(
NU doesn't either, but it has something - NU Archetype Cores!
PU
LC (tiny bit dated)
Nothing for Monotype, but due to the nature of the tier, the viability rankings should suffice.
National Dex OU (tiny bit dated)

Other metagames like ZU and 1v1 unfortunately do not have anything, but I hope this helps you find the one you're looking for!

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
View attachment 274001
What are the last two buttons for?
Server Registration is detailed here: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...-contacting-upper-staff.3538721/#post-6227638 Its for users who know how to program and host their own pokemon showdown server and want it registered with us. I will make this clear now as well: We do not host servers for you, don't ask.

The Tournament Discord Moderator Application form is no longer used iirc, but it was used to see who was interested in joining the moderation team for the tournament's discord server.

Hello everyone. Brand new to smogon. Apologies if this is the incorrect place to post. Looking for assistance in getting started. Been playing wifi battles for a few months now and looking to improve my game.

Light Sanctity

The Usurper
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Hello everyone. Brand new to smogon. Apologies if this is the incorrect place to post. Looking for assistance in getting started. Been playing wifi battles for a few months now and looking to improve my game.
This is okay and welcome! Is there a particular format you are interested in. I would suggest joining the official Discord server as it has many users who can help you out or point you to a different Discord. official server
*shame less edit haha

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
Is it intentional that unbadged users can't open files in PR? it's especially annoying cause u can't open images to see the high quality versions.

This is the highest quality you can get without a badge:

Lily

wouldn't that be fine, dear
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
Is it intentional that unbadged users can't open files in PR? it's especially annoying cause u can't open images to see the high quality versions.

This is the highest quality you can get without a badge:
I just took this screenshot while not actually being logged into the site (i.e. unbadged) and the quality was fine.

Are you sure your browser's not acting up? Maybe try clearing cache/cookies etc and see if that works?

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
I just took this screenshot while not actually being logged into the site (i.e. unbadged) and the quality was fine.

Are you sure your browser's not acting up? Maybe try clearing cache/cookies etc and see if that works?
I think its actually a mobile issue. Went on desktop and was able to see hq thumbnails and zoom in and stuff. Whereas on mobile in PR I'm unable to see the high quality versions of images - this goes for other threads too in that forum.

However, in other forums where I lack posting privileges like smogons greatest hits, I'm still able to view full quality images on mobile and click on pics and stuff without getting a permissions error.

Might be an issue with the forum software, idk.

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
I think its actually a mobile issue. Went on desktop and was able to see hq thumbnails and zoom in and stuff. Whereas on mobile in PR I'm unable to see the high quality versions of images - this goes for other threads too in that forum.

However, in other forums where I lack posting privileges like smogons greatest hits, I'm still able to view full quality images on mobile and click on pics and stuff without getting a permissions error.

Might be an issue with the forum software, idk.
It was an issue with how the permissions were set up for non-badged members, should hopefully be fixed now.
Why can't I ever get a smogon bracket link to open? It always gets stuck on loading. I never got one to load in the past either.

https://www.smogon.com/bracketmaker/view/3142/
I believe you need badged access to be able to view and use those.

So a bracket maker should show matchups and future matchups (winner of this match vs winner of this match) right? Doesn't that mean badged users are at a slight advantage because they can see future matchups and prep before hand? Or does it not work like that?

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
So a bracket maker should show matchups and future matchups (winner of this match vs winner of this match) right? Doesn't that mean badged users are at a slight advantage because they can see future matchups and prep before hand? Or does it not work like that?
The bracketmaker is only really used to easily create and run tournament brackets which are then posted on the forums, pretty sure it's only linked so that the pairings can be verified to be unmodified. The overall tournament bracket is prob something you can calculate yourself if you know how a double elimination tournament works, which I don't really.

Boat

fuck nintendo
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
To go into a bit more detail, the bracketmaker only generates matches one round at a time. Each round, the pairings are totally randomized. In truth, it's really not a bracketmaker in the same way bracketmakers like Challonge or Smash.gg are, as Smogon chooses not to seed their brackets. While badged users can see the generated brackets, hosts usually generate the bracket literal minutes before posting the round, so the advantage there is pretty nonexistent.

Hello. I was trying out a team on OU with Cinderace. However, I just noticed that Cinderace is actually being suspect tested. Am I still allowed to to use Cinderace in regular OU battle (even if I don't participate in the suspect testing)? Sorry, I'm an inexperienced player and don't know whether suspect pokemons are allowed for players not participating in the testing or not. (I saw the post and it says I need a completely new account to participate - but I have already played 10+ matches without Cinderace and then played a few matches with Cinderace before noticing the rules regarding suspect testing.)

Kalalokki

Sprite Leader
Hello. I was trying out a team on OU with Cinderace. However, I just noticed that Cinderace is actually being suspect tested. Am I still allowed to to use Cinderace in regular OU battle (even if I don't participate in the suspect testing)? Sorry, I'm an inexperienced player and don't know whether suspect pokemons are allowed for players not participating in the testing or not. (I saw the post and it says I need a completely new account to participate - but I have already played 10+ matches without Cinderace and then played a few matches with Cinderace before noticing the rules regarding suspect testing.)
You can play with Cinderace on the ladder during this suspect test without trying to qualify for voting requirements, you're free to just continue on as normal. The fresh account starting with "OUTI" is only relevant if you do want to qualify for reqs.

Hello, I created this account several years ago and I have not used it since. As my email address and date of birth are associated with it, I'd like to delete this account (or "close" it), but the "contact us" link in the Help > Terms and rules section redirects to the same page. Who can I talk to about closing my account, or at least replacing my personal data with dummy data?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 4)