Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

So it's possible we'll have to use rental mons to fight the legendaries AND we won't be able to know in advance which one AND we might have to deal with bad catch rates.

Is it just me or does that sound like a massive pain in the ass? Especially if they are indeed repeatable since basically the only way you could get a specific legendary in the Ultra Wormholes was by process of elimination.
It may, but in the end, we're "paying" the price by having infinite availability over the single chance of previous games.

Sounds like a worthy trade off to me, expecially if (hopefully) the boss at the end is a guaranteed catch.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Well that didn't reveal as much as I was expecting. At least we now know what Galarian Slowking looks like, which is to be expected, and it looks pretty funny lmao. It's a Poison/Psychic type, but unlike Galarian Slowbro, it's seemingly optimized for Doubles with its ability Curious Medicine, as well as Eerie Spell reducing PP which is also defensively based.

The Galarian Star Tournament looks really great, and I'm glad to see Klara and Avery make it in. Maybe Peony and his daughter will be in too?

I am surprised (and a bit disappointed) that they didn't reveal anything about Calyrex though. Maybe stuff about that is being kept secret? I would've loved to learn more about it, like a signature move and all.

Anyway, I'm glad to see it's coming on October 22 and that's sooner than I expected. The fact that they now have "complete" editions of SwSh being sold as of November should be good for people who want the full game with DLC but don't want to pay a full $90 for the game+DLC. Now this is truly akin to SwSh+DLC being treated as a third version-esque release if you ask me lol.

That's kind of all I can really say on this, still looking forward to Crown Tundra as it's honestly pretty dope, and will be the meat of the DLC if you ask me.

https://swordshield.pokemon.com/en-us/expansionpass/pokemon/galarian-slowking/

Can we appreciate how in the screenshot showcasing the ability, they're once more reminding us that they really hate the Intimidate spam of VGC?
I deeply appreciate that whenever there’s a proposed balance problem, Game Freak’s solution is “here’s One pokemon with a new ability to counter it. The pokemon is otherwise very average so you probably won’t use it”. It’s so quaint.

"Some Legendary Pokémon appear only in Pokémon Sword with the Pokémon Sword Expansion Pass, while others appear only in Pokémon Shield with the Pokémon Shield Expansion Pass."

Not surprising but worth noting.
This is what I’m expecting for Sword: Ho-oh, Groudon, Latios, Dialga, Reshiram, Xerneas, Tornadus, and Solgaleo.

For Shield: Lugia, Kyogre, Palkia, Latias, Zekrom, Yveltal, Thundurus, and Lunala.

I’ve noticed that they like to keep version exclusives consistent among paired versions; For example Shield has Lotad line and Lunatone, originally from Sapphire, while Sword has Seedot line and Solrock and Ruby. Similarly Sword has the Swirlix, Pinsir, Clauncher lines, which were only found in X, while Shield has Spritzee, Heracross, and Skrelp lines, which are only found in Y.

I deeply appreciate that whenever there’s a proposed balance problem, Game Freak’s solution is “here’s One pokemon with a new ability to counter it. The pokemon is otherwise very average so you probably won’t use it”. It’s so quaint.
It is nice that Inner Focus, Scrappy, Oblivious, & Own Tempo all ignore Intimidate, at least.
I mean I dont think a lot of pokemon use those abilities but, you know. Nice!

I deeply appreciate that whenever there’s a proposed balance problem, Game Freak’s solutiom is “here’s One pokemon with a new ability to counter it. The pokemon is otherwise very average so you probably won’t use it”. It’s so quaint.
Well yeh, but in reality something they've been doing lately is
"Something is problematic, we'll nerf him in at least 7 different ways just to make sure it dies"

Remember Smogonbirb? Not only they nerfed Gale Wings, they also added a bunch of priority negating effects on top of a priority rock move.
Dark Void? Reduced accuracy, limited to Darkrai AND terrains that negate status.

...Intimidate? Bunch of abilities were changed to negate it (without the text even showing it), one of this gen legendaryes flat out ignores it with its signature move, and now we get a Pokemon with an ability that just removes the drops on top of it.

I was just pointing how when they want to nerf something, they won't go in a single way, they'll beat it until it's finally dead :P

Well yeh, but in reality something they've been doing lately is
"Something is problematic, we'll nerf him in at least 7 different ways just to make sure it dies"

Remember Smogonbirb? Not only they nerfed Gale Wings, they also added a bunch of priority negating effects on top of a priority rock move.
Dark Void? Reduced accuracy, limited to Darkrai AND terrains that negate status.

...Intimidate? Bunch of abilities were changed to negate it (without the text even showing it), one of this gen legendaryes flat out ignores it with its signature move, and now we get a Pokemon with an ability that just removes the drops on top of it.

I was just pointing how when they want to nerf something, they won't go in a single way, they'll beat it until it's finally dead :P
I am genuinely, intensely curious if they also decide to nerf Landorus (or at least Lando-T) directly.

People have been complaining about that thing for years in VGC, and I am pretty (??) sure on like both sides of the pacific. Unless it dropped off the face of the earth in gen 7....I'll admit I didnt watch a lot of VGC for gen 7, so maybe I'm stuck in the past.

e: STill, I would also apply that to the Tapu in some fashion. Seeing Aegislash get nerfed just makes me think more towards the big boys coming in the pipeline, in general

:D

it's time time for everybody's favorite game!

LET'S

SOURCE

OUR

STATEMENTS

The release of the DLC content increased the sales of the base games
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...lc_causes_notable_spike_in_base_game_sales_uk

DLC in itself is about increasing the yield of ‘long tail’ of sales, and for post-launch players who are reminded of the game during times in which they have no other things to play
https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Sim...97/The_surprising_way_that_paid_DLC_works.php

ergo when the DLC is released matters since it encourages people that didn't pick the games the first time they were released to do so now
obviosly this only applies to those that had something else to play when Pokemon S&S (and the Isle of Armor DLC) where released but don't right now, hence the issue of timing, there's plenty of people who might pick up Pokemon if and only if there are no other big releases around to grab their attention
(there used to be a source here but I didn't like it, so consider this basic logic derived from the previous two sources)
Thank you for this, after all it isn't that far fetched to say that I would not be playing Crown Tundra if it realeased the same day that Cyberpunk is delivered to my door...

A quick, hot-headed two cents:

1) upgraded Raid interface: thank God.

2) Slowking: eeeh, does the ability also work on itself? I can see it having some sort of utility on that front, otherwise Regenerator will still be the must go-to in singles. PP draining w/Regen might also work on 5/8 PP moves since Slowking is decently bulky. Interesting concept, let's see how it works.

3) 2v2 cup: if even this isn't level scaled, it risks becoming stale extremely fast.

4) Go compatibility: I'm interested in one thing, and one thing alone. Would any Go player be so kind to let us know if there is a way to get Melmetal with the process they described extremely fast and then sink Go into the App Store graveyard?

In that case, they should just remove intimidate from the game.
That's not the GameFreaks way :mad:

To be honest, even if it's a bit of a meme at this point, I do appreciate that when they spot something troublesome in VGC, they try to address it.

So far they somewhat addressed Talonflame, Dark Void, Gengar was nerfed (possibly due to Mega Gengar being a somewhat oppressive mega to play around) and so was Mega Kanga, they did actually nerf terrains in gen 8 (likely because Dynamax sets them), and they have addressed Intimidate in multiple ways.

They are at least trying, somewhat successfully, which is fine in my book.

I am genuinely, intensely curious if they also decide to nerf Landorus (or at least Lando-T) directly.

People have been complaining about that thing for years in VGC, and I am pretty (??) sure on like both sides of the pacific. Unless it dropped off the face of the earth in gen 7....I'll admit I didnt watch a lot of VGC for gen 7, so maybe I'm stuck in the past.
Well, the little we know is that it lost Hidden Power and Knock Off isn't going to be legal (since it's a Tutor). Lando-T already has a pretty limited moveset, and this does add to the problem.
Also, Fly isn't going to be available either, so no Max Airstream to buff its own speed.

On side note, this is the first time the Incarnates with HA will be available for competitive in... in... basically since gen 5? I'm curious to see if they'll actually be used.

4) Go compatibility: I'm interested in one thing, and one thing alone. Would any Go player be so kind to let us know if there is a way to get Melmetal with the process they described extremely fast and then sink Go into the App Store graveyard?
By the wording, all it takes is a single pokemon sent from Go to Home to obtain an actual Gigamax Melmetal gift.

I’m wondering if Slowking will mirror Slowbro’s stats or be a defensive counterpart since it’s design and description seems more oriented in that way. Personally I’m hoping for the latter since the mixed attack spread did nothing for GBro.

I’m not an expert on competitive but will the new ability be viable? A built in haze seems nice in singles but regenerator is such a GOAT ability.

The announcement of a complete (or so to say) edition with DLC included was the bare minimum I was expecting since the DLCs were announced. I hope the price is lower, though...

And I guess I would only do Dynamax Adventure for the Galarian birds and then forget about it completely. I expect it to be doable with only AI trainers.

And once again here we go with forced painful choices instead of a good mechanic.

So here we go in a marathon fighting legendaries and we won't be able to use our mons, just rental ones, so let's choose

Hmm special Flareon, Spark + 2 turn attack on Charjabug (while not a fully evolved mon) and the only choice that actually works.

How exactly will we take down on legendaries with exhausted subpar mons/sets?
I really hope it isn't as frustrating as watching Solrock cosmic killing our sanity away or trying to kill 10 attacks per turn boosting Mewtwos.

I’m not an expert on competitive but will the new ability be viable? A built in haze seems nice in singles but regenerator is such a GOAT ability.
Depends interely on Slowking's stats.

Galar-Weezing is a viable pokemon in competitive due to both it being usable and its ability being actually useful in some matchups.
If Galar Slowking has solid stats, it will be a solid anti-intimidater.

Well, the little we know is that it lost Hidden Power and Knock Off isn't going to be legal (since it's a Tutor). Lando-T already has a pretty limited moveset, and this does add to the problem.
Also, Fly isn't going to be available either, so no Max Airstream to buff its own speed.
Interesting, interesting. Also hilarious that its only flying move was fly.
On side note, this is the first time the Incarnates with HA will be available for competitive in... in... basically since gen 5? I'm curious to see if they'll actually be used.
And I know we celebrated in the datamines already but, congratulations to Heatran for finally getting access to a Hidden Ability!

Go compatibility: I'm interested in one thing, and one thing alone. Would any Go player be so kind to let us know if there is a way to get Melmetal with the process they described extremely fast and then sink Go into the App Store graveyard?
Last year around October I got an iphone from a relative’s friend who didn’t need it anymore. While I don’t like apple this was extremely convenient for me as I was needing a new phone anyway, and I wanted GO to get Meltan so I downloaded it. Even Covid didn’t really slow this down as I’m an essential worker so I get to use Poke Stops, Gyms etc on my commute. Even better, I had itunes cards as birthday/Christmas gifts from a year or so back; and given I didn’t intend to use them on anything else nor could I find anyone willing to buy them off me, I could very happily use them on GO to get me some advantages.

It’s been about a year now and I’m still on page 7/9 of this fucking meltan mission

I noticed they confirmed Kantonian legendary birds too. Unsurprising but nice.

I'll be super disappointed if they aren't doing anything special with Regigigas, given the obvious opportunity.
PLEASE GIVE THE REGIS DECENT HIDDEN ABILITIES. And c'mon, give Regice Recover and Regirock Shore Up (and Registeel...Pain Split I guess, hey MAWILE gets it).

Snow Warning, Sand Stream, uhhhhh Filter I guess, and I dunno, Unaware or something for Regigigas.

...Fly is still a TM?
I'm stupid, please ignore me :psycry:

I'll be super disappointed if they aren't doing anything special with Regigigas, given the obvious opportunity.
I'm still expecting either a late-reveal Galarian form, or Gigamax for it.

Also, TECNICALLY galar-weezing is a thing...

And I know we celebrated in the datamines already but, congratulations to Heatran for finally getting access to a Hidden Ability!
To be fair I would laugh my ass off if someone pulls off random surprise wins with Flame Body procs.

Considering the most popular intimidate user is incineroar, no.
Don't forget the Slow bros have access to water moves. They aren't exactly walled by it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)