Little things you like about Pokémon

Frigid Sea i ngeneral is really nice. No sharpedos, the Avalugg are just cruising around the waters naturally, the spheal are rolling all over the place, you go up on that little island and find MORE spheal and some sealeos just chilling as a walrein hangs out in the middle. Good vibes.
And for those of us with Shield there are Eiscue bobbing up and down in the water too!

I was thinking back to my playthrough of Ultra Sun and I remembered that there's a fun double meaning with Necrozma's title.

If you're already familiar with Necrozma from Sun and Moon before playing USUM, you think that it's called "the Blinding One" because it covers worlds in darkness by devouring light. But you find out later that it's called that for the exact opposite reason, in that it "blinds" by being very bright, which helps keep Ultra Necrozma's existence a surprise for first time players. This double meaning doesn't exist in Japanese (where Necrozma is called "the Radiant One" as Bulbapedia puts it), so it's a clever change even if I'm not sure if it was intentional on part of the localizers.

Last edited:

Bull Of Heaven

99 Pounders / 4'3" Feet
is a Pre-Contributor
I admittedly had a bit of a "what, that's it?" kind of feeling after I finished the main story, but after a few days to digest it I actually like The Crown Tundra quite a bit.

• I mentioned before that I was looking forward to the snowy scenery, and it's held up.
  • Not sure it delivered on the "exploration" theme, but I was relieved that there wasn't a lot of wandering around and wondering where to go or what to do. YMMV on that.
  • All of the new legendaries have cool designs. Regieleki and Regidrago might feel kind of "pointless," in the sense that I don't really get why they exist, but they're still cool. Calyrex looks majestic on either of its horses.
  • Speaking of the horses, they're not the most interesting designs, but I liked Glastrier as soon as I saw it. It's not often that I turn down a fast Ghost-type special attacker and pick the option that isn't that.
  • Calyrex's story wasn't remotely what I expected, and I kind of have mixed feelings, but it's definitely an interesting new take on a legendary Pokemon, so full credit for that.
  • On that note, Calyrex and Peony are more comedic characters than I expected, but it's hard to complain because they're funny.
  • I love all three of the Galarian legendary birds. They're my favourite "new Pokemon" here for sure.
  • The new take on roaming legendaries is kind of fun, and not nearly as annoying as the old approach. My groan when I heard that they "roaming" was premature. Moltres is kind of annoying to catch, but it's not horrible.
  • Haven't managed to get Keldeo yet (I'm missing ~4 Virizion tracks), but I like that they're occasionally demythifying some of the old mythicals.
  • Dynamax Adventures are fun so far.
  • Because Dynamax Adventures are fun so far, and there are so many legendaries/UBs to catch, collecting Dynite Ore is so far not a hassle.
  • There's also the thing someone else already said about seeing fossil Pokemon in the wild.

I was prepared to make this gen the one where I didn't let my completionist streak take hold of me in regards to all the returning legends. Going after all of them in ORAS, USUM etc. was a chore and frustrating and I decided that this time, no, I don't need to feel compelled to get em all just because they're there.

But max raid adventures have turned out so fun I'm actually enjoying it and want to do it

Not really? The OG kanto bird shinies are just darker versions of the originals, like Zapdos is darker yellow but not orange like galar zapdos
Articuno isn't even darker, its lighter. A far cry from the purple galarian version

Moltres is pink

---------------------
Almost forgot, here was the image they put out for Tundra's release, by Demizu Posuka

Very different from the others, I like it. All the little rookidees on the path are very cute.

After reading a bit of quest text I have to appreciate the "language puns" the 3 Galar birds design are based on.

Galar Articuno is a psychic type with a "cold as hell" stare, hence why his psychic signature move freezes.
Galar Moltres is a aggressive dark type burning with ... do I really have to explain this one? lol
And finally Galar Zapdos being based on a roadrunner is "sparkingly fast", very reminiscent of the good old roadrunner cartoon generating sparks while running.
I don’t get it. What is Galarian Moltres representing?

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Has probably already been mentioned somewhere, but I much preferred an event opening up a battle with Mythical Pokemon rather than just receiving them as a gift. e.g Celebi in Crystal, Mew in Emerald, Deoxys in FR/LG/Emerald, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus and Victini. (Manaphy of course makes sense not to battle because of its egg origins). Anyway was just a lot more satisfying and above all, fun for me than simply: here you go have this Pokemon.

Has probably already been mentioned somewhere, but I much preferred an event opening up a battle with Mythical Pokemon rather than just receiving them as a gift. e.g Celebi in Crystal, Mew in Emerald, Deoxys in FR/LG/Emerald, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus and Victini. (Manaphy of course makes sense not to battle because of its egg origins). Anyway was just a lot more satisfying and above all, fun for me than simply: here you go have this Pokemon.
On the flipside of this, I love what they did with Deoxys in ORAS and Keldeo in Crown Tundra - making Mythical Pokemon catchable ingame after completing a quest!

I think someone's already brought up how the regi chambers have statues in them based on the same ones used in gen 4, but there were 2 other things I thought neat baout the chambers
1. The music that plays in them is, I believe, a new remix of the undersea chambers in RSE (might be a port of ORAS' chamber music tho, not 100% sure)
2. When you engage in the battle, it uses the wild shaky screen effect used by gen 4's legendary pokemon

The battle opening effect was not one I expected to be nostalgic for, but here I am.

So Peony's name definitely has additional meaning. Peonies in the Language of Flowers represent shame or bashfulness while representing masculinity with a carefree attitude without regard to consequences in Japanese flower motifs. My favorite trivia bite is that Peonies have a nickname that sums up Peony pretty well.
A rose without thorns
The nickname fits him a lot but there is not a single ounce of shame in Peony's personality lmao

Peonia wishes he had shame

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I was thinking about Peony stepping down as champion and leaving the league once Rose became chairman. Everything else about him is shameless.
I don't think that has anything to do with shame. Peony hates it that for most of his life he was compared to Rose which was considered more talented. He then finally became Champion which was something his brother couldn't, maybe having been the one to beat Rose, but then Rose one-ups him again by becoming Chairman of the League. Not wanting Rose to be the boss of him, he quits being Champion.

It makes me wonder if Peony's overbearing focus on Peonia has to do with Peony finally having something which Rose doesn't have (as far as we know): a family.

I don't think that has anything to do with shame. Peony hates it that for most of his life he was compared to Rose which was considered more talented. He then finally became Champion which was something his brother couldn't, maybe having been the one to beat Rose, but then Rose one-ups him again by becoming Chairman of the League. Not wanting Rose to be the boss of him, he quits being Champion.

It makes me wonder if Peony's overbearing focus on Peonia has to do with Peony finally having something which Rose doesn't have (as far as we know): a family.
There could also be another aspect to it -- if he feels he was ignored all his life and overshadowed by someone else... he may want to shower his daughter with attention so that she always knows there's someone in her corner cheering for her. It's not too uncommon with parenting -- newer parents recognising the mistakes of their own that led to problems they had, leading to them being a lot more hands on with their own kids. Just that, as Peony learns, they should sometimes loosen their grip a bit too.

I like these characters.

I love how every Unown has its own physicality and way of moving. They could easily just do what they did in Emerald and just have them all float around in the exact same way, but they avoid that in most instances. My favorite is X in the 3D games. It looks like it has little arms and legs.

EDIT: God damn it, Bulbapedia. Why do your images always break? I usually try to avoid linking to your images directly (by downloading and attaching them instead) to avoid this very issue, but for some fucking reason all your animated images are some png witchcraft that won't be animated if you download it.

Last edited:

I love how every Unown has its own physicality and way of moving. They could easily just do what they did in Emerald and just have them all float around in the exact same way, but they avoid that in most instances. My favorite is X in the 3D games. It looks like it has little arms and legs.

EDIT: God damn it, Bulbapedia. Why do your images always break? I usually try to avoid linking to your images directly (by downloading and attaching them instead) to avoid this very issue, but for some fucking reason all your animated images are some png witchcraft that won't be animated if you download it.

This one seems to work for me. It looks like you're grabbing them off the archive, while I grab off the main page, maybe that's why?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 3)