Which Pokemon were never version mascots, but should have been?

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Back when Diamond and Pearl had just been released, I remember talk turning to the inevitable third game - and what the mascot would be. Surprising as it might be now with hindsight, the fandom was not convinced that the third game mascot would be Giratina. Some people thought it would be Cresselia; others thought it would be Darkrai. Some suggested Heatran or Regigigas; and there were even some who were convinced it would be Mesprit (no, seriously).

I can kind of see why people might have had different ideas about this. Sinnoh has a large amount of legendaries, most with fairly interesting lore. While most get decent fleshing out via in-game text and gameplay, that's actually a rarity in the series - a lot of legendary Pokemon don't get the screentime or attention they deserve. Anyone who's been reading the Gen 7 leaks thread will have seen how Magearna, Marshadow, and Zeraora are labelled internally as "mythical 2016", "mythical 2017", and "mythical 2018" respectively, which seems to confirm a lot of fans' feelings that these Pokemon were created to sell movie tickets first and be interesting mythical Pokemon second. But there are a lot of legendary Pokemon which could do with some more time in the spotlight - do you think any of them were interesting enough to headline a game?

The obvious candidate, of course, is Zygarde. We were all expecting it to get its own game - whether two alternate forms ala Kyurem and Necrozma or a single upgraded form for a solitary third version. Much has been written about how Zygarde missed out on being a game mascot. But I'd nominate Latias and Latios as Pokemon worthy of headlining their own pair of games. The original Hoenn titles spectacularly undersell them as legendaries - even ORAS doesn't really elaborate on why exactly they're so special beyond "they're rare psychic dragons, get with it". It's only the movies that really go into why these Pokemon are considered legendary at all, and I feel like there's a lot more to know about them. I have a few other candidates, but I'll hold back and see if anyone else mentions them first.

This isn't just limited to legendary Pokemon: I remember seeing the advert for Ruby and Sapphire back in the day and wondering whether Groudon and Kyogre were legendaries or the final forms of the starters (and hoping they weren't because I wasn't crazy about either design). If there are non-legendary Pokemon interesting enough to headline a game(s), make your case for them below. Finally, are there any Pokemon you think *shouldn't* have headlined a game?

Last edited:
People talk about Sinnoh remakes all the time. Imagine (even though it's unlikely) if we got Cresselia and Darkrai as the mascot for those remakes. The two I feel is one of the best legendary/mythical duos ever produced. Of course in such a scenario, it wouldn't just be 'remakes' but rather a completely different story centred around the Sinnoh region.
Now, picture a hypothetical world where the legendaries of Gold and Silver (Ho-oh and Lugia) were somehow not made version mascots. I While the two have virtually nothing in common (so they definitely won't work as a duo), I like to think that as regular mons, Ampharos and Skarmory could have been the version mascots. I do agree that Latias and Latios would have been interesting to see as version mascots.

QuentinQuonce

iirc, Entei was going to have a special set battle in GS but had it scrapped. If it had happened, I wonder if Crystal's mascot would've been Entei?
I can't find the relevant quote but I'm sure there was a leak from the development process or perhaps an interview with the creators where it was discussed why specifically Suicune was chosen as opposed to Raikou or Entei. I'm pretty sure it has to do with Lugia not being created until fairly late.

People talk about Sinnoh remakes all the time. Imagine (even though it's unlikely) if we got Cresselia and Darkrai as the mascot for those remakes. The two I feel is one of the best legendary/mythical duos ever produced. Of course in such a scenario, it wouldn't just be 'remakes' but rather a completely different story centred around the Sinnoh region.
Nothing wrong with that. I'd welcome an entirely new game that revisited one of the older regions (that's a completely new story and not a remake).

QuentinQuonce

It seems like Eternatus won't be getting a game to become a mascot of. Urshifu and Calyrex even became co-mascots with the Wolf Heroes with the re-release of Sword & Shield with the DLC included.
That is a pity, as it's another one I'd like to know more about.

I'll throw in another for consideration: Jirachi. It's a mythical rather than a legendary, but the games have been extremely shy with giving it any attention. Pre-Gen V mythicals have all had at least one place they can be caught - Mew on Faraway Island, Celebi in Ilex Forest, Deoxys on Birth Island or at the Sky Pillar, Shaymin at the Flower Paradise, Darkrai at Newmoon Island, and Arceus at the Hall of Origin - except, oddly, for Jirachi, which has never been catchable in any main series game. It goes completely unmentioned in the main series as far as I can remember. Spin-off games may have fleshed it out some more (though I can't think of one that has) but I'd be completely down for a game that gave Jirachi some proper focus.

Last edited:

I'll throw in another for consideration: Jirachi. It's a mythical rather than a legendary, but the games have been extremely shy with giving it any attention. Pre-Gen V mythicals have all had at least one place they can be caught - Mew on Faraway Island, Celebi in Ilex Forest, Deoxys on Birth Island or at the Sky Pillar, Shaymin at the Flower Paradise, Darkrai at Newmoon Island, and Arceus at the Hall of Origin - except, oddly, for Jirachi, which has never been catchable in any main series game. It goes completely unmentioned in the main series as far as I can remember. Spin-off games may have fleshed it out some more (though I can't think of one that has) but I'd be completely down for a game that gave Jirachi some proper focus.
The only game that immediately comes to my mind is Pokemon Channel, and that's just sad.
Aside from Tanabata events, it seems like Jirachi is completely neglected. :<

I think that Salamance and Metagross might have been mascots for R/S if cover legendaries were not the trend. No other generation has 2 pseudo-legendary pokemon in it, and those two would be nice fits as a mascot. I always thought it was odd that Mewtwo never was a version mascot as well, it's iconic and would fit a third version mascot for a Kanto game. I still think that Celebi should have been the mascot of Crystal, could have Eusine search for Celebi instead. I always found it odd that Suicune got to be mascot with additional lore when it's still part of a trio and the other two don't get as much screentime / lore.

QuentinQuonce

I think that Salamance and Metagross might have been mascots for R/S if cover legendaries were not the trend. No other generation has 2 pseudo-legendary pokemon in it, and those two would be nice fits as a mascot.
I like this idea. They match each other so well.

I always thought it was odd that Mewtwo never was a version mascot as well, it's iconic and would fit a third version mascot for a Kanto game. I still think that Celebi should have been the mascot of Crystal, could have Eusine search for Celebi instead. I always found it odd that Suicune got to be mascot with additional lore when it's still part of a trio and the other two don't get as much screentime / lore.
Suicune's such an oddity. Crystal was my first game and I love it, but so much of the lore is frustratingly vague. The intro implies some sort of link between Suicune and the Unown, but none emerges, and the Wise Trio mention that Suicune is the closest of the three beasts to Ho-Oh, yet we're not told precisely why that is.

Celebi is quite underserved by the main series games, too, though HGSS fleshed it out a little. Colosseum is ironically probably the game that gives Celebi the best representation and it barely appears in that.

The Legendary Dragon which is the fusion of Zekrom and Reshiram (and perhaps Kyurem?)
I was hoping for a Black and White 3 to be honest, but if the complete form of the dragons where to get a game, how do you sell two? Naming it Pokemon Grey at that point would also be weird.
At least Game Freak has many possibilities for what they can do when they revisit Gen 5.
To me that doesn't strike me as a generation you can "remake". Maybe we could get something of an inbetween of BW and BW2 where you can start like in BW and then can go to areas from BW2 during post game and meet the new Gymleaders before they become Gymleaders.
Whoops, I think I went a bit off topic here.

Also anyone else hoping for Pokemon WaterBlue? Well, obviously not now after visiting Kanto so often with nostalgia.

Bull Of Heaven

99 Pounders / 4'3" Feet
is a Pre-Contributor
I don’t see why they would need to get more than one game out of BW3, or why it would be weird to call it Grey. But it seems pretty clear to me that we were never meant to see the original dragon. The mystery kind of adds to its legend I guess.

Some of the Ultra Beasts could be decent candidates for game covers. Nihilego could make sense on an Alola game, and Naganadel or Guzzlord on a game that focused even more on Ultra Space.

Last edited:

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Interesting discussion idea to say the least. I enjoy seeing this kind of stuff when I get on the forums every now and then to lurk. Of the top of my head, I have a few nominations that haven't been mentioned yet.

1. Plusle & Minun: Looking at these two side by side in any of their appearances makes me wish that the synergy between them had a bit more emphasis placed within the games. Outside of their role as the Partner Pokémon in the original Pokémon Ranger game back in 2006, I can't think of any times where this has really came into effect. As game mascots, this problem could easily be fixed, and while this is obviously a long ways away at this point, this pair would be perfect for a Let's Go style game in the Hoenn region in the future.

2. Raikou & Entei: These Legendaries are a bit interesting, because I can think of another way they'd work outside of being two alternate versions of Pokémon Crystal. Raikou and Entei can actually be looked at as counterparts themselves, with Suicune being an awkward defensive third wheel of the group. Raikou has Special Attack and Speed and works well in the rain, and Entei has high HP and Attack and works well in the sun. There's already precedent for this idea, too, given how in some recent Pokémon games Raikou and Entei have actually been version exclusives with Suicune not being exclusive.

3. The Tapu Guardians: In recent months, I've felt like the Alola games were a little underrated, and one of the things that I thought could have improved the island challenge in every version of the region would be if you could start on any of the four islands of Alola and do the island trials in any order. This is where the Tapu quartet comes in. These would be the first set of four games as opposed to the usual two (or three in Gen 1), and not only would each version focus on a different Tapu, but you could maybe even start the game on your version's Tapu's respective island as well.

4. Mewtwo & Arceus: At first glance, this Legendary and Mythical set of Pokemon don't have much in common, but upon further inspection, the two make for fantastic counterparts. Heck, they've already been counterparts of some sort in the end of Pokemon Rumble Blast's postgame. Annyone else remember that game? Anyway, they both learn new moves at Level 100, being either Aura Sphere or Psystrike for Mewtwo, and Judgement for Arceus. They also share a few other moves such as Recover and both had the highest BST of any Pokémon at the time of their release. They're actually the only two Pokémon that have done this not counting alternate forms. Lastly, there's an incredible opportunity for a "Science Vs. Religion" theme/story here that I'd love to see play into the lore we already have of other Pokémon games.

Strangely enough when i was a kid i thought you could find Jirachi in meteor falls.

Any way one that i think would be an intresting version mascot is Unown since its quite a mysterious thing yet there really isn't much about them at all in game.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Plusle & Minun
They really should have appeared on the first Pokemon Ranger's Box Art. The Pokemon the the box art play a small role of a boss and that's it. At the very least have their silhouette be alongside their partner Ranger's silhouette.

Raikou & Entei
Now all three of them did get on the box art of the third Pokemon Ranger game, Guardian Signs, so there's that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)