Project Metagame Workshop (OM Submissions CLOSED)

Status
Not open for further replies.
eHi first timer, don't even know if this should go here or not since this really is more a restricted format then an om. Nonetheless I would really appreciate some feedback.

This is an unofficial growing metagame based around the regies and other pokemon who were alive during a similar time period. The format it is based off of is nat dex and follows all standard clauses of that tier. However the meta is more so focused on making the gameplay fun and balanced rather than canon. So the meta has a strict set of 33 pokemon ( that complement and go against each other beautifully. All legal pokemon are in this pokepaste https://pokepast.es/c6ce0ad4ddbdc16f.

items banned:

Aerodactylite
Diancite
Moves banned:
trick room
Abilities banned:
slush rush

Despite the seemingly limited slow bulky meta game, the meta would be a slow passed stall fest. However it became actually the opposite due to a thorough lack of recovery on all mons - the fairly weak corsola and most mons having similar speed tiers meaning that you can compromise your attack or bulk for a speed advantage. This means that creativity in team building is very important and strategies that would otherwise not work in regular nat dex now work here. For example rest + chesto berry or resto berry is the only effective way of recovery however due to the lack of knock off in the tier as well as how bulky the golems are and how much they need their hp for long game means that this is actually an effective strategy. In battles due to this lack of recovery and strong mons nuking the tier except for a few bulky mons means that positioning and prediction is key and games are usually fast passed aggressive battles. Finally each month has a distinct niche in the meta and almost all are very important to consider for one's team whole team building meaning that you have to prepare and counter the mons with a plan in mind to beat them. While this is true for other meta’s it is especially true here due to how powerful some mons are when they get going, especially due to the lack of phasers in the tier for stat boosters or walls for mons like regieleki. This means that teams often have to have a plan to beat certain mons in the meta by using more niche mons, and with them gone the teams can go nuts. For example removing the teams elec resist for leki is a basic example of this. However due to the limited meta strats can be more mon specific instead of generalization leading to far more interestingly and creatively built teams.

Please let me know your thoughts or any changes you would make

eHi first timer, don't even know if this should go here or not since this really is more a restricted format then an om. Nonetheless I would really appreciate some feedback.

This is an unofficial growing metagame based around the regies and other pokemon who were alive during a similar time period. The format it is based off of is nat dex and follows all standard clauses of that tier. However the meta is more so focused on making the gameplay fun and balanced rather than canon. So the meta has a strict set of 33 pokemon ( that complement and go against each other beautifully. All legal pokemon are in this pokepaste https://pokepast.es/c6ce0ad4ddbdc16f.

items banned:

Aerodactylite
Diancite
Moves banned:
trick room
Abilities banned:
slush rush

Despite the seemingly limited slow bulky meta game, the meta would be a slow passed stall fest. However it became actually the opposite due to a thorough lack of recovery on all mons - the fairly weak corsola and most mons having similar speed tiers meaning that you can compromise your attack or bulk for a speed advantage. This means that creativity in team building is very important and strategies that would otherwise not work in regular nat dex now work here. For example rest + chesto berry or resto berry is the only effective way of recovery however due to the lack of knock off in the tier as well as how bulky the golems are and how much they need their hp for long game means that this is actually an effective strategy. In battles due to this lack of recovery and strong mons nuking the tier except for a few bulky mons means that positioning and prediction is key and games are usually fast passed aggressive battles. Finally each month has a distinct niche in the meta and almost all are very important to consider for one's team whole team building meaning that you have to prepare and counter the mons with a plan in mind to beat them. While this is true for other meta’s it is especially true here due to how powerful some mons are when they get going, especially due to the lack of phasers in the tier for stat boosters or walls for mons like regieleki. This means that teams often have to have a plan to beat certain mons in the meta by using more niche mons, and with them gone the teams can go nuts. For example removing the teams elec resist for leki is a basic example of this. However due to the limited meta strats can be more mon specific instead of generalization leading to far more interestingly and creatively built teams.

See the Pet Mods subforum.

items banned:

Aerodactylite
Diancite
Moves banned:
trick room
Abilities banned:
slush rush

This is more a "Solomod", a pet mod with specific rules made by the creator

Ive been around for a while now. There are some OMs I remember from back in the days I would consider bringing back.
But Im unsure if I have the time to commit to running an OM.

One OM I propose brining back is Stat Shift.
Stat Shift: Pokemon highest stats swapped with lowest stats.
Example: Electric Regi stats are normally 80/100/50/100/50/200. But now stats become 80/100/200/100/200/50.

Will post Link to original OM sometime because its not original idea.

How do I go about making brining this OM back? Especially if Im uncertain to the commitment.

Last edited:
Fusion 1v1 (Outdated)
Too similar to Chimera 1v1. Check back later for a different Fusion idea.

Last edited:
Fusion 1v1
In this meta, you bring 6, pick 3. Those 3 fuse traits, and the game turns into a 1v1.
Rules:
You don't need but one Pokemon. But if you only bring one, your Teambuilding options are limited.
If you have more than one, the Pokemon you select have to fuse. No Pokémon will be allowed to keep their base form unless you only bring one.
Why is this fun? Well, think Frantic Fusions (my personal favorite OM :P) combined with BSS, probably the most thrilling format to play (imo at least), combined with 1v1, which doesn't get any OMs.
Fusion rules:
All stats are averaged. The Ability of the first selected Pokémon is used. The item of the second selected Pokémon is used. The typing of the third Pokemon is used.

This format would allow for some unique teambuilding concepts. The unpredictability would keep you guessing. Thoughts?
What moves are used? (Sorry one liner but big issue)

(sorry for the one liner but)
What makes this different (enough) from Chimera?
Holy. So you’re gonna laugh, I didn’t even know about Chimera. Editing my post to make it a bit different.
What moves are used? (Sorry one liner but big issue)
I have updated my post for the current meta to account for moves, but I’m redoing it to be a bit different, so check back in a few.

Are 12v12 (over 6v6) metas now possible to be submitted as OMs? Due to the box team feature you don't need to use import in order to create them. They would have the problems of complexity/length and also just knowledge of the feature (which could be advertised in the news tab if it wins omotm / lcotm).
A few ideas:
- 12v12: The simple, the recommended. Both offense and stall now gain tools to beat each other
- 7v7: Not quite 12v12 but more realistic, though it might be too similar to OU on its own.
- Doubled BSS / Replaceablemons: Bring 12, pick 6. Team preivew off, and maybe a modified species clause (2 of the same species).
- "Custom Game" (24v24 Level 9999 PH + Past): You know I want to.

Last edited:

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
I have been slacking on responding to stuff in this thread. I will respond to stuff from the last page or so, and try to keep up from now on. I will also be more actively moderating, so make sure that you are posting more fleshed-out. helpful, and on-topic posts than some that I've seen and deleted today.

And now for responses...

Let the CAP pokemon participate in OM's! Who's with me?
This is the wrong place to suggest something like this. And CAP OMs do in fact have a home: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/cap-old-gens-and-oms.3669001/
Feel free to discuss them there.

items banned:

Aerodactylite
Diancite
Moves banned:
trick room
Abilities banned:
slush rush

This is indeed a Pet Mod, which means you should probably post about it here to get feedback or here to submit it.

Are 12v12 (over 6v6) metas now possible to be submitted as OMs? Due to the box team feature you don't need to use import in order to create them. They would have the problems of complexity/length and also just knowledge of the feature (which could be advertised in the news tab if it wins omotm / lcotm).
A few ideas:
- 12v12: The simple, the recommended. Both offense and stall now gain tools to beat each other
- 7v7: Not quite 12v12 but more realistic, though it might be too similar to OU on its own.
- Doubled BSS / Replaceablemons: Bring 12, pick 6. Team preivew off, and maybe a modified species clause (2 of the same species).
- "Custom Game" (24v24 Level 9999 PH + Past): You know I want to.
More than 6 v More than 6 should be feasible now, but I have to question if it would be enjoyable. How different from OU would it really be (or PH lol)? Your first slots are generally the ones you put the most valuable mons in, because that's how it works. Not necessarily in building order, but in the order you would chuck mons out if you had fewer. I would frankly find 4v4 or 5v5 more interesting and complex than 7v7, which just sounds like a longer and more tedious to build version of 6v6, although that does sound much easier to get swept in.

I'm interested to hear what others have to say.
I had a really bad idea for a meta that will probably be hilarious for 10 minutes and then solved within 2 hours. So I'll just dump it here for you to enjoy those 10 minutes of theorying.
Monomons
Clauses: Standard OU Clauses except Species Clause.
Inverted Species Clause: Your entire team must share the same Dex number.

So this is basically Monotype taken to the extreme, minus a lot of freedom to adapt to weaknesses. Some sample threats I thought of:
Excadrill Hyper Sand Offense
Lead+Defensive Sand Setter+Sand Force Wallbreaker+3 Sand Rush Sweepers=yep. Probably broken.
Toxapex Stall
This is basically:Does your opponent's mon take Poison damage? If yes, win, if no, spam Scald.
Rotom Balance/Bulky Offense
Yes, Rotom doesn't autolose to a single mon clicking an SE move by virtue of its forms!
Dragonite Hyper Offense
This is basically that 6 EKiller AG meme, but to OU power level.
Aegislash Bulky Offense
Have you ever felt frustrated by your opponent having the correct check for your particular Aegi set when any other set won from preview? Well, worry no more. You can now use all the Aegi sets until something wins... Actually on second thoughts worry a lot this just invalidates things lol.
Magearna Hyper/Bulky Offense
WTF have you see this thing's movepool lately?? It even gets screens.
Corviknight Balance/Semi-Stall
Excadrill counterpick wooo. Oh yeah Bulk Up is a set. As is Double Dance Power Trip. Huh. This is not terrible. Great stall matchup and Drill matchup... Huh.

I don't have time to run a meta I just thought this would be funny to share.
Please no. This is just no team preview 1v1 but taken to the extreme. It is indeed amusing, I could see it as some sort of joke format but not as an actual OM or ladder.

shnowshner

You've Gotta Try
is a Pre-Contributor
Apparently nobody suggested this yet (perhaps for good reason)

Dexit Meta

Premise:
The only Pokemon allowed are those currently not obtainable in Sword and Shield.

Explanation: I've seen a lot of SwSh based OMs and NatDex based OMs, but nothing based on the Pokemon which aren't available by any means. So I wondered what a metagame would look like if only the cut Pokemon could be used; think of it like the ones left behind trying to form a metagame as all their friends and foes were shipped off to Galar.

After two rounds of DLC, turns out there's not much left. Here's a list of FE Pokemon that would be available and not Uber:

:beedrill::pidgeot::raticate::raticate-alola::fearow::arbok::parasect::venomoth::primeape::victreebel::golem::golem-alola::dodrio::dewgong::muk::muk-alola::hypno::electrode:

:meganium::typhlosion::feraligatr::furret::ledian::ariados::ampharos::jumpluff::sunflora::unown:(lmao):girafarig::forretress::granbull::ursaring::magcargo::houndoom::donphan::stantler::smeargle:

:mightyena::beautifly::dustox::swellow::masquerain::breloom::slaking::hariyama::delcatty::medicham::plusle::minun::volbeat::illumise::swalot::camerupt::grumpig::spinda::cacturne::zangoose::seviper::castform::kecleon::banette::tropius::chimecho::huntail::gorebyss::luvdisc::deoxys-defense:

:torterra::infernape::empoleon::staraptor::bibarel::kricketune::rampardos::bastiodon::wormadam::mothim::pachirisu::floatzel::ambipom::mismagius::honchkrow::purugly::chatot::carnivine::lumineon::yanmega::gliscor::probopass::phione::manaphy::shaymin:

:serperior::emboar::samurott::watchog::simisage::simisear::simipour::zebstrika::leavanny::swanna::sawsbuck::alomomola::eelektross::meloetta:

:chesnaught::delphox::greninja::vivillon::pyroar::florges::gogoat::furfrou::hoopa::hoopa-unbound:

:toucannon::gumshoos::crabominable::oricorio::minior::komala::bruxish:

Definite Bans:
Darkrai, Greninja-Ash, Arceus, Shaymin-Sky, Deoxys, Deoxys-Attack, Deoxys-Speed, Unown (For stability reasons)

Potential Bans:
Deoxys-Defense, Greninja, Hoopa-Unbound, Staraptor, Gliscor

Observations:
This gives me serious Clean Slate vibes in the sense it's a super-condensed "micro-meta," and is reminiscent of older generations like RBY/GSC where the amount of Pokemon was just naturally small and you had to work with what you got. The pool of available Pokemon is absolutely tiny, and I think that opens up a lot of interesting teambuilding challenges.
For example:

Granbull and Florges are the only two fully-evolved Fairy types in the game.

There are ZERO Dragons.

Like Fast Electric types? There's only two that have over 100 Speed.

Steels are reaching PU territory of scarce.

Like Ice types? There's only two.

Like Normal and Bug types? We've plenty of those.

There's a combination of really strong Pokemon intermixed with some really niche options and some stuff which has been unviable for generations. Big names in Greninja, Gliscor, Serperior, Infernape, Hoopa, Empoleon, Breloom, Alolan Muk, Staraptor, Deoxys-Defense, and Manaphy, some mid-tier Pokes with sizeable viability such Forretress, Feraligatr, Swellow, Yanmega, Shaymin, Alomomola, Meloetta, Florges, and Venomoth, and some really strange options which I can't recall the last time they were important like Grumpig, Arbok, Golem, Electrode, Probopass, Floatzel, Zebstrika, Sawsbuck, Bruxish, and freaking Hypno.

I think this would end up being a really interesting meta if some of the more problematic Pokemon were banned, but it also could be... lame? There's not a lot of stand-out Pokemon and it could end up super-centralized as a result. On the other hand, it'd be nice to get to use these long-forgotten (mostly) Pokemon of the past.

I wanted to make something that brought these Pokemon back, not sure if there is enough going on here however. So I'm wondering: would you be interested in playing such a meta? Do you have ideas on how we can make things more interesting?

Other questions:

Do we allow any potential new moves listed here?
Would you like to see Mega Evolutions enabled? Medicham-Mega would probably get banned, maybe Beedrill too
Would you like to see lost moves returned? Unown would still be trash

Dexit Meta

Premise:
The only Pokemon allowed are those currently not obtainable in Sword and Shield.

Explanation: I've seen a lot of SwSh based OMs and NatDex based OMs, but nothing based on the Pokemon which aren't available by any means. So I wondered what a metagame would look like if only the cut Pokemon could be used; think of it like the ones left behind trying to form a metagame as all their friends and foes were shipped off to Galar.

After two rounds of DLC, turns out there's not much left. Here's a list of FE Pokemon that would be available and not Uber:

:beedrill::pidgeot::raticate::raticate-alola::fearow::arbok::parasect::venomoth::primeape::victreebel::golem::golem-alola::dodrio::dewgong::muk::muk-alola::hypno::electrode:

:meganium::typhlosion::feraligatr::furret::ledian::ariados::ampharos::jumpluff::sunflora::unown:(lmao):girafarig::forretress::granbull::ursaring::magcargo::houndoom::donphan::stantler::smeargle:

:mightyena::beautifly::dustox::swellow::masquerain::breloom::slaking::hariyama::delcatty::medicham::plusle::minun::volbeat::illumise::swalot::camerupt::grumpig::spinda::cacturne::zangoose::seviper::castform::kecleon::banette::tropius::chimecho::huntail::gorebyss::luvdisc::deoxys-defense:

:torterra::infernape::empoleon::staraptor::bibarel::kricketune::rampardos::bastiodon::wormadam::mothim::pachirisu::floatzel::ambipom::mismagius::honchkrow::purugly::chatot::carnivine::lumineon::yanmega::gliscor::probopass::phione::manaphy::shaymin:

:serperior::emboar::samurott::watchog::simisage::simisear::simipour::zebstrika::leavanny::swanna::sawsbuck::alomomola::eelektross::meloetta:

:chesnaught::delphox::greninja::vivillon::pyroar::florges::gogoat::furfrou::hoopa::hoopa-unbound:

Definite Bans:
Darkrai, Greninja-Ash, Arceus, Shaymin-Sky, Deoxys, Deoxys-Attack, Deoxys-Speed, Unown (For stability reasons)

Potential Bans:

Observations:
This gives me serious Clean Slate vibes in the sense it's a super-condensed "micro-meta," and is reminiscent of older generations like RBY/GSC where the amount of Pokemon was just naturally small and you had to work with what you got. The pool of available Pokemon is absolutely tiny, and I think that opens up a lot of interesting teambuilding challenges.
For example:

There are ZERO Dragons.

There's a combination of really strong Pokemon intermixed with some really niche options and some stuff which has been unviable for generations. Big names in Greninja, Gliscor, Serperior, Infernape, Hoopa, Empoleon, Breloom, Alolan Muk, Staraptor, Deoxys-Defense, and Manaphy, some mid-tier Pokes with sizeable viability such Forretress, Feraligatr, Swellow, Yanmega, Shaymin, Alomomola, Meloetta, Florges, and Venomoth, and some really strange options which I can't recall the last time they were important like Grumpig, Arbok, Golem, Electrode, Probopass, Floatzel, Zebstrika, Sawsbuck, Bruxish, and freaking Hypno.

I think this would end up being a really interesting meta if some of the more problematic Pokemon were banned, but it also could be... lame? There's not a lot of stand-out Pokemon and it could end up super-centralized as a result. On the other hand, it'd be nice to get to use these long-forgotten (mostly) Pokemon of the past.

I wanted to make something that brought these Pokemon back, not sure if there is enough going on here however. So I'm wondering: would you be interested in playing such a meta? Do you have ideas on how we can make things more interesting?

Other questions:

Would you like to see Mega Evolutions enabled? Medicham-Mega would probably get banned, maybe Beedrill too
theres already a meta like this Nat Dex Already exists

Best Gal

once upon a time wont last forever
Last edited:
Since dexit dex heres another dex like meta.
Regional dex.

Basically the concept of this meta is that only pokemon in the regional dex are allowed.
Obviously this won't be possible for swsh(unless people want to do pre-DLC meta again)so the meta would take place in gen 5,6,7 and use the second version if they have it.

Dexit Meta

Premise:

Definite Bans:

Potential Bans:

Observations:
For example:

There are ZERO Dragons.

Other questions:

I like this meta idea because it allows forgotten pokemon and usually subpar pokemon to be on a level playing field.
Mega evolution would be a nice comback, and moves from previous gen's would also. And for the first question, why not? That wouldn't be a bad idea.

STABition (STAB and transition)

Please let me know if you have a better idea for a name.

Pokemon's first moves in its moveset change type to match the Pokemon's primary and secondary type if it has one. Essentially it's the opposite of Camomons.

Examples:

Stakataka @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Body Press
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock

Stakataka's typing is Rock/Steel, so his first move Gyro Ball is now a Rock-type move and his second move Body Press is Steel-type. Switching Body Press to the top spot would make it Rock-type, whereas Gyro Ball would be the same.
If you want both Gyro Ball and Body Press to be Rock-type, make it Shiny and then make its Gender Male. If you want them to be Steel Type, make it Female.

Polteageist @ Focus Sash
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stored Power
- Giga Drain
- Shell Smash
- Psychic

Since Polteageist only has one type, only the first move, Stored Power, will become Ghost-type. But if you also want to have a Ghost-type attack that restores health, make Polteageist Shiny. Then both Stored Power and Giga Drain will be Ghost-type.

How it effects moves that deal with multiple types

Some moves deal damage unrelated to its type. For example, Freeze-Dry. Freeze-Dry is always super effective against Water-types.
So if you use an Electric-type Freeze-Dry on Pelipper, it would deal 560 damage.

How this will effect status moves

Changing the types of status moves does not change their effects unless a type is a factor.

Examples:

Charge- Vikavolt would Charge and then double the power of a Bug-type move.
Curse- A non-Ghost-type Curse will boost a Ghost-type Pokemon's Attack and Defense while lowering Speed. A Rock-type Curse would lower Regirock's health and curse the opponent.
Electric Terrain- Alola-Raichu would create a "Psychic" Electric Terrain that boosts the power of Psychic moves.
Electrify- Heliolisk would make the opponent's next move Normal-type.
Flower Shield- Comfey would sharply raise the defense of all Fairy-type Pokemon.
Forest's Curse- Trevenant can add Ghost-type to an opponent.
Grassy Terrain- Venusaur would create a "Poison" Grassy Terrain that boosts the power of Poison moves.
Hail- Articuno's Flying-type Hail would damage every Pokemon that isn't Flying-Type.
Ion Deluge- Lanturn's Water-type deluge would turn Normal-type moves into Water-type.
Leech Seed- Ferrothorn's Steel-type Leech Seed would work on Grass-type Pokemon, but not Steel-type Pokemon.
Magic Powder- Hatterene would turn Pokemon into a Fairy-type.
Psychic Terrain- Bronzong would create a "Steel" Psychic Terrain that boosts the power of Steel moves.
Soak- Pelipper would change a Pokemon to Flying-type.
Spore- Amoongus would put Grass-type Pokemon to sleep, but not Poison-type Pokemon.
Stealth Rock- Shuckle's Bug-type entry hazard would deal extra damage to Grass, Bug, and Psychic types, and less damage to Fire, Fighting, Poison, Flying, Ghost, Steel, and Fairy Types.
Thunder Wave- A Poison-type Thunder Wave would paralyze a Ground-type Pokemon, but have no effect on Steel-types or other Poison types.
Toxic/Toxic Spikes- Electric-type Toxic would work on Steel-type Pokemon, but have no effect on Ground and other Electric-types. Additionally, as long as Toxic matches one of your Pokemon's types, it will never miss.
Trick-or-Treat- Gourgeist would add Grass to an opponent's type.
Will o' Wisp- A Water-type Will o' Wisp could burn a Fire-type Pokemon and not be negated by Flash Fire.

Some status moves, notably the ones involving weather, involve multiples types that are natural opposites. These effects will not change when type-shifted.
Rain boosts Water and weakens Fire, but what would a Steel-type Rain do?

This meta would bring a lot of interesting new techniques to life. It would give Pokemon more choices for moves that are both effective in battle and produce STAB, and shift how people deal with type resistances and immunities.

OM Suggestion
Slack mons: All Pokemon with a Weigth of 100 or higher have Truant as their ability.
Tier is Ubers.

OM Suggestion
Slack mons: All Pokemon with a Weigth of 100 or higher have Truant as their ability.
Tier is Ubers.
1605495171006.png

uh oh

Generally OMs that restrict the user aren't popular. Weight is a kinda arbitrary mechanic too. Maybe all Ubers having truant would be better but even then I doubt it would be very fun. If truant users ever become a thing then protect mons just exist

Didnt thougth about protect. Yeah Protect and all of his variations would have to be banned.
The players who dont like to use Truant can use the ones who keep the normal abilities.

Considering Truant is so debilitating that Slaking, a Pokemon with a phenomenal movepool and stats to rival Ubers, is Untiered, this meta would really just be "you can only use Pokemon with weight <100"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)