Little things you like about Pokémon

This is what happens when all you desire is to be as close of nature as possible but your friend says "hey, you should try out that new Colosseum thing!".
On another note, Breloom is the odd one out, since it's based on fungal life rather than animal life (animals that are usually bred, at that). It's not like they would run of out candidates in Gen I-III, so I wonder why?
I think they just wanted variety

Like you have:
-beef
-pork
-chicken
-fish (the fancy fish)
-some mushrooms for flavor

And you don't use Tropius (for fruit) because the joke is the pokemon as a whole, not what they produce

e: Checking the grass types available for this their options were pretty limited. You could only grab Pokemon in RS or Johto pokemon and in terms of "pokemon based on something actively edible and not just producing something edible" its really just Breloom and Seedot. Everything else is just A Plant or makes food you can just pick off. If Exeggutor were available they might've used that instead. Maybe could've used Sunflora, but I think thatw as earlier in the tower and you can't pass up some fugu!

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
e: Checking the grass types available for this their options were pretty limited. You could only grab Pokemon in RS or Johto pokemon and in terms of "pokemon based on something actively edible and not just producing something edible" its really just Breloom and Seedot. Everything else is just A Plant or makes food you can just pick off. If Exeggutor were available they might've used that instead. Maybe could've used Sunflora, but I think thatw as earlier in the tower and you can't pass up some fugu!
Could have had Flaaffy/Ampharos for lamb.

On another note, Breloom is the odd one out, since it's based on fungal life rather than animal life (animals that are usually bred, at that). It's not like they would run of out candidates in Gen I-III, so I wonder why?
People eat mushrooms, plus its cap looks like an olive. When the only other fully evolved mushroom Pokemon at the time is a zombie bug, Breloom looks way tastier.

Last edited:

I like when you return to lavender town in HGSS and this song plays and it's like all the bad things abt lavender town in FRLG are gone and the place is all like "cleaned" now (since the game is set a few years after the events of FRLG) and the theme reflects that
This also happens in the original, though it has a somewhat somber tone there, as if reminding of what happened before.

I like when you return to lavender town in HGSS and this song plays and it's like all the bad things abt lavender town in FRLG are gone and the place is all like "cleaned" now (since the game is set a few years after the events of FRLG) and the theme reflects that
Agreed, I really love how they changed certain themes when returning to Kanto in HGSS. With another example of course being Cinnabar island. Although in this instance they decided to go in the oppoiste direction and opt for a much more sombre tune reflecting the destruction wrought upon the island by the volcanic eruption. I guess they wanted to balance out the sadness from changing the tune in Lavender Town or something idk lol.

Also, another banger is the new theme they implemented in Viridian Forest which kinda reflects how we've grown up a lot since FRLG and dark forests and scary creepy crawlies no longer scare us. Although bugs still scare the heck outta me sometimes I'm not gonna lie here. Still an absolute bop regardless.

Ransei

Garde Mystik
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus

Normally, to obtain legendary Pokemon a player must either find and battle the Pokemon in a one on one or go through various tasks to prove themselves worthy enough to be handed it; either by a trainer or the Pokemon themselves. There are a few exceptions to this. However, the most notable one comes exclusively from Pokemon Sun and Moon. In those games, you find and collect cells throughout the region of Alola. Once you collect enough cells whether that'd be 10, 50, or 100, you go into Route 16. In that route, there is a lab. What can you do in this lab? Well, you can use the cells you've collected and build your own Zygarde. Never would I have expected players to be able to manually BUILD a legendary Pokemon from scratch and have it placed into their team midgame. That was a really cool feature. Personally I waited until postgame to do this as I was running a Monotype Water team but nevertheless the fact that these games allow you to build a legendary Pokemon is mind-boggling.

Unfortunately this stopped being a thing in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, as Zygarde returned to just being a boring cave boss.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming

Normally, to obtain legendary Pokemon a player must either find and battle the Pokemon in a one on one or go through various tasks to prove themselves worthy enough to be handed it; either by a trainer or the Pokemon themselves. There are a few exceptions to this. However, the most notable one comes exclusively from Pokemon Sun and Moon. In those games, you find and collect cells throughout the region of Alola. Once you collect enough cells whether that'd be 10, 50, or 100, you go into Route 16. In that route, there is a lab. What can you do in this lab? Well, you can use the cells you've collected and build your own Zygarde. Never would I have expected players to be able to manually BUILD a legendary Pokemon from scratch and have it placed into their team midgame. That was a really cool feature. Personally I waited until postgame to do this as I was running a Monotype Water team but nevertheless the fact that these games allow you to build a legendary Pokemon is mind-boggling.

Unfortunately this stopped being a thing in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, as Zygarde returned to just being a boring cave boss.
Hard agree! I see more competitive players complain that getting the cores to make Zygarde-50/100 becomes hella tedious but from a casual perspective it's a super interesting and fun little sidequest with a damn substantial prize that rewards you for keeping your eyes peeled and exploring the region to its fullest: If there's one good thing that came out of Pokemon Z being axed it was this mission. Of course seeing as this was a good and original thing SM did it figures USUM had to totally neuter it in the most half-assed way possible just like the game itself is a half-assed neutering of the OGs as a whole

Yessss, I loved this so much! An actual incentive to explore every nook and cranny of a Pokemon region in a modern(ish) game? Who would've thought? But in all seriousness this was such as cool idea for obtaining a legendary rather than the usual, get to the end of this cave and either endlessly toss ultra balls or master ball this extremely powerful mon that took almost no effort to find. On the theme of more innovative ways of obtaining legendary Pokemon, this is also reflected in Nebby's story line whom we discover was the ultra strong legendary Pokemon all along which was also fantastic and gave a much needed personal, story driven touch to obtaining the cover legendary. I wish they would continue more with ideas like this. Granted, I haven't played SwSh so I can't speak for those games.

In the daily rematch against Mustard in S/S, he talks about the battle being a competition of who can win the most Exp. Points from the other. That is interesting, because it is exactly what I am doing when I battle him! My goal is to get Exp. Points from beating his Pokémon in order to give some of my own Pokémon some good training. I like how that was included, it is almost as if he could read my mind!

Does anyone know about the Juice Shoppe in Lumiose City in X/Y? If not, then that’s okay. Because I did not know about it either until I randomly found it while browsing Bulbapedia a while ago. I know that I must have encountered it in the past when I was playing through X/Y and exploring Lumiose, but then completely forgotten about it afterwards. It seems like it has some really cool stuff to offer. Increasing Friendship, levels, EVs or resetting EVs to zero. Makes me wish I had made some good use of it when I played X/Y.

Next, I want to talk more about games I like even if they aren’t my top favorites. This time, I want to talk about side games. While I haven’t played many side games, I really want to say something about the few I have played because I really liked them. First of all, there’s the Gamecube games: Pokémon Colosseum and XD: Gale of Darkness. Those were just awesome games all around. They were similar to the main series but had several key differences like Shadow Pokémon, a very limited Pokémon selection, and a focus on Double Battles over Single. They also featured some fun minigames and great battle challenges. XD is also another Pokémon game that I consider to be a successful sequel, along with B2/W2. I really like these games and I wish there had been more like them. I played through both of them three times each and it was a ton of fun. It has also been almost exactly 15 years since I got XD as I got it as a Christmas gift in 2005. I remember that I started to play it on Christmas Day back in 2005, it is a great memory.

The next one is a Pokémon game that is generally very heavily disliked and criticized, but one that I liked and had a ton of fun with: Pokémon Battle Revolution. I will admit that it has issues, but I still think the good outweighs the bad. I had a lot of fun with it. It offered some extra challenges in addition to what the main series games from Gen 4 had (notably D/P), which was really great. I also loved a lot of the music in this game. I remember that before I got the game, I was obsessed with the Pokémon selection theme to the point that I went to Youtube videos where the game was being played by others and stayed at the parts where players chose their Pokémon and the music played, just so I could listen to the music. And like with XD, I got PBR as a Christmas present, this time in 2007. I also got Diamond at the same time. Both PBR and D/P were fun games and have many good memories from them.

Those are the only real side games I have played. I have also played Box R/S for Gamecube, Bank/Transporter for 3DS and Home for Switch/mobile, but I don’t really consider them to be “games”. They are more extra side-apps. Though I guess I can still say something positive about them now that I have mentioned them. The thing I like the most about them is obviously the fact that they offer extra space to store Pokémon. This was something I found really great as I did a lot of traditional breeding during the Gen 3 and 6/7 days, Box R/S and Bank were excellent places for storing the breeding leftovers. I haven’t really used Home for that though (and I don’t think I ever will either), but I appreciate its existence and how it has some other great features even if several of them should have been in the actual main Pokémon games and not just limited to a side app. Even so, Home is okay for what it is.

Another thing I thought of recently that I really like which I have never posted about here. It might be slightly controversial though, but here goes: I really like RNG abuse. I remember learning it for Gen 5 in mid-2011, and for Gen 4 in early 2012. Never bothered learning it for any other generations since I didn’t have the time/interest needed. I think it was a ton of fun and sometimes challenging too in a very different way compared to the usual challenges in Pokémon. I will always consider learning and mastering Entralink RNG in B/W to be one of my most hardcore Pokémon moments ever. On the whole, getting all those shiny and flawless Pokémon was a dream coming true for me. I loved it and it was one of the many things that really kept my interest in Pokémon alive during the golden years of 2011-2014.

I also want to give some praise to a certain individual Pokémon/line. And in an unexpected twist, it is a Pokémon from Gen 1!
1609004070181.png

I really like Hitmonlee. I think it is awesome all around. In terms of battling performance, it is a quite strong and decently fast Physical attacker with a pretty good movepool (past Gen 2 at least). But I think the design is where it really shines. I just realized this recently. It has a body as well as arms and hands, legs and feet. And eyes. No mouth, no nose, no ears, it doesn’t even have a head! It is really absurdly designed but in a very good way and I love it! Easily one of my top 10 favorite designs from Gen 1, maybe even top 5. While Lee is the one I like the best from the Hitmons, I am very fond of Top as well. Chan is my least favorite of them but I still think it is fine as there are worse Fighting-types from Gen 1. I like Tyrogue too.

Lastly, I just want to say that despite everything, I still like Pokémon on the whole. Despite the issues I have with the more recent games, the franchise and the fandom, I still enjoy Pokémon. The games are still fun to play, and the fandom is fun to be a part of. I am currently burnt out on Pokémon, but even if I were to quit Pokémon completely in the future, I will never forget all the fun I have had with the franchise for the past 20-ish years. Not only the games, but also the manga, anime, TCG and of course the fandom. I love Pokémon.

Last edited:

TMan87

We shall bow to neither master nor god
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Wait, PBR is heavily disliked? I had a ton of fun with that game!
Having barely played Stadium at friends', the fact that I could play Pokémon on a TV screen blew my mind. Each Colosseum has a distinct identity with fun challenges (especially fond of the one where you and your opponent pool your Pokémon and you get random ones).
The animations were kinda cool, as well! They should base the in-game animations off of those, even if you could massively improve them.

All in all, I'm still wishing for a Stadium 3/PBR 2 even today.

For me the issue was the pricetag. More or less everything in PBR is great, but it really just boils down to a battle simulator and a battle frontier; so I never felt like the full price wii game tag was justified and as a kid felt a bit ripped off (being a big pokemon fan who generally didn't have a lot of money for games). If it were, say, wiiware for the same price as Ranch; I'd feel a lot more positively about it.

Last edited:
For me the issue was the pricetag. More or less everything in PBR is great, but it really just boils down to a battle simulator and a battle frontier; so I never felt like the full price wii game tag was justified and as a kid felt a bit ripped off (being a big pokemon fan who generally didn't have a lot of money for games). If it were, say, wiiware for the same price as Ranch; I'd feel a lot more positively about it.
That kind of thinking is probably why the Battle Frontier was removed. There simply wasn’t enough player fan base for it, and the reception of being dedicated battle simulator really hurt it in the end since most players were not hardcore battlers, and did not want to dedicate hours for learning.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
I agree, despite having had lots of fun with Pokémon Battle Revolution when I was younger, because PBR following the Orre duology was a huge let down in hindsight. Colo sold excellently and XD still sold pretty well, so in comparison PBR looks like half a game. I think the timing matters since this criticism seems to be levelled at PBR far more than the Stadiums, despite the fact that PBR actually does way more with the concept of battling than Stadiums do. The only thing that Stadiums have on PBR is the minigames, and compared with cool things like the Colosseum where you play on a roulette wheel to determine who uses whose Pokémon, the minigames seem pretty insignificant. That roulette thing is actually something I’ve always wanted to return either in the actual games, or on showdown.

I would say that, and perhaps I was just a dumb kid, but I feel like the feature of trading your Pokémon from your DS games to PBR needed to be better advertised in-game. I actually never beat the game because I was only using rentals and the rentals were, while serviceable for most of the game, absolutely unable to beat Stargazer Colosseum. Perhaps at some point I’ll buy another copy of PBR (lost mine I think) and finally finish it with a team from the DS for closure.

The only thing that Stadiums have on PBR is the minigames,
*Looks at the Gym Leader Castle*

:pikuh:

PBR's issue is that while fun, it was nothing but an empty gimmick. Sure, 3D battles are awesome, but the consensus is that Stadium was dunking on it because of things like the mini-games and the Gym Leader Castle.

The Colosseums were also pretty weak gimmick-wise. Neon, for example, is very hit and miss, and much like me trying to pick my team from that wheel, that gimmick was a bunch of misses to a lot of people.

I liked PBR a lot, but I just couldn't play it without wishing it was a fully realized game like Stadium 2.

I wonder if people would've cared about the stadium part of stadium more if they just swapped in the gym leader sprites

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
I wonder if people would've cared about the stadium part of stadium more if they just swapped in the gym leader sprites
I mean this is what Volt-Ikazuchi just argued, since the gym leader castle is literally standard stadium battles with gym leader sprites.

If that’s all it would take to make PBR a “full game” then I guess it is already. But having a proper single player campaign where you, y’know, train and catch Pokémon is pretty essential to be a full game imo.

Writing this out made me realise that Pokémon GO is a more complete Pokémon experience than PBR. I don’t know how I feel about this.

If that’s all it would take to make PBR a “full game” then I guess it is already
The thing about these 3D spinoffs is that they were the only way to get full 3D rematches against all leaders and stuff.

Remember all the hype about the PWT in BW2 because of all leaders coming back? This is what people expected out of PBR.

Now I don't know about the price tag, I got my copy in a used package deal. But as a game? People really wanted those rematches. Stadiums/Colosseums for extra meat, Utilities (PBR does fine on that), and maybe some nice online rule options (I definitely missed some kind of legendary banlist, half of the teams out there were cover legends stacked with no cohesion.)

PBR feels like a game where you go to a restaurant and they serve you an amazing entree and then give you the bill. No main dish or dessert. It's good, but you'll still be hungry afterwards.

Well I never actually beat PBR as a kid, I still had a blast with 3D battles. Me and my friends would love playing battles on the big screen, and we had a great time. I guess that's why I never understood that Stadium's mini games were so important, me and my friends never played any of the stadium games.

PBR was a functional online battler with a decent competitive community. That was the appeal. It was probably a lot of people's first experience with a competitive scene (it was for me!) unless you like, stumbled upon a link to PO on a forum. I remember there was an active youtube community showcasing semi-competitive teams as well (I distinctly remember loving a channel called treecko something?)

Well I never actually beat PBR as a kid, I still had a blast with 3D battles. Me and my friends would love playing battles on the big screen, and we had a great time. I guess that's why I never understood that Stadium's mini games were so important, me and my friends never played any of the stadium games.
For me, it wasn't just the minigames, at least for stadium 2. It had a built-in PC for both Pokemon and items(with the gen I and II games having separate boxes for items from each other), a trading function, a NPC mystery gift partner for Gen II games, a trainer school for teaching people about various move combinations(like Defense Curl+Rollout and using the Weather in general), a Pokedex that lists all of the moves the Pokemon can learn via Level-up, TM/HM, Egg moves, and Crystal Move Tutors, Rental Pokemon of almost every exsiting species at the time to choose from you can mix and match, and a way to play all of the Gen I and Gen II games on you TV with a fast-forward function.

That's what I was saying. The Gym Leader Castle was even more important.

Imagine getting to battle all of Sinnoh's leaders in 3D. :swole:

For me, it wasn't just the minigames, at least for stadium 2. It had a built-in PC for both Pokemon and items(with the gen I and II games having separate boxes for items from each other), a trading function, a NPC mystery gift partner for Gen II games, a trainer school for teaching people about various move combinations(like Defense Curl+Rollout and using the Weather in general), a Pokedex that lists all of the moves the Pokemon can learn via Level-up, TM/HM, Egg moves, and Crystal Move Tutors, Rental Pokemon of almost every exsiting species at the time to choose from you can mix and match, and a way to play all of the Gen I and Gen II games on you TV with a fast-forward function.
GOAT Spinoff and it's not even close. :swole:

Seriously, can we appreciate just how good Stadium 2 was?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)