my worst pokemon pronunciations

enjoy

EYE-jih-slash
This pronunciation of 'ae' is used in classical Latin, which, considering that's where English originally got 'aegis' from, makes it reasonable to use. I don't know where you got the 'j' sound from though, classical Latin doesn't use it.

speaking (heh) of Latin pronuncations, I'm pretty sure my use of Ay-ter-Nat-oos is not the standard.

BIG ASHLEY

ashley
is a Community Contributor
This pronunciation of 'ae' is used in classical Latin, which, considering that's where English originally got 'aegis' from
uhm acktually *pushes glasses up nose* the word aegis (originally aigis) comes from greek, being the shield/animal skin (interpretations vary) borne by athene and zeus in mythology, so uhhhhh........ *smirks* get schooled kid

no idea about the pronunciation tho - language isn't really my scene

uhm acktually *pushes glasses up nose* the word aegis (originally aigis) comes from greek, being the shield/animal skin (interpretations vary) borne by athene and zeus in mythology, so uhhhhh........ *smirks* get schooled kid

no idea about the pronunciation tho - language isn't really my scene
Hence why I said "used in Latin" not "originates in Latin." I happened to take a course in Latin before taking one in Greek, so it's my default point of reference.

The mythology source in said course used aegis to refer to Athena's/Minerva's armour once Medusa's head was transferred to it, but as you said there's a lot of variation when it comes to myths.

1609563395893.png

Back in 2nd grade, Gen 2 was so young that we didn't have the anime or PS2 to reference Pokemon names. Whoever got the Pokemon first and started talking about it decided how it was pronounced.

I got all my 2nd grade friends to pronounce Meganium as Mega-Knee-Um. Later on, I thought it was so weird how incorrect the Pokemon Stadium 2 announcer was saying its name.

My brother used to pronouce Groudon like Gru-don for whatever reason, drove me nuts. He also pronouned Kyogre as Key-ogre. Although I don't think he was joking on Groudon, he did like to mess around and wrongly pronounce Pokemon names purposefully such as pronouncing Gible in a similar fashion to 'gilet' (so Geeb-lay) and Feebas like Feebus.

I also had a friend who pronounced Empoleon in the literal sense of the name, splitting it up like Emp-O-Leon (pronouncing leon like the irl name).

There are a bunch of Poketubers that unironically say deck-ah-doo-ee, and I'm not sure if they're just taking the piss, or if they actually think that's how you pronounce Decidueye....

enjoy
kie-MEH-co
Question. Is the capitalized part supposed to emphasize the part you pronounce wrong? Because the name of this thing is just saying the word Chime and Echo together. "chai-Meh-ko", with the emphasis on the second syllable. Meaning you're right on the second syllable, but wrong on the first. Not that I'm guilt free of mispronouncing this thing's name. I used to call it "Chih-muh-Cho" and then "chaim-cho". The last one I rationalized as it having a Chinese sounding name, which it has in common with Chingling.
:rattata: = Rat-tah-tah
Are you saying you emphasize each syllables equally? Like saying "at at at" repeatedly?
:lapras: = Lapriss
Where's the emphasis? On the first syllable (La-priss) or the second syllable (luh-Priss)?

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
When Snivy's name was revealed some people (including me) hated it because they thought it was Sniv-y instead of Sn-ivy.

I'm pretty sure this is from misreading it, but I know someone who thought Deoxys was pronounces Dex-oys until he heard it in the movie. It's impressive how switching two letters can make something sound so much dumber.

Edit: Alomomola

Pronunciation: Alo-mo-uh... What should have been Luvdisc's evolution? I'd like to see you try!

Last edited:

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Question. Is the capitalized part supposed to emphasize the part you pronounce wrong?
good q. no, it's where i put the emphasis

for our new OI friends:

MAS-cur-EN

mel-oh-EH' (apostrophe = quick stop)

muhy-TYEN-uh

i swear it changes every time i look at this. nuh-guh-NAH-duhl, NAH-guh-NAY-duhl, nuh-GAH-nuh-del?

speh-tree-AY

sta-KA-ta-KA-ta

stun-juhn-YER

THUN-druss (not "th" as in "the". just a t followed by an h)

ECKS-ah-tu, ECKS-ern-ee-us, WHY-vel-tal

SAH-muh-SEN-tuh

i pronounce this normally but "sih-vill-AY-on" just popped in my head and i might switch!

I refuse to pronounce Arceus correctly :blobthumbsup:

It's not a huge issue because it's kind of his (the Youtuber's) "brand" but hearing Garbodor as "GARB-uh-dor" is wrong, and relatively common.

i swear it changes every time i look at this. nuh-guh-NAH-duhl, NAH-guh-NAY-duhl, nuh-GAH-nuh-del?
The hardest part for me here is where to put the accent. If done accurately all three A's should probably be short A sounds instead of schwas but it's not a huge difference. I personally pronounce it closest to your last one, though considering its etymology (naga + corruption of needle), the first is also pretty good.

sta-KA-ta-KA-ta
Do tell me what's wrong with this because that's how I pronounce it (with short A sounds of course)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)