Unpopular opinions

I don't think I'm too hasty at all, actually. Apologies if I misconstrued your arguments.

1. Um, single player accomplishment is still a thing. It has and always will be a thing, a lot of people play the game for the challenge and then some, not just the challenge. People still by and large consider Gen 2 one of the best ever, this thread notwithstanding. Gen 4 is even newer and was popular both when it came out and today. I see no reason to think, thus far, that kids are any exception to these general trends. My kid cousins sure enjoyed Gen 4, they were maybe 13 at most and were crazy Pokemon fans (even playing and liking Gen 2 as well as Gen 3) even before that age. That's anecdotal evidence admittedly but it's still more than anyone else has provided, and I've provided more anecdotal evidence in my last post alone.

2. You might be right on this note, but you're also assuming they still aren't kids. Do you really think all those videos memeing Gen V music are from our generations? I'm not sold - Gen Z, if it differs from our generations in any way, would be MORE likely to pull off memes like this.

3. It's not a true statement if there's no proof for it, and even if there was, you have to prove that the age proportions for those who shiny hunt and the age proportions for those who play Pokemon are significantly different. I have seen no evidence of that, anecdotal or otherwise.

4. I disagree, given that grownup fans are also more DISCERNING (for better or worse) and seek out games. Being more established doesn't mean you'll throw your money at something if you don't know or think it's good, why would older fans throw their limited money at Pokemon XY when they can buy a much better game for the same or even slightly higher price? They've likely played more games too.

The kids meanwhile have to directly depend on their parents, who may or may not actually get them the games lol. Also, the ''less effort spent somewhere else'' is headcanon (never mind the fact that that ''somewhere else'' might not even be a big deal at all for the players), Game Freak can wait longer to release a new game instead of doing it like every year, and if necessary work with more people. Have you not seen pages of people complaining that GF is rushing games out like every year instead of taking the time to actually perfect them instead? That's another complaint I'd support, by the way. Let's stop apologizing for GF's poor marketing.

5. Funny you say this now when you were willing to bust out principles of basic microeconomics in your last reply lol. My point is that according to basic economic concepts, your arguments really don't make sense. I do not buy Fortnite being significant competition for Pokemon. You're putting too much weight into ''single player accomplishment'' when people play games for far more than ''accomplishment'', they do it for fun and recreation too, and the accomplishment can be attained in yet more ways like shiny hunting, Nuzlockes, etc. as we have discussed.

Pokemon is about the journey, not just the battles, though the battles are undeniably a major part of what makes it work. It may be popular on Smogon to get it the other way around I guess, not saying you are, but you may be thinking others are.

Tbh we should do more research rather than simply making excuses for Game Freak and stereotyping an entire age group without evidence. I'm not saying I'm right, I could very well be wrong, I just genuinely doubt it based on my experiences as a kid and knowing other kids and my logic.

Yes, please feel free to (dis)agree.

Unpopular opinion: Super Smash Bros for the Wii U is trash for not having a story mode. It's also weird that people want to play Brawl or Melee when the much better designed Wii U version exists (for multi-player battles anyway, it's still trash otherwise). Like story modes are cool and all, but if you wanna play multiplayer, the latest version quite honestly would be the best in my view, it's sooo much better aesthetically and in character choices.
  1. Smash Wii U is no longer the most recent version. Ultimate is.
  2. There's more to a game than aesthetics and number of characters. Mechanics are also a thing.
  3. Most multiplayer game franchises do this, regardless of whether or not people think it's mechanically better than its predecessors, because a multiplayer game is nothing without a community and the most recent version is often the most popular. A game like Melee that remains popular and relevant two decades after release is incredibly rare.
  4. This is a Pokemon forum.

1. Smash Wii U is no longer the most recent version. Ultimate is.
  2. There's more to a game than aesthetics and number of characters. Mechanics are also a thing.
  3. Most multiplayer game franchises do this, regardless of whether or not people think it's mechanically better than its predecessors, because a multiplayer game is nothing without a community and the most recent version is often the most popular. A game like Melee that remains popular and relevant two decades after release is incredibly rare.
  4. This is a Pokemon forum.
1. I meant at the time (2016) it was the most latest version - should have made it clearer.

2. Don't disagree.

3. Fair.

4. Didn't stop others from bringing up Smash in earlier posts. But fine, I guess...

5. Not sure what you're angry at?

Not if they decided to shoehorn Dynamax (alongside Eternatus) in Sinnoh, a region with an already heavily established lore. If they do, this will greatly hurt what uniqueness both Galar and Sinnoh tried to have.

But we can be confident that the next generation will invent a new super mechanic, hopefully nowhere as absurd as Dynamax. I feel like that mechanic already overstayed its welcome quickly, even faster than Mega Evolution or Z-Moves ever did.
That's what I'm saying. Either wait more for the next generation and give the inevitable remake more time to polish, or have it now and let 'Haha beeeg Pokemon go whoosh' overtake another metagame.

On another note
For what I've seen, this is so true for many people. Not for me, you are still a mess, X and Y.

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
I actually think FRLG are good remakes.

1) RBY is a lovable mess, which FRLG cleaned up mechanics wise.
2) Character redesigns are really good.
3) Much cleaner looking Pokemon sprites than anything before it, and Emerald after it.
4) We've been spoiled by Gen 2's postgame, but I enjoyed the Sevii Islands postgame a lot. Granted the plot was very simple, I felt that's where the beauty was: just exploring new places and finding new Pokemon.
5) Great music. While this is a given for any Pokemon game, I think the FRLG champion theme is the greatest battle theme we've ever had. I also think the remixed GSC themes for the Sevii Isles are even better than the HGSS versions.
6) Elite 4 and Champion rematches with improved teams, which was the first time it was included and wasn't included again until Platinum. I wish we could rematch gym leaders though. That felt like it was dying to happen but didn't.
7) Added an extra place to grind between Blaine and Giovanni battles with a side plot.

3) Much cleaner looking Pokemon sprites than anything before it, and Emerald after it.
4) We've been spoiled by Gen 2's postgame, but I enjoyed the Sevii Islands postgame a lot. Granted the plot was very simple, I felt that's where the beauty was: just exploring new places and finding new Pokemon.
5) Great music. While this is a given for any Pokemon game, I think the FRLG champion theme is the greatest battle theme we've ever had. I also think the remixed GSC themes for the Sevii Isles are even better than the HGSS versions.
6) Elite 4 and Champion rematches with improved teams, which was the first time it was included and wasn't included again until Platinum. I wish we could rematch gym leaders though. That felt like it was dying to happen but didn't.
7) Added an extra place to grind between Blaine and Giovanni battles with a side plot.
Yo. FR/LG are amazing.

5. Music of FRLG is pretty good. I remember being quite shocked when I faced Articuno and it showed a variation of the wild theme. That said, I wish they had went more on that route, have more battle themes geez. The rival still uses the regular trainer battle theme until the champion battle, all of Team Rocket uses the same trainer theme, the Elite Four just use the Gym Leader theme (and in the og game, all but Lance use THE REGULAR TRAINER THEME). What's worse is that for the second Kanto remake 14 years later, it still lacks battle ost -_-

6. Really great addition, although the next game, Emerald didn't have them (ORAS does, and people still say it's lacking :mehowth: ) and grinding levels in that game is very slow. Neither did DP, but starting with Platinum it does! Then XY drops it...but it comes back for later titles. Still, FRLG invented it!

I want to add another great addition that only lived until the Sinnoh games and better PRAY the inevitable remakes include it: the Vs Seeker. It's a fun addition to battle any trainer whenever you want and a good training tool, only complaint is that it doesn't work in caves, indoors, etc. for some reason...

Last edited:
I have no hope for Diamond and Pearl remakes. I recall looking forward during the Gen 7 era what they could do to improve the games.
Generation 4 is one of my least favorite generations. DP have insane amount of issues. Let's go over refreshing some of our memories:
- lack of Fire types because "cold region", and still adding an elite 4 member specializing in fire types... I criticized Gen 3 for the lack of good fire types and fire types in general, but even then you will have a hard time in a region with "too much water". But in Sinnoh, you basicly require a Fire Type, otherwise you will be walled by Bronzel and Bronzong. But your only option are less than half the amount of Hoenn's evolutionary lines. The starter and Ponyta. And there is no way around it, Ponyta is awful in DP because no Flamewheel, horrible movepool and evolves at lv40.
But hey, you can teach it Fire Blast and 80 SpA is respectable. It rivals Monferno too.
- it's a cold region, but no early game ice types and there is a lack of ice types too. Why does Candice even have 4 Pokemon if she can't have a full team of ice types. Also by the time you have an ice type, you have a water type with ice attacks which is better to begin with. Ice Types usually suck in game too because of the horrible way you can obtain them. I recall Articuno being the only classic ice type worth adding to your team. Maybe there are more.
- You have to see all the Pokemon in the Pokedex to get access to the post-game and palpark
- too many legendaries making them less valuable and the enjoyment (for me at least) to find them and catch gets repetitive and boring
- too many myphical Pokemon. I still can't get it believe the reasons given for the lack of an Azure Flute distribution. Gosh, where could be the most important place be where I could encounter a deity Pokemon? If only there were some hint where to use the damn flute. We will never solve it like we never solved the Regi-riddles.
- still having version exclusive legendary Pokemon.
- too many HMs
- honey trees

What I want is fixing some of these issue, because while I dislike Gen 4, I feel it has actual potential. But seeing what GF is doing time and time again, I have no hope honestly. Giratina will likely be stationary, you catch it and somewhere an old lady will give you the Platinum Orb. And Flint will likely have no fire types until the post game, if that even exists. Maybe he will have Charizard because at least he is in SwSh.

I criticized Gen 3 for the lack of good fire types and fire types in general
To be fair: camerupt and torkoal are both pretty decent choices. Not the best pokémon out there but it could be worse. I do agree that fire types really aren't useful in Hoenn though. The only good matchup is steven's steel type, and in Emerald, they're basically worthless, unless you're really struggling with Wattson (can you even get a fire type before his gym though?), or you really need something for the post-game Steven fight.
I agree with the rest of your post, just wanted to point this out.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
I have no hope for Diamond and Pearl remakes. I recall looking forward during the Gen 7 era what they could do to improve the games.
Generation 4 is one of my least favorite generations. DP have insane amount of issues. Let's go over refreshing some of our memories:
- lack of Fire types because "cold region", and still adding an elite 4 member specializing in fire types... I criticized Gen 3 for the lack of good fire types and fire types in general, but even then you will have a hard time in a region with "too much water". But in Sinnoh, you basicly require a Fire Type, otherwise you will be walled by Bronzel and Bronzong. But your only option are less than half the amount of Hoenn's evolutionary lines. The starter and Ponyta. And there is no way around it, Ponyta is awful in DP because no Flamewheel, horrible movepool and evolves at lv40.
But hey, you can teach it Fire Blast and 80 SpA is respectable. It rivals Monferno too.
- it's a cold region, but no early game ice types and there is a lack of ice types too. Why does Candice even have 4 Pokemon if she can't have a full team of ice types. Also by the time you have an ice type, you have a water type with ice attacks which is better to begin with. Ice Types usually suck in game too because of the horrible way you can obtain them. I recall Articuno being the only classic ice type worth adding to your team. Maybe there are more.
- You have to see all the Pokemon in the Pokedex to get access to the post-game and palpark
- too many legendaries making them less valuable and the enjoyment (for me at least) to find them and catch gets repetitive and boring
- too many myphical Pokemon. I still can't get it believe the reasons given for the lack of an Azure Flute distribution. Gosh, where could be the most important place be where I could encounter a deity Pokemon? If only there were some hint where to use the damn flute. We will never solve it like we never solved the Regi-riddles.
- still having version exclusive legendary Pokemon.
- too many HMs
- honey trees

What I want is fixing some of these issue, because while I dislike Gen 4, I feel it has actual potential. But seeing what GF is doing time and time again, I have no hope honestly. Giratina will likely be stationary, you catch it and somewhere an old lady will give you the Platinum Orb. And Flint will likely have no fire types until the post game, if that even exists. Maybe he will have Charizard because at least he is in SwSh.
To be fair: camerupt and torkoal are both pretty decent choices. Not the best pokémon out there but it could be worse. I do agree that fire types really aren't useful in Hoenn though. The only good matchup is steven's steel type, and in Emerald, they're basically worthless, unless you're really struggling with Wattson (can you even get a fire type before his gym though?), or you really need something for the post-game Steven fight.
I agree with the rest of your post, just wanted to point this out.
Wait until people starting to call the DP remakes as the absolute worst Pokémon remake of all time, and that's only likely if they try to make it as SwSh compatible as possible instead of making DP remakes their own game. Dynamax in Sinnoh can also run a huge risk of immersion breaking than Mega Evolution or Z-Moves does, because it was supposed to be so heavily Galar-only that somehow bringing it in any other region with an already highly established lore will break the point of willing supsension of disbelief, especially if it ended up being the reason why some features, such as Underground, ends up being removed.

I was expecting the worst but hope for the best, although I should not say anything wishful things because that would reach the forbidden wish listing level of listing, but most I can say is that the game speed, unless GF somehow completely screw it up, will be an improvement from the original DP games.

Samtendo09

is a Pre-Contributor
I'm not sure Dynamax outside of Galar would be that immersion breaking. Eternatus's power may be localized in Galar, but Calyrex's blue glow suggests that Eternatus isn't the only way to Dynamax. They could easily explain it as the energy from some mysterious Pokemon who is said to sleep at the peak of Mt. Coronet (aka Arceus).
I do not think that would soften the blow of backlash considering how quickly Dynamax overstayed its welcome among the Pokémon community beyond the VGC community, but at least that would be a sensible explanation and not shoehorning Eternatus into Sinnoh.

The bigger problems is removing some of Sinnoh's original identity by involving big stadium gyms, underground becoming Dynamax Adventure or Raid Dens, giving Dialga and Palkia Eternamax forms or something strikingly similar to Eternamax instead of Primal Reversion, especially since Dynamax cannot be implemented in spin-offs as easily as Megas and Primals without raising eyebrows or becoming impractical.

And on top of those, make Mega Lucario, Mega Abomasnow, and Mega Garchomp obsolete and replaced by Gigantamax forms that would come off as incredibly redundant if none of the G-Max forms offer anything really different from their Mega counterpart, if G-Max Gengar compared to Mega Gengar is anything to go by.

There are reasons why some people are fearing that the DP remakes will be SwSh 2, as ridiculous as that comes off.

Last edited:

Samtendo09

is a Pre-Contributor
they shoehorned mega evolutions in hoenn and that came out alright in the end, dmaxing in sinnoh remakes will be fine. not like they'll come out in the first place lmao
Did you even read what I said? Mega Evolution may be shoehorned into Hoenn, yes, but it does not heavily modify Hoenn as a place since Mega Evolution only requires a Mega Stone and a Key Stone.

Dynamax would require not just a source of D-Max energy, but also changed Gyms, replaced Underground by Raid Dens / Dynamax Adventures, and copy-pasting the Galar's Battle Tower as the full replacement of the Platinum's Battle Frontier, and other things, to the point that it feels a lot less Sinnoh and more of an expansion of Galar.

It wouldn't be as immersion breaking as saying, in XY, that Mega Evolutions were created in Kalos, only for ORAS to say that Hoennians have known them for milennia.
And it wouldn't be even the last time they just did. Don't forget, GF had explicitly said that parallels dimensions and alternative timeline exists so much, especially if ORAS and USUM are anything to go by. Pokémon mainline is incredibly inconsistent in terms of timeline we might as well just stop expecting the remakes to be really remakes and more "expansion of the mainline games", instead of making a whole coherent world.

I agree, even though I don't like FRLG. It really was a polished remake and the addition of the Sevii Islands added some much needed new flair to Kanto, but it wasn't enough. Kanto is boring.

I couldn't help but laugh a bit at the Gen 2 post-game comment though. GSC Kanto is not only very overrated, but not that popular as a post-game compared to Emerald's Battle Frontier.

It was kinda nice for what they wanted and could do though. Definitely up there in terms of post-game.

IMO, there are a few things that are necessary for DP remakes to not be garbage:

1. Difficulty: In no uncertain terms, Sinnoh NEEDS to be at least somewhat challenging. The difficulty is one of things the community seems to remember the most about these games- it's part of their identity; that final fight with Cynthia just wouldn't be the same if it gets nerfed. I would also argue that since Gen 8 is the generation of getting Pokemon Go players onboard the main series, it makes logical sense for the DP remakes to see a difficulty spike compared to SwSh. Let's Go was about transitioning Go players into the series, SwSh got them into the proper gameplay formula; the newbies are used to Pokemon now, so naturally DP+ should be the games that ramp up the challenge, test them in ways the last few games just don't. Of course, this is probably the point where they're most likely to fail, since apparently kids these days don't have the attention span for challenge (and yet do have the attention span for 10 hours of unskippable cutscenes, I guess), but if DP+ are on the same difficulty level as SwSh, then I frankly have no interest in getting them.
2. Stick to Platinum: It may be controversial to say, but Diamond and Pearl have some- very notable issues. There's a reason Platinum gets gushed about far more- it's basically superior in every way, an example of GF using the third version to fix the flaws of the first 2. As such, I'd say keep the quality of life improvements Platinum made, and like ORAS' Delta Episode expand on some of these ideas. I would love a fully explorable Distortion World (actually explorable, not Ultra Space "explorable").
3. Keep the Map Open: The last 2 regions have had a bad habit of keeping the player on a mostly linear path, and like many I feel this approach to design does a great disservice to the world of Pokemon; for this point, I just want the map to be as open as it was in the originals. Since HMs have been given the boot, Sinnoh will likely be easier to traverse than in DP (which is actually a good thing), but I think they should try to implement the previously HM-dependent paths that litter Sinnoh in some way, give us a reason to come back to certain areas. Don't just convert the middle of the map into a SwSh quality Wild Area and then box us in the rest of the time. Because that would be boring.
4. Better Mon Distribution: As often noted, DP have some issues in terms of how certain types are distributed. Just do a better job balancing the types; make the Magmar line available during the main game, move some of those Ice types to an earlier route (given how much they struggle, it is inherently dumb for Ice types to be locked to so late in the game. Sinnoh is a cold region, so now would be a logical time to break this stupid tradition), just get a nice balance of mons throughout each part of the region. I'm personally of the opinion that all non-Legendary/whatever mons should be at least theoretically available before the Pokemon league, but I understand the desire to not overcrowd any areas.

There are more things I'd ideally want (namely improved animation/models), but realistically those aren't going to happen mid-gen. I do think that the points I did list are all manageable to some extent, so that's why I focused on them.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Let's say you kind of struck one of the reasons for which Fortnite, Hearthstone and Mobas, and hell, even Pokemon Go are so popular nowadays, while other genres like RTS are slowly fading out of popularity: it's games you can pick up, play a match or two, and quit istantly when bored (as well as altf4 with very little penalty most of the time), with no preparation or commitment required.

As I said a few times, I don't think GameFreak's opinion on "modern kids liking games they can pick and drop on the fly" is wrong. Might not be due to low attention span or lazyness or dumbness, but they are spot on on the read.
I don't see what that has anything to do with the conversation. Pokemon isn't a RTS. Infact, Pokemon was made so you can pick it up, play for a bit, save & put it down going back whenever you're ready.

I keep saying inevitable because I know it will happen, but the public is so desperate to not realize we are following a already set formula.
Yeah, like I'm sure Pokemon Gray, Z, and SwSh2 will dropping any day now too.

Yeah, we can't really rely on a formula anymore as GF has sort of broke it and it's not certain what they would do. Thought BW was getting an enhanced "Gray" version? Nope, paired sequel games. Though XY was getting enhanced/sequels? Nope, was passed in favor of releasing next gen for 20th Anniversary. Heard SM was getting paired games and thought they were sequels? Nope, both are "enhanced" versions. And now DLC has essentially added what an enhanced/sequel version SwSh would have added so what we have of Galar now is all we're getting.

As for remakes, the usual pattern for them is they're released during the gen on a new console. Gen III on the GBA got FRLG, Gen IV on the DS got HGSS, Gen V was still on DS so got no remake, Gen VI on 3DS got ORAS, Gen VII was also on 3DS so got no remake. Now, Gen VIII is the first gen on the Switch... but there's a new element to the "remake" formula: Let's Go. Does LGPE count as this gen's remake? Is it it's own separate series? Or does it count as a pseudo-remake where it can take the place of a core series remake for the first gen on a new console but if there's another gen on the console a core series remake will (very likely) be made then.

If it takes the place of a core series remake, then we're not getting Sinnoh remakes until console after the Switch. If it's own separate series, well tradition thus state Sinnoh remakes are coming soon. But if they count as a pseudo-remake (which I think they do), that means we won't be seeing Sinnoh remakes for Gen VIII BUT I have a feeling we'll get at least one more Gen (IX) on the Switch thus Sinnoh remakes will be coming out then (and likely the mechanics implemented in the debut games for Gen IX may also be tailored it would be something they can easily implement into the Sinnoh games, infact maybe they'll go back to something like Mega Evos and/or Z-Moves for that reason and keep those features on a rotation instead of us having to wait until Gen VI and VII remakes; maybe we'll even get some additional Ultra Beasts which would fit Sinnoh's spacetime theme).

Impressing your friends through single player accomplishment is a lot harder in the age of the Internet. If you want to do something difficult in a Pokemon game, chances are a thousand people have already done it, and a hundred have uploaded YouTube videos on it. Less impressive. Further, Pokemon accomplishments themselves are almost automatically less hard because you have so much more information access, even if the trainers and battles don't change at all, and exciting discovery can feel almost impossible. It's a lot easier to excel within your in person friend group than within the entire world.
But this is also ignoring a part of Pokemon which is central to it's design: interaction with other players. Sure, maybe you beating the Battle Frontier isn't special, but in a Pokemon Battle 99.9% of the time it comes out with one player defeating another. Now that doesn't mean the winning trainer is better than the losing trainer, but rather the winning trainer just had a better strategy going & luck for that battle. But if they battled again maybe the other trainer would win, or maybe that trainer just needs to change up something about their team, or maybe the winning trainer decides to change around their team. Infact, going back to beating the Battle Frontier "not" being special, the fact alone isn't special BUT what is special is possibly the Pokemon used to have won over the Battle Facilities. They could have used completely different Pokemon & strategies the other didn't think of or maybe thought wasn't good (or couldn't get working themselves). The statement should be "I defeated the Battle Tower" it should be "I defeated the Battle Tower WITH THESE POKEMON (and strategies)".

If GF's concern is attracting players than making the games easier isn't going to do it, but maybe focusing in on the interaction aspect of the franchise will. Now sure you can already just turn on the PokeTool in the game and have a random battle with someone, but that's not really engaging as you're just battling a random stranger. Rather, GF could do things like:
  • Make it so you can see other player's Hall of Fame teams and challenging a simulation of that team (or can check to see the player is on and challenge them to a friendly match).
  • Whenever you get a new Pokemon and you're thinking of a nickname show a list of nicknames other trainers have given that Pokemon (and maybe let players give thumbs up if they like some nicknames).
  • Have a sort of "community chest" where players can just leave a Pokemon or Item for another player to pick up, and if they do the player who left the Pokemon/item gets a reward in return like money/BP/rare item/whatever. I imagine they could even have a special one for the Pokemon Daycare for players to randomly get an Egg (aka tossing away your extra bred eggs once you got the Pokemon you want without having to spend the next hour hatching them just to release them).
  • Dyanamax Adventure's popularity shows player has an interest in multiplayer modes, so maybe implement a multiplayer mode in Battle Facilities. Tag Battles, Races, maybe have all trainers fought in the Battle Facility be other players.
  • Gen VII had a really good idea with the Festival Plaza Global Missions, they just botched the execution (in timing, goal, types of challenges, awards...). However the idea has merit and if they actually put some thought into it I think it could have people returning to play Pokemon more often if not a bit daily. Heck, maybe even create "Daily Challenges".
  • Another good idea which may not have reached its full potential was the WiFi Plaza in Gen IV. A theme park filled with multiplayer minigames is ripe to be expanded upon (not only in different kind of mini-games but also maybe different kind of locations aside from a theme park).
All sorts of minor and major ways to create a sense of community and interactivity.

remember when people though Silver was intricate and fleshed out?
While Silver may not be as complex as N or Gladion, I would say Silver has plenty of more depth to him than other characters and goes through a story arc that I would say fleshes him out.

Yes, please feel free to (dis)agree.
Let's not be petty now. I know temperaments can easily fly when you're arguing with someone with differing opinions but remember what you're talking about. AKA this isn't a political debate about a hot button topic affecting millions of lives, we're talking about a children's card game. Finland just saw the conversation was going in circles and kindly decided to bow out.

On another note
For what I've seen, this is so true for many people. Not for me, you are still a mess, X and Y.
Yeah, my opinions on XY hasn't changed either. REALLY needed Z version to expand on a few things (and Z version needed to be sequels not enhanced versions).

And while I can see people looking back more fondly on SM, I don't think USUM will look any better.

SwSh may be looked on more positively thanks for those playing later on having the DLC, but that doesn't fix problems with the base game so if anything it'll probably create mixed feelings.

I'm not sure Dynamax outside of Galar would be that immersion breaking. Eternatus's power may be localized in Galar, but Calyrex's blue glow suggests that Eternatus isn't the only way to Dynamax. They could easily explain it as the energy from some mysterious Pokemon who is said to sleep at the peak of Mt. Coronet (aka Arceus).
I think the issue would be more with how it would be implemented in the story and especially the Gym Challenge. Will they change the Gyms in Sinnoh to be like the Stadiums in Galar? Would the battle against the Gym Leader maybe take place in a Pokemon Den that are suddenly now in Sinnoh? Or would the Dynamax factor not be part of the Gym Challenge and more implemented as an afterthought for post game sort of like Mega Evolution in Gen VII.

I can see Pokémon starting to cycle gimmicks, as in, going back to them every once in a while.

I don't think Dynamax will make its way to Sinnoh. It's so entrenched in Galar's lore that taking it would remove the biggest part of its identity. (Yes, that pun was deliberate.)

Sinnoh would likely go back to Megas or have no blatant gimmick or a brand new one.

I also don't believe the Sinnoh games will interact with SwSh because of Dexit being "a mainstay" now according to GF's big dogs (Don't remember if it was Masuda or Ohmori who said that, pretty sure it was one of them.)

They may step back on this because of the backlash or persist because of DLC. (Mon updates are free, but they're still marketable)

It's really hard to predict what GF is cooking rn.

You guys have never played VGC where Dynamax is nearly universally loved and it shows. But this is to be expected on a site where single 6v6 battles are the norm. Its balance in VGC comes from, at least from what I can tell, is that most things tend to run some bulk on them and in a mode where moves that hit both opposing Pokemon as king, D-max moves being single target while the secondary effect affects both Pokemon, depending on what the effect is, is fairly balanced there. And even though those moves damage through protect, a very common move, it only does a quarter of the damage and while it still activates the secondary effects, most of the time those are secondary and those effects have had the effect of making switching a little more prevalent.
I wouldn’t say the whole community loves it. It’s very split- Half of the people love it, half hate it. It’s seems to be very clearly designed around Doubles. Look at Max Airstream. It’s very broken in Singles, since speed control like Trick Room and Tailwind are significantly harder to take advantage of, but in Doubles it’s a lot easier to set up.

Last edited:

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I want to add another great addition that only lived until the Sinnoh games and better PRAY the inevitable remakes include it: the Vs Seeker. It's a fun addition to battle any trainer whenever you want and a good training tool, only complaint is that it doesn't work in caves, indoors, etc. for some reason...
If they were willing to put the Trainer's Eyes rematch feature back into ORAS then I think there's a very good chance the Sinnoh remakes will have Vs. Seeker again. They've always tried to be as faithful to the originals as possible with the remakes when it comes to content like this, and even though they haven't done rematches in BW or XY, ORAS still had them, so I'm willing to bet it'll be back in the Sinnoh remakes whenever they come.

Sinnoh would likely go back to Megas or have no blatant gimmick or a brand new one.
Considering the currently existing Megas still have their data in Pokemon Home, the door is always open for them to bring back Megas at any time whenever they feel like they want to incorporate them back in. Plus, not only does TPC evidently absolutely love Mega Evolution (it's super marketable, and a very popular mechanic even to this day), plus the high fan demand for Megas to return, I think there's always the chance that Megas will be back.

Also Sinnoh is pretty close in proximity to Hoenn and Kanto which already have known incorporation of Mega Evolution if ORAS and LGPE are any indication. There's also rumors/speculation of a Let's Go Johto game happening sometime in the future which would also be a divine opportunity to bring back Mega Evolutions. I see no reason why Sinnoh wouldn't feasibly have Megas in that case. Mega Evolution is easily spreadable too, considering it's not necessarily *in* Alola but you can get it post-game there because two people from Kalos give you a Key Stone and the Mega Stones themselves can be carried across regions (same can't be said about Dynamax). I'm not saying Megas *will* return in Sinnoh, but it's feasible.

Megas are too beloved and iconic of a feature in Pokemon at this point to ditch permanently, and they're very marketable which is also a plus for them.

I also don't believe the Sinnoh games will interact with SwSh because of Dexit being "a mainstay" now according to GF's big dogs (Don't remember if it was Masuda or Ohmori who said that, pretty sure it was one of them.)
Maybe they will be able to but with limitations. If nothing else, they could make it so you can transfer Pokemon between Sinnoh games and SwSh through HOME or through trade. If the Regis in particular aren't catchable in Sword and Shield then we'll need that transfer mechanic to be able to get Regigigas in the remakes.

SwSh may be looked on more positively thanks for those playing later on having the DLC, but that doesn't fix problems with the base game so if anything it'll probably create mixed feelings.
Yeah that's the main downside with DLC over enhanced versions. It's more consumer friendly for sure, but when you look at Platinum or USUM, for example, they made changes to the Sinnoh and Alola regions and changed things up to make a somewhat different experience: even the main journey has changes and differences. Sword and Shield's DLC doesn't change up the base game at all: it "adds to" the experience, so mainland Galar is still the same as it was in the base game (and also the design flaws with it are still there and not changed up at all). Third versions don't just add to the games, they change up the base experience quite a lot and the regions themselves gets plenty of aesthetic changes.

If they do end up doing DLC again in the future, either the base game has to be really, really good from the get-go and as good as a third version, or they have to implement DLC in such a way that they can add changes to the base experience.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)