Smogoff CAP - Next Phase TBC (current progress in post #506)

would you like to do a stats stage (don't be a dick and vote for both yes and no)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
- what is a good typing for a horsemon? what about ability?

- what should the horse do in the meta? (nb: there's absolutely zero chance this thing gets coded into showdown so this is purely hypothetical)

- do we want our horse to be similar to or different from current horses?
All I can say is that the Ground type would give horse STAB on High Horsepower. As for abilities, recently Game Freak has established a trend of giving horse-specific neigh abilities so that's something to keep in mind.

Horses in real life are known for their superior movement capabilities and cavalry charges, so I envision an offensive role like a pivot or sweeper.

The Horse could end up similar to the current horses in terms of general stat spread, but our primary goal shouldn't be to make a derivative of another horse.

Do the other Swords of Justice count as horses?

Most horses so far fulfil a bulky offensive niche, so the primary question to ask is, do we want to buck that trend. A reliable workhorse with longevity might not be the most flashy pony, but it should kick up some dirt in the current metagame (You're fired. Ed.)

The other thing to consider is how much we want our horse to support the mono-horse archetype. Let's face it, Zebstrika is not good, and the mono-horse build has an unfortunate weakness to Flying types as a result. Water types also hurt mono-horse a lot, so should we try and shore up these weaknesses?

zxgzxg

scrabble
is a Forum Moderator
Notice all the horses TC listed. They're all described as a "_____ horse", a horse with some kind of gimmick. Would it really be original for us to make another ___ horse? I think we should stick with a plain ol' horse. No elemental association, no special properties, just a simple horse. I feel it would be a refreshing for the horse meta to have just a good ol' reliable horse.

I feel like this concept is going a bit to slow, we should consider making the typing vote sooner, Its clear that a normal horse is the best way to go.

Also April fools is in like 6 weeks from now on and it would be the perfect opportunity to release the horse

Nah, we need more...creativity. We can’t just have a plain old horse. You guys need to remember that’s this is Pokémon, no Pokémon is just plain, there must something special about them (excluding normal types). I am not voting for normal horse

one of the most important questions to answer here, as put forth in the original concept, is if our horse should be good or evil. I believe the horse should be good.

frankly, most of the existing horses are morally neutral, at best. the only one that stands out as definitively good to me is keldeo (which was one of the best horses for a long time). the most evil horse was spectrier and we all know how that one went. I just don't think that making an evil horse will lead to an end product that we can be proud of.

with respect to typing, dark and ghost are morally evil so they should be ruled out. bug and poison are more debatable but I would argue that they're also evil. lastly, I don't think we should be the same type as any existing horse, because every horse is unique. the rest of the typings are all conceivable options for us.
I think we should have a really evil horse. What about the kelpie? Kelpies are really cool, and I don't think we have a Pokemon based on that. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelpie

Let's have a horse that tricks unsuspecting trainers into riding it, then takes them to the bottom of the lake, drowns them and eats them. Maybe Water/Dark for the typing

Nah, we need more...creativity. We can’t just have a plain old horse. You guys need to remember that’s this is Pokémon, no Pokémon is just plain, there must something special about them (excluding normal types). I am not voting for normal horse
Why, are you really scared of Normal horse? Are you weak? Do you fear being kidnapped by a horse while on a school trip? (okay I can forgive you this last one since it actually happened to me)

Why, are you really scared of Normal horse? Are you weak? Do you fear being kidnapped by a horse while on a school trip (okay I can forgive this last one since it actually happened to me)
No, it’s just that normal animals in Pokémon make no sense at all. Every Pokémon at least has one quirk.

Before we consider what role CAP1 needs to have, we have to pay attention to the current state of monohorse as a playstyle.

Horse hyper offense is the most viable monohorse build in the current meta, and goes something like this:
:rapidash_galar: Screens + HW
:mudsdale: Rocks lead
:kingdra: :keldeo: :glastrier: :seadra: Setup sweepers and cleaners

The problems on display should be obvious: Mudsdale is a horrible rocker, Speed tiers are nothing special without rain up, and Seadra contributes nothing aside from being better than Ponyta, I guess. While we can't remedy all of these, the immediate solution is obvious: an incredibly fast horse that can cover the offensive backbone's weaknesses.

Because this team struggles with bulky Water resists, something that beats them would be very appreciated. The ideal typing would be Electric/Flying: it handles most relevant Water resists, benefits from rain on both STABs, covers quite a few defensive weaknesses (especially crucial against Rillaboom) and is immune to Webs for good measure.

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
horses are special, but they can be even more special if we make them have some quirks. And besides Normal is ass.

i do not support normal horse
yes we know

I'm down for normal horse tho

I think we should have a really evil horse. What about the kelpie? Kelpies are really cool, and I don't think we have a Pokemon based on that. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelpie

Let's have a horse that tricks unsuspecting trainers into riding it, then takes them to the bottom of the lake, drowns them and eats them. Maybe Water/Dark for the typing

so like this from this thread?

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Horse sounds like Hoarse. This means we should make this CAP be a Boomburst user, as Boomburst is loud, and loud stuff makes your throat hurt, or be hoarse. This means we should make it a Normal Type so it can use moves like Hyper Voice. Another loud thing is Sparkling Aria, but that's nice not Hoarse. Instead we should make it an Electric type ot use Overdrive. This way it will be a very hoarse horse. I have attached a picture.
1613854162937.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)