Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl - Release 19th Nov 2021

As angry as some people can get about the art style, some fans and youtubers (shofu comes to mind) was asking for a style EXACTLY like this because he hated the SWSH format. Sometimes we forget in our little bubbles how big and varied our opinions and wants really are; for some this is a dream come true, and for others, its a living nightmare, kinda fascinating to see it all play out.
I'd point that (as I've stated a few times) the issue isn't tecnically the artstyle.
One can like or not like the chibized style (I like it, personally), the main reason for people being angery at it is that from the few bits of trailer we've seen, it's of very poor quality.

Let's Go more or less did the chibized artstyle with 1:1 map recreation very well.
This one so far... not so much.

Obviously this (like Arceus Legends) is early footage, might be improved by the end.
Or at very least, I hope it is, because I'm not fond of watching hats with feet.

Bare in mind I'm one of those that will actually buy this regardless since gen 4 is the only gen I haven't played in some way and ( *flings a cookie at Pikachu315111 *, don't worry i still love you) I'd rather spend 60 bucks on this than buy a DS + the originals or even look for emulated versions because I am that lazy, and I would like getting something a bit better than what's shown, even though I am actually in favour of both the 1:1 recreation and the artstyle chosen.

By emulating a Pokémon game you miss on certain experiences (and make others harder, such as wanting to take on the Battle Frontier). It might be the superior game, but emulated Platinum is not the better experience.
emulating a game just feels less special. I did it for the gen 1, 2 and 3 games (cuz I don't have a Gameboy) and just use speed up to be done with it in no time. playing on a console just feels better and more rewarding/motivating. I just hope people who never played gen 4 will like the remakes cuz gen 4 is really fun. personally i'm more hyped for legends

Just to rattle off a bunch of ways they could excuse Dynamax:-

- Sinnoh just so happens to also be a place where Power Spots are found
- Dynamaxing is only found naturally in Galar, but this professor was able to somehow make it portable so you can do it whenever you want
- "Wow, Champion! A Power Spot just opened up in Hearthome, right after you won the league! How mysterious!"
- It's multiplayer only
- They just don't really bother and chuck a Dynamax band at you post-game

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
... So, what I'm being told here, is that I can take my original Diamond version, replay it, and I would get the SAME. EXACT. EXPERIENCE. As I would playing these "remakes"...
No, it means it's being faithful to the original game's story and structure, like all remakes are for the most part. HGSS and FRLG were as faithful as you can get to the original games, and as said in a previous post, it would naturally integrate quality of life features that have been added in recent generation, there are new moves, TMs are infinite use, etc.

Granted, it's also somewhat of a lose-lose situation. When you look at the other hand, ORAS while faithful for the most part took some extreme liberties with its story to tie it to Kalos and there were a lot of older fans who didn't like ORAS because of that. I can understand the apprehension about BDSP being described as very faithful to the originals though: change too little, and there could be less of an incentive to buy it. But I don't think that will necessarily be the case. There's also the potential issue where ORAS dumbed down some of the dungeons, which if BDSP is intended to be faithful, then Sinnoh's dungeons won't have to suffer that same fate that some of ORAS's dungeons did (mind you, HGSS actually took the dungeons of Johto and Kanto and made them even better, making ORAS dumbing down dungeons even more of a slap in the face).

Now, I suppose for NEW players this could be their first experience playing Diamond & Pearl. And so for them:
  1. GO TO AMAZON/EBAY/YOUR LOCAL GAME STORE/WHATEVER
  2. BUY A CHEAP DS/DS LITE/3DS/2DS/WHATEVER
  3. BUY PLATINUM VERSION AND PLAY THAT!
The problem is that Platinum cartridges are insanely expensive now and cost well over 100 dollars from the majority of sellers. Not many people are willing to invest that much money into a game, especially a game like Pokemon because while Platinum may be a great game, it is most definitely not worth paying over 100 dollars, in some cases 200 even, just to get a cartridge of it. And not everyone is willing to pay that much, and for kids, parents are not going to buy an old game for them because that notion is frowned upon unless you're a collector or a more serious video game enjoyer.

Yes, you're paying 60 to buy the remakes, but that's still less than the over 100 bucks you're spending for Platinum *and* the cost to buy a used DS/3DS system. Especially if there are no other DS games you are interested in outside of Platinum. It's already debatable whether stuff like Let's Go and Sword and Shield are worth 60 bucks, and in that case, a used cartridge of Platinum is even less justifiable for over 100, regardless of how good it is. Platinum cost around 35 bucks when it came out, why would anyone buy it for well over that price?

Moreover, it's also incredibly difficult to find authentic cartridges of Platinum and other Gen 4 games nowadays. A big problem with shopping for older Pokemon games nowadays is the issue of bootleg/counterfeit cartridges of Pokemon games being everywhere on the market, you literally have to meticulously search through things to ensure that the seller you're buying from gives you a genuine, authentic cartridge of the game and not some cheap knock-off that doesn't even function as it should, in which case good job, you got ripped off. There's an issue of trust with sellers and you can't necessarily trust your seller to give you an authentic cart when there's a very good chance the seller is distributing repro/counterfeit cartridges.

Well, I guess if getting a DS and Platinum version is out of the question (as well as just downloading a ROM)... just watch a playthrough. I highly suggest Chuggaaconroy's or, if you want a Nuzlocke, TeamFourStar's playthrough.
Watching a playthrough of a game is not the same experience as actually playing the game. Now if you're not necessarily interested in actually playing the game and just want to see what happens in the game, that's a fine way to do it. But don't act like watching a game and playing the game are the same experience. The charm to a Pokemon game especially is that it's also your adventure: you are experiencing the game and the adventure the game has to give, you pick your starter and the Pokemon you use throughout, and they become your cherished team and partners, and later on there's also online interactivity, and especially with DP having a lot of that with Underground and of course, online PvP battles. With older games having Wi-Fi long since dead, people who are in it for the online interaction that was a huge part of DPP's charm will have to resort to the remakes because the original DPP cannot do that anymore. And of course, watching a playthrough means you will never get to experience that part. The charm is that the experience is your own, and your experience with the game will always be different from everyone else's. That is not something you can get from watching someone else play the game.

Just to rattle off a bunch of ways they could excuse Dynamax:-

- Sinnoh just so happens to also be a place where Power Spots are found
- Dynamaxing is only found naturally in Galar, but this professor was able to somehow make it portable so you can do it whenever you want
- "Wow, Champion! A Power Spot just opened up in Hearthome, right after you won the league! How mysterious!"
- It's multiplayer only
- They just don't really bother and chuck a Dynamax band at you post-game
We'll see what happens of course, but yeah it wouldn't surprise me at all if they find some ways to incorporate Dynamax in BDSP...if they so wish, that is, but we know so little so far that there isn't much we can assume...yet.

Of course, maybe they will also attack Dynamax lore to Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina in some way, if it's included in BDSP.

People keep saying this but I dont recall them ever saying this; I know it was discovered in Kalos but I cant remember them saying the stones were only found there at all
Professor Sycamore mentioned it in an off-hand dialogue once I think in Couriway or something, where he was like "Why does Mega Evolution only happen in Kalos?", meaning he didn't know that Hoenn had instances of Mega Stones being found there. It was a pretty small tidbit of dialogue, and X and Y were pretty forgettable in terms of story, so I don't blame you for not noticing.

Stupid! STUPID! STUPID! STUPID
L M A O

Let's be real here, playing DP is *rough*. Platinum is far better, but it's also a slow game. There are engine issues in Gen 4.

So far, too little footage was shown for us to know for sure that some of the Platinum fixes were implemented.

The biggest draw of the remakes are that from the jump, we already know that the engine issues that plague Gen 4 are gone. There are also other boons like better sound quality, QoL stuff like Portable PC, Reusable TMs and the like.

If they expand the Sinnoh Dex like Platinum did that's already an unique experience.

I really hope that they add something interesting to the postgame.
Imagine that, suddenly, an employee decides to "copypaste" Platinum Battle Frontier. 0 changes. Copy and paste. Exactly the same. Same text lines. Same everything.

It'd be lazy af, right? Yes, it'd be, but at that exact moment, that lazy decision would make the best PostGame any Pokémon has had in the entirety of 3DS era. Why isn't that a reality already? We don't know, and we will never know.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Imagine that, suddenly, an employee decides to "copypaste" Platinum Battle Frontier. 0 changes. Copy and paste. Exactly the same. Same text lines. Same everything.

It'd be lazy af, right? Yes, it'd be, but at that exact moment, that lazy decision would make the best PostGame any Pokémon has had in the entirety of 3DS era. Why isn't that a reality already? We don't know, and we will never know.
It wouldn't even be that lazy because you're also readjusting it to fit the Switch engine and making it look as it did back then.

If nothing else, it would be seen as very faithful and true to the original Platinum Frontier. People probably wouldn't care that it's copypasted to the bone and they would just be happy it's even there in the first place, especially when the original Platinum Battle Frontier was already great as it is.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I feel like there's a good 30-50% chance these games won't have any added mechanics like Megas or Dynamax at all. Strikes me as something they'd wanna advertise early on, especially the former for its popularity.

While there were a couple of small sneak peaks before this, this was the first big ORAS game trailer as far as I can tell and I mean... c'mon. Mega Diancie is literally in the thumbnail! It's also worth noting that those sneak peaks I mentioned actually showed Primal Groudon/Kyogre pretty much immediately although no specific info was relinquished.

Meanwhile the one official render of Palkia/Dialga with the titles we've gotten haven't shown them with any shiny new form, which if they did I don't see why they would hold off since again, it would be marketing gud.

Now, none of this means that BDSP are literally just going to be DP/Platinum HD with 0 alterations whatsoever. FRLG and HGSS are right there, they're perfectly capable of making remakes with new content and stuff without any of these battle gimmicks. I really don't see why they'd suddenly go full puritan mode when even Let's Go, another game Masuda directed btw, also had multiple of its own changes ranging from boss design revisions to encounter tables to story and such. Tl;dr just calm down Pikachu315111 everything's gonna be aight lol

I feel like there's a good 30-50% chance these games won't have any added mechanics like Megas or Dynamax at all. Strikes me as something they'd wanna advertise early on, especially the former for its popularity.

While there were a couple of small sneak peaks before this, this was the first big ORAS game trailer as far as I can tell and I mean... c'mon. Mega Diancie is literally in the thumbnail! It's also worth noting that those sneak peaks I mentioned actually showed Primal Groudon/Kyogre pretty much immediately although no specific info was relinquished.

Meanwhile the one official render of Palkia/Dialga with the titles we've gotten haven't shown them with any shiny new form, which if they did I don't see why they would hold off since again, it would be marketing gud.

Now, none of this means that BDSP are literally just going to be DP/Platinum HD with 0 alterations whatsoever. FRLG and HGSS are right there, they're perfectly capable of making remakes with new content and stuff without any of these battle gimmicks. I really don't see why they'd suddenly go full puritan mode when even Let's Go, another game Masuda directed btw, also had multiple of its own changes ranging from boss design revisions to encounter tables to story and such. Tl;dr just calm down Pikachu315111 everything's gonna be aight lol
For what it's worth Mega Evolution was held off from being shown in Let's Go until August

It wouldn't even be that lazy because you're also readjusting it to fit the Switch engine and making it look as it did back then.
That's the bare minimum. Not lazy would be also improving it, seeing as how they are selling again a game limited by a NDS cartridge in Switch hardware at full price. Ultimately, in this case, lazy does not equal bad. I'd be good for sure.

If nothing else, it would be seen as very faithful and true to the original Platinum Frontier. People probably wouldn't care that it's copypasted to the bone and they would just be happy it's even there in the first place, especially when the original Platinum Battle Frontier was already great as it is.
I agree, and I'd be happy. But let's be careful with the faithful and true to the original argument, because that's the very same reason that allows them to justifiy the abscense of Battle Frontier in ORAS. It's not a matter of reselling DP again, it's a matter of keeping the esential core of the games while adding substantial improvements, the Battle Frontier being one of them, existing in all Pokémon interations on IV Gen but Diamond and Pearl.

But it also means they have an easy "wow! megas are back!" mid pre-release cycle excitment press point by holding off on showing it
So to go back to this some more

If the remake is fairly straight laced then all they really have to show for the next eh...what...9 months probably? Is stuff we already seen & know. We'll see the region again, we'll get profiles and new art of the charactesr, tehy'll reintroduce some of sinnoh's stuff like the contests and so on. But there wouldn't be much new to entice folks and get people talking as much.
It makes a lot of sense to hold back on something major like megas from the initial reveal because it means they can generate some buzz later on. Same applies to anything else that might be new.

Assuming there is any significant new/returning content, of course. Always possible we're just in for a dull 9 months.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)