Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Ok, thank you!!
I actually thought Swamp maybe nice as it could rocks, but looks like the OG Poké outclasses it.
rocks are generally more used on either clefable or blissey. clefable also supports stall well with rocks or aromatherapy, and can be hard to wear down with magic guard or stop setup sweepers with unaware

Katy

Banned deucer.
Is it ever worth it to run hasty or naive on physical pivot Zeraora?
No. You still want to go for Jolly as naive / hasty makes it less effective as a pivot, as you will miss out on crucial defensive assets. Jolly or alternatively Adamant are the nature of choices for physical Zeraora carry Volt Switch. As Volt Switch in combination with Knock Off or Toxic is enough to wear down opposing Pokemon altogether, so you don't need a slightly increased damage output with Volt Switch.

Can someone explain the concept of speed control to me? I hear it thrown around a lot, especially when Dragapult is being discussed, but I don't really know what it means. Is it just that Dragapult's fast speed puts pressure on the opponent's fast mons?

Can someone explain the concept of speed control to me? I hear it thrown around a lot, especially when Dragapult is being discussed, but I don't really know what it means. Is it just that Dragapult's fast speed puts pressure on the opponent's fast mons?
Speed control is basically your team’s way of offensively checking and outspeeding most of the metagame. It can be something naturally fast like Dragapult or Weavile, something with priority like Rilla or Scizor, and a scarfer like Scarf Lando or Fini. It’s usually important to have speed control cause breakers like Kyurem and NP Torn can be an issue otherwise.

Speed control is essentially how your team deals with fast mons. Dragapult is an excellent example of the term, as its high speed means that it outspeeds practically everything in the meta bar zeraora and scarfers and its power lets it easily deal with anything slower than it. Other examples include paralysis and priority.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Adding to the above things, it also encompasses things like T-Wave, Trick Room and Sticky Web if you wanted to be petty about including everything, which can slow fastmons down to a point where they are manageable (tho Webs is pretty worthless atm 'cuz most scarfless fastmons either carry Boots or are immune regardless/not prone to being Knocked) as well as WeatherSpeed 'mons, Hawlucha, and I guess Tailwind if you want to be petty about including everything that let you beat them situationally (Sand often doesn't have much speed control beyond Excadrill/Dracozolt, for instance, and Hawlucha is the whole reason HO can compete vs a lot of naturally fast 'mons and Scarf users). The general idea is just ways of moving first vs fastmons and (typically +1 Spe) setup sweepers without the attacker first needing to take a hit to attack or set itself up.

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor
Adding to the above things, it also encompasses things like T-Wave, Trick Room and Sticky Web if you wanted to be petty about including everything, which can slow fastmons down to a point where they are manageable (tho Webs is pretty worthless atm 'cuz most scarfless fastmons either carry Boots or are immune regardless/not prone to being Knocked) as well as WeatherSpeed 'mons, Hawlucha, and I guess Tailwind if you want to be petty about including everything that let you beat them situationally (Sand often doesn't have much speed control beyond Excadrill/Dracozolt, for instance, and Hawlucha is the whole reason HO can compete vs a lot of naturally fast 'mons and Scarf users). The general idea is just ways of moving first vs fastmons and (typically +1 Spe) setup sweepers without the attacker first needing to take a hit to attack or set itself up.
Tailwind is another similar means of speed control, although it sucks in singles. In doubles formats, Tailwind is often used as a form of speed control.

Hi! I'm a new player to Competitive Pokémon, and have been wanting to play for quite a while. I've been frequenting the forums for months at this point, and really I just have a few big questions. Where do I go to actually get a good understanding of a metagame, what resources are there to help people get into a specific tier, and understand what is happening inside matches?

I'm not someone who enjoys taking the "Trial by Fire" approach. I'm not just gonna start playing without understanding what is happening in an given match. Where do I go for help?

Light Sanctity

The Usurper
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Hi! I'm a new player to Competitive Pokémon, and have been wanting to play for quite a while. I've been frequenting the forums for months at this point, and really I just have a few big questions. Where do I go to actually get a good understanding of a metagame, what resources are there to help people get into a specific tier, and understand what is happening inside matches?

I'm not someone who enjoys taking the "Trial by Fire" approach. I'm not just gonna start playing without understanding what is happening in an given match. Where do I go for help?
Hi! If you wish to get more experience I would recommend joining the respective discord servers, which can be found here, this has all of the Smogon-related servers' and depending on which one you are interested in can get you into contact with other players. This way you can receive real-time feedback on any questions / concerns you may have.

Katy

Banned deucer.
What is the differences between balance and bulky offense team?
Balance is a Team based around dealing with most Pokemon in the metagame with relying on a heavy defensive synergy, but it can also contain some breakers; as example Reuniclus with a Calm Mind or Double Dance set can find itself in a balanced oriented teamstyle.

Bulky Offense goes more straightforward in the means of being offensive, and focuses on defensive synergy while still being pretty offensive with a lot of pivoting such as VoltTorn-cores: typical Pokemon you will find there are as example Landorus-T, Dragapult, Slowking, Tapu Koko, Zeraora and other Pokemon such as Heatran, Garchomp, Tapu Lele, as well as Scizor.

The difference in overall between Balance and Bulky Offense is, that Balance is heavily focused on defensive synergy with 1 or 2 breakers, whereas Bulky Offense goes more straight into the offensive aspect with pivoting, and also some hard hitters for the mid- and late-game aspect.

shadowpea

everyone is lonely sometimes
is a Tiering Contributor
Double posting cuz I have a question of my own:

What were people's initial reactions to Clefable when XY was new, how did people pick it up, and how did it rise in prominance to be the greatest pokemon in the meta? I'm genuinely curious so please excuse me if the question is a bit off-topic or if its not a "simple question" (or I should just ask it at RoA instead).

Its kinda funny what a "simple" type change and "tiny" stat buff can do to a Pokemon.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Double posting cuz I have a question of my own:

What were people's initial reactions to Clefable when XY was new, how did people pick it up, and how did it rise in prominance to be the greatest pokemon in the meta? I'm genuinely curious so please excuse me if the question is a bit off-topic or if its not a "simple question" (or I should just ask it at RoA instead).

Its kinda funny what a "simple" type change and "tiny" stat buff can do to a Pokemon.
Moonblast, Thunder Wave, Softboiled, Calm Mind won games by itself, to make a very long story of the tier and history of Clefable post Aegislash ban short.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)