Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Deleted User 465389

Banned deucer.
Double posting cuz I have a question of my own:

What were people's initial reactions to Clefable when XY was new, how did people pick it up, and how did it rise in prominance to be the greatest pokemon in the meta? I'm genuinely curious so please excuse me if the question is a bit off-topic or if its not a "simple question" (or I should just ask it at RoA instead).

Its kinda funny what a "simple" type change and "tiny" stat buff can do to a Pokemon.
Adding onto what AM said, here’s an article explaining Clefable’s rise to the top in gen 6 OU. It’s pretty old, but it should start as a good starting point. If you have any questions after that, the ruins of alph discord would be happy to answer them, if you put them in the gen 6 discussion part of the server.

Last edited:

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
I just encountered a Clefable that survived my Zam's psychic after nasty plot. Does Clefable run specially defensive spread these days or was that just a one time thing?

Also, ignore this question if it's not allowed. What do you guys do to not tilt in this game?

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
I just encountered a Clefable that survived my Zam's psychic after nasty plot. Does Clefable run specially defensive spread these days or was that just a one time thing?
Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 140 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk

This is what I run; SDef in general is very viable right now, but it runs a variety of spreads.

Also, ignore this question if it's not allowed. What do you guys do to not tilt in this game?
Plenty of people tilt!

Light Sanctity

The Usurper
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
True but I wanna know how people avoid it, or how they minimize tilting. I legit uninstalled showdown from my laptop after the rng was being the rng
My biggest advice is to take a break from it and come back with a clearer head. If you just go hard at it, it will in my opinion make you not want to play anymore. Also, Hax is just something that happens. Like for me I been trying the NatDexOU suspect test (having shit luck) but I do it only for a little while and come back later.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, I can't really overstate the importance of taking regular breaks while playing or even just not playing for a week or two every so often. Sometimes you just need to give yourself time to reset for whatever improvements you've made to become apparent.

Regarding the perception of bad luck when tilting: something that helps me keep bad luck in perspective is to just keep in mind the fact that you always remember the times that luck went against you but never the times it went in your favour. Most of the time, if you think bad luck is having a large impact on your games, it means other aspects of your game are off and you need to take a break—creating your own luck and having backup plans in case something out of your control goes wrong are fundamental game skills that I think a lot of ppl overlook, and you will manage it poorly if you are bringing your C-game as opposed to your A-game, with the resultant frustration causing a tilt cycle.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Quick question, I was just playing singles ranked and faced a Drifblim that outsped my team of zacian-c/garchomp/rillaboom (the first two Max’d in speed) trainer didn’t let me see their team after the battle, but it basically just spammed strength sap/will o wisp/hex and went first every single turn, how is this possible????
One of its abilities is Unburden

How good is sun as a playstyle in this meta? I'm very low ladder (1000-1100) and want to try it. Also, is Leafeon a viable Chlorophyll user? It seems like it has usable stats, but its movepool might hold it back somewhat.

Katy

Banned deucer.
How good is sun as a playstyle in this meta? I'm very low ladder (1000-1100) and want to try it. Also, is Leafeon a viable Chlorophyll user? It seems like it has usable stats, but its movepool might hold it back somewhat.
Sun isn't really good right now in the current metagame, but if you do look out for an effective Chlorophyll abuser, you should rather use Venusaur, as it has a secondary typing, great SpA-stat and the coverage to break through most its checks.

Earth Power can help versus Heatran, Weather Ball turns into a Fire-type move and can help against Corviknight, whereas its Dual-STAB Giga Drain and Sludge Bomb are great in general.

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Growth
- Giga Drain
- Weather Ball
- Sludge Bomb / Earth Power

This could be its Set: Growth under sun gives you also a +2, which turns Venusaur into a threatening lategame-cleaner.

But in general Sun-oriented teams struggle right now and putting Leafeon on it makes it even less effective, as Leafeon in itself isn't a viable Pokemon in OU. If you aim to use Sun you should always try to figure out the most effective setters and abusers for this team.

Teammates could be: Heatran, Garchomp, Torkoal, Volcarona, Hatterene, Landorus-Therian

Sun isn't really good right now in the current metagame, but if you do look out for an effective Chlorophyll abuser, you should rather use Venusaur, as it has a secondary typing, great SpA-stat and the coverage to break through most its checks.
Thanks for the advice. I was mostly looking for an excuse to use Leafeon because it's my favorite Pokémon, but that's fine.
Apparently Leafeon might be good in PU (or at least it was good in Gen 6/7 PU), so I'll try something there.

Hello, I was wondering what are the differences between Tyranitar and Hippowdon and on what type of sand teams are they used as setters. What are there pros and cons and such.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Hello, I was wondering what are the differences between Tyranitar and Hippowdon and on what type of sand teams are they used as setters. What are there pros and cons and such.
Tyranitar is able to resist crucial typings like Ghost and Fire while also having a wider array of offensive and status options, but it relies on Rest for recovery. Hippowdon provides an electric immunity, had reliable recovery, and superior natural physical bulk, but loses the Sand SDef boost to hurt on that end and lacks the aforementioned resistances.

Tyranitar is able to resist crucial typings like Ghost and Fire while also having a wider array of offensive and status options, but it relies on Rest for recovery. Hippowdon provides an electric immunity, had reliable recovery, and superior natural physical bulk, but loses the Sand SDef boost to hurt on that end and lacks the aforementioned resistances.
Do you also know some generally good pokemon for sand teams?

Why is Pyukumuku not ranked? I know stall is niche but to me it seems like not much has changed for it since the previous Gen where it was used on variety of stall teams.
Very passive, if u have taunt pyukumuku is dead, clef for example offers utility like hazard, an actual offensive pressence too

Why don't recent generations including gen 8 allow dry passing? I understand that simplicity of ruleset is sometimes viewed as important, but seeing how complicated the BW and ADV rules are, allowing dry passing (which theoretically has no potential for abuse) seems a lot more clear-cut. I know there aren't really a ton of potential users, but there are some, and I guess I just don't understand why simplicity seems to not matter for those old gens but it's vital for this one.

Is it just that the implementation is complicated? I understand that there's a gray area with moves with percent chance stat raises, but you could literally just ban Baton Pass + any move that even gives a chance at a stat raise. Or whatever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)