Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
If I were to use Amoongus, should I go Max HP Max Defense? Or do I need a bit of bulk in the SpD side too?
It depends on the team.

It is cool to pimp out the PDef for a couple of reasons such as:

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Kartana Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 244+ Def Amoonguss: 320-377 (74.2 - 87.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

or even

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Kartana Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 128+ Def Amoonguss: 365-430 (84.6 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

But special bulk could allow for pivoting into Aegislash, Specs Dragapult, LO Clefable, and mixed Dracozolt. It depends on the needs of your team ultimately!

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
If I lose to a three attacks Porygon2 and an Iron Defense Rachi the next game on ladder. Should I reconsider my life choices?
No, just keep playing and try out new teams, combinations, etc.

If you ever need team support, we have people who can help on PS, Discord, and Smogon any time. It is just a game, so try to have fun with it and work to improve instead of anything silly!

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
If I lose to a three attacks Porygon2 and an Iron Defense Rachi the next game on ladder. Should I reconsider my life choices?
Nahh. That's the downside to all these bans. Everybody is using random shit. That's why I like the times when the broken mons were still around as it was much simpler. Just find your own random shit and use it to surprise your opponents. Even I was forced to do that when I keep running into stupid mons like Aegislash, Blaziken and Galarian Zapdos

Deleted User 465389

Banned deucer.
Nahh. That's the downside to all these bans. Everybody is using random shit. That's why I like the times when the broken mons were still around as it was much simpler. Just find your own random shit and use it to surprise your opponents. Even I was forced to do that when I keep running into stupid mons like Aegislash, Blaziken and Galarian Zapdos
???
The metagame being ‘simpler’ isn’t a good argument for not banning mons. It might’ve been ‘simpler’ to put seismitoad on every team when dracovish was around, but that doesn’t mean that banning dracovish was a bad thing, or had downsides.
(edit: sorry, got a bit carried away with this post)

Last edited:

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
???
The metagame being ‘simpler’ isn’t a good argument for not banning mons. It might’ve been ‘simpler’ to put seismitoad on every team when dracovish was around, but that doesn’t mean that banning dracovish was a bad thing, or had downsides.

Healthy metagames don’t have a lot of overcenterlizing mons(genesect, dracovish, galarian darmanitan), and a diverse set of viable pokemon is a good thing.

Good teams have cores and cover their weaknesses, which prevents them from losing to 6 random mons.
(also i believe that bans are a good thing, don’t want the first sentence to make people think I’m anti-ban or something)
Have I ever mentioned that I don't want mons banned?

Is it allowed for re-posting ur nomination on VR which u already posted just because other players or council members could suggest their opinions on it?

I wouldn’t do it twice before an update but if you feel the same after an update, you can post something similar again if you wish and it follows the rules!
I'd also add that I don't see the problem of posting again if you feel that metagame shifts have changed the pokemon's viability significantly (and a decent amount of time has passed, lol)
Ty both of u. This helps:psyglad:

Becauss of NP Torn, I had more trouble splashing Pex on teams over Slowking since it has a better mu vs NP Torn and also Kyurem. Plus it can at least Port out into a check like Weavile. +2 Hurricanes 2HKO even SpD Pex variants. I also have trouble using Pex over Slowbro since I would be better off having a better mu vs SD Lando/Chomp/Drill. I’ve even used Pert over Pex more frequently since It has a way better mu vs Tran, Koko, and Zera. Not sure what Pex checks/counters in the current meta that the others don’t. Could you explain this to me?

Becauss of NP Torn, I had more trouble splashing Pex on teams over Slowking since it has a better mu vs NP Torn and also Kyurem. Plus it can at least Port out into a check like Weavile. +2 Hurricanes 2HKO even SpD Pex variants. I also have trouble using Pex over Slowbro since I would be better off having a better mu vs SD Lando/Chomp/Drill. I’ve even used Pert over Pex more frequently since It has a way better mu vs Tran, Koko, and Zera. Not sure what Pex checks/counters in the current meta that the others don’t. Could you explain this to me?
This is my main problem with Pex atm. Others seem stuck on how Pex is supposed to be "brainless" and "unkillable" but atm it doesn't really have too much direction, since all the powerful fire, fighting, fairy, and bug types have all been banned and the remaining ones have methods of easily circumventing pex.

However, pex does fill some miscellaneous roles at the moment, so it is a nice check to the following:
  • Dragapult (specs electric move just get regened out)
  • Torn (w/ haze)
  • SD LO Rillaboom (only phsydef pexes)
  • Banded Melmetal (check to non-band)
  • Aegislash
  • Weavile
  • Blacephalon
  • Blaziken
  • Zapdos-Galar
  • Dragonite (check)
  • Urshifu-Rapid
As you can see, much of what Pex is geared towards nowadays is lower-tier stuff. Personally, I'm quite liking Specially Defensive Pex more than Physdef, just due to the fact that most of what it's going up against is special, and it can wall things like Banded Weavile and Watershifu without any phsydef investment. Most of the time tho, it's probably best used on stall/bulkier teams, since Slowking does wall every common special threat it does beside Dragapult. Many of the above breakers (such as Pult, Blace, Aegislash, Torn, and Weavile) tend to be headaches for stall teams, and stall teams generally appreciate its ability to comfortably take upwards of 80% and knock something off. If your stall team really sucks against Tran, I guess you could kinda use shed shell

Why does scarf Lando run 12 defense?
IIRC, the spread outruns Excadrill at +1 Speed (after a Rapid Spin), there are a leftovers EV that when used in defense allows it to almost avoid 2HKO from Kartana's Leaf Blade at -1.

-1 252 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 12 Def Landorus-Therian: 135-160 (42.3 - 50.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Why does scarf Lando run 12 defense?
IIRC, the spread outruns Excadrill at +1 Speed (after a Rapid Spin), there are a leftovers EV that when used in defense allows it to almost avoid 2HKO from Kartana's Leaf Blade at -1.

-1 252 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 12 Def Landorus-Therian: 135-160 (42.3 - 50.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
It was actually to outrun +2 modest Gear, but that got banned so it doesn't really do that anymore. Dropping it down to 232 outruns +1 Excadrill while still slowing down Lando's U-turns to gain momentum in Lando-T lead dittos

Is a defensive core formed by Gliscor and Venusaur good and viable in Gen 8 OU? I guess pairing with a steel-type to get rid of their ice-type common weakness does help, but other than that is it good? Gliscor covers steel-types for Venusaur, while being physically bulk. On the other hand, Venusaur takes care of bulky waters except probably Slowking and Slowbro that have Psychic STAB. It's also good on the special side, so how good of a defensive core they form?

Katy

Banned deucer.
Is a defensive core formed by Gliscor and Venusaur good and viable in Gen 8 OU? I guess pairing with a steel-type to get rid of their ice-type common weakness does help, but other than that is it good? Gliscor covers steel-types for Venusaur, while being physically bulk. On the other hand, Venusaur takes care of bulky waters except probably Slowking and Slowbro that have Psychic STAB. It's also good on the special side, so how good of a defensive core they form?
Hello,

to your question, Gliscor isn't in Gen8 OU and not in Generation 8 in general, as they scrapped that Pokemon out of the game entirely, if you looking for a defensive Ground-type which can set up Stealth Rocks there is Garchomp as an option with a more defensive approach, Landorus-Therian can also be considered with a more defensive spread and it gives the team a true Ground-immune as Venusaur being half Poison isn't great at covering Ground-type attacks. A Steel-type which can help is also Heatran, as it covers the Fire-weakness of Venusaur and is able to set Stealth Rocks or just pressuring the opponent with a niche Choice Specs set in sun-based teams as Eruption under sun hits anything like a truck. Torkoal can also be considered as it has the valuable tools to set Stealth Rocks and help with removing them due to Rapid Spin.

If you want to go for a sun-based team there plenty of viable options to help Venusaur out, however I would suggest a team similar to this one:
1614931613037.png

There other options of course and with this thread you will be able to figure out the roles of each Pokemon in the current metagame, to make it easier for yourself in the future: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ss-ou-role-compendium.3657644/

If you want to figure out how viable each Pokemon is, I highly suggest to dive into this thread: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ss-ou-dlc2-viability-ranking-thread-read-post-235.3674058/

These two threads can help you out for future teambuilding approaches and which role each and every viable Pokemon can give for your team!

I hope that helped! :)

Hello,

to your question, Gliscor isn't in Gen8 OU and not in Generation 8 in general, as they scrapped that Pokemon out of the game entirely, if you looking for a defensive Ground-type which can set up Stealth Rocks there is Garchomp as an option with a more defensive approach, Landorus-Therian can also be considered with a more defensive spread and it gives the team a true Ground-immune as Venusaur being half Poison isn't great at covering Ground-type attacks. A Steel-type which can help is also heatran, as it covers the Fire-weakness of Venusaur and is able to ste Stealth Rocks or just pressuring the opponent with a niche Choice Specs set in sun-based teams as Erupton under sun hits anything like a truck. Torkoal can also be considered as it has the valuable tools to set Stealth Rocks and help with removing them due to Rapid Spin.
Oops, sorry! I meant Gen 7 OU. It was a typo, sorry :/

Katy

Banned deucer.
Oops, sorry! I meant Gen 7 OU. It was a typo, sorry :/
In Gen7 OU, there other viable options to pair Gliscor with a Steel-type, I would say something like this:
1614932080153.png

as it covers a lot of their weaknesses and something like Toxapex with Toxic Spikes can help this team out to wear down opposing Pokemon.

I feel this is the best approach you can do with Gliscor + a Steel-type as Mega Venusaur and Slowbro take a different approach with teambuilding process. But regarding OldGens, I think the best way to ask is here: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...k-ii-roa-edition.3468567/page-62#post-8767127 as this thread is mainly reserved for the current generation of OU.

I hope this helped :)

Katy

Banned deucer.
Which is usually better for a sub hex Dragapult? Wisp or thunder wave?
Is dependant on the rest of your team and what you want to shut down / cripple, if you don't wanna miss out on Fire-types such as Heatran, Volcarona and the rather rare Moltres you should definitely go for Thunder Wave. Thunder Wave also has here the merit to make Volcarona much less effective as a dangerous setup sweeper.

Will-O-Wisp is great to dismantle strong physical threats like Landorus-T, Rillaboom, Kartana, and other although more rarely used Pokemon in OU such as Bisharp.

It is really dependant on the rest of your team and what the rest of your team wants to achieve, or what you want to shut down and cripple in the long term. Both Status have their own individual merits here.

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
Which is usually better for a sub hex Dragapult? Wisp or thunder wave?
I would say usually Will-O-Wisp as it renders Pokemon like Toxapex unable to break your Substitute with Knock Off, but Thunder Wave is a fine choice as well as it allows you to fish for free turns with Substitute. Thunder Wave is also useful for Volcarona counterplay as Katy mentioned above.

Hi, I wanted some tips on building and using Stall teams for Gen 8 OU. What would be good defensive cores for Stall, and how to avoid Taunt Tran, as iirc it's a nice stall breaker.
As for now, I have seen cores like SkarmBlissPex, but I need some elaboration on that also, as after Cinderace Ban, I guess Pex's role in the core got a little compromised? Or in the other hand, did the core gain from the ban?
And I also heard something like Swampert likes being a part of the core as it helps against Trans?
Like I need elaboration and explanation, if anyone could do tht.
Thanks in advance!
blissey/metal bird/bulky regenerator water is a good combination as blissey walls most special atttackers, metal birds wall kartana/rilla/chomp/lando, and bulky regen waters cover blisseys fighting weakness as well as acting as decent scouters. skarm offers spikes, while corvi can pp stall and cover some nasty breakers such as lele without tbolt and kyurem.
swampert is not recommended on stall as it lacks longevity, quaggy boy is much better as it has recover+unaware for setup sweepers. defensive dragonite is also great at warding off heatran

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)