Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers UU Edition

Ik that an Aegi retest is taking place and might change up the meta when it gets unbanned but what are the most suspect worthy mons in the current meta?

Ik that an Aegi retest is taking place and might change up the meta when it gets unbanned but what are the most suspect worthy mons in the current meta?
hard to say for sure since tier shifts are coming soon, but a pretty common consensus is that Alakazam should be the next mon to be tested due to its amazing speed tier, solid special attack stat, and ability to set up on common Pokemon like Kommo-o and Amoongus. At +2 it has very little switch ins and overall is super tough to deal with right now

The meta is changing 9 days after the Aegi suspect, with things rising and dropping on April 1st, so it would be difficult to really say for sure what is suspect worthy and what isn't when we will have a whole new meta with Aegi and new drops and removed rises several days later.

While I know some may answer with a list of strong mons like Alakazam (as Monky mentioned), Zeraora, etc., I think in doing so you are gravitating towards a direction you do not need to go in. Things don't necessarily need to be suspected - in fact, Victini may be the next thing tested for an unban rather than a ban.

Things don't necessarily need to be suspected - in fact, Victini may be the next thing tested for an unban rather than a ban.
Does this mean that nothing is overtly broken in the meta and that the tier is in a better state post terrak/tini ban?

first time i'm posting on smogon btw :D

Does this mean that nothing is overtly broken in the meta and that the tier is in a better state post terrak/tini ban?

first time i'm posting on smogon btw :D
Well no, that would be an incorrect assumption. Whether or not the tier is broken, suspecting more things would not necessarily "fix" it if it was. It could. It could also not. But with the incoming changes in the meta, there is no reason to suspect anything else until we see how the meta looks and how it plays out after April 1st.

What are the more utilitarian sets for a support Tabu Bulu? Basically wanna use one to keep Grassy Terrain up for fun and profit (setting up for grass related offense maybe later along the match), while accomplishing whatever it can along the way. If Terrain Extender can be fitted in, great, but I'll live without.

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
What are the more utilitarian sets for a support Tabu Bulu? Basically wanna use one to keep Grassy Terrain up for fun and profit (setting up for grass related offense maybe later along the match), while accomplishing whatever it can along the way. If Terrain Extender can be fitted in, great, but I'll live without.
Tapu Bulu is best played as an offensive pokemon! Its niche in the tier is pretty small to begin with, but it's probably best to stick with its sample sets for the best result. Additionally to the one listed here (https://www.smogon.com/dex/ss/pokemon/tapu-bulu/), Band is also ok with support.

I figured this would be the answer I would get, thanks. I'm in no mood to force an archetype against a niche mom as is, so I'll make the set that you given to work. Maybe as a good one two punch

utility bulu is crap, its used as an offensive mon solely because defensively its outclassed by moongus, and tang. You have to utilize its high attack stat otherwise why run it? Also terrain extended does not provide as much value as you think

Shit, another harsh truth, I feel I just missed the terrain train, like it was really good for a period of time (grassy terrain in particular) now it's just crap.

Thanks, this saves me hours of team building frustration, it's always been my least favorite part.

Hey, i was wondering why do we use Tentacruel with 144+ investment in spe? I found that it allows him to outspeed the Rotoms, but i don't find this so useful...

Hey, i was wondering why do we use Tentacruel with 144+ investment in spe? I found that it allows him to outspeed the Rotoms, but i don't find this so useful...
Tenta can stomach a Volt Switch and afford to trade with them. Rotom-H doesn't take Scald well or losing its boots. Rotom-W you don't pressure as well but removing its lefties and fishing for status on it can be useful. The slowest I'd personally go is faster than Mamoswine and Chandelure, which saves you 48 EVs if you value that though

Tenta can stomach a Volt Switch and afford to trade with them. Rotom-H doesn't take Scald well or losing its boots. Rotom-W you don't pressure as well but removing its lefties and fishing for status on it can be useful. The slowest I'd personally go is faster than Mamoswine and Chandelure, which saves you 48 EVs if you value that though
I usually put 96+ spe, but now that you say it i quite like the idea of outspeeding them. I will try this in my next build, thank you!

Hey guys, I'm happy to see my boy Tyrantrum as a viable option for UU. Which are its functions (looking the sets I bet a physical sweeper)? And why do they recommended Hard Stone instead of Choice Band/Scarf?

Thank you for your attention.

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
Hey guys, I'm happy to see my boy Tyrantrum as a viable option for UU. Which are its functions (looking the sets I bet a physical sweeper)? And why do they recommended Hard Stone instead of Choice Band/Scarf?

Thank you for your attention.
It's main function is as a set up sweeper on certain HO teams, due to the absurd damage output of Head Smash and decent speed after a dd and bulk under screens. Obviously this means no Choice sets, there are simply better choiced wallbreakers or speed control options in tier such as CB Buzzwole etc, while tyrantrums typing and speed being lackluster makes it really awkward to use outside of like screens and stuff. In terms of choice scarfers it really doesn't provide enough useful utility compared to other speed control options like Jirachi (Healing Wish + Iron Head shenanigans), Zarude (U-turn + Ghost resist), or natural speed control options like Noivern/Raikou which dont have to rely on choice scarfs and provide pivoting support and are less of a momentum sink due to not needing choice scarfs.

Hard Stone is mainly used so you can boost the power of your Head Smashes without damage chip from say Life Orb, which would make staying out of range of stuff like Scizor harder after boosting and attacking a few times.

Tyrantrum is a fairly niche pick overall in UU but its a fun option on certain teams that really try to support it, big saving grace for it is that metal coat scizor's bullet punch can't even OHKO it from full without screens up, making it a bit harder for teams to revenge kill without severely chipping it first when its backed by screens support.

How are bulky offense teams doing nowadays? Thinking of doing Sticky Web with Araquarid as a base but I'm not too sure on what in particular to look out for, or even the general flow. Eager to use AV Tangrowth.

Aqua Jet

Boba Bitch
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
How are bulky offense teams doing nowadays? Thinking of doing Sticky Web with Araquarid as a base but I'm not too sure on what in particular to look out for, or even the general flow. Eager to use AV Tangrowth.
Bulky Offense as an archtype is fairly uncommon, and with the loss of Bisharp any team built around the use of Hazards became a lot worse. If you do plan on building a BO team, I'd suggest Votturn with a Scizor and Rotom-W core, plus the addition of some sort of "nuke" or somthing that can easily secure a kill, much like Victini did before its ban.

Band

scatters things often
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Sticky Web as a playstyle is used exclusively on hyper offense teams since it lets Pokemon like Crawdaunt and Mamoswine bypass their lower Speed. BO is seen frequently, as its a playstyle that doesn't depend on having good matchups against your opponent for the most part, unlike hyper offense. BO normally consists of bulky offensive Pokemon like Primarina and Scizor, which can take hits and dish high damage back. Like, AquaRing said, A VoltTurn core to bring in said attackers in safely is generally used, like Rotom-W + Scizor, and a Choice Scarf user like Krookodile is also good since the team is generally slower. Hazard removal is good, but not mandatory, and you can fill defensive holes in the team with walls like AV Tangrowth, Amoonguss, and Seismitoad.

Thank you, both of you. I'm late to the party, but team teleporters (like the late great Slowing) would make good pivots as well, or is it recommend that I stick to volt turn? (Might not bother with webs since it doesn't seem to fit what I am looking for)

Band

scatters things often
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Thank you, both of you. I'm late to the party, but team teleporters (like the late great Slowing) would make good pivots as well, or is it recommend that I stick to volt turn?
The only 2 Teleport users we have is Chansey and Mew after Slowking leaving the tier. It's best you stick to VoltTurn.

The only 2 Teleport users we have is Chansey and Mew after Slowking leaving the tier. It's best you stick to VoltTurn.
And hours of teambuilding frustrations prevented! Finally, does Araquarid have any use outside of webs? It seems to make a decent Keldo check, and I can see some infestation shenanigans but I'm not sure.

And hours of teambuilding frustrations prevented! Finally, does Araquarid have any use outside of webs? It seems to make a decent Keldo check, and I can see some infestation shenanigans but I'm not sure.
Unfortunately Araquanid is only worth using on webs teams. There are better water types like milotic, primarina, or rotom-W who fit on normal bulky offense teams due to better offensive presence or defenses

And Washtom seems like a perfectly valid Keldo counter, at least to take some pressure off of AV Tangrowth. Between those two I shouldn't have much grief moving mons around. Then a quick burst option like Krookodile (wanted Starmie for spinning but I could use rocks and am already planning on Room).

I was originally planning some fuckery with Decidueye and Araquarid (I know full well Decidueye's "place" in the tier) since grass\ghost seems like a pretty sexy combo right now, but that seems like too much work for not enough payoff for a dude still getting used to teambuilding all over.

Band

scatters things often
And Washtom seems like a perfectly valid Keldo counter, at least to take some pressure off of AV Tangrowth. Between those two I shouldn't have much grief moving mons around. Then a quick burst option like Krookodile (wanted Starmie for spinning but I could use rocks and am already planning on Room).

I was originally planning some fuckery with Decidueye and Araquarid (I know full well Decidueye's "place" in the tier) since grass\ghost seems like a pretty sexy combo right now, but that seems like too much work for not enough payoff for a dude still getting used to teambuilding all over.
Washtom can't take specs Secret Sword from Keldeo, AV Tangrowth alone generally works, but make sure you keep its AV. This thread is for Simple Answers and Simple Questions, if you want teambuilding advice, I advise you to join the UU room in PS or the Discord just so we don't clog the thread with our convo. we'd be glad to help you in either place, PS room or Discord server, swing by when you want to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)