Singles 3v3 Singles (BSS) Discussion

chemcoop

Here is something to believe in!
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Two-Time Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Community Leader
Which item do you suggest I'd use for Rillaboom? I was thinking either assault vest or life orb, but I feel like assult vest would make more sense for Rillaboom and then life orb for Rotom-H. I don't think I'll use any screen setups then, but I'll definitely make sure to show my pokepaste for any suggestions. Where should I post that if I do also? Thanks again for the help I really appreciate it, I just don't know the meta at all :psycry:
If you aren't in there already, I highly recommend joining our Discord server as live chat help is going to be faster/more effective than on here!

what do think of my meh trick room team
:Carbink: :Clawitzer: :Perrserker: :Sirfetch’d: :Indeedee: :Carracosta:
paste
The plan is well if the foes team is weak to perrserker's stab and coverage nuke em with +1 steely spirit STAB max steal spikes And if they survive then scarf indeedee is then for clean up. but if there week to clawitzer and its coverage then blast em with super effective pulses (it can O.K. certain draganight variants through multi scale). Then if your main sweeper goes down you send in sirfetch'd and max it to clean up or indeedee to again clean of, but if your feeling spicy you can send out carracosta with its +4 (if weakness policy is activated in the same turn as shell smash) aqua jets. If you use all the clean ups they form a solid team as well
I am just going to say that perrserker can kill zacian out of trick room thanks to +2 deffence and +1 attack (if you arn't forced to use other max moves) and I updated the link for move set tweaks

Last edited:

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I just wanted to welcome the opportunity to give marilli a shout-out for sharing the Calyrex team.

I'm not a competitive player per se, but I do work my way to Master Ball rank every season one way or another.
This was honestly one of the most fun teams I've used yet and I had never really used Trick Room before.
Quagsire was definitely a crucial team member that I kept bringing repeatedly for a nice and easy laddering session.

That being said, the team being featured on your channel was significantly helpful and the commentary helped me familiarize myself with the team before renting it and trying it for myself.

I've recommended the channel and the team to other people from my entourage.

Good luck with your future endeavors.

https://pokepast.es/2f11fa63fc3b1376
Got into the season late and this team got me to Masterball tier super fast in under 2 days, which I consider pretty good since I don't play BSS Ranked often.

Arcanine checks Zacian, Cinderace, Necrozma-Dusk Mane, etc and is just general Intimidate support that also spreads burns.

Calyrex-Ice is extremely good and often sweeps entire teams before the opponent even knows what's happening. Requires literally no support from my experience and can just use Trick Room on most supereffective hits and sweep. Dynamaxing into Max Hailstorm breaks sashes and gets additional damage on top of it's already extreme damage output. Max Quake makes it even bulkier.

Chandelure outspeeds anything relevant except for Zacian. Scarf Chandelure is faster than Dragapult and offers some level of speed control and the ability to nerf things with Trick.

Buzzwole is a wincon with Bulk Up and walls Rillaboom, Excadrill, Urshifu, etc.

Amoonguss spreads sleep and checks Kyogre & Xerneas.

Gigalith is the special wall on the team. Walls things like Zapdos, Yveltal, Togekiss, Kyurem White, Eternatus, etc. If it's primarily a special attacker that doesn't have a STAB supereffective move, then Gigalith handles it pretty well. Also changes the weather on Kyogre if that matters.

Last edited:

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm posting in the right thread this time.

Well, that didn't take long.
marilli's Calyrex team from the Team Bazaar thread did it again.
This time around, I got back to Master Ball rank on the first day of the new season.
I can only recommend it to players that haven't tried this format yet, it's fairly easy to use and great for newer players.

Thanks again for the team, I don't even wanna try a different team.

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
Ever wonder how players like Ika and Marilli find all of these top player teams? They use a website called Nouthuca, a Japanese site where people post links to their blogs which often have full team descriptions and may even include rental codes. However, in order to search these teams for individual Pokemon, you need to input the Japanese names, which can be a bit of a hassle.

Here is a tool that makes entering in searches for specific Pokemon way easier (credit to Ryuna for building this tool, which allows you to directly put in english and it generates a link that includes teams using that Pokemon.)

Nouthuca English Link Generator

Hope this helps you all navigate Nouthuca easier, and thanks again to Ryuna!

Hey guys, if anyone is interested, I did an indepth dive into one of the top teams from Season 15, the Rank 1 finishing Zacian-Lapras team with comments from the builder on the building process, individual pokemon EV spreads and how to approach each major matchup translated into English as well as my own thoughts. If you want to use a very solid team or want to learn a bit more about how top players construct their teams and play with a top archetype, hopefully this can help. The code for the team is down below as well as the Paste so if you want to use it on the Showdown Ladder or the Switch feel free to.

Paste: https://pokepast.es/e579bb18fc1d87d4
Link to Original Blog Post: http://chihaya-poke.hatenablog.com/entry/2021/03/02/030130

Here's my video on it, I've timestamped it if you want to skip to certain parts.

WIN_20210313_11_52_38_Pro.jpg

Actually a bit lower but I had just won one so next time after I play and it updates it will be like in the 3,000s. I think that's high enough that I'd like to share my team in case anyone wants to try to get reasonably high but w/ something unorthodox rather than most of the high teams.

https://pokepast.es/22502d2a2b743df5

Drifblim has been less good in high ranks, I think you experience the same thing when using Corsola-g though I've never used that. Once Zacian usage went down towards the top where I've seen more Kyogre/Kyurem-B/Dialga/etc. it got less good. I also don't have a good plan vs. Arcanine, or evil Leech Seed Celesteela. Grass coverage on Calyrex has been invaluable. I really wouldn't run Ice w/o it.

Last edited:
Here's my video on it, I've timestamped it if you want to skip to certain parts.

Thank, the video was very helpful!

Using this team I've run in to a couple of situations that I don't know how to handle.

1) Came up against a team with Zacian + a ditto. Which means I had to take on 2 Zacians. How do I deal with this??
2) What do I do against Hippowdon? Is the best option to use substitute and Horn Drill 'n' pray?

Thank, the video was very helpful!

Using this team I've run in to a couple of situations that I don't know how to handle.

1) Came up against a team with Zacian + a ditto. Which means I had to take on 2 Zacians. How do I deal with this??
2) What do I do against Hippowdon? Is the best option to use substitute and Horn Drill 'n' pray?
Hey man, I've been laddering with this team over 100 games on Showdown and am now over 1500 on the ladder so although this won't be directly from Chihaya Poke, hopefully I can help you. The environment is pretty harsh for the team ATM due to the large amount of Zacian-C CTs on the ladder but it can still function well.

1. Generally in this particular scenario you bench Zacian-C or you play really carefully with your Zacian-C. If the opposing team does not have Rhyperior, then you can bring Zapdos, Rhyperior and Zacian-C. Though it depends on the specifics of their team composition. You lead Zapdos and Max Airstream T1 unless they are also leading Zapdos (which case you hard rhyperior) and you use this to get 1 KO generally in 2 max turns and then go into Rhyperior if they try and Ditto you. You then set up your custap berry vs. Zacian-C when it switches into Rock Blast. This is the basic early game plan. Later on you can bring Zacian-C on Dittoed Rhyperior and click Behemoth Blade as Zacian vs. Rhyperior calc doesn't apply due Ditto's lowered HP just be careful they cannot sack 1 pokemon and bring in Ditto vs. your Zacian. You just maneuver your Zacian-C so it cannot be copied and you should win, though I personally find the mirror hard. You bring Zacian-C in as late as possible (ie. on Ditto) or you can bench it and bring Urshifu. Trading your Zacian-C with their Zacian-C is generally beneficial in this matchup and you can pick them off with Urshifu which is another route you can take. If this Zacian/Ditto team is stall, I like to bring Rhyperior, Lapras and Urshifu and then aim is to trade your Rhyperior/Urshifu with Zacian-C and then use Lapras to beat the rest of the team.

2. This team is not great vs. HIppowdon, using Lapras is fine, I like to also Hurricane once with Zapdos to put Hippo in range of Behemoth Blade or Max Airstream and then force Hippo to whirlwind me into one of these and then click Max Airstream with Zapdos to finish off the Hippo. The ideal is Zapdos + Heatran where neither can be affected by EQ then you can wait out sandstorm and get into a position where Hippo puts up rocks in which case you can just max or just attack. Generally you dont want Zapdos + Heatran combo unless it is vs. Necrozma Dusk Mane or Eternatus, but this basic strategy also works with Zapdos + Rhyperior or Zacian-C. Take a rocks switchin on Zapdos if needed to get the max airstream off. Ferrothorn if it is Sand + Kyogre is also a strong bring that neutralises hippo. It is annoying mind.

Last edited:
Hey man, I've been laddering with this team over 100 games on Showdown and am now over 1500 on the ladder so although this won't be directly from Chihaya Poke, hopefully I can help you. The environment is pretty harsh for the team ATM due to the large amount of Zacian-C CTs on the ladder but it can still function well.

1. Generally in this particular scenario you bench Zacian-C or you play really carefully with your Zacian-C. If the opposing team does not have Rhyperior, then you can bring Zapdos, Rhyperior and Zacian-C. Though it depends on the specifics of their team composition. You lead Zapdos and Max Airstream T1 unless they are also leading Zapdos (which case you hard rhyperior) and you use this to get 1 KO generally in 2 max turns and then go into Rhyperior if they try and Ditto you. You then set up your custap berry vs. Zacian-C when it switches into Rock Blast. This is the basic early game plan. Later on you can bring Zacian-C on Dittoed Rhyperior and click Behemoth Blade as Zacian vs. Rhyperior calc doesn't apply due Ditto's lowered HP just be careful they cannot sack 1 pokemon and bring in Ditto vs. your Zacian. You just maneuver your Zacian-C so it cannot be copied and you should win, though I personally find the mirror hard. You bring Zacian-C in as late as possible (ie. on Ditto) or you can bench it and bring Urshifu. Trading your Zacian-C with their Zacian-C is generally beneficial in this matchup and you can pick them off with Urshifu which is another route you can take. If this Zacian/Ditto team is stall, I like to bring Rhyperior, Lapras and Urshifu and then aim is to trade your Rhyperior/Urshifu with Zacian-C and then use Lapras to beat the rest of the team.

2. This team is not great vs. HIppowdon, using Lapras is fine, I like to also Hurricane once with Zapdos to put Hippo in range of Behemoth Blade or Max Airstream and then force Hippo to whirlwind me into one of these and then click Max Airstream with Zapdos to finish off the Hippo. The ideal is Zapdos + Heatran where neither can be affected by EQ then you can wait out sandstorm and get into a position where Hippo puts up rocks in which case you can just max or just attack. Generally you dont want Zapdos + Heatran combo unless it is vs. Necrozma Dusk Mane or Eternatus, but this basic strategy also works with Zapdos + Rhyperior or Zacian-C. Take a rocks switchin on Zapdos if needed to get the max airstream off. Ferrothorn if it is Sand + Kyogre is also a strong bring that neutralises hippo. It is annoying mind.
Thanks for your advice Ika, I'll take some time to digest it.

I've played about 18 games with the team and haven't brought Urshifu out once. I actually haven't run in to Calyrex shadow yet. Anyway I was thinking of replacing it with either Ditto (for the extra restricted legendary cheese) or G.Moltres (to deal with Calyex shadow, but also have a more rounded mon in the lineup), what do you think?

Thanks for your advice Ika, I'll take some time to digest it.

I've played about 18 games with the team and haven't brought Urshifu out once. I actually haven't run in to Calyrex shadow yet. Anyway I was thinking of replacing it with either Ditto (for the extra restricted legendary cheese) or G.Moltres (to deal with Calyex shadow, but also have a more rounded mon in the lineup), what do you think?
It depends where you are in the ladder. I think it is very possible you don't see Calyrex Shadow in 18 games but also you might see loads. You kinda want Urshifu as well for Necrozma Dusk Mane when there are dual screens it can be hard to deal with and that can deal with Ditto/Moltres. So if you are to replace it, keep in mind that as well.

Hi! I'm looking into trying out BSS once I finish my sword playthrough and getting a team I can use. I have a question tho. What's the status of Baton Pass in the BSS meta? Specifically fullpass teams. I assume there were people who explored it to some degree especially with it banned in most smogon metagames but I don't see Baton Pass discussions on BSS when I searched for it.

Hi! I'm looking into trying out BSS once I finish my sword playthrough and getting a team I can use. I have a question tho. What's the status of Baton Pass in the BSS meta? Specifically fullpass teams. I assume there were people who explored it to some degree especially with it banned in most smogon metagames but I don't see Baton Pass discussions on BSS when I searched for it.
To quote another post I made in another thread about Baton Pass:

"Without philosophizing too much on the matter, is Baton Pass viable? The simple answer is yes. This is not to say it is excellent, it has clear flaws, however it is usable in the right team compositions. That is not to say that full Baton Pass is very good because they are very bad, but that you can utilize Baton Pass elements in certain matchups. Two examples of top 100 Baton Pass teams are:

http://shigumaaa.hatenablog.com/entry/2021/03/01/175722
https://riki-0330.hatenablog.com/entry/2021/03/01/132838

There is no need to go out there and prove it can be done since it already has been. I gather, although I have not played much Baton Pass in Series 8, that Baton Pass is used less as an outright chain sweeping tool and more as a way to pivot to other Pokemon when Blaziken encounters a bad matchup, almost like a U-Turn with boosts attached along. Of course certain Pokemon can benefit from Baton Pass Boosts, such as the second team's Necrozma Dusk Mane, which solves that Ditto issue you talked about by simply outbulking it in the 1v1.

Relying on a pure Weakness Policy Baton Pass chain in the vast majority of games is foolhardy though. Most people once you get to a high level are able to play around such telegraphed ideas and Baton Pass itself is not used because a lot of top Pokemon that would be traditional recipients in USUM such as Zapdos and Celesteela can just click Max Airstream to get that same boost whilst conserving a slot or using Dual Screens in your support slot instead. There are also many things such as opposing Setup, Phasing moves, extremely strong moves that are almost impossible to switch into (think a water move from Kyogre) and Curse which neuter Baton Pass which you didn't mention. I hope that helps out a bit for you."

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
Ika covered most bases, but I would say full pass is unplayable, the most viable passing is probably Dragapult DD semi-pass, but in this current meta with too many things that outspeed pult and just too hard hitting in general, I would not recommend baton pass in almost any capacity. It also gets you away from learning the fundamentals of BSS in favor of a very "cheesy" strat, which I would also recommend against.

For those of you going back into Series 9, here are a few top teams from Season 14 which has the same ruleset. I've had them for a while, but really haven't had the motivation to put them up.

Link: https://shar965.hatenablog.com/entry/2021/02/02/134103
Paste: https://pokepast.es/efa86a0406af7bdc

Link: https://gokugokupoke.hatenablog.com/entry/2021/02/02/182417
Paste: https://pokepast.es/6f6db83d1f3ddeda

Link: https://spokemon929.hatenablog.com/entry/2021/02/01/163559
Paste: https://pokepast.es/7b2f133f112a5895

I had the top 20 as well as a few interesting teams translated as I usually do as well as a few interesting ones but I lost them for whatever reason so I just did these. This will be my last post of this nature on the BSS Forum, I hope someone does carry this on and keeps researching and posting content from top Japanese Players, keeps providing newer players strong proven teams and analysis in order to level the playing field and bring Smogon closer to the top level of BSS. This is how I have learned everything I know once I had stopped being tutored and became one of the best players in the scene and I am sure others will be able to tread the path that I did and get even further.

I've been playing BSS for about three years, difference between the scene from back then and the scene now is night and day. Most of my friends have moved on or barely play BSS anymore, I've been wavering for a long while and now it's time for me to move on as well. I'll still be on Discord (Ika#4804) and on Showdown in a few rooms so if anyone ever wants a chat I'll be around.

Last edited:
Screens are a big part of the meta, and I hate them. Is Bisharp at all vaible? I was thinking about it, and it seems to invalidate Grimmsnarl thanks to Brick Break, 4x Dark resist, and Defiant. Vs. Klefki you have a steel resistance and even if it runs fairy w/ Steel Beam Bisharp is neutral to that. And it fulfills my semi-requirement of a Dark type to beat Cresselia. That said its stats aren't very good.

My team is Drifblim(Sap/Wisp,) AV Koko, WP Landog, Phys Def Fini, and sash Cinderace. I got swept easily by 2 people using Screens and set up so I need a new 6th mon. One of them used a regular WP Togekiss, the other was oddly BD Slowbro-G. But it seems like any old set up w/ screens gets me, even that weird one that's probably no good in the meta overall.

I know I've asked about screens before...they really bother me. Setting my own screens requires me to have more set up to keep up w/ theirs(Landog has SD but they'll probably be +2 Atk/SpA by the time that switches in, then Airstream on my SD which might kill and if not they'll be faster and 2hko.) And I'm not fond of set-up at all. Ditto maybe works? If I set my own screens and copy their boosts then I'm at an advantage. But Ditto is so bad in Dynamax wars w/ its HP.

Grimmsnarl is the premier screener, so Psychic Fangs are out. Brick Break is good, if I finish Grimm w. it it won't matter that Togekiss 4x resists because the screens will be done. Someone suggested Excadrill for my team which is at least good vs. Togekiss as far as I know, but there's the Cresselia issue. So it should be a Dark type w/ Brick Break which harkens back to the original thought of Bisharp, ofc. Taunt doesn't really stop screens these days w/ Dark type Grimm, and non-Prankster Taunt means they set up at least 1 screen. Mr.Mime-g, as much as I like it, is too limited vs. non-screens and dubious vs. Cress(it can Encore Sub but there's Dynamax, and if I Encore CM it can prolly stall me out w/ Lefties.) I don't really remember other options for screens besides my own, Taunt(meh,) and Brick Break/PF, and I can't dig up the old post there's too many. I anyone has a 6th mon suggestion for Screens and Cress that'd be great. Preferrably something I can get myself though, I chose water Urshifu and now cannot get Dark w/o trading.

EDIT: Searched darks w. BB on Showdown, Grimmsnarl itself is there. Is that good, setting my own screens and denying theirs?

Also I remembered another screens counter, a fat mon to waste turns. That pretty much just means Chansey, and ofc only vs. special sweepers. But that's mainly what uses screens, WP Airstreamers. Should I use a SpD Chansey? Total set up bait for Cresselia though, regardless of Chansey's set.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)