Metagame SS OU Metagame Discussion Thread v7 (Usage Stats in post #3539)

Hydreigon @ Grip Claw
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 28 SpA / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Spin
- Earth Power
- Roost
- Taunt
its pretty useless beyond toxapex but trapping toxapex is enough to be semi relevant at worst.
Idk about this one, but I've always gone Life Orb, super power, taunt, fire spin, draco meteor with speed and split attack invesent, with -Defense

You trap and kill toxapex, blissey, ttar, while still keeping enough damage to blow up urshifu. Don't remeber the exact amount ev.

Makes volcarona really easy to sweep with

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
EVs: 228 Atk / 28 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Fire Spin
- Superpower
- Draco Meteor
- Taunt

Gomi

yep
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Idk about this one, but I've always gone Life Orb, super power, taunt, fire spin, draco meteor with speed and split attack invesent, with -Defense

You trap and kill toxapex, blissey, ttar, while still keeping enough damage to blow up urshifu. Don't remeber the exact amount ev.

Makes volcarona really easy to sweep with

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
EVs: 228 Atk / 28 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Fire Spin
- Superpower
- Draco Meteor
- Taunt
ye i do agree this one is a lot more conductive to like actually forcing progress, grip claw one is just the one i had in my builder at that moment in time tbh

Goodbye King’s Rock and GOOD RIDDANCE!!!
DD7BFD5E-F48B-4713-BDD3-D2766D28F9B5.gif

EDIT (so that this isn’t a one-liner post): Finally the days of Cloyster cheese are behind us (Weavile to a lesser extent). To see that King’s Rock Cloyster had higher usage in OLT than mons like Zeraora & the Slow twins is appalling. I’ve wanted this uncompetitive item banned since Gen 6. Finally the time has come. Thank you, Finch!

Last edited:

Baloor

Tigers Management
is a Community Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
PUPL Champion
image0.png
blce made picture
really curious to see where ho will go from here. while there was still some good hos that didnt run cloy, most of the "proven" and "good" hos heavily relied on cloy to make progress / be the end game boss that teams were forced to play around (which can make you fumble the bag sometimes). while i dont really see anything immediate that could come up and take its place, its still one more slot on ho to fill. perhaps we could see the rise of some of these sweepers that also mess up fat teams like haxorus, togekiss, and gengar to name a few or maybe some mons that were middle of the pack picks for ho become mainstream like; zeraora, blaziken, moltres-galar, melmetal and zapdos-galar. theres also a chance we could revert back to our primal ways of hawlucha screens (i do see this being the direction we go in for at least a bit). the future of ho is a really interesting topic to me and i'd like to see other peoples opinions.

other than ho being in a weird spot. balance seems to have gotten a bit better. cloyster was one of hos main balance breakers, since due to the nature of the archetype theyre a bit too passive to stop cloyster from setting up so it was always a few flinches away from winning. in my opinion balance has been in a weird spot on ladder lately due to the existence of these cloyster offenses, but with kings rock now banned thats not really a problem anymore. this doesnt change how balance looks at all, in fact all these teams will probably be relatively the same as they were before but this is a nice quality of life "change" for balance if you will.

slainey is now in shambles because he can no longer win games by cheesing people and now has to play good

unban moody

Gomi

yep
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
god anything smogon related is gonna be impossible to talk in for like a month fuck me

im glad KR cloyster HO is a thing of the past though, and hopefully this should be the end of KR discussion for good. horrible, awful, terribly unfun thing. It'll be interesting to see HO without its cheese king supreme stealing endgames off of 1 flinch. plenty of fun options like Haxorus, Bulu, Jirachi, scarfgar, gyarados, Blaziken, and more to play around w/.

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor
god every anything smogon related is gonna be impossible to talk in for like a month fuck me

im glad KR cloyster HO is a thing of the past though, and hopefully this should be the end of KR discussion for good. horrible, awful, terribly unfun thing. It'll be interesting to see HO without its cheese king supreme stealing endgames off of 1 flinch.
gomi
have you experienced this thread
but yeah, hopefully now ppl SHUT UP about this :)

i was gonna make another arthur meme, but i cant think of a funny thing to post :(

I wanna start a topic after kings rock ban, its only my second post in this thread,

Have anyone even though about suspect testing necrozma-dw? that mon is useless in Uber and I think its not broken in OU,

Its only 77 base speed doesn't even outspeed dragapult at +1 Spe. There is also many knock off user that threaten it for coming savely.

I think that would be an interesting idea, for almost the opposite reasons of Super Shield Dog.
The question is what would it actually add to OU? How would it help/hurt the current meta, and what long-term benefits would "MegaSwoobat" bring to the tier?
Sorry if this is a bit of a short post, but I just wanted to say that it's an interesting thought!

Abhi

Professional Zoomer
is an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I wanna start a topic after kings rock ban, its only my second post in this thread,

Have anyone even though about suspect testing necrozma-dw? that mon is useless in Uber and I think its not broken in OU,

Its only 77 base speed doesn't even outspeed dragapult at +1 Spe. There is also many knock off user that threaten it for coming savely.
No.
Ok this thing has meteor beam, with a special attack stat of 157, with Calm Mind and very spammable STABs. Not only that it has a good ability as well. Its just very obviously too strong for OU with its sky high stats, good coverage and STABs. Its also got the ability to have absolutely no checks what so ever with its coverage bar the few Dark-types. Also theres the fact that it ads nothing of significance to the tier, the reason we thought of a Zamazenta-C ban was mainly because someone made a video on it and also because it did bring something new to the tier, while this will probably bring chaos with it. There just doesnt seem to be a great reason to suspect test it since it doesnt seem to have many Pro's. Although for all I know it could be a great addition to the tier and make it better, but I very much doubt it will.
Sorry if this comes off as rude.

Last edited:

TailGlowVM

Now 100% more demonic

Also, I'm pretty sure we don't retest Pokemon "because they are unviable in Ubers". We've retested some Pokemon that were actually pretty good in Ubers at the time (like Latias in DPP and Excadrill in BW), and Necrozma-DW is in the same rank in Ubers as Genesect and Spectrier - don't think anyone wants them retested yet do they?

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD

Ubers and OU are vastly different metagames. Performance in one has no effect on performance in the other. Very very rarely will a council look into unbanning an Ubers, but if they do, then it's for the sake of improving their metagame and not because of lackluster performance in another.

I'll kindly ask everyone to avoid discussing Pokemon in the Ubers tier here, especially discussion on unbanning them. Have a good rest of the day.

How about this for a new topic then.

What pokemon do you guys think is underrated that should be used a lot more than it is?

I'll start:

:Tapu-Bulu:

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Close Combat
- Darkest Lariat
- Stone Edge

I don't think Tapu Bulu gets nearly enough love even with it's recent rise in popularity. Even without the priority Grassy Glide, I think Bulu is superior to Rillaboom because of it's bulk and decent recovery in the form of Horn Leech. Being able to bulk hits and strike back 10 fold with it's great movepool is great for Bulky Offense teams. Only really being stopped by the steel birds, this thing just loves swapping into things like Garchomp with an immunity to dragon, and grassy terrain completely destroying EQ meaning it only fears the possible Fire Fang, which has a 38% chance to 2HKO with no defensive investment on Bulu. Lando-T also hates seeing this thing come in as Horn Leech is a massive hit to any set, and Lando can't fire back effectively without suiciding with Explosions on those sets, but even that isn't an OHKO from full! AV is my preferred set able to sponge both physical and special hits alike. A Specs Kyurem locked into Freeze Dry cant even OHKO AV Bulu, which is huge for being able to dispose of them in a pinch. Other things that can kill it easily cant swap in like Weavile, who demolishes any Tapu Bulu with Triple Axel, but dies to Close Combat easily. Even without AV sets though, Bulu has some great moves for Utility! Toxic, Taunt, Roar/Whirlwind, and Synthesis. Along with setup moves like Swords Dance, Bulk Up, and Substitute. Bulu rocks an awesome movepool, great bulk, and awesome power! Please give Bulu more love.

+4 252 Atk Life Orb Garchomp Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Tapu Bulu in Grassy Terrain: 142-168 (41.3 - 48.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Garchomp Fire Fang vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Tapu Bulu: 164-195 (47.8 - 56.8%) -- 38.7% chance to 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
252 Atk Landorus-Therian Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Tapu Bulu: 105-124 (30.6 - 36.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
252 Atk Landorus-Therian Explosion vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Tapu Bulu: 262-309 (76.3 - 90%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Kyurem Freeze-Dry vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Tapu Bulu: 260-308 (75.8 - 89.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Weavile: 816-964 (290.3 - 343%) -- guaranteed OHKO

What pokemon do you guys think is underrated that should be used a lot more than it is?
1628109316570.png

Bootleg Pyukumuku
BASED GOD (Wailord) @ Leftovers
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: idk about optimal, but you need 20 Spe to beat melmetal
I go heavy on SpD with enough Def/Hp to live Lando EQ and not get 2HKO from tangrowth.
- Block
- Rest
- Soak
- Toxic

Along with balloon ditto, this is the only thing that switches into Heatran for stall. Oblivious means you're immune to taunt. There's probably a PP stall version here too, with noble roar or stuff like that, but I've only tried this trapper set.

lol a little aggressive today baloor?

Last edited:
View attachment 362921
Bootleg Pyukumuku
BASED GOD (Wailord) @ Leftovers
EVs: idk about optimal, but you need 20 Spe to beat melmetal
I go heavy on SpD with enough Def/Hp to live Lando EQ and not get 2HKO from tangrowth.
- Block
- Rest
- Soak
- Toxic

Along with balloon ditto, this is the only thing that switches into Heatran for stall. Oblivious means you're immune to taunt. There's probably a PP stall version here too, with noble roar or stuff like that, but I've only tried this trapper set.
Agreed. Wailord is a pretty decent Pokemon. It’s literally the hardest counter to Heatran and it forces it out every time until it loses all of its moves. The fact that it can’t be taunted allows it to trap many unexpected things like Mew, Tapu Fini, and non u-turn defog torn t. In addition to this, it can trap Slowking-G, non tport Blissey, non power whip Ferrothorn, Hippowdon, Clefable, and Toxapex. It’s basically a Heatran countering taunt immune block imprison mew. Here’s the Noble Roar set I’ve been experimenting with.

:sm/wailord:
Wailord @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Block
- Noble Roar
- Amnesia/Defense curl
- Rest

Heavy duty boots allow you to manually switch into Heatran regardless of hazards and win every time unless earth power crits. So yea, Wailord underrated. Should be on the VR.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 14)