Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl - Release 19th Nov 2021

The Grand Underground seems like a interesting new feature. A "customizable" hunting area. It'll be interesting to see how you will be getting the "statues" and if the pokemon found there will have special features (like HAs / egg moves, similarly to the SoS in Gen 7 and gen 8 glowing pokemon)

I am however a bit sad by the lack of overworld pokemon outside of these, I get the 1:1 fidelty but I really prefer symbol encounters over random ones.

Was still kind of holding out for them bringing back Dexit-ed species present in DPP to make their way into Sword/Shield, but I guess that's not happening. I think. RIP Mismagius in Galar.

That said, it still definitely looks like an upgraded version of our old favorites, so I'm still excited. I didn't see anything resembling Poffin-making or the Poketch, so I guess they couldn't integrate everything.

Not intending to buy this game, but I am glad they are adding stuff instead of making it literally DP with different graphics. There were plenty of Fire Types in the trailer, contests seem more engaging (tho I don't care about contests) and Pokemon are more expressive.
And again, like with Arceus, the models in-battle look more polished, but they do still look too bright. But at least there are outlines.

So thumbs up. Lot's of thumbs up d(´w ` )

Mercifully this does assuage many of my fears.
-They really did improve the presentation of this considerably. It's amazing what some better lighting and touched up textures can do for a game.
-The battle backgrounds in particular look very nice
-Following pokemon is one of those things i dont NEED, but when it's there I greatly enjoy.
-The Grand Underground, well, if I'm being honest I feel like the Platinum Dex pokemon will be relegated to there (it just feels a bit on the nose to go "some pokemon in sinnoh can ONLY be found here" and then show Houndoom....), but over all I'm very happy with some of the rarer/later game Pokemon that showed up. Munchlax & the ice types in particular stand out.
--Side note: I wonder if maybe the whole "statues influence what you find" thing is meant to be a roundabout implementation of the Dongle method. Wouldn't surprise me if post-game you could place the Charizard statue out and find some of the dongle Pokemon associated with it in the underground.
-The platinum expansion is pretty much confirmed. They continually showed pokemon from it throughout. A big load off my mind.
-Trainer customization was a pleasant surprise.

Was still kind of holding out for them bringing back Dexit-ed species present in DPP to make their way into Sword/Shield, but I guess that's not happening. I think. RIP Mismagius in Galar.

That said, it still definitely looks like an upgraded version of our old favorites, so I'm still excited. I didn't see anything resembling Poffin-making or the Poketch, so I guess they couldn't integrate everything.
I imagine it will happen....in 2022. The games are going to be Home compatible, but not until then...and it'd make sense to have an update to have all the remainder drop all at once. I suspect this will be the big competitive addition since it'll also allow all the new Pokemon/forms from Legends Arceus.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
I've got some predictions and analyses of some of the new stuff we saw in BDSP

-BDSP looks like it will have its own separate unranked metagame, kinda like how Let's Go did
-Underground Hideaways remind me of Object Arrangement from the HGSS Safari Zone
-Pokémon following the player comes back
-Platinum Dex mons are present but may not be a part of the generic encounter tables
-Ball capsules return in a revamped form and I'm guessing that maybe you'll be able to get some from your Pokémon if you talk to them
-Cynthia will likely give the player a Togepi Egg, unlike in original DP where you can get a Happiny Egg instead

The returning content is nice to see and new content was more than I expected. Adding following pokemon to the overworld makes sense since Amity Square was probably just limited by the times.
Turtwig gets Leafage now.
EDIT: Also it shows PS instead of HP in this one clip for some reason, probably from another language.
1629294265086.png

It mentioned a software update was required when showing the Union Room.
1629294393672.png

It feels weird to have the wifi battles have the background be the actual Union Room, though I guess I'm comparing it to the original static background and the modern green grid rooms. The Galactic battle background looks pretty good too, so I hope they let you pick and choose possibly.

1629294779118.png

Another learnset change showing this isn't just a faithful remake, Roserade gets Leaf Tornado. It doesn't even learn this in the main games!

EDIT: I made a post after this already but I'll put some more thoughts down here.
They changed the wild encounter text from "Wild MON appeared" to "A wild MON appeared", but now it's very different. Not sure how I feel about this one. The trainer text is pretty much the same as modern times though, down to the static pose slide-in.
1629295197065.png

1629295658890.png

Fashion is a good addition even though most of the time it's on chibis.
I like how seals have been expanded for the new 3D environment. Speaking of seals, they also showed Sunshine Cherrim being sent out directly but I'm not going to read too much into that.

Overall I think they've made some good additions and I was nicely surprised. More potential variety is nice and they've confirmed a lot of mons here.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)