CAP 1 Smogon's First "Create a Pokemon": Reflections, Opinions, and Closing

Are You Satisfied with how the First "Create A Pokemon" Turned Out?

• Yeah, I felt it was handled really well

Votes: 147 42.5%
  • Well, it was alright, but a few changes need to be made

Votes: 106 30.6%
  • No, I hated it

Votes: 19 5.5%
  • I really liked it, but I think the pokemon is broken, so I'm going to be stupid and say no

Votes: 43 12.4%
  • "Create A Pokemon?"

Votes: 31 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sunday designed the set. I'm not going to pretend I knew all of the counters off the top of my head, and knew the perfect sets to take advantage of the metagame (I still don't, but then I haven't read the analysis), but I knew the impact such a pokemon would have. I'm not saying you have to be a pokemon master, but you need to have enough of a grip on the metagame to know how you're affecting it.
Cooper, I think I can do that. I may not be able to make the Calculations for damage, but I can estimate how hard it will hit, and who should be fearing it.

Cooper, I think I can do that. I may not be able to make the Calculations for damage, but I can estimate how hard it will hit, and who should be fearing it.
Okay. Would you be willing to work with Hyra? He's still my first choice as mod for the next program, but if he says no to a partner, you're out.

lol, hey I am still here!!

Anyways, Sylonite sounds reasonable if people are afraid of a Heroes lawsuit. Height + Weight should be around Yanmega for Syclant and Trapinch for Sylar. Move changes suggest so far sound good. Finally, try to fix the Dex entries to agree. Say maybe only older or adolescent Syclant train alone. The colonies idea is too good to remove.

Finally, I vote Hyra for leader for the next one.

For Mario. It's too big to put into the first post and not have it look cluttered.

[SET]
name: Mixant
move 1: Blizzard
move 2: Bug buzz
move 3: Brick Break
move 4: Substitute / Earth Power
item: Life Orb
ability: Compound Eyes
nature: Naive / Rash
evs: 200 Atk/ 56 Satk / 252 Spd

[SET COMMENTS]
Syclant has the ability to tear through many of the most common walls in D/P. Compound Eyes provided Syclant with an extremely high power 99% accurate STAB in the form of Blizzard. Brick Break deals with Blissey and will 2HKO 90% of the time. Bug buzz provides a strong STAB that deals with many opponents. Substitute can be used if you do not want to risk mispredicting, which will often force Syclant to switch out. It is also useful to absorb Thunder Waves from Blissey and Cresselia. If you do use substitute than Super Power becomes an option as it can 2HKO Blissey with less EVs. Those EVs give you the same Atk as a max Atk and Satk Syclant with the trade off of 10% recoil from every attack, so all of these damage calcs still stand.

If this set does not have sufficient rapid spin support, it will soon fall to passive damage. To combat this you can use ice shell over Compound Eyes, but only do this if you use an Abomasnow to set up hail or switch to the significantly weaker ice beam.

[SET]
name: Swords Ant
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Ice Shard / Ice Punch
move 3: X-Scissor
move 4: Brick Break / U-Turn
item: Life Orb / Expert Belt
ability: Mountaineer
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spd

[SET COMMENTS]
This is a full physical version of Syclant. It's attack reaches astronomical levels after a Swords Dance. Ice Shard takes care of anything that thinks it can switch in on the Swords Dance and out speed for a KO. Ice Punch provides a more reliable Ice STAB.

Fire fang, Thunder fang, Stone edge, Night slash or Shadow claw could be used over Brick Break / U-Turn. Fire fang dents Forretress, who would other wise wall you, after a SD. Thunder fang is your best bet against Gyarados. Stone edge (or Rock slide if you don’t like the poor accuracy and want to take advantage of the flinch chance) has great coverage and can 1KO some Pokemon you would otherwise have problems with Pokemon after a SD. Night slash or Shadow claw can beat down Dusknoir and bulky psychics. Superpower is not an option on this set as the attack drop conflicts with sword dance.

[SET]
name: SpecsSycle
move 1: Ice Beam / Blizzard
move 3: Super Power / Focus Blast
move 4: Earth Power
item: Choice Specs
ability: Mountaineer / Compound Eyes
nature: +Satk -Def / Timid / Modest
evs: 4 Def / 252 Satk / 252 Spd

[SET COMMENTS]
This set has the ability to do massage damage to most of the OU metagame, provided you predict right. If you run the low accuracy Blizzard and Focus Blast then use the Compound Eyes ability with heavy Rapid Spin support, as Syclant wants to have the ability to switch in and out freely with this set. If you don't want such a high-maintenance Poke than using running Mountaineer, Super Power and Ice beam allows you to still dent Blissey and also be immune to SR. Keep in mind that both Super Power and Focus Blast are unable to 2HKO without SR

[Other Options]
Stone Edge is a good option for dealing with the likes of Moltres and Articuno. Super Power is unable to 1HKO Blissey even with max Atk, so isn't of much note other than on the Choice Specs set, or to 2HKO with less EVs. Thunder Fang and Earth Power will 1HKO Gyarados and Heatran respectively, but don't be tempted to use them on anything that isn't 4x weak as STAB Blizzard or Bug buzz will usually do more. Most of the time its incredibly overpowered STABs will cover it better than a single attack that hits Super Effective against a certain Poke. Choice Band is also an options if you don’t want to have to set up your Physical sweeper, but Syclant isn't build for repeated switch ins. Choice Scarf makes it a decent lead.

[EVs]
Neutral Natured Syclant with max Atk and Life Orb is never guaranteed to 1HKO Blissey with Break Break, but 200 EVs Provide a very reasonable chance and a guaranteed KO with SR in play. Any EVs Leftover from your main form of offence should go into Spd. Always make sure that Syclant can survive two switch ins to SR if running Compound Eyes. This means NEVER give it four Hp EVs. Either eight or none.

[Opinion]
Syclant can tear through some of D/P's prestige walls, but is extremely high maintenance. Its typing is a mixed bag. It has two wonderful STABs for an offensive Poke, but is hindered by a horrible SR weakness. Mountaineer takes care of this, but leaves it using a weaker STAB. If you can keep Syclant in good condition then it will be a great asset to your team.

[Counters]
Infernape can come in on Blizzards and Bug buzz and threaten with Mach Punch. Tentacruel is a good overall counter, but like Infernape dies if Syclant is carrying Earth Power. If the Specs set is being run then Blissey is a good counter, or it can come in on anything other than Brick Break and Substitute on the Mixant set. Priority moves, or Pokes that out speed Syclant can deal very heavy damage once they get in.

Syclant relies on both having extremely powerful and accurate STAB moves and immunity to SR to survive. Taking either one of these away will weaken it significantly. If it is running the Compound Eyes ability then getting down SR and preventing it from being spun away will stop Syclant in it's tracks. If Syclant is using Abomasnow's hail for 100% Acc Blizzard then your own weather changer will hinder it slightly.

Hyra: Do you want partners or no?

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Compound Eyes provided Syclant with an extremely high power 99% accurate STAB in the form of Blizzard.
91%, actually. 70 x 1.3 = 91.

It is also useful to absorb Thunder Waves from Blissey and Cresselia. If you do use substitute than Super Power becomes an option as it can 2HKO Blissey with less EVs.
It's "Superpower".

Fire fang dents Forretress, who would other wise wall you, after a SD.
Isn't it "otherwise"?

Stone edge (or Rock slide if you don’t like the poor accuracy and want to take advantage of the flinch chance) has great coverage and can OHKO some Pokemon you would otherwise have problems with after a SD.
The second "Pokémon" was a typo, I believe. The "OHKO" could be "1HKO", I think, but I've never seen any analysis writer using it.

Choice Band is also an option if you don’t want to have to set up your Physical sweeper, but Syclant isn't build for repeated switch ins. Choice Scarf makes it a decent lead.
Minor fix.

Neutral Natured Syclant with max Atk and Life Orb is never guaranteed to 1HKO Blissey with Break Break
If it was stated before that even Superpower can't OHKO, I think this line is pretty unnecessary. Unless Sunday meant "2HKO".

If it is running the Compound Eyes ability then getting down SR and preventing it from being spun away will stop Syclant in its tracks.
Minor fix again.

For some reason, when I first saw this pokemon I assumed it was an alternate evo for Scyther, evolved by leveling up at the Ice rock :s.

It looks good though, props for creating an awesome pokemon!

Pretty cool project overall. It was professionally done, and the result came out well, especially the sprite.

My only complaint is that Dex Entries 2 and 3 are contradictory. One states that they live alone, and the other states they live in colonies.

Mario With Lasers

The funny part is that I actually suggested in the first pools that we could do a Scyther alt-evo, but everyone ignored me ;_;

Well, it's better for him having 555 Base Total than Scyther/Scizor's 505, anyway.

Personally I would love to jump at the chance to be a mod for the next "Create a Pokemon" thing, but if I'm not picked, Hyra is my second choice.

Height: 5' 7"
Weight: 110 lbs
(For Scylant)

As much as I would love to be generous and say leadership sharing is good, Cooper has sped this up alot by making executive decisions on the movepool and such. if that power is shared among even two people, the entire process will be even slower.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
I reccomend either Myself or Hyra for the next create a Pokemon. All of you know the influence that I have had, having been here from the start, and becoming more and more active as I realised what a wonderful opportunity this was. I created that Analysis (which I will fix, thanks Mario), and have shown I can comprehend what impact almost anything could have on the current metagame. Hyra and I have shown we could work together (expecially when coming up with a name, Auyflus) but if Cooper believes Hyra is a better choice for the roll, or Hyra would prefer not to collaborate, I would gladly step aside, as I know he is competent for the task.

[SET]
name: Mixant
move 1: Blizzard
move 3: Brick Break
move 4: Substitute / Earth Power
item: Life Orb
ability: Compound Eyes
nature: Naive / Rash
evs: 200 Atk/ 56 Satk / 252 Spd

[SET COMMENTS]
Syclant has the ability to tear through many of the most common walls in D/P. Compound Eyes provided Syclant with an extremely high power 91% accurate STAB in the form of Blizzard. Brick Break deals with Blissey and will 2HKO 90% of the time. Bug buzz provides a strong STAB that deals with many opponents. Substitute can be used if you do not want to risk mispredicting, which will often force Syclant to switch out. It is also useful to absorb Thunder Waves from Blissey and Cresselia. If you do use substitute than Superpower becomes an option as it can 2HKO Blissey with less EVs. Those EVs give you the same Atk as a max Atk and Satk Syclant with the trade off of 10% recoil from every attack.

If this set does not have sufficient Rapid Spin support, it will soon fall to passive damage. To combat this you can use ice shell over Compound Eyes, but only do this if you use an Abomasnow to set up hail or switch to the significantly weaker ice beam.

[SET]
name: Swords Ant
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Ice Shard / Ice Punch
move 3: X-Scissor
move 4: Brick Break / U-Turn
item: Life Orb / Expert Belt
ability: Mountaineer
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spd

[SET COMMENTS]
This is a full physical version of Syclant. It's attack reaches astronomical levels after a Swords Dance. Ice Shard takes care of anything that thinks it can switch in on the Swords Dance and out speed for a KO. Ice Punch provides a more reliable Ice STAB.

Fire fang, Thunder fang, Stone edge, Night slash or Shadow claw could be used over Brick Break / U-Turn. Fire fang dents Forretress, who would otherwise wall you, after a SD. Thunder fang is your best bet against Gyarados. Stone edge (or Rock slide if you don’t like the poor accuracy and want to take advantage of the flinch chance) has great coverage and can 1HKO some Pokemon you would otherwise have problems with Pokemon after a SD. Night slash or Shadow claw can beat down Dusknoir and bulky psychics. Superpower is not an option on this set as the attack drop conflicts with sword dance.

[SET]
name: SpecsSycle
move 1: Ice Beam / Blizzard
move 3: Super Power / Focus Blast
move 4: Earth Power
item: Choice Specs
ability: Mountaineer / Compound Eyes
nature: +Satk -Def / Timid / Modest
evs: 4 Def / 252 Satk / 252 Spd

[SET COMMENTS]
This set has the ability to do massage damage to most of the OU metagame, provided you predict right. If you run the low accuracy Blizzard and Focus Blast then use the Compound Eyes ability with heavy Rapid Spin support, as Syclant wants to have the ability to switch in and out freely with this set. If you don't want such a high-maintenance Poke than using running Mountaineer, Super Power and Ice beam allows you to still dent Blissey and also be immune to SR. Keep in mind that both Super Power and Focus Blast are unable to 2HKO without SR

[Other Options]
Stone Edge is a good option for dealing with the likes of Moltres and Articuno. Superpower is unable to 1HKO Blissey even with max Atk, so isn't of much note other than on the Choice Specs set, or to 2HKO with less EVs. Thunder Fang and Earth Power will 1HKO Gyarados and Heatran respectively, but don't be tempted to use them on anything that isn't 4x weak as STAB Blizzard or Bug buzz will usually do more. Most of the time its incredibly overpowered STABs will cover it better than a single attack that hits Super Effective against a certain Poke. Choice Band is also an option if you don’t want to have to set up your Physical sweeper, but Syclant isn't build for repeated switch ins. Choice Scarf makes it a decent lead.

[EVs]
Neutral Natured Syclant with max Atk and Life Orb is never guaranteed to 2HKO Blissey with Break Break, but 200 EVs Provide a very reasonable chance and a guaranteed KO with SR in play. Any EVs Leftover from your main form of offence should go into Spd. Always make sure that Syclant can survive two switch ins to SR if running Compound Eyes. This means NEVER give it four Hp EVs. Either eight or none.

[Opinion]
Syclant can tear through some of D/P's prestige walls, but is extremely high maintenance. Its typing is a mixed bag. It has two wonderful STABs for an offensive Poke, but is hindered by a horrible SR weakness. Mountaineer takes care of this, but leaves it using a weaker STAB. If you can keep Syclant in good condition then it will be a great asset to your team.

[Counters]
Infernape can come in on Blizzards and Bug buzz and threaten with Mach Punch. Tentacruel is a good overall counter, but like Infernape dies if Syclant is carrying Earth Power. If the Specs set is being run then Blissey is a good counter, or it can come in on anything other than Brick Break and Substitute on the Mixant set. Priority moves, or Pokes that out speed Syclant can deal very heavy damage once they get in.

Syclant relies on both having extremely powerful and accurate STAB moves and immunity to SR to survive. Taking either one of these away will weaken it significantly. If it is running the Compound Eyes ability then getting down SR and preventing it from being spun away will stop Syclant in its tracks. If Syclant is using Abomasnow's hail for 100% Acc Blizzard then your own weather changer will hinder it slightly.

Mario With Lasers

I reccomend either Myself or Hyra for the next create a Pokemon. All of you know the influence that I have had, having been here from the start, and becoming more and more active as I realised what a wonderful opportunity this was. I created that Analysis (which I will fix, thanks Mario), and have shown I can comprehend what impact almost anything could have on the current metagame.
Seriously, with this post and with the black Wright in your avatar, I can't think at anything else but Obama.

And yeah, either Hyra or Sunday. Just don't forget to create the typing pools so they won't end up with something like Grass/Bug, Electric/Rock and Rock/Steel or some random crappy combos.

Sunday

I updated my last post. Can anyone see anything else wrong with the Analysis...

I like it, only things I would change are add more crappy moves and egg moves to the movepool, and I'd not include compound eyes as an option, its as broken as ice shell. Add a crappy ability like dugtrio :P

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Voted for option two.

Anyway, I don't think BLizzard should be used outside of a hail team since its accuracy isn't very good. Also, one miss could lead you to loosing Scylant.

Posting to say that this whole thing was awesome. I'm glad I was able to contribute with both the name and 3rd dex entry =3

Sunday

I like it, only things I would change are add more crappy moves and egg moves to the movepool, and I'd not include compound eyes as an option, its as broken as ice shell. Add a crappy ability like dugtrio :P
But the whole Ananlysis is written with Compound Eyes in mind! XD

Voted for option two.

Anyway, I don't think BLizzard should be used outside of a hail team since its accuracy isn't very good. Also, one miss could lead you to loosing Scylant.
Urm, Compound Eyes lol?

I know, but I think its interesting to note that nothing can really switch in that safely, even blissey will be 2HKOed by a modest specs one if SR is out (by focus blast with 97.5% accuracy). I don't think it'll be broken but it'll be pretty garchomp-esque to say the least. Either way it'll be popular though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)