Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl - Release 19th Nov 2021

Why people are hating the chibi style?
I think it's cute. It's a game for 12 yo children... We can't expect Infernape to start bleeding if attacked.
I think that having an issue with the chibi style does not mean people want Ultra Realistic

Presumably they just want it more, like, well, what it was in the Alola games, SWSH, and now Legends Arceus. Or the in-battle stylings.

Why people are hating the chibi style?
I think it's cute. It's a game for 12 yo children... We can't expect Infernape to start bleeding if attacked.
To be fair, it's more a case of hating the *original* chibi style that was shown at the initial teaser.

The one they shown looked horribly unpolished, had some weird proportion issues, the textures were awful too.
The one shown in the latest trailer actually received much more positive feedback.

(Obviously, there's also some people who just dont like chibi in first place, personally I like it, I just find the contrast between the chibi overworld and in-battle realistic scenes a bit *too* impactful, I would have preferred a halfway option like XY did)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Also that's not just a different cover the two books are literally Pokemon-ing this: each book will have "slightly different" art in it
... Why GF. Why complicate what should be a simple artbook. Like, for little figurines it was fine as you were basing them on the mascot Legendary. But in what way are you splitting up the artbook that there's "version exclusive" content. Surely there's not enough Dialga and Palkia art that you're splitting them up that way. Look, people who purchase the game won't care if you get the same pre-order item for both versions. Heck, the cover art alone you could justify being enough of a difference.

What lovely cover artwork.
From the explainer on the website (translated thanks to DeepL) it will have concept art for BDSP as well as the original DP. That'll be fun.
I wonder how BDSP concept art will differ from DP. "Screenshot mockups" and "Grand Underground" are the only things I can think of.

I wonder how BDSP concept art will differ from DP. "Screenshot mockups" and "Grand Underground" are the only things I can think of.
They'll likely show stuff like the process behind designign the chibi stylings in 3D, artwork for the outfits and likely anything needed to bring the trainers to life in 3D, as well as any concept art the designers might have made so they them selves have a sense of how to replicate the original.
Battle backgrounds too, probably.

To be fair, it's more a case of hating the *original* chibi style that was shown at the initial teaser.

The one they shown looked horribly unpolished, had some weird proportion issues, the textures were awful too.
The one shown in the latest trailer actually received much more positive feedback.

(Obviously, there's also some people who just dont like chibi in first place, personally I like it, I just find the contrast between the chibi overworld and in-battle realistic scenes a bit *too* impactful, I would have preferred a halfway option like XY did)
Honestly....lowkey....I kind of wonder how much reception to the initial trailer had them very specifically try to "fix" things they otherwise wouldn't have.

Like this is pure conspiracy, I realize, but i just keep looking at the BDSP renders. They are so flat and sterile....a lot like the initial reveal trailer. It's really stark comparing Roark's render with Roark's actual in-game appearence, where more natural lighting and little tweaks here & there make him have more more "pop" despite ostensibly being the same model. Or more to the point, the player characters.

Honestly....lowkey....I kind of wonder how much reception to the initial trailer had them very specifically try to "fix" things they otherwise wouldn't have.
I don't doubt the critiques they got for the initial teaser gave a "direction" to what needed to be fixed first.

Ultimately that's also something you use early trailers for, see the reactions of the potential buyers.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
This is a good time to remind people that there's no way we've seen the end of BDSP's new content. Even DPPt carryovers like the Poketch have yet to receive elaboration, and we can already sus out altered places like Pal Park and Amity Square just from the map alone. That's to say nothing of how with their modern marketing approaching there's sure to be things kept hidden until release. In short, this trailer is just the beginning

I need to make an amendment to my Brilliant Diamond team. I'm not picking Turtwig, but actually Chimchar, because Infernape is my favorite Pokemon (for real this time)

Right now I have: Infernape, Garchomp, Floatzel/Manaphy, and maybe Staraptor

I want to use Floatzel because of an inside joke between me and my friend and I like it's design but I also might want to use Manaphy cause it's cute and Tail Glow is fun probably. Staraptor is a Pokemon whose design I'm not sure if I like or not but I think I might use it. Infernape and Garchomp are a given and not going anywhere. I kinda want to trade a Turtwig into my file so I can use both lol

Edit: Just realized I could maybe do some sort of crappy, pseudo rain team if I give Floatzel or Manaphy Rain Dance since both of their abilities compliment it...it's not perfect but just maybe...

Last edited:
I also might want to use Manaphy cause it's cute and Tail Glow is fun probably.
I recently used Manaphy on my Regenade Planitum locke because it outclasses every other bulky water. Tail Glow + base 100 pure water type is broken. Tail Glow in itself is broken and the only mons that get it are Manaphy, Volbeat (who lack the stats) and Xurkitree (lacks the speed and overall bulkyness). I've banned Manaphy from my future BDSP team but mon is so fun ye.

PS: Also IA has no way of countering encore. Encore (with Togekiss for example which u get as a Togepi egg) into Manaphy + 2/3 tail glows and everything falls.

I think that having an issue with the chibi style does not mean people want Ultra Realistic

Presumably they just want it more, like, well, what it was in the Alola games, SWSH, and now Legends Arceus. Or the in-battle stylings.

I understand the concerns and I expressed myself poorly.
What I actually wanted to say: People judged the initial trailer like it was the final version. It's like that tree on the initial trailer from Sw/Sh.

In the end, Pokemon will always be the same game we've been playing since the late 90s. Unless Legends changes it, which I hope so.

Those titles are the least probable to have innovations of any kind. They are remakes of beloved classics, made by other developers. If they screw up anything, they will be marked for eternity. This is why the games will be so loyal to the originals one.

What I actually wanted to say: People judged the initial trailer like it was the final version.
Problem is, this is very very bad from TPCI in first place, to accept that a early alpha iteration of the game was shown.

One thing is a incomplete but well on the way game, another one is a game with literal alpha footage presented as the teaser.
On a game that, notably, has NO content to develop as 99% of it is a 1:1 of DP.

And much worse, if you notice, there's even discordance between parts of the trailer, with the UI itself, with for example the intro cutscene of wild battles being different between some of the sequences.

So even this trailer wasnt even the actual game, but a bunch of multiple versions stuck toghether.

This is actually a really big problem, because it shows that TPCI is likely forcing the release dates again, and just demanded a trailer ready for the 25th anniversary no matter if the game wasnt ready.

And remember what happened with SwSh? That Dexit had to happen due to release date being too soon and not being able to actually get the pokemon animations done in time?

With both Arceus Legends and BDSP showing the same sign of "game is incomplete yet we already accept preorders", this is actually a very bothersome scenario for what concerns the future releases of the game.

As much as I enjoy Pokemon and usually defend GameFreaks, being forced on a "release incomplete game, patch rest later, people are sheeps they'll buy it anyway" by TPCI (or whoever decides the release schedule) is *very* bothersome and how certain other companies have ruined themselves.
It's true, buyers are mostly kids that may not care, but there is a limit even for these.

While release date woes are absolutely going to cause issues for this series until they literally can't handle it any more and also I would not be surprised if that was at play here...

I am not going to call the initial reveal anything akin to an "alpha". That's just blatant exaggeration. The biggest differences visually are some texture touch ups and lighting: the rest of the game looks fairly similar and no one had any real (that is to say, other than the general style of the game) issues with the environments or battles as shown. The game was likely pretty far along.

In most games this is probably pretty normal. Various Mario games have had a notable amount of visual flair touch ups and such between reveal & release, as an example. Smash Bros ultimate's big reveal trailer literally had models breaking & the demo for the game had incomplete assets and that game was due in 6 months.

It was shocking for Pokemon because generally they don't do that (Let's Go I swear got a bit of a downgrade....and ya'll those wild area trees still look real bad). But this time, they did for both BDSP AND Legends Arceus.

e: This iis all a lot of words to say "saying the game was basically incomplete at reveal because the lighting & textures improved" is a bit much

There is one thing I'm wondering: Do you think Gamefreak knows about people wanting Megas back? Do you think they think the amount of people that want them back are enough to warrant bringing them back in, say Gen 9?

I never really thought that Megas would return in BDSP, but I do wonder if it's something they considered at one point.

I am not going to call the initial reveal anything akin to an "alpha". That's just blatant exaggeration. The biggest differences visually are some texture touch ups and lighting: the rest of the game looks fairly similar and no one had any real (that is to say, other than the general style of the game) issues with the environments or battles as shown. The game was likely pretty far along.

e: This iis all a lot of words to say "saying the game was basically incomplete at reveal because the lighting & textures improved" is a bit much
You see, I used to think about the same, but I've watched a bit of video analysis of the trailers, and there's more of graphic changes than just lightning and textures, way more. Some areas had NPCs moved or changed, the camera got redesigned, the UI got actually changed between parts *of the same trailer*.

Now, while I am personally still fine that they are at least improving both games, the "we will show incomplete footage yet accept preorder" is a practice that has been well known in certain other companies that have gradually degraded... and it's not something I am happy to see from TPCI.

While they have shown early footage in previous cases, it wasnt *this* bad of a difference from the final product. Even SwSh early footage wasnt very far from the final product (and yes, the tree is still there).
It's even bigger of a offender for BDSP, because this game is basically only a graphic update: there's no story to design, no NPCs to program, no mechanics to implement, there's already a solid core to just copy with a couple refreshed features and that's it.

late edit: I want to clarify better, I am not criticizing the games (which I think are looking well and I'm 99% going to get), or the trailers, I am criticizing the practice of using footage that's not actually representative of the game as base for preorders. It's a dangerous shenenigan and we've seen where it led stuff like Blizzard and Bethesda when they realized they can abuse it.

Last edited:
You see, I used to think about the same, but I've watched a bit of video analysis of the trailers, and there's more of graphic changes than just lightning and textures, way more. Some areas had NPCs moved or changed, the camera got redesigned, the UI got actually changed between parts *of the same trailer*.

Now, while I am personally still fine that they are at least improving both games, the "we will show incomplete footage yet accept preorder" is a practice that has been well known in certain other companies that have gradually degraded... and it's not something I am happy to see from TPCI.

While they have shown early footage in previous cases, it wasnt *this* bad of a difference from the final product. Even SwSh early footage wasnt very far from the final product (and yes, the tree is still there).
It's even bigger of a offender for BDSP, because this game is basically only a graphic update: there's no story to design, no NPCs to program, no mechanics to implement, there's already a solid core to just copy with a couple refreshed features and that's it.

late edit: I want to clarify better, I am not criticizing the games (which I think are looking well and I'm 99% going to get), or the trailers, I am criticizing the practice of using footage that's not actually representative of the game as base for preorders. It's a dangerous shenenigan and we've seen where it led stuff like Blizzard and Bethesda when they realized they can abuse it.
I skimmed the video (mostly for comparisons) and honestly I'm still not seeing anything major enough to have this kind of reaction (though the camera positioning is pretty interesting to see side by side). The bulk of the game is still unified enough to make a major decision like preorder, as shown by, I think, the fact that no one's really brought up any inter-trailer inconsistencies.

I dont know I think at this point we're just going to have to agree to disagree. Consider me more of a development optimist in this situation

I dont know I think at this point we're just going to have to agree to disagree. Consider me more of a development optimist in this situation
It's not much a case of disagreement tbh, I think we're just looking at 2 separate things.

I'm optimistic about the development of the *games* (as I said, I think they're looking great in fact) but I'm skeptical about the direction the mother company has been taking as far as advertising and design philosophy is going.

Game Freak has been hindered by technology.

Back when Pokémon main series was for portable systems, Pokémon could seriously contend with any jRPG you can think of, mainly because during the 1990-2000s era, apart from Golden Sun (which did not came until GBA), jRPGs were seen (and still are, just look at Dragon Quest, SMT or Persona) and a few others, most heavy RPGs were designed for non-portable systems (SoA [DC], FF [SNES, then PSX], Dragon Quest [jumped from NES to SNES, same as FF], and so on, so on, so on, in the 2000+ eras they kept developing these kind of games mainly for PS2/GC, and not only jRPGs, but any kind of RPG (Tales of Symphonia was initially exclusive of GC, same happened to other aRPGs), and handheld systems were mostly suited for sRPGs (tactics, advance war, Fire Emblem, this one being a curious case because FE jumped from NES/NES to GBA and then, apart from 2 tittles that were developed for GC and Wii, became a handheld franchise).

What I mean is, during those times, (from GB to even NDS), when development time needed was much shorter and also the investment of money was noticeably inferior, you could literally compare in terms of quality any past Pokémon game to the greatest jRPG you can think of because if you exclude the ones like Chrono Trigger or other classic jRPGs focused on long stories and good narrative, there wasn't anything like Pokémon. Not even the franchises it is based on, like the DQ Monsters subsaga. In terms of technical quality, all the handheld games are pretty similar. For sure, there are a few that look better than others, but let's say there's no real difference between a Wario Land 3 or a Pokémon Ruby, both look just fine. And that was the thing back then: games looked "just fine". But then they felt obligated to change everything.

Videogames, specially after the 3D open world paradigm began, are about comparisons. What was Pokémon Gold? Pokémon Gold. What is Pokémon Sword and Shield? Worse Breath of the Wild. Worse Xenoblade. Worse... Here's the thing. After games, even handheld games, started to improve graphically, Game Freak couldn't afford to keep doing Pokémon in NDS style. Now, Nintendo Switch is an hybrid system, this is the first time in Nintendo history that big companies can not develop classic portable games to Switch, because Switch is like Nintendo Wii, or Game Cube, or Wii U, or SNES. It is where the BIG games, and not the handheld games, belong to. Game Freak is a handheld company forced to suddenly develop games for a big system, and thats why they are having so much problems regarding technical issues and overall quality of graphics (in this sense, Sword and Shield are rushed, very rushed, in fact, til this day I do sincerely believe that Dexit wasn't their intention, and that they somehow messed up and, because it was impossible to delay the games due to TPC pressure, they just improvised on the fly (therefor the -now proved- lies of "we are doing this to improve the animations") and used that error to sell 2 DLCs, but that's another theme.

As a fan of Pokémon, and knowing that Game Freak has not the best team when it comes to programming, I'm not asking for BotW, XenoSaga, MH graphics, nor story or narrative or character development. No. I'd be happy with SwSh graphics on Switch (polishing a lot of aspects, like c'mon, those Pokémon dissapearing because potato, the infamous popping, framerate in wild areas online, the ladders thing, walking animations, character expresiveness, etc, etc), but they need to relax themselves in what matters the most and focus on content. Pokémon is about content. There's no single jRPG in the history of videogames with a formula that equals Pokémon formula. There just isn't. With minor effort on the technical side, you can offer games with lot of things to do. It isn't even difficult. How many hours can you put into a standard jRPG? 50, 60, 100 hours? They are substantially longer than Pokémon. Ok. Then you finish it, what now? And that's where Pokémon formula has always shined. You have the possibility of trading AND fighting others for dozens of hours, you have the possibility of learn to (if you still don't) breed, then use those Pokémon to confront Battle Facilities, because Pokémon has an actual metagame, it has an actual competitive, strategized side of gameplay that most games of its genre lacks.

Just to put one real example, a Pokémon game with a story worth of 20-30 hours of gameplay, with a Wild Area, some "sidequests", 500 to 600 wild Pokémon + the possibility of obtaining others via transfer, co-op and online battles, underground, contests, PokéWood, a noticeable post-game the likes of BW2 after the main story where you get to obtain some more legendaries and met some characters and fight some high leveled trainers, with a battle frontier, new or recycled, with 4 or 5 facilities, something akin to secret bases and a Join Avenue, rematches, 10 or 12 legendaries with in-game locations/events, alternate post-game challenges similar to the white treehollow/black skyscrapper, radar or some new tech with shiny hunting, more customizable options in online battles and... and that's it.

And you've done NOTHING new really. You've just implemented things from past games (not even all of them), and just with that, you've a game worthy of 200-300 hours of gameplay BEFORE you even have time to start burning hours doing your preferred shit (breeding or whatever). And no jRPG, no one to this day, has this much potential in terms of replayability.

The question of "expecting more" is resulted by BotW making expectations going higher and higher for each release of any big and stagnant franchise. Like Pokemon.

And this results in rushed games like Sw/Sh, with the "wild area" (that IS an attempt of open world), that look like it's gonna be included on the remakes.

See... BotW2 was announced in 2019 and still no release date. Only next year... Sw/Sh were also announced in 2019, and released the same year. This is obviously rushed content.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
See... BotW2 was announced in 2019 and still no release date. Only next year... Sw/Sh were also announced in 2019, and released the same year. This is obviously rushed content.
SWSH clearly had dev problems (although I don't necessarily believe it's entirely a time issue), but BoTW2's announcement and release gap shouldn't be held against it. The teaser basically amounted to little more than "This game will exist at some undefined point in the future" and was generally probably too early

The question of "expecting more" is resulted by BotW making expectations going higher and higher for each release of any big and stagnant franchise. Like Pokemon.

And this results in rushed games like Sw/Sh, with the "wild area" (that IS an attempt of open world), that look like it's gonna be included on the remakes.

SWSH clearly had dev problems (although I don't necessarily believe it's entirely a time issue), but BoTW2's announcement and release gap shouldn't be held against it. The teaser basically amounted to little more than "This game will exist at some undefined point in the future" and was generally probably too early
*laughs in Bayonetta 3*

Fusion Flare

i have hired this cat to stare at you
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Im not sure how close the thread is to being locked again, but just in case I wanna create one more discussion.

With the info we now have and your thoughts on the game's current state considered, what is your biggest lingering question about it, the one thing you'd like more info on the most? Personally I'm super curious to see what's happening to Amity Square and Pal Park as the BDSP map and other information that puts both their purposes firmly in the realm of redundancy are strongly suggesting they're both getting a makeover.
got a few.

1: is the gym leader order the same as in platinum? the LARGE gap between gyms 2 and 3 in DP is annoying, and it won't be something i look forward to.

2: will cynthia's garchomp be prepared against the incoming wave of fairy types who think they can flaunt their new typing in the face of a mon that has put the fear into hundreds of fans? aka, will it have poison jab?

3: will the prism scale be included? milotic sounds cool as hell to use, so i might try that.

anyways, questions aside, i'd like to talk about the pokemon I'LL be using for BDSP.
Absolutely Guaranteed Members:
:bw/piplup: :bw/empoleon:
Now, I like all the Sinnoh Starters, but to me, Empoleon is the King of Kings. Piplup is fuckin adorable, and while Prinplup is a victim of the "awkward midle stages" I truly ADORE Empoleon. I also think that most of the water starters are generally the coolest out of their starter trios (except inteleon, fuck that guy) so this will be my main decision for my first playthrough.

:bw/tangrowth:
If you know me, you know that i never shut the fuck up about Tangrowth, because GOD tangrowth is so based. even though you do have to wait a little to get it in pokemon platinum, i can make the exception because its worth it to get one of, if not my favorite pokemon.
Incredibly Likely:

:bw/houndoom::bw/magmortar:
When it comes to fire-types, there are such few and far between...Infernape is locked off as a fellow starter unless I want it transferred from someone else, and Flareon and Rapidash are a no-go for me. So! That leaves these two! I for one, prefer Magmortar much more, primarily due to the nuclear power and the fact i've used it before, but I can understand people who prefer Houndoom, what with the Dark STAB and not having giant fucking lips for a mouth.

From there, there are quite a lot of pokemon to choose from when it comes to what i want on a sinnoh team. And lots of them are very interesting as well....Ah, but what to choose, however..?

:bw/garchomp: :bw/gliscor: :bw/rhyperior:
Ground types? If the encounter tables are identical to that of Platinum, then no doubt will these be very early, and very good choices...you can never go wrong with the raw power of STAB Earthquake...
:bw/honchkrow: :bw/weavile::bw/spiritomb:
Dark types? Ah...but some come later than others, and the ones that I prefer evolve very, very late. Regardless, their intimidating looks and excellent offensive prowess is desirable.....
:bw/toxicroak: :bw/drapion: :bw/crobat:
Poison Types? With the culmination of the new Fairy Type knocking on the door of the Sinnoh Remakes, It won't be as simple as knocking down the Clefairies riddled through Sinnoh with a Brick Break or two, so these may come in use...
:bw/gengar: :bw/dusknoir::bw/mismagius:
Ghost Types? Some are fast, but some are very, very slow....regardless, such useful utility against fighting types is no less useful...these astral allies will make for quite an effective
:bw/froslass: :bw/mamoswine:
Ice Types? Make sure to bring a jacket or two...these are often necessary to fend off the wrath of the Champion. Half of Cynthia's team doesn't fancy Ice Moves, did you know? And with her signature Pokemon...you'll need to cool her down as fast as possible....

and that's what i'd choose for my team in sinnoh. but now that i think of it, maybe recreating old friends isn't so bad, either. I do have pokemon teams that I fancy i could use once more... like some of my friends here.
:bw/torterra: :bw/drifblim: :bw/floatzel: :bw/lucario: :bw/skuntank: :bw/alakazam:
:bw/infernape: :bw/roserade: :bw/vaporeon: :bw/mamoswine: :bw/magnezone: :bw/yanmega:
:bw/empoleon: :bw/garchomp: :bw/crobat: :bw/magmortar: :bw/gallade: :bw/jolteon:

This Sinnoh experience will be very intriguing, and i await the games with great interest.

Last edited:
2: will cynthia's garchomp be prepared against the incoming wave of fairy types who think they can flaunt their new typing in the face of a mon that has put the fear into hundreds of fans? aka, will it have poison jab?
I don't why so many people are worried about Fairy-types making Garchomp less scary. Like yeah, it's a Dragon-type, but it also has STAB Earthquake, which is barely weaker than super effective Poison Jab and Iron Head.

100 × 1.5 = 150
80 × 2 = 160

It's a fucking Garchomp, y'all. Of course it's still going to be terrifying.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)