SPOILERS! Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl Data Dumps

It happened to blastoise after all these years, maybe one day.
Red and Blue released in 1998. Blastoise got Shell Smash in 2020 (I think? Maybe it got it beforehand via home or something but Isle of Armor is when you could actually use it). It took Blastoise 22 years to get it.

By these calculations, Torterra will get Shell Smash in 2028.

Mark your calendars folks! It's happening!

I have a theory that if we get the ability to transfer BDSP Gen 4 mons to SWSH via HOME then there will be moveset updates for the Gen 4 mons. I'm holding out for Shell Smash Torterra too Chadlad50.
This is a good point. I don't think it's gonna happen as much as I want it to, but the move distributions between BDSP and SWSH are somewhat different it seems. If Shell Smashing Torterra is gonna be a thing I think this is how it'll happen

You can't see my thousand-yard stare, but let me tell you getting drawn into the Hall of Origin with a bootleg Azure Flute circa 2007 was a religious experience. It was also the most challenging catch of the entire series. The Refresh. The Recover. The world-ending Hyper Beam. The Struggle when those scant attack PP ran out. All these things unfolded to the thunder of unseen kettledrums, ramping up the pressure to a blasphemous scramble for the capture to end all captures.

The internet jeers: "What kind of bogus God gets shackled by a 10-year-old?" The joke completely fails to consider the intensity of that feat for a youth who had spent his only win button on Heatran. I remember, way back in the day, rumors of Darkrai were making rounds because a plush had been released before his animated feature film was announced. Concerning Arceus, there was almost nothing: a few unassuming lines of courier text in a GameFaqs guide and a single sprite on PUK(?). Information wasn't shared and re-shared the way it is today. There was so little it could have been fake, much like truck Mew long before it. It was a leap of faith, and nothing could have prepared me for the landing.

I say all this to impress on the reader what a shock it was to discover this forbidden track in piano-happy Sinnoh when Smogon University was young. It's a shock to hear it even now, cleaned and remastered for the world to hear. That Arceus of mine is still on Pearl Version and Battle Revolution, sporting an Iron Plate and a Royal Ribbon.* My reaction now is the same as the day we met—the only worthy reaction.

I kneel.

After I waxed nostalgic here, I went and checked on Him.
Date caught: 4-18-2008.

I forgot how big a deal ribbons used to be. Do we have information on ribbons in BDSP? Any new? Any not returning?

Last edited:
I find it interesting how Barry went from being the highest levelled trainer in Platinum, to now arguably worse than Dawn/Lucas at their respective apexes. Below is Dawn's Empoleon team at its best, perfect IVs, fully EV trained, all holding items:

1636611814456.png

And this is Barry's Empoleon team at its apex. Kinda raggedy IVs and EVs, with only two thirds of his team holding items:

1636611890155.png

Not a huge positive or negative just interesting that Rowan's assistant who you never battled in Platinum, has now arguably surpassed your rival at their respective peaks.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Shining Pearl kind of got dumped...
https://www.reddit.com/r/SwitchPirates/comments/qq9605 ...and by kind of, I mean you just have to change one flag on Brilliant Diamond to change which game it is.
Man accessing the other game within a game is just getting stranger and stranger. First in BW you had to use the multiplayer function to cross dimensions, then B2W2 had to use keys, Gen VII had to jump through an Ultra Wormhole, and now they're requiring us to know programming!

92: "Western Zone"
93: "Eastern Zone"
94: "Southwestern Zone"
95: "Central Zone"
96: "Northwestern Zone"
97: "Southeastern Zone"
98: "Northeastern Zone"
I know it's probably been overshadowed by the Grand Underground, but those zones are likely for Pastoria's Great Marsh, specifically the stations where the railcar can take you.

120: "Still-Water Cavern"
121: "Sunlit Cavern"
122: "Big Bluff Cavern"
123: "Stargleam Cavern"
124: "Glacial Cavern"
125: "Bogsunk Cavern"
126: "Typhlo Cavern"
Could the caves maybe be for the small rooms and caverns for the big rooms?

I TOLD Y'ALL THIS WOULD BE THE GOAT!!!

NO ONE BELIEVED ME! EVEN I DIDN'T BELIEVE ME!

SINNOH GANG UNDEFEATED!!!
I'll give you that, these rematches are pretty GOAT. I'm blown away!

the ai's literally cheating...
It does that time to time, you get used to it (though nowadays they try to correct them with patches).

View attachment 384299
ILCA how did you make a Power Whip Mr. Mime with 0 IVs in Attack to boot? I want to unsee it.
Maybe it was meant to be Power Swap?

They're gonna have quite a lengthy move fix patch, aren't they?

Exp. Share... Balanced?
They were preparing for the post game this entire time.

I'm also not joking when I say I full heartily think some kids are going to get their souls crushed by the Final Garchomp, even with a Level 100 Team.
This game separates the men from the boys.

I think there might be a galactic grunt out there with no moves.

Look at that Tauros set! I think ILCA invested EVs into the wrong attacking stat.
Are these definite teams in the game or all teams pulled from files? Because some of the odder ones could be test teams.

Isn't it funny, though? USUM and BDSP are the main series games with the most thoughtful teams... and (not so) coincidentally, those games had little involvement from the Game Freak veterans.

Perhaps it's time they left the teambuilding for someone else.
HEAR, HEAR!

How does it use the move, though? Does it pretend to use a whip? Or does it get an actual whip?
Now I can only imagine Mr. Mime doing the whip dance.
Really, tangela, tangrowth & tropius aren't in the underground?

Utterly bizarre decision there.
Well with the discovery of the amazing rematch teams that make up for the initial Gym teams they gotta do something that makes no sense.

I've said it multiple times, they dont design it because they don't care.
Honestly I don't think it's even that. There's no difficulty because they probably aren't even thinking about it. At most they just think to make post game the "hard mode" (which ILCA just took up to a new level).

Ho-Oh doesnt need Brave Bird. The mighty birb used an infinitesimal part of its power to give Brave Bird to the rest of Pokémon in Sinnoh, sacrificing himself again for the greater good like he did when resurrected the deceased mons in gsc, while pussy lugia was like "omg my wings make storms and my tower is burning, i better run and reclude myself in a random island leaving this town, their people and Pokémon to their luck".
Huh, didn't think about Lugia able to create storms part. Maybe the anime had the right idea to change it's tower burning down from being a lightning fire it could have easily blown out to be burned during a war thus it felt the humans have disrespected it.

OOH! WAIT! We can combine them! An invading force got into the Brass Tower and started to ransack it, so out of anger how humans have disrespected it, Lugia summons a thunderstorm to strike the tower with lightning to burn it down and then rain so the fire wouldn't spread to Ho-Oh's Tower, but other than that sign of respect for its fellow bird mascot it was out of there.

You'll be pleased to know that saving the game is very fast. :psysly:
It was apparently something ILCA snuck in while GF wasn't looking.

GF was very crossed with them when they found out and gave them a stern talking. Their vision for a 1:1 remake of Sinnoh was ruined. ILCA at this time brought up the rematch teams and, still distraught, GF told them to do whatever they want. ILCA accepted the challenge.

You know, for we to be blessed with those those OP big brained strat in-game oponents, we get cursed in all the remaining aspects of the game ☠
Yeah, because despite learning about the rematch teams, I'm still not getting the game (at least not at full price). It doesn't do what I like from the previous remakes, and it's kind of clear that Legends: Arceus is the Pokemon game GF expects everyone fan to pay attention to and buy. One main reason for BDSP is to get those who hadn't played Sinnoh to get up-to-date as L:A is gonna make a lot of references to the Gen IV games.

I'm dead at that Darkrai's nickname. :psysly:
We must never forget... and constantly tease GF about it.

I didn't think I'd want the patch to Shiny Lock anything, but...
Oomph, reminds me of this:

Remember the Jirachi and Mew that you can get as save game bonuses for SwSh and LGPE?

You can get them as soon as you get to Floaroma. Damn near fell off my chair when I saw it.
You know, I'm seriously considering using both in my playthrough now. I mean, if I'm about to "Gotta Use 'Em All!", why not add them?
Ah, reminds me when I was able to get Manaphy from the first Ranger game early in my Diamond game. Used it as my Water-type, anything weak to Water had a very bad day. :blobuwu:

It's like someone at modern GameFreak hates mushy boys.
They fear Spore.

I wanna join in posting music:

>No Shell Smash Torterra

I have lost interest
Look, here's the thing, if they give Torterra Shell Smash, it's gonna leave some Pokemon homeless:

Can you really (forcefully) evict them?

Last edited:
So if someone would want to beat the finał Elite Four Teams without changing the party what would be the best Team to do so? As I assume it's doable.

And this is Barry's Empoleon team at its apex. Kinda raggedy IVs and EVs, with only two thirds of his team holding items:
Barry was a victim of being too faithful to continuity. Similarly to Hop, all his Pokemon preserve the same IVs as when you first fight them, and also seem to build on the spread out EVs they got in the story as well. Incidentally, despite being at Level 9 Barry lacks STAB on his starters in this first fight which is the same as DP but still pretty sad.
1636617080792.png

However I did notice something weird looking through these teams as in that final battle, Barry is at least fully EV'd on everything but the Empoleon set has Attack investment for some reason. In the story battles, this was being built up all along even though it is Timid, while Monferno similarly has useless SpA EVs while it is Jolly and has no special moves at all. Meanwhile Grotle goes with a balanced set of EVs but tends towards physical moves later.
1636617478667.png

1636617141600.png

In general level-wise, Barry has actually been consistently buffed from the original DP from this point forward, originally being 26/25/25/28.
1636617719424.png
1636617738506.png

However they still made the decision to stick him with a Thief Heracross which is probably why Heracross lacks an item in the final fight, but it doesn't keep Thief there while Snorlax at least has Covet. In the original DP he was 31/32/30/32/35 here.
1636617776064.png

Barry's final fight forms the basis of his postgame team and is slightly buffed from 48/49/50/49/51/53.
1636618339841.png

So yeah they handled Barry kind of weirdly here. I'm not sure if anyone else actually has higher levels compared to the original game in the campaign but his postgame showing is kind of sad.

EDIT: Well the spreadsheet has updated while mid-writing this post, and according to the bottom tab changelog it turns out ILCA has corrected these EV spreads to use the right offensive stats. There are some interesting changes there but seems like mostly just EV fixes, minor set adjustments, and one level nerf for Head Smash Aggron.
1636618007842.png

1636618123831.png

So if someone would want to beat the finał Elite Four Teams without changing the party what would be the best Team to do so? As I assume it's doable.
Withouth labbing too much, if you face them with your in-game team (this means random ivs, natures and evs, and this alone is a noticeable disadvantage), your best, most simple and efficient bet is to rely on DD.

Aaron: Gyarados sets up on Scizor and proceeds to sweep the rest of the team.

Bertha: Gyarados sets up on Whiscash and Hippowdon.

Flint: Gyarados sets up in every member of the team except for Magmortar and Ape. You may want to EQ Magmortar instead of Waterfall to avoid flame body, and have some kind of hazards to break through infernape sash, who otherwise ko you back with t-punch and if thats the case you'll have to rely on waterfall flinch. 1 layer of spikes/sr with a suicidal lead is enough, then you can get +1 on houndoom and win. The easiest way is to put a lum on gyara, get to +1 on ninetales and proceed to sweep the rest of the team with EQ, to negate sunny day. All of them should be ohkod except for arcanine, who unfortunately cant do anything to you so you just get to +1 again and keep eqing.

Lucian is a truly bad mu for Gyara. DDs are negated by screens and without healing items (this is all without healing items, if you use hyper potions, etc, then you can just recovery stall the mr mime because psychic will be a 3ohko minimum on random gyara due to its natural bulk and the mr mime being non invested in spa), you cant set up to +2 on espeon's psychic, bronzong wont be ohkod by waterfall even at +2 probably, Alakazam is a problem, it'll outspeed you even at +1 with almost any random gyara you caught (i used a lvl 82, 200 evs on spe, 10 ivs on spe, neutral natured gyara as an example, which is probably better than what youll get on the game when you catch a random magikarp), so you need the +2 to be 100% safe and also ensure the OHKO in things like Gallade. Leading with taunt gyara may help and leftovers will greatly help in this one. Slowbro hard walls you also with the combination of leftys and being full invested on def, but i dont thing psychic from a 0 spa neutral natured slowbro is even a 3hko so maybe you can pull it through with EQ. This one is dangerous, maybe your best bet is to just try to deal with the mr mime with a fast attacker, altho the ohko can be tricky because of 252 on hp + filter.

I dont see a 100% win condition with a random gyara in cynthia but a combination of it + the rest of your team could be enough to deal with it.

KaenSoul

Shared:Power Little Knight
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
I'm hearing rumors the patch may have made more moveset changes.

https://pastebin.com/VRXqGQNc

This is the master list, anyone mind giving a check?
So i was checking Chatot and noticed Boombust is still egg move only, same with Taillow.
And thats a problem because nothing else in the Flying egg group learn Boomburst.
So useless you can get egg moves in the underground or some other special area, they cant access the move until HOME allow you to transfer them from gen vii.
And all of that because Noivern isnt in the game.

So i was checking Chatot and noticed Boombust is still egg move only, same with Taillow.
And thats a problem because nothing else in the Flying egg group learn Boomburst.
So useless you can get egg moves in the underground or some other special area, they cant access the move until HOME allow you to transfer them from gen vii.
And all of that because Noivern isnt in the game.
It's possible they kept the egg move due to the fact future Home compatibility is tecnically already confirmed.

However, considering it was shown Radar pokemon can have HAs... I was thinking of the fact that in SwSh, brilliant pokes can occasionally have a egg move. I don't completely exclude that either radar or underground pokemon can indeed have pre-learned egg moves.

Unfortunately, just like SWSH, BDSP only allows 20 minutes for local and online battles. They had ONE FUCKING JOB
And this kills competitive for me again. I was gonna get the games but now it's more single player experience. When Pokémon have access to recover/roost 20 minutes means nothing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)