Pokemon Legends - Arceus - 28th Jan 2022 *Official Content Only*

Stealth rock does direct damage and (says it) surrounds the Pokemon with shards
"okay, it does some chip damage as well. that's fine, lots of control moves do that, like Infesta-"
*stealth rock does 80% on a neutral hit*

Listen, if you're going to mess up the battle system enough that the status effect part is useless despite this being the first game where locking down the movement of a single mon could have conceivable use, please buff the status part. If I wanted to deal direct damage, I would have put Stone Edge in that moveset.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
"okay, it does some chip damage as well. that's fine, lots of control moves do that, like Infesta-"

Listen, if you're going to mess up the battle system enough that the status effect part is useless despite this being the first game where locking down the movement of a single mon could have conceivable use, please buff the status part. If I wanted to deal direct damage, I would have put Stone Edge in that moveset.
To be fair its a fully-evolved mon against a Psyduck who is 3 levels under. Idt it will be too strong in terms of BP. Also worth noting Kleavor was in Strong Style so damage is imcreased (maybe SR is unchanged and Strong Style is what lets you do damage with Status moves?)

Idt this is a move change that will carry on to future games either, feels like more of a change to adjust how the mechanics of Legends work since you'll be fighting wild mons most of the time and they can't switch in to take hazard damage

Have to remind you that this game doesn't have PvP, there's no indication that you ever battle more than a single pokemon at time, so for the move to be a nuke with extra annoyance makes perfect sense. It's very unlikely that you'll ever be playing the "slow game" against Alpha/Royal pokemon either.

Don't worry your Volcarona in OU is still save from being literally exploded before even getting in.

Well keep in mind this is Stealth Rock being used by Noble Kleavor
We don't know if Nobles get extra boost to their stats while enraged, and it might always be a passive "strong style" buff going on. Stone Edge might've killed.

Have to remind you that this game doesn't have PvP, there's no indication that you ever battle more than a single pokemon at time, so for the move to be a nuke with extra annoyance makes perfect sense. It's very unlikely that you'll ever be playing the "slow game" against Alpha/Royal pokemon either.

Don't worry your Volcarona in OU is still save from being literally exploded before even getting in.
we do know you can fight 2 pokemon at once in the wild, at least.

we do know you can fight 2 pokemon at once in the wild, at least.
What I meant is, actual pokemon battles with switches. I was referring to the fact that it could be a "enemy only" attack, that the player doesn't even get access to, because you aren't going to be facing entities that can, well, switch pokemon, so a entry hazard would be quite pointless

I recognize that hazards in their current main form don't fit well. Hence why I stated that if we're going to be in this position, I would much prefer it having additional status utility (such as having it trigger in more circumstances) rather than just adding non-status damage to it.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
Honestly I think we might just be missing context. Considering that right before Kleavor uses SR, we see this -
Screenshot_20220113-123630_YouTube.jpg

Which means it is in Strong Style. It could just be that instead of SR being adjusted, this is an effect caused by Strong Style since that is the "higher damage" strategy. Would definitely be very interesting if moves had outright different effects based on their styles.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Well that was nice. No new mons or characters, but a decent closer look at some of the gameplay elements and features.

A couple of notable things:
  1. Nice animation of the character actually recalling their Pokemon when it faints
  2. Stealth rock does direct damage and (says it) surrounds the Pokemon with shards
  3. You can sneak up on alpha Pokemon
This game wasn't made with me in mind, was it?

Seriously though, I'm more surprised that Stealth Rock is in the game than it dealing direct damage. Wild Pokemon don't switch, so entry hazards seem kind of pointless against them. Agile Style Thunder Wave didn't deal damage, so maybe Strong Style Status Moves turn into attacks. I had a feeling I wasn't going to use Strong Style anyway. (Unless it turns Poison Powder into Toxic or something like that, but I think becoming an attack is way more likely.)

Pretty interesting. I like the research part and tying the pokedex into missions and requests. For now this post will be a quick overview of some numbers and move details I noticed in the video, won't go into theorymonning stats but in general they're still pretty high and possibly based on their bases.

1642088272142.png

Cyndaquil only starts with Quick Attack.

1642088300548.png

Bidoof has Rollout at base.
1642088319824.png

Starly is in a blue ball.
1642088365737.png

Most mons have all 0s in their stat circle at this point but the fresh caught Shinx has 3.

In general it seems early level status is not as common as the usual Growl and Tail Whip, but you probably get it around level 10 as seen with Swords Dance Oshawott and Baby-Doll Eyes Buneary.
1642088838219.png

Quick Attack and Baby-Doll Eyes are down to 20 PP from 30.

1642089025503.png

Wild Charge is down to 10 PP from 15 and Thunder is down to 5 PP from 10, matching the other high power moves.

1642089079173.png

Double-Edge is down to 5 PP from 15. Apparently Double Hit was always 10 PP for some reason, but it might work differently this game (EDIT: It seems like it is a status move based on the effectiveness dot and Kleavor buffing itself with it). In general it seems like the moves lower down the list/higher power moves are shown to be unstylable and also have been standardized to 5 PP so you can't just spam them.

1642089209335.png

Nothing new except showing Hydro Pump but this Floatzel has used quite a bit of PP, even with just using its spammable early game moves.
1642089297231.png

Thunderbolt is down to 10 PP from 15.

Interestingly Kleavor uses Double Hit at 12:15 and instead of doing damage, it gets an animation and message that implies it's a status move/self buff, though it could just be part of a more general boss mechanic.
1642089864348.png

1642089946803.png

Bubble is down to 25 PP from 30. Confusion is down to 20 PP from 25.

1642090108273.png

They put a "Game footage is not final" disclaimer for a few seconds in the top right at 11:44 when Kleavor is attacking the player.

EDIT:

1642090407022.png

Here is an Ultra Ball and a lot of pokeballs.

Double Hit is confirmed to be a status move in my opinion.

1642089079173.png

Notice that Lopunny has a dot for effectiveness on all moves except Double Hit, and Kleavor buffed itself with it.

Last edited:

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Id be very pressed if the "leaps and bounds" GF has done in regards to gameplay doesnt translate into the plot / story of tye game. Maybe I missed a trailer or they are being extremely tightlipped about it, but all I am saying is its hard to get a gauge of what the story is behind this entry sans "invent the first Pokédex". Like I dont get the vibes that outside ofside quests and interactions, the "Diamond", "Pearl" and proto-Team Galactic clans will be heavily involved plot wise. Of course, on the flipside, the game is named after the legend of Arceus himself, and we have seen zero involvement with him in any major promotion sans posters and logos, so who knows, maybea massive God plot is afoot. But one can understand my concerns - the promo seems to be 100% focused on how different it is, but that doesnt grab me as much,seeing as this is just GF tapping into basic modern RPG tropes into their gameplay.

The normal games don't really talk a lot about the plot either to be fair. Sun & Moon has a fairly involved plotline but didn't even mention Kukui's plans for a league or even really said anything about Team Skull & Aether other than "they exist" and "they hate the island challenge"/"they're a conservation group".

Id be very pressed if the "leaps and bounds" GF has done in regards to gameplay doesnt translate into the plot / story of tye game. Maybe I missed a trailer or they are being extremely tightlipped about it, but all I am saying is its hard to get a gauge of what the story is behind this entry sans "invent the first Pokédex". Like I dont get the vibes that outside ofside quests and interactions, the "Diamond", "Pearl" and proto-Team Galactic clans will be heavily involved plot wise. Of course, on the flipside, the game is named after the legend of Arceus himself, and we have seen zero involvement with him in any major promotion sans posters and logos, so who knows, maybea massive God plot is afoot. But one can understand my concerns - the promo seems to be 100% focused on how different it is, but that doesnt grab me as much,seeing as this is just GF tapping into basic modern RPG tropes into their gameplay.
There's also the Nobles, which are going berserk for some reason. Whenever the trailers bring this up they're like "ooooooh what could be causing this? so mysterious." I think the main plot will be going around and calming down the Nobles and figuring out why exactly they're going Super Saiyan, which probably has something to do with God Chicken Horse himself.

This game visually looks awful. Graphically it looks a decade old, and the terrain looks painfully empty and missing any detail. Even Pokémon seem limited to 2-3 per screen. The town looks bland as well. Like someone copy pasted 20 of the same basic house and went "good enough!" Look at it, it's eerie.

Lack of voice acting is hilariously bad here. It doesn't even have to be good. Hell it doesn't even have to be English. Even Sims style gargled sound is an improvement over the awkward nothing we get. Just pay an intern 20 bucks to record a few lines. Voice acting has been an industry standard since 2001. Why is Pokémon so far behind?

Gameplay looks pretty basic. Wander around empty fields farming rocks or beans or whatever. Craft pester berries to counter bosses. Fight bosses by dodging attacks and throwing berries when they're vulnerable. Aka exactly the same gameplay as in A Bugs Life for the N64. What else am I missing... fetch quests? Wow. Will these quests make gameplay deep and fun or will it just be a boring grind?

I like Pokémon so this game appeals to me. But that's literally the only thing this game appears to offer that Breath of the Wild, Skyrim, or lol even Morrowind doesn't. It's definitely good that they're trying new things and in all honesty this looks like it will be the best Pokémon game of the Switch (lol what a low bar to clear) but I'm just tired of Pokémon getting a free pass for mediocrity just because they have a monopoly on the slave monster media. Imagine if BOTW 2 or Halo Infinite reveal trailers looked like this. People would think it was an April fools joke.

Edit: are you fucking kidding me
Screenshot_20220113-143838_YouTube.jpg

Literally the same house but with some color swaps. Also where are the people??

Last edited:

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This game visually looks awful. Graphically it looks a decade old, and the terrain looks painfully empty and missing any detail. Even Pokémon seem limited to 2-3 per screen. The town looks bland as well. Like someone copy pasted 20 of the same basic house and went "good enough!" Look at it, it's eerie.

Lack of voice acting is hilariously bad here. It doesn't even have to be good. Hell it doesn't even have to be English. Even Sims style gargled sound is an improvement over the awkward nothing we get. Just pay an intern 20 bucks to record a few lines. Voice acting has been an industry standard since 2001. Why is Pokémon so far behind?

Gameplay looks pretty basic. Wander around empty fields farming rocks or beans or whatever. Craft pester berries to counter bosses. Fight bosses by dodging attacks and throwing berries when they're vulnerable. Aka exactly the same gameplay as in A Bugs Life for the N64. What else am I missing... fetch quests? Wow. Will these quests make gameplay deep and fun or will it just be a boring grind?

I like Pokémon so this game appeals to me. But that's literally the only thing this game appears to offer that Breath of the Wild, Skyrim, or lol even Morrowind doesn't. It's definitely good that they're trying new things and in all honesty this looks like it will be the best Pokémon game of the Switch (lol what a low bar to clear) but I'm just tired of Pokémon getting a free pass for mediocrity just because they have a monopoly on the slave monster media. Imagine if BOTW 2 or Halo Infinite reveal trailers looked like this. People would think it was an April fools joke.

Edit: are you fucking kidding me
View attachment 398434
Literally the same house but with some color swaps. Also where are the people??
i dont know aboutyou but villages or schemes in the real world generally follow the "each house is a carbon copy of each other" in real life. If every single village a cross the board have the exact same house plan then that is a bit dubious,but houses in the village being the same is a ratger strange nit pick to die on

... Okay, well, to move the complaints train along to something that's actually real and not just y'all's weird rose-coloured misrememberings of what N64 and Wii graphics looked like: I friggin' hate GF's recent trend of refusing to reveal new Pokemon. 1. It's Godawful advertising. I mean, I don't especially care about a giant corporation's sales figures, but I do care about little experiments like this continuing to be funded, y'know? 2. It's essentially a years-long temper tantrum over leaks. Over free advertising! o_O What the hell? Why not feed the leakers to drive up hype instead of acting like petty children? 3. Show me my fucking Decidueye you stingy bastards.

i dont know aboutyou but villages or schemes in the real world generally follow the "each house is a carbon copy of each other" in real life. If every single village a cross the board have the exact same house plan then that is a bit dubious,but houses in the village being the same is a ratger strange nit pick to die on
There's plenty of other games set in the feudal era of Japan that make villages look nicer than this.

Pasting the same house repeatedly until you fill a grid and populating it with a handful of NPCs is a really bad look for an open world game.

This is the world's most profitable franchise. Stop excusing their inadequacy. We deserve better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)