Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl - Release 19th Nov 2021

If you want a fan service goat, you’re one nintendo game over from what you’re after. (oh hey local former smogon contributor man AccidentalGreed even wrote the analysis on this; small world)

Also Mythics have mostly been a draw with something financial attached to them for a very long time. Jirachi was a preorder disc, Victini and Gensect were early adopter bonuses, hell, Manaphy had you buy another game for a one use transfer to DP. It's maybe a little grimey, but I feel it's fairly well compensated by the fact they're never required for Pokedex completion (aside from HOME maybe? I don't remember) and that most all official formats ban the Pokemon outright (and fan made formats can require FAR more obscure and unavailable events a la Wish Chansey to play on cart). If I'm totally honest, if they must happen for sales and renewed interest, I would prefer these sort of permanent static save data events than something like a limited time event distribution. Borrowing is also a very sound option if you have friends or show up to your local Pokemon league (post covid). I never bought LGPE but I have the eevee and mew from a save file I played for on a borrowed cartridge.

And hey! There's still all the old event Pokemon anyway from things like the 2016 distrobutions. You'll be able to play around with your old friends in BDSP once they add Pokemon Bank support in 2024.
You would think about all these years that I would have learn to never underestimate the power of people to slap a bikini on something lol.

But yes, I agree that this is a much better way to handle things then one time only methods so that people can enjoy it for years to come. Just wish it would be permanently patched into the game for free without the need of another game.

That being said, I am not at all pissed about it. Just think they could do it better.

Why the heck would you want legendaries to be uncatchable? That's literally antithetical to the point of the series.
Because that way they can actually make super strong legendaryes to challenge during the games and actually feel imposing (see, Eternamax) without completely murdering the game balance for one.

Legendaries per se have always created issues in the games' competitive scene, not cause of their power (I've always said that if you were to remove all leges, you'd still get extremely boring metagames of only 10-15 pokemon, just changing who the 10-15 are, see early SwSh meta), but because Legendaryes cannot be bred so in order to get perfect statted ones (before Caps) you were usually forced to hack them in, and if you wanted multiple of them (because maybe multiple Natures are viable, or because godforsake needing specific Hidden Powers pre gen 8) you also were forced to hack or clone them or have a dedicated second cartridge to constantly reset to catch multiple of.

Because that way they can actually make super strong legendaryes to challenge during the games and actually feel imposing (see, Eternamax) without completely murdering the game balance for one.
That's not the point of legendaries though, they were never meant to be imposing challenges to be overcome. They were meant to be rare and powerful Pokémon the player got by exploring the game and/or solving puzzles, aside from the cover Legendary in most games from Gen 3 on.

In Gen 1-3 the only legends you ever have to fight are Groudon/Kyogre in Ruby/Sapphire after the plot has already wrapped up and the only things left are the Pokémon League and the post-game.

In Gen 4 the only legends you fight are Dialga, Palkia, or Giratina depending on if you're playing Diamond, Pearl, or Platinum, again after completing most of the game already, only Volkner, the League, and the post-game left.

In Gen 5 you catch Reshiram or Zekrom (with boosted catch rates) before fighting N and Ghetsis in Black or White, but the game is basically over after those fights aside from the post-game. In BW2 you fight whichever fused Kyurem is on the cover of the game.

In Gen 6 you catch Xerneas/Yveltal (with once again boosted catch rate) right before fighting Lysandre and then Wulfric and the League and what little XY has for a post-game.

In Gen 7 you catch Solgaleo or Lunala (boosted catch rate yet again) and go to the Ultra Deep Sea to beat Lusamine then Pokemon League and post-game. In USUM you have the Ultra Necrozma fight.

There are a grand total of 2 times over the course of the entire series where a legendary was fought and not meant to be caught during that fight prior to SwSh. They were never meant to be imposing prior to SwSh, they were meant to be caught.

And even in SwSh you catch Eterntaus guaranteed at the end of the second fight (which happens immediatly after the first) and at the end of the Calyrex quest you get Calyrex and whatever horse you picked (none of the three of which are particularly threatening especially since you've probably already beat the Pokémon League). The only exception is the opposite version's wolf.

Why the heck would you want legendaries to be uncatchable? That's literally antithetical to the point of the series.
1. Catching them is not fun. Its an issue thats slowly being patched by legendaries having one big battle and then guarantee catches, but that's exclusive to eternatus/the dogs in the main series. PLA shows some hope for all of them, but I don't have a lot of faith in that sysyem.

Everyone else is a paralysis throw ball ball breaks pp checking throw ball ball breaks nightmare

2. They don't bring a lot to the table. It's either "ok now just sweep the rest of the game" or "drop in a box and never use it unless you're into competitive because there's no more content left". I guess sweeping the e4 is fun, and I don't think people are cheating for playing like that, but it's not really anything interesting or noteworth it.

3. They have a lot more potential as NPCs. Like calyrex but deeper. Sidequests and even the main plot surrounding their personalities and histories with the player. It's not like you'd never be able to fight them either, with boss battles and team ups being completely useable, but exploring how they revolve around the world and plot by sacrificing their catchability would be cool.

Also it means we'd get more pokemon because they'd need to fill the 4-10 legendary spots of the dex with actual pokemon lmao

1. Catching them is not fun. Its an issue thats slowly being patched by legendaries having one big battle and then guarantee catches, but that's exclusive to eternatus/the dogs in the main series. PLA shows some hope for all of them, but I don't have a lot of faith in that sysyem.

Everyone else is a paralysis throw ball ball breaks pp checking throw ball ball breaks nightmare

2. They don't bring a lot to the table. It's either "ok now just sweep the rest of the game" or "drop in a box and never use it unless you're into competitive because there's no more content left". I guess sweeping the e4 is fun, and I don't think people are cheating for playing like that, but it's not really anything interesting or noteworth it.

3. They have a lot more potential as NPCs. Like calyrex but deeper. Sidequests and even the main plot surrounding their personalities and histories with the player. It's not like you'd never be able to fight them either, with boss battles and team ups being completely useable, but exploring how they revolve around the world and plot by sacrificing their catchability would be cool.

Also it means we'd get more pokemon because they'd need to fill the 4-10 legendary spots of the dex with actual pokemon lmao
If they're going to spend that amount of time on a set of legendary Pokemon we are probably not getting "real" pokemon in their spot, because they still have to spend all the normal amoutn of time designing a Pokemon to begin with.

I agree that the capture system for them is flawed (incidentally shoutout to Dynamax Adventures for being a bunch of boss into perfect capture fights) but people generally want to catch and use the monsters they see. I like Calyrex a ton because of the story bits it got, if I didn't get to catch it at the end of the DLC i'd probably be livid. It's an appeal of the series and it wouldn't surprise me if a lto of people like to use the legends they catch. You & I may not prefer it but you just caught a funky guy that definitely appeals to a lot of folks; and hell in the LA post game i just yeah sure fuck it whatever full team of legends.

e: This came off more hrash than I wanted it to
I guess just basically, several of the things you want out of the legends are not necessarily mutually exclusive with the current set up and one very specific one probably is.

Last edited:
I like Calyrex a ton because of the story bits it got, if I didn't get to catch it at the end of the DLC i'd probably be livid.
See, for me the fact you catch it kinda ruins the appeal of the story for me. It doesnt make it pointless, that'd be an exaggeration, but I felt like that calyrex's catch match would have been much more satisfying for its character if it were a proper npc boss battle.

It's probably just the way I see them, but catching legendaries robs them of most of their charm and appeal to me I guess.

See, for me the fact you catch it kinda ruins the appeal of the story for me. It doesnt make it pointless, that'd be an exaggeration, but I felt like that calyrex's catch match would have been much more satisfying for its character if it were a proper npc boss battle.

It's probably just the way I see them, but catching legendaries robs them of most of their charm and appeal to me I guess.
Seems like something that would be able to compete with the "The Physical/Special Split was a bad idea" post if you posted it in the Unpopular Opinions thread. I don't mean this as an insult, it's just that while I was reading this post and the responses I forgot this was the BDSP thread.

Let me instead regale you with complaints about how every single version exclusive i've seen on the GWS has been from Diamond

There has honestly been a shocking amoutn of variety in these trades, to the point where i'm just slowly replacing my living dex with other people's pokemon as i get them, but the "gaps" so to speak are so weird.

e: 20 trades later i finally got a pearl exclusive with slowpoke!

Last edited:

Decided to call my GWS shenanigans here. Obviously this is significantly more than just 200 trades...

Some observations:
-There are, of course, a large number of Bidoof, Starly, Shinx & Magikarp.
-Surprisingly few Kricketots.
-However in general the early game crew isnt as omnipressent as you'd think. I have gotten quite the spread of Pokemon outside of them
-Great Marsh pokemon pop up fairly frequently, I suspect a lot of players wind up going into the Marsh and catching a bunch of things to "make the most" of the time/money
-Evolved pokemon that you cant just evolve in the wild are, as you'd expect, pretty rare.
-Actually most of the time if you see an evolved Pokemon not from the Great Marsh, it's from the underground where they're more frequent.
-You would THINK that with wild Gravelers & Machokes being all over the mid to late game caves that these would show up more, but no. I only ever saw 2 Machoke (I sent out a few of my own "in return").
-Starters show up a decent amount. In strange particular, Fire starters. I'm not sure i ever saw a Totodile but I saw MANY fire starters from all kinds. Hunting for Torchics, maybe? Charmander was the most populous followed by Chimchar and Cyndaquil.
-Breeding rejects aren't too common, but are present. Torchics I got often had Baton Pass put on them and Adamant natures but didnt have Speed Boost, I'd get several level 1 Gibles, etc
-Special shoutout to Ralts, who by far & away seems to be the most popular breeding project. I would be willing to put "level 1 ralts" on par with Shinx or Magikarp in terms of how many I got
-Strangely few fossils. Considering how any real time spent in the underground usually gets you quite a number of fossils, I figured it'd be good "fodder" but nope
-Exclusives didn't come up terribly often but when they do come up? Diamond. By far & away. I got a grand total of 4 Pearl exclusives: 2 Slowpoke, 1 Misdreavus (strangely I never got Murkrow...) and 1 Shieldon. Do yu have the Pearl version and don't want to bother lining up trades with real people? Just go on GWS for a while, you're bound to get at least a few
-It doesn't seem like a lot of people bother with fishing. I got a bunch of Magikarp and...that's it, really? Beyond that I got a Whiscash (marsh), Corphish (underground), Crawdaunt (underground) and various breeding reject Feebas. None of the usual fishing suspects here.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
To the randos on GWS who refuse to send out Gravelers & Haunters and instead a million geodudes & gastlies, die.
Now what do you wish upon the people who do put up a Graveler and Haunter... but holding an Everstone?

Roles of Legendaries:
My opinions on legendaries are a bit like a pyramid of needs but instead of needs its how they're treated, which goes like
Uncatchable and untransferable, part of plots and side stories > catchable in every game without needing transfer > this > time limited events
That's not the point of legendaries though, they were never meant to be imposing challenges to be overcome. They were meant to be rare and powerful Pokémon the player got by exploring the game and/or solving puzzles, aside from the cover Legendary in most games from Gen 3 on.
Not quoting everything though did read everything. I'm quite mixed on the idea because I see both sides of the arguments and agree with both... but this is an issue where really only one side can definitively win (with any compromises still heavily leaning toward one end then being near the middle).

So, here's my opinion that no one asked for: Obviously I want both, I want the Legendary to be part of the story (or at least have a significant side story) but I do also want to catch them and use them, notably before post game with earlier being better.

Being this is all hypothetical, I'm still going to try and reach for a compromise.

Sadly for mascot Legendaries they usually are involved with the plot so they don't really apply to this discussion. In their case I say go full on them being involved with the story and then post game have a side story where we catch them. While I have a lot of criticisms of Sword & Shield, honestly the way they handled the Hero Duo I didn't think was too bad (at least in theory, the post game story could have used a few rewrites so it's not so stupid).

So the side Legendaries is where the focus will be. Now they can still be involved with the plot but allow you to catch them like in the midgame or 3/4th in. I'm reminded of the Swords of Justice in B2W2. They sensed the return of Team Plasma so sought out the new hero and allowed to be battled & caught. I felt that was a neat idea, but it does mean you now have a Legendary and suddenly the game has become much easier. Then we have the case with Calyrex where they're not part of the main story but a side story. In this case I would rather we go through the entire side story before catching the Legendary unless they can somehow weave having caught the Legendary being part of the story (though that's hard to do without forcing the player to keep the Legendary in their party and preventing them from going back to the main story; though I also wouldn't be against that idea as long as the side story isn't long). As for whether to catch the Legendary as the ending or ending the side story and then later on finding the Legendary to catch, well once again I would let the story more decide that, but to just save the time I would prefer just to catch the Legendary at the end.

So, for the two examples I gave above with the side Legendaries, I'm thinking that to make it feel less like you're getting a "I win" Pokemon they could maybe add a "limiter" to the Legendary. Pretty much a mechanic to lower their stats so they're still good but not overshadowing your team (maybe could even start with them being "okay" and only their movepool is what's carrying them until you can lift the limiter a few times). As to how they would implement the limiter, specifically how they would raise it or remove it, well that would depend on the Legendaries story once again. They could attack it to the Badges or whatever the progression goals are and imply the Legendary is holding back using its full power but slowly letting you access it upon proving your worth as a trainer. Or they could have the Legendary needing something that is scattered throughout the game so it's something you need to keep an eye out for. "What about the evolution route like with Kubfu"? Eh, I guess they could give us an evolving Legendary but I feel having an evolving Legendary should be reserved for a special reason and not simply to make it so the player can have a Legendary but it's not overpowered.

If any of this sound like a non-answer I apologize, but I've been distracted lately and have a lot of catching up to do (not really gonna bother looking through the last page, pretty sure it's just about the Arceus and Darkrai event anyway which doesn't affect me (though them keeping up with the "needing another game" requirement is making me a bit worried)).

A practice thats been in the business for well over 2 decades? Yeah im shocked GF even caught up to that point
This, honestly. Save bonuses have been around for a while now. My first experience was getting some extra items in Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World on Wii for having a Game Cube Memory Card with a save file of the original Tales of Symphonia on it plugged into the system.

This, honestly. Save bonuses have been around for a while now. My first experience was getting some extra items in Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World on Wii for having a Game Cube Memory Card with a save file of the original Tales of Symphonia on it plugged into the system.
But this is a save bonus from a game that was released after this one...

But this is a save bonus from a game that was released after this one...
Two main series games released in super close proximity. That's unheard of. Makes perfect sense that they would try and keep both games as equally relevant as they can.

Can we take a moment and

appreciate how BEAUTIFUL the Hall of Origin looks with this sunlight?

Seriously though. It *is* different from PLA HoO but both are very good in their own ways. PLA has a full Moon but BDSP got the Sun. cleaver!
Oh, no question. It's absolutely gorgeous, and it's providing a very pleasant aesthetic to the background of my holy Shiny hunt.

Wow, people in this thread unironically defending Arceus being locked behind a PLA save because "past distributions were worse". You are the reason GameFreak never learns.
You know what? Past distributions were worse, but not in the sense that they were necessarily bad- rather, that this one is great! Instead of being locked to a specific timeframe where if you miss it you're screwed, as long as you have the necessary games, you have infinite access to Arceus moving forward, and it's not even Shiny locked! And so what if this means you need to have completed two different games to get this thing- it's the literal god of the Pokémon world, what do you want them to do, just hand it to you on a silver platter? Interacting with multiple games to get certain Pokémon in certain games has always, always, always been a thing in this franchise. Version exclusives are this at its most basic. Dual slot mode in Gen 4 was absolutely necessary for Pokédex completion back in the day. Wanted a Surfing Pikachu back then and missed the Yellow Forest event for the Pokéwalker? Better have Battle Revolution! Wanted Lugia and Ho-Oh in Gen 3? Colosseum and XD were must-haves for this purpose. You had to not only buy Pokémon Ranger to get Manaphy way back when, but if it was a used copy, you better hope the previous owner didn't get one, because it was one Manaphy Egg per copy, not per save file! And then you got the save file bonuses we've been getting so far. Gigantamax Pikachu and Eevee in SwSh. Mew and Jirachi in BDSP. Darkrai and Shaymin in Legends: Arceus. But this, easily the best one of the bunch, the only one that isn't Shiny-locked, this is where y'all draw the line and start complaining? They didn't have to implement the Azure Flute event at all. We are not entitled to it. They could have easily deemed the Arceus we get in Legends: Arceus to be enough for us and left it at that, but they didn't, and now people are complaining because this previous completely inaccessible event isn't even more accessible than they saw fit to make it? I'm sorry, but that comes off as entitled to me and it doesn't sit well with me at all. I for one am happy that we got the event at all.

And so what if this means you need to have completed two different games to get this thing- it's the literal god of the Pokémon world, what do you want them to do, just hand it to you on a silver platter?
Why not? Lore status does not matter in the slightest. In terms of gameplay, it's still a single Pokémon.

Alternatively, they could just have given you the Azure Flute after beating Cynthia, no additional game required. That would have been DRAMATICALLY better.

They didn't have to implement the Azure Flute event at all. We are not entitled to it. They could have easily deemed the Arceus we get in Legends: Arceus to be enough for us and left it at that, but they didn't, and now people are complaining because this previous completely inaccessible event isn't even more accessible than they saw fit to make it? I'm sorry, but that comes off as entitled to me and it doesn't sit well with me at all. I for one am happy that we got the event at all.
So it's perfectly okay that someone that gets Legends has a chance to get two Arceus (thus, a redundant reward), while the ones that don't cannot get any?

Last edited:
Why not? Lore status does not matter in the slightest. In terms of gameplay, it's still a single Pokémon.
It's a Mythical Pokémon. They are, by and large, not meant to be easy to get ahold of.

So it's perfectly okay that someone that gets Legends has a chance to get two Arceus (thus, a redundant reward), while the ones that don't cannot get any?
That goes to another aspect of Pokémon- the sense of community. People trading with one another to help them out. One guy has two Arceus, his friend has none, maybe the friend has something the first guy wants, there's the foundation for a trade right there. Besides, for the longest time you needed Let's Go to have any realistic chance at getting a Melmetal, let alone get one into the main series, but if you did have them, you basically have the makings of infinite Meltan and Melmetal. By and large, only people who have gotten a Manaphy can get Phione as well. Pokémon has been built upon the foundation of people trading Pokémon with other people to help each other out. This might lock people out of double Arceus if they don't play Legends, but it means that there'll be all the more people with a sudden surplus of Arceus, many of which might possibly be open to a trade.

I like the alternating between the smogoner type A (event distributions are bad, every pokemon should be obtainable in a single cart), and smogoner type B (legendaryes/mythical should be unique and hard to get, having them everywhere ruins their meaning)

Good news, the main Pokemon buyer is neither, it's a kid that doesn't care, probably will never get Arceus nor any of the mythicals because he put down the game after finishing the story anyway, and if he does he'll be glad to show it to his friends to brag that he can pet literally God in the latest iteration of Pokemon Arnie.

Praise actually intended playerbase for this game series being kids, unspoiled by the dumbness of adulthood and its hypocrisy, and only actually interested in well, having fun :)

They didn't have to implement the Azure Flute event at all. We are not entitled to it. They could have easily deemed the Arceus we get in Legends: Arceus to be enough for us and left it at that, but they didn't, and now people are complaining because this previous completely inaccessible event isn't even more accessible than they saw fit to make it? I'm sorry, but that comes off as entitled to me and it doesn't sit well with me at all. I for one am happy that we got the event at all.
I'm sorry (not really), but this by far and away the single stupidest take I've seen on these forums, and I've seen a lot of really, really dumb shit over the past few years. Did you get this game for free or something, or did you forget that you paid 60 bucks for it? Of fucking course you're entitled to the content in the game you paid for. The entire concept of event distributions (and yes, version exclusives and dual slot mode and all that other shit to try to get you to buy other games to access the content that's already in the game you own as well) has always been stupid and predatory.

Your entire post boils down to exactly what I took umbrage with in the first place; past distributions were worse (or non-existent), therefore predatory business practices are okay as long as they're slightly less predatory than previous distributions. And again, you are the reason why GameFreak will never actually improve in any meaningful way. Enjoy your 60 dollar DP reskin with an additional 60 dollar Arceus DLC.

I like the alternating between the smogoner type A (event distributions are bad, every pokemon should be obtainable in a single cart), and smogoner type B (legendaryes/mythical should be unique and hard to get, having them everywhere ruins their meaning)

Good news, the main Pokemon buyer is neither, it's a kid that doesn't care, probably will never get Arceus nor any of the mythicals because he put down the game after finishing the story anyway, and if he does he'll be glad to show it to his friends to brag that he can pet literally God in the latest iteration of Pokemon Arnie.

Praise actually intended playerbase for this game series being kids, unspoiled by the dumbness of adulthood and its hypocrisy, and only actually interested in well, having fun :)
The Smogon moral objectivist strikes again

I'm sorry (not really), but this by far and away the single stupidest take I've seen on these forums, and I've seen a lot of really, really dumb shit over the past few years. Did you get this game for free or something, or did you forget that you paid 60 bucks for it? Of fucking course you're entitled to the content in the game you paid for. The entire concept of event distributions (and yes, version exclusives and dual slot mode and all that other shit to try to get you to buy other games to access the content that's already in the game you own as well) has always been stupid and predatory.

Your entire post boils down to exactly what I took umbrage with in the first place; past distributions were worse (or non-existent), therefore predatory business practices are okay as long as they're slightly less predatory than previous distributions. And again, you are the reason why GameFreak will never actually improve in any meaningful way. Enjoy your 60 dollar DP reskin with an additional 60 dollar Arceus DLC.
If your take on what has been a core aspect of the franchise since day damn one is that it's predatory, that it exists solely to take advantage of us, and that it's stupid to view it in any sort of positive light, then you and I are gonna have to agree to disagree. If you could get absolutely everything out of the copy of the game you bought all by yourself with no outside help whatsoever, then what would even be the point of linking together with friends to trade? Some people are willing to go that extra mile, and some aren't, and that's OK, because the first group is now in a position where they can help the second group out so they don't totally miss out. People reach out for the help, arrange some trades, maybe even make new friends in the process. That is what this is all about, and if you can't see it like that, then I pity you.

Two main series games released in super close proximity. That's unheard of. Makes perfect sense that they would try and keep both games as equally relevant as they can.

Oh, no question. It's absolutely gorgeous, and it's providing a very pleasant aesthetic to the background of my holy Shiny hunt.

You know what? Past distributions were worse, but not in the sense that they were necessarily bad- rather, that this one is great! Instead of being locked to a specific timeframe where if you miss it you're screwed, as long as you have the necessary games, you have infinite access to Arceus moving forward, and it's not even Shiny locked! And so what if this means you need to have completed two different games to get this thing- it's the literal god of the Pokémon world, what do you want them to do, just hand it to you on a silver platter? Interacting with multiple games to get certain Pokémon in certain games has always, always, always been a thing in this franchise. Version exclusives are this at its most basic. Dual slot mode in Gen 4 was absolutely necessary for Pokédex completion back in the day. Wanted a Surfing Pikachu back then and missed the Yellow Forest event for the Pokéwalker? Better have Battle Revolution! Wanted Lugia and Ho-Oh in Gen 3? Colosseum and XD were must-haves for this purpose. You had to not only buy Pokémon Ranger to get Manaphy way back when, but if it was a used copy, you better hope the previous owner didn't get one, because it was one Manaphy Egg per copy, not per save file! And then you got the save file bonuses we've been getting so far. Gigantamax Pikachu and Eevee in SwSh. Mew and Jirachi in BDSP. Darkrai and Shaymin in Legends: Arceus. But this, easily the best one of the bunch, the only one that isn't Shiny-locked, this is where y'all draw the line and start complaining? They didn't have to implement the Azure Flute event at all. We are not entitled to it. They could have easily deemed the Arceus we get in Legends: Arceus to be enough for us and left it at that, but they didn't, and now people are complaining because this previous completely inaccessible event isn't even more accessible than they saw fit to make it? I'm sorry, but that comes off as entitled to me and it doesn't sit well with me at all. I for one am happy that we got the event at all.
This. This right here. Pokemon is about the journey. Sometimes that journey is across different games. Does that mean not everyone gets the mon? Yes, it can, because not everyone's journey is the same.

Now that being said, honestly I would not be surprised that a lot of the people complaining about this event would be worshiping the ground it was written upon if a 5th gen remake did something similar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)