Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

shadowpea

everyone is lonely sometimes
is a Tiering Contributor
Interesting and unexpected, but that still kinda has same effect: you already know Toxapex is now flying type, so yes, it may have dodged one Earthquake... but it'll have a rock slide or something similar coming next time instead, and it's now no longer walling things it was going to wall as water/psychic.

Changing type is not as op or gamebreaking as people make it to be imo. On top of losing stabs on main attacks.
come on make toxapex water/psychic PLEASE

Interesting and unexpected, but that still kinda has same effect: you already know Toxapex is now flying type, so yes, it may have dodged one Earthquake... but it'll have a rock slide or something similar coming next time instead, and it's now no longer walling things it was going to wall as water/psychic.

Changing type is not as op or gamebreaking as people make it to be imo. On top of losing stabs on main attacks.

wait, forget it
it changes the type or adds a type?

I'm actually not sure if it replaces any of your original typings. The logic behind the whole "you get an extra boost if your Terra typing matches one of your original typings" seems to be "your Lilligant is now Grass/Grass so it gets two STAB boosts" and since it specifically says you get this boost if your Terra type matches at least one of your original types, it means it doesn't matter which type is the primary and which is the secondary, so they both must still be there.

View attachment 444073

It looks like it sticks around after switching!
About this, the second image says "when a Pokémon uses a move that matches its Tera Type and one of its original types", but we've seen a Gardevoir terracrystalized on water. Does this mean any Pokémon can terracrystalize in any existint type, even if said type doesnt match with their original typing, but if said type also coincides with the originals the boost is even greater?

I'm actually not sure if it replaces any of your original typings. The logic behind the whole "you get an extra boost if your Terra typing matches one of your original typings" seems to be "your Lilligant is now Grass/Grass so it gets two STAB boosts" and since it specifically says you get this boost if your Terra type matches at least one of your original types, it means it doesn't matter which type is the primary and which is the secondary, so they both must still be there.
The way I read tera typing is you become a mono type but your stabs are some X amount stronger

so Flying Pikachu is now Flying Pikachu, without the electric typing.

Use all sorts of items to make your uniform fit you
Ranging from short sleeves and shorts to warm blazers, the academy has four different kinds of uniforms in total. Additionally, you can collect a wide variety of accessories from boutiques. Wear your favorite items and try out different styles along the way on your adventure!
I guess that confirms that there's only school uniforms, with the primary customization likely being colors and more importantly accessories

About this, the second image says "when a Pokémon uses a move that matches its Tera Type and one of its original types", but we've seen a Gardevoir terracrystalized on water. Does this mean any Pokémon can terracrystalize in any existint type, even if said type doesnt match with their original typing, but if said type also coincides with the originals the boost is even greater?
That's what it seems like. You gotta choose between getting a new type or powering up one of your regular types.

churine

lunatic+
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The starting area appears to be the little peninsula at the very bottom.

Meanwhile, the natural habitat for Ice-types appears to be placed as far away from there as possible. Maybe even gated behind the climbing ability. Why am I not surprised?
not surprised, it might mean that this game will continue to have freeze instead of frostbite which is kind of expected but is nonetheless a huge tragedy. ive maintained this belief that ice types are often rare and reserved for lategame because of how broken freeze is as a status, and so when i saw frostbite replace freeze in legend, it presented a possibility that it might carry over into the next games and enable ice types to be available much earlier on.
however, the first gym leader they showed off is ice type and they also showed off an ice type mon (who looks extremely cool btw especially with slush rush), and with the game being nonlinear and open world, perhaps some ice types are placed more in the early game and possibly still with frostbite in the game? i can only hope

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
I've been told Paldea map meets Kalos map exactly were France and Spain meets. Is it true? So where's Andorra?
Kalos's map doesn't comprise all of France (a large chunk of southern France is missing) so there's no reason to expect Paldea's geography to match Spain's perfectly, or at least to stretch all the way to the border. If we get an Andorra analogue at all, it'll probably be an isolated location like Kiloude City or Anville Town, but in the official artwork the ever-present clouds are covering where it should be.

I don't think it replaces the Pokémon typing and its only considered towards the offensive.

For example. For a Pokémon like DDNite with Roost + 2 attacks, you can either reinforce your STABs (like, this is a horrible nite set, but im using it as an example) via crystalization, or augment one of your non-stab moves (like EQ).

This is interesting as a competitive option, since you have to choose between reinforcing your already solid dual stab combination to even higher levels of damage (im thinking about setup sweepers with 2 offensive moves that are unresisted by a majority of the meta and a third that doesnt need the crystalization boost), or you can keep your stab moves at x1.5 and gain a third stab on something, but i doubt this crystalization type will be counted on the defensive side.

I don't think it replaces the Pokémon typing and its only considered towards the offensive.

For example. For a Pokémon like DDNite with Roost + 2 attacks, you can either reinforce your STABs (like, this is a horrible nite set, but im using it as an example) via crystalization, or augment one of your non-stab moves (like EQ).

This is interesting as a competitive option, since you have to choose between reinforcing your already solid dual stab combination to even higher levels of damage (im thinking about setup sweepers with 2 offensive moves that are unresisted by a majority of the meta and a third that doesnt need the crystalization boost), or you can keep your stab moves at x1.5 and gain a third stab on something, but i doubt this crystalization type will be counted on the defensive side.
Terastallizing a Pokémon allows you to enhance your battle strategies by increasing the power of any moves that have the same type as your Pokémon’s Tera Type or by changing your Pokémon’s weaknesses.
It definitely counts defensive

Seems like many rumours ended up paying off here. Glad to see Azumarill and Lumineon confirmed. The 3 parallel storylines reminded me of what they did with the Crown Tundra. On first impression of the gimmick I like that they added Kirby hats to pokemon, not sure how I feel about the type boost + change gimmick but we'll see how flexible it is to get the rarer types ingame. I expect most pokemon to stay the same and just get the double STAB like the Sprigatito being Grass naturally, since the trailer mentioned only some pokemon will change type that you probably get via raids, but it'll be funny to see how showdown handles the theoretical range of types. The recharge reminds me of the beta Z-ring and makes sense you can't just spam it everywhere. Also raids being in actual real time is nice after people kept calling Legends combat ATB because of the leaks.

I noticed the battle UI looks very transparent this time. The pokedex being arranged as books is nice flavour and reminds me of how Legends made it into research notes. Changing "seen" to "battled" does make sense and brings some focus on both parts of the game, catching and fighting. The tera raids have a cool reflective environment and I hope they took notes from ILCA on battle environments.

- Fidough is cute I guess, not a fan of its ears though.
- Cetitan is fugly, and it looks like it'll be another slow bulky Ice-type so it'll probably suck unless you Terastallize it. Not a fan.
- Paldean Wooper is cute, and I like that it keeps Water Absorb.
- Clavell is evil, calling it now
- Jacq is a himbo
- Grusha's a guy? huh
- No comment on Arven or Penny, they're alright
- Still not sure how the open world or Terastal is going to work but I'm intrigued regardless
- Houndoom, Sawsbuck and Eelektross are back, let's fucking go
- You can tweak your character's eye and mouth shape, neato
- Flying Pikachu is a neat early-purchase bonus

shadowpea

everyone is lonely sometimes
is a Tiering Contributor
View attachment 444073

It looks like it sticks around after switching!
hm, so if you terastallize a pokemon to one of its original types it gets 2 stab boosts? maybe? we dont know what the actual boost will be but considering that it "changes your type" it would make sense

i suppose monoattackers or mons that mostly only care about one of its stabs (spectrier, rillaboom, bh groudon) would be completely elated. not to mention offensive mons can take advantage of its changed typing to beat stuff they wouldn't normally be able to (dd rayquaza just turned into a fire-type and v-created whoever that's in front of it off the planet)

also, every fat mon can now be a fat steel/fairy/etc...that can actually heal. on mons like uhh toxapex who isn't super dependent on its item slot can basically pick and choose who you want to wall. so while they know you'll be a steel for the rest of the battle you are still a steel with regenerator, titanic bulk and reliable healing plus a bunch of tools that your average steel won't have

and we can actually make our own fast powerful ice types lets gooooo

It’s said that the Terastal energy that seeps from the ground of the Paldea region is involved in the phenomenon.
Many details remain unclear, but Professor Sada and Professor Turo are researching this mystery.
Comes from the ground, we have a weird ominous area in the middle and all the crowns...

have an angry face on them (its the same one on all the crowns)

I guess following Necrozma and Eternatus, this is the third phenomena influenced by the "third" legendary

With this trailer, it seems like they might be making a decet effort to include any Pokemon that hasn't yet appeared in an HD game. We're down to 49 of the 59 Pokemon that weren't in Gen 8 (excluding some forms, IE unovan samurott) have now been confirmed, changing the list to:

1. Snivy
  2. Servine
  3. Serperior
  4. Tepig
  5. Pignite
  6. Emboar
  7. Patrat
  8. Watchog
  9. Pansage
  10. Simisage
  11. Pansear
  12. Simisear
  13. Panpour
  14. Simipour
  15. Blitzle
  16. Zebstrika
  17. Sewaddle
  18. Swadloon
  19. Leavanny
  20. Ducklett
  21. Swanna
  22. Alomomola
  23. Meloetta
  24. Chespin
  25. Quilladin
  26. Fennekin
  27. Braixen
  28. Delphox
  29. Froakie
  30. Frogadier
  31. Greninja
  32. Scatterbug
  33. Spewpa
  34. Vivillon
  35. Litleo
  36. Pyroar
  37. Furfrou
  38. Hoopa
  39. Pikipek
  40. Trumbeak
  41. Toucannon
  42. Yungoos
  43. Gumshoos
  44. Crabrawler
  45. Crabominable
  46. Oricorio
  47. Minior
  48. Komala
  49. Bruxish

Of note, Gogoat is available for the first time since it's debut in XY and different seasonal forms of deerling are in the wild again for the first time since Gen 5! Hooray!

hm, so if you terastallize a pokemon to one of its original types it gets 2 stab boosts? maybe? we dont know what the actual boost will be but considering that it "changes your type" it would make sense

i suppose monoattackers or mons that mostly only care about one of its stabs (spectrier, rillaboom, bh groudon) would be completely elated. not to mention offensive mons can take advantage of its changed typing to beat stuff they wouldn't normally be able to (dd rayquaza just turned into a fire-type and v-created whoever that's in front of it off the planet)

also, every fat mon can now be a fat steel/fairy/etc...that can actually heal. on mons like uhh toxapex who isn't super dependent on its item slot can basically pick and choose who you want to wall. so while they know you'll be a steel for the rest of the battle you are still a steel with regenerator, titanic bulk and reliable healing plus a bunch of tools that your average steel won't have

and we can actually make our own fast powerful ice types lets gooooo
Chances are the Tera type will just make the pokemon's moves more powerful and won't change the pokemons defensive type chart. That's what the leaks indicated anyways.

Also pog Eelektross is back. I missed him so much in SS. I think new mechanic will work well for it since it'll let it use terra flamethrower or knock off as strong offensive options.

Chances are the Tera type will just make the pokemon's moves more powerful and won't change the pokemons defensive type chart. That's what the leaks indicated anyways.

Also pog Eelektross is back. I missed him so much in SS. I think new mechanic will work well for it since it'll let it use terra flamethrower or knock off as strong offensive options.
Terastallizing a Pokémon allows you to enhance your battle strategies by increasing the power of any moves that have the same type as your Pokémon’s Tera Type or by changing your Pokémon’s weaknesses.
The leaks were either misinterpreted or misremembered (neither are especially surprising, we've had legit leaks that do both) if this little blurb is anything to go by

It definitely counts defensive
This is definitely interesting.

Will the Pokémon have 3 types? (one of them a virtual typing, as in trick or treat) If the Pokémon is already a dual typed one, will a third be added or will the third replace its first or second type? And if it only has one, will a second type be added or will it replace the typing entirely?

This is definitely interesting.

Will the Pokémon have 3 types? (one of them a virtual typing, as in trick or treat) If the Pokémon is already a dual typed one, will a third be added or will the third replace its first or second type? And if it only has one, will a second type be added or will it replace the typing entirely?
my thought is it will fully replace the typing

so Water Tera Gardevoir goes from Psychic/Fairy -> Water rather than Water/Fairy or Psychic/Water or Psychic/Fairy/Water

Imo this is a good thing. It gives it defensive utility too, which is something Z-Moves and Gigantamazing sorely lacked. Being able to change Avalugg to a pure-steel type for a whole battle is kind of a cool concept.
It's a very cool concept, but the "once per battle" clause also comes with the opportunity cost with it.

Is it better to make your Avalugg steel type so it can wall something, but lose the opportunity to make your Spectrier Dark Type and no longer walled by Blissey? Or make your Toxapex flying type so it can now wall Landorus, but suddently it's now vulnerable to Tyranitar and Weavile running it over.

I don't think it's a mechanic that will be used defensively. It's definitely aimed mainly at offensive usage.

Edit: one thing is sure, Smogon will hate it, because it looks like it can be used at any given moment with no held item requirement and smogon hates fun unpredictability.

The leaks were either misinterpreted or misremembered (neither are especially surprising, we've had legit leaks that do both) if this little blurb is anything to go by
My understanding is that "regular" Tera doesn't change type and boosts your pokemon's stab (potentially both, or maybe its first type).
If you do use a Tera that's not your poke's regular type, it'll swap its type to it on top of boosting the new type's stab.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)