Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

my thought is it will fully replace the typing

so Water Tera Gardevoir goes from Psychic/Fairy -> Water rather than Water/Fairy or Psychic/Water or Psychic/Fairy/Water
Hmmm, supressing its typing to become an entirely new one (and monotyping, since it is not possible to crystalize in more than 1 type) is interesting, no doubt about it, but im not sure about its implications.

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
my thought is it will fully replace the typing

so Water Tera Gardevoir goes from Psychic/Fairy -> Water rather than Water/Fairy or Psychic/Water or Psychic/Fairy/Water
This is confirmed on the website: https://scarletviolet.pokemon.com/en-us/news/terastal_phenomenon/

"First, each Pokémon has a Tera Type. A Pokémon's Tera Type is inactive until the Pokémon Terastallizes, at which time the Pokémon's type will change to its Tera Type."

"When a Terastallized Pokémon uses a move that matches its Tera Type and at least one of its original types, the boost to that move’s power will be even greater!"

So that Gardevoir we saw will be for all intents and purposes a Water-type, but just have STAB (or, at the very least, SOME kind of boost) to Fairy/Psychic moves.

Atleast, I could be wrong, but thats what Im going to go on believing until proven otherwise

Edit: pretty sure i was wrong on this

Last edited:
My understanding is that "regular" Tera doesn't change type and boosts your pokemon's stab (potentially both, or maybe its first type).
If you do use a Tera that's not your poke's regular type, it'll swap its type to it on top of boosting the new type's stab.
I'm pretty sure it doesn't go like this, extremely complex and specific. Either it changes the Pokémon typing from the get go or it doesn't, I don't see it working as in it only changes the typing of the Pokémon if you use an attack.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
and we can actually make our own fast powerful ice types lets gooooo
Depending on when Ice Terastal becomes availlable on any possible Pokémon, and if that or Ice Pokémon somehow aren’t completely dead-locked to lategame or worse endgame (very unlikely considering we could do gyms in any order, so about as fourth or fifth gym at worst)…

That will certainly make up for the usual flops many of the upcoming Generation‘s Ice-type turned out to be in practice.

"First, each Pokémon has a Tera Type. A Pokémon's Tera Type is inactive until the Pokémon Terastallizes, at which time the Pokémon's type will change to its Tera Type."

"When a Terastallized Pokémon uses a move that matches its Tera Type and at least one of its original types, the boost to that move’s power will be even greater!"

So that Gardevoir we saw will be for all intents and purposes a Water-type, but just have STAB (or, at the very least, SOME kind of boost) to Fairy/Psychic moves.

Atleast, I could be wrong, but thats what Im going to go on believing until proven otherwise.
That's not quite how i read it.

It simply means that a "untyped Tera" will boost stabs, and a "typed tera" will change your type to that while boosting the new stab, but if the type also matches one of your original types (es: Gardevoir uses a Psychic typed Tera turning into a mono-psychic and uses Psychic) the boost will be higher.

This is confirmed on the website: https://scarletviolet.pokemon.com/en-us/news/terastal_phenomenon/

Atleast, I could be wrong, but thats what Im going to go on believing until proven otherwise.
What I infer by this

" When a Terastallized Pokémon uses a move that matches its Tera Type and at least one of its original types, the boost to that move’s power will be even greater! "

Is that, if a Pokémon that was originally Psychic/Fairy, with a Terra Type of Psychic or Fairy, uses a Psychic or Fairy move (but not both at the same time), it'll be greatly boosted. But if a Psychic Fairy mon, crystalized in Psychic type, uses Moonblast, it'll not get a boost from anything, sice its Fairy no more and the crystalization typing is Psychic.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion

So how will this be determined, I wonder (and how will it be determined for Pokemon from older games)?

If they don't bring back Hidden Power, I could see it being determined based on IVs in a similar manner, though that would leave out Fairy and Normal.

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
That's not quite how i read it.

It simply means that a "untyped Tera" will boost stabs, and a "typed tera" will change your type to that while boosting the new stab, but if the type also matches one of your original types (es: Gardevoir uses a Psychic typed Tera turning into a mono-psychic and uses Psychic) the boost will be higher.
Oh SHIIEEETT. I think you're right. I knew the wording of "uses a move that matches its Tera Type and at least one of its original types" was bothering me because, after all, moves can only be one type.

So... you either get a completely new type or essentially become a mono-type with Adaptability? Lol.

The leaks were either misinterpreted or misremembered (neither are especially surprising, we've had legit leaks that do both) if this little blurb is anything to go by
Oh shoot, my b then. This completely changes the game (in a both good and bad way).

Most mons will probably just use Terra steel-type since even if they don't get STAB they have a significantly better defensive profile.

Terra Fire Eelektross becomes even more cool since it will have a strong secondary STAB flamethrower and the fire-typing gives it way more resistances. It doesn't have to deal w/ the 4x ground weakness thanks to levitate. HDB gets rid of the SR weakness.

Honestly, I am glad Terra types are being implemented like this. Initially I thought they were kinda lame since they would basically just be a glorified Plate item but I think changing the Pokemon's type will allow this gimmick to be used in pretty creative ways (which is probably why it will be banned lol).

chimp

Go Bananas
Here's hoping, but given how averse Game Freak has become to three-stage lines in recent generations, I'm more inclined to believe Pawmi is single-stage and that there's another two-stage line between them.
One of the leakers said Pawmi is a three-stager.

So how will this be determined, I wonder (and how will it be determined for Pokemon from older games)?

If they don't bring back Hidden Power, I could see it being determined based on IVs in a similar manner, though that would leave out Fairy and Normal.
It is implied you can find Pokemon with "rare Tera types" through the raids. So it's probably just a random thing like Natures that is determined when the Pokemon spawns. I have no idea how it'll work on the back-end obviously but you'll have to catch specific mons with specific Tera types.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
It is implied you can find Pokemon with "rare Tera types" through the raids. So it's probably just a random thing like Natures that is determined when the Pokemon spawns. I have no idea how it'll work on the back-end obviously but you'll have to catch specific mons with specific Tera types.
It'd be cool if they tiered the types, I've always thought that there's a bit of divide between more common/ordinary types like Normal, Fire, and Water, and the more rare/complex types like Dragon, Ghost, and Steel. I guess it could end up working that rarer types like Dragon are nonexistent (or very low percentage) in the wild and more common in raids.

It's an interesting idea though and I'm actually warming to it a lot. I like the notion of a mon being natively, say, Psychic/Fairy type but having a Tera type of Water or Grass or Flying. Adds a new dimension to the game.

Oh god I just had the sudden realisation that it's like when people say they're Capricorn with Gemini rising or whatever. This is just Pokemon's take on astrology isn't it

p23_01-2x.jpg

This is Duraludon all over again. Cool/decent enough design, and then it opens its mouth. Maybe this buddy will grow on me; duraludon's stupid expression when it attacks never did.

If raid dens are anything like the wild area, maybe there will be a chance of getting this early without having to make a detour to the icy region.

As for the other mons... disappointed we only got 3 after a 2 month wait. Paldean wooper is ok, will have to see its evo. I don't care for fidough and this trend of fairy type food mons.

Gimmick does seem more basic compared to last few so far. It's good that it seems to have some defensive utility after it was 'rumored' to just add stab. I wouldn't put it past gamefreak to implement it as "add stab to chosen type, gain one resistance/immunity to chosen type", rather than fully replacing/adding a type, but we'll see soon enough.

*Carefully removes padlock from thread gate*

All right everyone, it's open, but remember to play nice and don't be overly speculate-y before the main event begins, okay? And keep in mind that "leaks" are off limits.
There used to be spoiler threads for the new games to discuss the leaks and the eventual datamine. Although unusual to get leaks this far out from release, this trailer confirmed several leaked things, any chance we could get that thread to discuss the credible leaks instead of being directed to discord?

As a prelude, I don't know what the policy is on discussing aspects of the leaks that have proven accurate but haven't had official confirmation, which impacts the subsequent point indirectly.

As far as Tera Types go, the thing I'm curious about is if they're hard-set on the Pokemon once it's generated. Comparatively, Pokemon games have been going back and forth with mechanics and means to change or circumvent otherwise "locked" parts of a Pokemon's battling profile, such as Gigantamax Soup, Ability Capsules, Hyper Training, Mints where Nature stats are concerned, etc. Will the games end up offering ways to tweak a Pokemon's Tera Type, however effort/resource intensive it may be, or will a Pokemon be completely and definitely sticking to the one it spawns with?

I could see particularly versatile Pokemon who might run sets that are fairly similar between variants outside of changing their Tera Type for coverage, and the ability to alter that might be the difference between raising multiple instances of a Pokemon to try different teams out for PvP.

I'm mixed on the designs of the new Pokemon, but cautiously interested in the Gameplay direction promised and the way the new Gimmick works. While still a distant second, it's the most a generational gimmick has interested me since Mega Evolution.

Let me se if i get it right:

- All pokemon will have inate tera type.
- Terastalize uses a crown in a way like sailor moon make-up that gives your pokemon monotype armor when defending.
- Terastalized pokemon won't miss stab on their original type.
- If the crown matches the inate tera type, it will give stab mooves from that type.
- If the crown matches one of the original type, the stab bonus from this type will increase.

Is this it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)