Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

Bull Of Heaven

99 Pounders / 4'3" Feet
is a Pre-Contributor
Way-too-early thoughts on Terastal: I read Serebii's description before watching the trailer, and hated the sound of it. Then I watched the trailer, thought the game overall looked pretty solid, immediately worried less about Terastal. Then I remembered that I hated the sound of Dynamax at first, but ended up actually liking that mechanic. So I'm cautiously optimistic.

On a much more straightforward note, I immediately loved Cetitan. The new Pokemon designs have been mostly great so far. Still have no idea which starter I'll pick, as I like all three a lot.

I was a little iffy on the legendaries at first, but seeing them in action has me warming to them already.

Fidough is a funny name. I chuckled.

it has only been a day/a couple of hours since pooper has been revealed, but i love him already. he is quite bog champ.

also, i LOVE bike mode koraidon and miraidon, and i actually like that Koraidon doesn't use its ""wheels"", because it really dos not make sense. i also really like Terastal, from what i gather, its making a pokemon monotyped + giving it adaptability and some fancy visuals, yes?

Pawmi beeing number #22 while houndour is #25 is also really interesting, means either Pawmi is three staged or theres another line/two other mons filling in the blanks here. pawmi beeing a singled stage is lame, though.

1659563836127.png

For the sake of archiving, here's Sprigatito's info from the trailer. At level 9 it has Scratch, Tail Whip, Leafage, and Bite, looking like a fairly physical hitter to start though these are sensible flavour moves for a cat. Also this shows that the starter will probably just have its own type as the Tera type and I expect most common mons to do so as well. Also we're probably back to the regular HP formula and battle system if you had any doubts.

Sprigatito's 28 HP at Level 9 means it has less than 56 base HP (minimum 29) assuming no other formula changes. Level 6 Quaxly from trailer 2 has 23 HP vs Lechonk at 1:22 but this is a small level that just means it's less than 67 base HP, which is to be expected for a starter.

1659564384275.png

Also this website screenshot label implies that the raid battles will probably be the main method to get different/random tera types, though I imagine some mons like Drifblim with Fire and Eevee with Water will be less common but available in the wild since it makes sense for innate flavour, though now it would feel awkward to have that predestined path if you evolve a Grass Eevee into Flareon when the whole point is that it has infinite potential. I think there could be some interesting interactions with this like passing down a tera type via breeding from a differently typed parent, or at least something to make it more flexible than Hidden Power.

1659565188674.png

Speaking of raids, there was an interesting cut in the trailer to a point where all 4 raiders were grass terastallized and firing similar looking lasers. I wonder if this is a simultaneous effect you can activate via a cheer or a finisher, or they just debugged in all 4 of these mons for the sake of the trailer.

Speaking of raids, there was an interesting cut in the trailer to a point where all 4 raiders were grass terastallized and firing similar looking lasers. I wonder if this is a simultaneous effect you can activate via a cheer or a finisher, or they just debugged in all 4 of these mons for the sake of the trailer.
From playing a ton of SwSh raids, one of the biggest issues expecially when playing with non-friends online (and sometimes even with friends) would be people just... wasting dynamax for nothing, expecially on actually hard raids, and causing losses.

Honestly letting everyone be able to teralize seems like a sensible way to remove this issue.
Plus, while still strong, Teralize isn't anywhere as powerful as Dynamax moves either ways so no real reason to limit it to "1 per".

From playing a ton of SwSh raids, one of the biggest issues expecially when playing with non-friends online (and sometimes even with friends) would be people just... wasting dynamax for nothing, expecially on actually hard raids, and causing losses.

Honestly letting everyone be able to teralize seems like a sensible way to remove this issue.
Plus, while still strong, Teralize isn't anywhere as powerful as Dynamax moves either ways so no real reason to limit it to "1 per".
I mean I dunno I think on paper the literal power level of the moves in question will probably wind up similar. Dynamax moves will obviously have effects and teralize moves probably wont but if we're looking purely at "power"....

i also really like Terastal, from what i gather, its making a pokemon monotyped + giving it adaptability and some fancy visuals, yes?
The whole adaptability oversimplification only applies if the tera type matches one of the regular types. If the type is different there is no added benefit besides presumably the standard 1.5x STAB boost. I also don't think it makes you monotype but they weren't super clear about the specifics. Just having it act as a third (or second in the case of monotype mons) still makes the most sense to me.

Things we know for sure about Terastalizing:
-You throw out stronger moves that match the Tera Type
-If the move, tera type AND your original typing match, it gets even stronger
-Your type can change
-anyone can do it, anywhere
-for in-game purposes, you have to recharge it between uses

Everything beyond that is just kind of a big question mark. Like there's basically 4 options for type changes and everyone thinks their ways is the "most simple" way of doing it. The extent to which moves strengthen could be something small or it could be something big! Absolutely 0 clue on the ranges of anything involved

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
Regarding Tera, I wonder if mons can truly be any type or if thwy are randomized from a pool pf possible types during raids. Say Flygon in the wild defaults to Dragon and Ground but the Raids let it get Normal and Bug, but those 4 are all the possible types for Flygon. Would be an interesting balance factor imo, even if they aren't really clear on how it works atm so we can't be sure if this is where they're headed

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
One thing that's super important I don't think I've seen mentioned...

View attachment 444673

That's a whole party of pokemon just hanging out! It looks like that super neat feature of PLA where you could just toss out your Pokemon and interact with them might be back. Oh the photo opportunities ahead of us are bright...
Oh, it gets better. Remember, following Pokemon are a thing, so not only can you send out your full party but you can presumably have them follow you around as one big group!

I'm telling y'all, in conjunction with co-op this game is gonna have an in-game photography scene unlike anything we've ever seen before from this franchise. Super exciting stuff that really gets to the heart of what makes Pokemon so appealing.

There seem to already be a couple of significant improvements to Raid Battles we can gleam, so that's encouraging. In addition to what you mentioned the ability to attack more often without being entirely constrained to turns seems amazing for the pacing of these things.

View attachment 444673

That's a whole party of pokemon just hanging out! It looks like that super neat feature of PLA where you could just toss out your Pokemon and interact with them might be back. Oh the photo opportunities ahead of us are bright...
Lechonk looks very uncomfortable with Hatterene's gesture.

Anyone notice Lechonk is #10 in dex? It's the regional "rodent" seemingly
Being the first Pokémon after the starters doesn't mean its the regional rodent, it's actually quite rare for the rodent to be the mon right after the starters:
  • Kanto: Starters > Caterpie line > Weedle line > Pidgey line > and then the Rattata line
  • Hoenn: The Poochyena line is the one directly after the starters before the Zigzagoon line.
  • Sinnoh: The Starly line is the one directly after the starters before the Bidoof line.
  • Alola: The Pikipek line is the one directly after the starters before the Yungoos line.
Johto, Unova, Kalos, and Galar have the rodent follow the starters.

Half of the previous regions don't have the rodent follow the starters directly.

Pawmi beeing number #22 while houndour is #25 is also really interesting, means either Pawmi is three staged or theres another line/two other mons filling in the blanks here. pawmi beeing a singled stage is lame, though.
Or Pawmi is a two stager, and either there's an unrelated Pokémon between the two or they gave the Houdour line a Baby stage.

Way-too-early thoughts on Terastal: I read Serebii's description before watching the trailer, and hated the sound of it. Then I watched the trailer, thought the game overall looked pretty solid, immediately worried less about Terastal. Then I remembered that I hated the sound of Dynamax at first, but ended up actually liking that mechanic. So I'm cautiously optimistic.
Terastallizing feels like a much narrower version of Mega Evolution to me with emphasis on typing borrowed from regional forms but I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of strategies develop from changing types/ more use of stab. I think since types have been such a fundamental part off battling for so long, the new mechanic will allow for a whole new level of strategizing. Whether or not that will improve battles or not will be seen, I guess.

Replaces primary, replaces secondary, third type, replaces both?
It definitely doesn't replace only one of the Pokemon's types, or otherwise the whole deal of moves getting an extra boost if they "match [the Pokemon's] Tera type and at least one of its original types" doesn't make any sense. Whatever it does, it doesn't care about the order of a Pokemon's types.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
It feels weird that there's a Tera Type Eevee that can (probably) evolve into something other than its type feels weird to me. Water or Grass type Flareon feels wrong... Water Jolteon sounds cool for rain though if it still gets Weather Ball.

I'm assuming Terastallize gives a third type instead of replacing types because losing STAB on moves because you used a power up sounds annoying. For Monotype, that would allow Pokemon to resist types that the team is weak to without needing immunities. For example, Grass Tera Type Pelipper resists Grass for Water teams. It's also weak to Ice though, which kind of makes it feel like it sucks because of being weak to a type the team's type resists. Is gaining a weakness to a resisted move better or worse than giving yourself a x8 Weakness?

Regarding Tera, I wonder if mons can truly be any type or if thwy are randomized from a pool pf possible types during raids. Say Flygon in the wild defaults to Dragon and Ground but the Raids let it get Normal and Bug, but those 4 are all the possible types for Flygon. Would be an interesting balance factor imo, even if they aren't really clear on how it works atm so we can't be sure if this is where they're headed
They said that the Early Purchase Flying Tera Type Pikachu can't be obtained through normal gameplay, but that could be just because it knows Fly.

I'm half jokingly half seriously hoping for Hisuian Zoroark to be able to have a Fighting Tera Type. Being immune to both of your types is interesting, but gaining a third type you're also immune to is just funny. It'd also make people regret using Nasty Plot instead of a fourth attack in mirror matches. :P

View attachment 444673

The important thing about that image is that Scizor is confirmed, the best designed mon in the entire series alongisde Ho-Oh.

Dusk Mage Necrozma

formerly XenonHero126
It definitely doesn't replace only one of the Pokemon's types, or otherwise the whole deal of moves getting an extra boost if they "match [the Pokemon's] Tera type and at least one of its original types" doesn't make any sense. Whatever it does, it doesn't care about the order of a Pokemon's types.
Makes sense. I’m against 3-typed Pokemom in general, so my preferred system would be to replace both types unless it originally has the type. So Fire Tera Drifblim would be pure Fire, but Flying Tera Drifblim would still be Ghost/Flying

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)