Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
How will this work with Zoroark? Will it look like you're Terastallizing the Pokemon you're disguised as or would it break the Illusion? What if Zoroark comes in after either they or the Pokemmon they're disguised as Terastallized?

If it is triple types, there would be more room for debate. However, since the transformation allegedly makes you monotype, I don't think there are any issues defensively that would arise from this mechanic, unless Air Balloon Electric Shedninja becomes too OP or something. Dual types are usaually way better than mono-types defensively anyways.
Someone else already called it because of the anti-cheat problems Shedinja was causing with BDSP and Home, but the idea of Tera Electric Balloon Shedinja pretty much confirms they're not going to be in Gen 9... :(

Also Magnezone stonks are about to go up. Fire-type Tera Magnezone will be trapping and destroying all the Steel-types (maybe even the Tera ones).
Unless you're planning on OHKOing with Sunny Day, *Fighting Type. Magnezone is going to demolish everything with Body Press!

How I read this: Terastallize means Offensive Pokemon can get Super STAB (but become Monotype if they do) and Defensive Pokemon can all turn into Steel types.
Free Adaptability boost at the expense of dropping one of your STABs.

Frankly even THIS bit is far from certain. I could be totally wrong but I interpreted it as each Pokemon having a personalized set of types it specifically is allowed to choose from, these types selected for any manner of flavor reasons (e.g. Pikachu having Flying as an event reference to Balloon Pikachu)
It seems like they can have any typing as a Tera Type, but some will likely be a lot more rare than others. To quote the website: "There are 18 types, meaning there are countless combinations of Pokémon and Tera Types." Granted, if most types are rare appearances outside of Raids then it's effectively a personalized set of types barring some way to change them.

That's exactly what's happening though
Nah, You're changing to a single typing but if you're already the typing you get a free Adaptability boost.

Just... wow this is disappointing. The most interesting thing about types is how they interact when paired with other types. What blindspots they cover and leave on offense, and how they blend together into a unique defensive profile.

Like I thought the idea other people had of being monotype defensively and triple type offensively was overly convoluted, but at least it wasn't boring.
Yeah, I am disappointed as well. However, on the plus side, the in-battle flexibility of the way this mechanic works will still make it pretty fun to use when playing PvP battles... hypothetically anyways. I mentioned Hydreigon earlier, however another Pokemon that could hypothetically use this mechanic well is Weavile. Now Weavile is a pretty busted offensive threat, but there are situations where it can't OHKO everything and its high number of weaknesses make it easy to OHKO. In a matchup vs something like Conkedurr, it will be OHKO'd before its even able to move w/ Mach Punch. However, busting out the Tera Ghost-type would let it block Conkeldurr's Mach Punch & Facade and effectively get a few free hits on Conkedurr. However, the drawback is that now its Ice and Dark STAB won't be as powerful.

That being said, super charging STABs will probably be the go-to for most mons.
Free Adaptability boost at the expense of dropping one of your STABs.

It seems like they can have any typing as a Tera Type, but some will likely be a lot more rare than others. To quote the website: "There are 18 types, meaning there are countless combinations of Pokémon and Tera Types." Granted, if most types are rare appearances outside of Raids then it's effectively a personalized set of types barring some way to change them.

Nah, You're changing to a single typing but if you're already the typing you get a free Adaptability boost.
Supposedly there is a move that will turn into a Pokemon's Tera-type, which is why I mentioned Fire Zone. However Body Press Zone would also be pretty great (maybe better actually against stuff like Heatran).

One potential answer to the Tera-with-no-STAB problem, which does seem like something GF would want to avoid*, would be adding a TM move like:
Tera Beam, 100 Acc, 80 BP, 10 PP, Normal, when used by a Terarized mon, type matches their Tera type. Yes, that opens the Hidden Power can of worms, but I think requiring the Tera use for the battle would make GF consider it. The only other option I see is making the Tera encounters have their first moveslot replaced by a random move from their breeding movepool, and then setting the type off of that. Which might work, but would make certain combinations incredibly rare but not impossible, and GF seems to be going away from that.

*Could you imagine finding a Tera Water Shiny Gardevoir? Or the 10 year old kid that's GF's target audience finding one? They def want to avoid that

Other thoughts:
I hate that they're cutting back on customization. I've been vocal about this before, I will continue to be so. Give us more options to make our avatar look how we want it to, not fewer.
I didn't expect the Legends to be the ride pokes from the beginning. I still expect we'll have to discover the alternate movement modes over time(maybe the legend starts out injured/weak, which is why it travels with us and doesn't battle?), since locking the E4 behind the ability to climb waterfalls is a time-honored tradition.
3 storylines: Gym challenge, Evil team, Heal the legendary. That's my guess. If it's not one of those, Contests IX would make sense, but I doubt they give it that much focus.
On that note, they're claiming full open world, on a level between Mass Effect or Skyrim. I'm not expecting nearly that level of content, but "can actually travel anywhere in any order**" is far beyond what I expected when we started. I hope they pull it off.
Levelling will be interesting with that. Scaling gym leaders is easy to justify, and there's only 8 teams to remake. Scaling random trainers and/or wilds is harder to justify in-story and a lot more work. I have concerns.
The cast of characters is starting to feel very large. Again, I'm iffy on this. They're usually best-off with a narrow character focus, not building a dating sim.
It seems like multiplayer is optional. Hopefully not required even for raid battles? SwSh making multiplayer mandatory for raids past a certain point was just annoying.

**Except Victory Road, Evil Team final base, and similar plot-locked final areas

Also: Shout-out to Pachirisu being, unironically, the best Redirector currently in the Paldea dex. It helps its case that the only competition is Jumpluff (Better Defenses than Pachi and a neat utility movepool that includes Strength Sap but a worse typing and 0 offensive pressure/ability to set up KOs) and Venomoth (Better defensive typing than Jumpluff but worse defenses than Pachi and kinda meh utility/damage-wise) with Lucario (who would prefer attacking I'm sure) being a maybe depending on Egg Move availability.

Edit:
Supposedly there is a move that will turn into a Pokemon's Tera-type, which is why I mentioned Fire Zone. However Body Press Zone would also be pretty great (maybe better actually against stuff like Heatran).
The question is will it be like Morepeko's Signature move and base its typing off the 'mon's Primary Type (which could be rather dope depending on its Power) or be a set type and change based on the Tera-type after it transforms? (Which could be neat if physical, normal, and can replace Return)

Last edited:

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
One potential answer to the Tera-with-no-STAB problem, which does seem like something GF would want to avoid*, would be adding a TM move like:
Tera Beam, 100 Acc, 80 BP, 10 PP, Normal, when used by a Terarized mon, type matches their Tera type. Yes, that opens the Hidden Power can of worms, but I think requiring the Tera use for the battle would make GF consider it. The only other option I see is making the Tera encounters have their first moveslot replaced by a random move from their breeding movepool, and then setting the type off of that. Which might work, but would make certain combinations incredibly rare but not impossible, and GF seems to be going away from that.

*Could you imagine finding a Tera Water Shiny Gardevoir? Or the 10 year old kid that's GF's target audience finding one? They def want to avoid that
Something like Oricorio's Revelation Dance? Hmm... Oricorio's four different type forms gimmick just got interesting for an reason unrelated to the gimmick. Their stats suck, but being able to change into a completely different Type out of nowhere and always have a 90 Power STAB is interesting. I hope Oricorio makes the Dex because it sounds like something fun to mess around with in game if they learn Revelation Dance before Level 40.

Frankly even THIS bit is far from certain. I could be totally wrong but I interpreted it as each Pokemon having a personalized set of types it specifically is allowed to choose from, these types selected for any manner of flavor reasons (e.g. Pikachu having Flying as an event reference to Balloon Pikachu)
I think a very likely case for having access to a certain tera type is being able to learn a move of that type. Z-moves and Max moves were both anchored down by this concept, so it's got some precedent. I think there's a chance they let us just go totally wild and let us use anything, but I'm not expecting it.

And if this is how it works...

My Ferrothorn using Stealth Rock to Terastallize into a Rock-Type to blast back an opposing Charizard:

I think a very likely case for having access to a certain tera type is being able to learn a move of that type. Z-moves and Max moves were both anchored down by this concept, so it's got some precedent. I think there's a chance they let us just go totally wild and let us use anything, but I'm not expecting it.
I wanted to go "but Gardevoir doesn't learn any water type move yet it can water type tera", so i checked its moveset, and well, it does indeed learn Life Dew and Rain Dance Woweeeeeee

Edit: what I wanted to get at is, even though I doubt they'll let us go "totally wild", many pokemon actually learn random low bp or status moves that are of types you don't expect

Last edited:
I wanted to go "but Gardevoir doesn't learn any water type move yet it can water type tera", so i checked its moveset, and well, it does indeed learn Life Dew and Rain Dance Woweeeeeee

Edit: what I wanted to get at is, even though I doubt they'll let us go "totally wild", many pokemon actually learn random low bp or status moves that are of types you don't expect
The website mentions Flying Tera Type Eevee and neither it nor any of its evos learn any flying type moves.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
View attachment 444661
I don't quite see however how Z moves would fit in this, but otherwise it's pretty clear how they get the names
10^21 = Zetta. Z-moves, Zetta-moves, it almost fits perfectly.

How I read this: Terastallize means Offensive Pokemon can get Super STAB (but become Monotype if they do) and Defensive Pokemon can all turn into Steel types.
Steel may be nice with its tons of resistances, but it also has some common weaknesses. Electric, or Fairy are unconventional picks that also require a bit of specialization to break through. There's a reason why we haven't seen super-bulky Pokémon of those types yet. Electric has only one weakness (although arguably to the best move in the game), while the two weaknesses of Fairy are horribad offensive types for every other purpose and not likely to be carried around by random opponents.

Bronzong and Claydol in particular could be really annoying if allowed to Terastalize into Electric-types.

The website mentions Flying Tera Type Eevee and neither it nor any of its evos learn any flying type moves.
It has a special event move (Fly) specifically for that.

Incidentally it's also the first time they have a event exclusive move since early gen 7.. unless Pikachu will just learn Fly normally in same way they added Surf to its learnset in gen 8

Ok so this next thing is from a leaker but it isn't brand new unrevealed info, just clarification about how Terestral works

Main takeaway is yes, you become mono Terastral type after using it. Pretty cool drawback ngl. The fact it actually has a tangible drawback at all already puts it above Dynamax
If it boosts STAB to x2, that means it's using a fixated modifier, so no x1.5x1.5. That makes me wonders how much will it boost Pokémon that already have the Adaptability ability. Because it starts at x2 instead of x1.5, would it be fixed at x3?

I really want to do a deep dive on the mechanic, find some interesting combos, discuss whether Electric Shedinja wants Air Balloon or an item that blocks some variety of indirect damage. But it just feels so pointless without knowing that those mons will actually exist alongside the mechanic. It's not like I'm going to use anything in Natdex formats on Showdown either, given I got no enjoyment out of playing them in gen 8.

Tera Beam, 100 Acc, 80 BP, 10 PP, Normal, when used by a Terarized mon, type matches their Tera type.
Then they don't need do create a new move, just reintroduce Hidden Power revamped to match Tera-type instead of IVs, and to deal damage based on highest attack.

As for the mechanic beeing "everything monotype"... Meh.
This only values stronger types. Literally nobody wants a bug/ice/poison/normal Tera unless for very niche reasons.
Unless there is an upcomming type balance, which I doubt.

By far, the most looked ones will be the Fairy/Steel/Ghost Teras, and I bet those will be the hardest ones to have. Maybe they'll be even raid-exclusive Tera-types.

Dusk Mage Necrozma

formerly XenonHero126
This is definitely not remotely as broken as Dynamax was and likely will be more of a case by case basis of brokeness.
Yeah I realized that over the 10 pages of discussion. I overstated its defensive utility.
I think a very likely case for having access to a certain tera type is being able to learn a move of that type.
I’m on board with the idea that if you roll a rare Tera in a raid it gets a move of that type it wouldn’t normally be able to learn, ideally closer in power to Water Pulse or Aurora Beam than Surf or Ice Beam so that everything doesn’t get broken coverage.

As for the mechanic beeing "everything monotype"... Meh.
This only values stronger types. Literally nobody wants a bug/ice/poison/normal Tera unless for very niche reasons.
Unless there is an upcomming type balance, which I doubt.

By far, the most looked ones will be the Fairy/Steel/Ghost Teras, and I bet those will be the hardest ones to have. Maybe they'll be even raid-exclusive Tera-types.
From how they're presented I think all tera types beyond your innate one are like that

Flying type eevee, not Pikachu
ooops i'm dumb.

Nothing to see here, proceed further :psynervous:
(Though what i said still applies to Fly pikachu regardless, as Fly would still be a event move unless added to movepool)

...That said, to be fair, I do actually think it'll just be all 18 types regardless. The way the description is worded on the site points to "unlimited possibilities"
There are 18 types, meaning there are countless combinations of Pokémon and Tera Types.
I would assume that while probably the ones that appear in the wild will be pseudo randomized like dens in SwSh, we'll definitely get a way to "pilot" it like Gmax soup in the first DLC (assuming DLCs happen which i believe will)

I’m on board with the idea that if you roll a rare Tera in a raid it gets a move of that type it wouldn’t normally be able to learn, ideally closer in power to Water Pulse or Aurora Beam than Surf or Ice Beam so that everything doesn’t get broken coverage.
I do however consider this a possibility as well.

To be fair we know very little about it still, other than the effect type.

The way it'll shape the metagames, heh, difficult to tell. Mechanics that affect everyone always end up being "win more" scenarios where they make already good pokemons better, but you never know, certain outliers may be strong enough that the Tera carries them even if it means you have to commit it to them (kinda like say, MegaBeedrill, or Giga Coalassal)
This is definitely more important in VGC / BSS than in smogon formats though, as "bring 6 but pick 3/4" means you aren't forced to commit the mechanic to them, and can opt to bring or not bring them on per-game basis.

From how they're presented I think all tera types beyond your innate one are like that
I'm guessing they will be like Natures: totally random.
The raid ones already have one determined, since you fight them terastalized already. But the wild pokemon don't.

From the wording, it seems regular pokemon are only capable of "normal tera" (aka, just stab boost), and the ones with "special tera" are the ones available in the raid battles / obtained via events.
So regular pokemon won't change types, just get an extra stab?
This is just better than the raid ones lol

I think a lot of the impact on the metagame will also depend on whether it actually requires a held item or not (so far it looks like it doesn't, it just mentions a Tera Orb which seems more akin to a trainer item like the z-ring or whatever) and thus requires you to dedicate a slot to that mechanic (like megas) or not, or at least a lot less (like dynamax)

You might have a few 'dedicated' tera mons that basically don't function outside of their tera formes (ie: you get a steel salamence with intimidate roost defog, actually seems like a rly good defensive profile tbh, but absolutely needs the steel type) but I'm expecting most mons to actually use tera based on the matchup and which mon you'd choose to transform would depend on the situation. So yeah, sure, you might have a Tera-Fighting magnezone in your team, but if all you're trapping are steel birds and not ferrothorns, you might as well just stay electric and click thunderbolt. On the other hand in the next game you might want to go fighting to not get KO'd by ferrothorn's body press while doing more damage yourself. An even more based scenario would be that ferrothorn is not in the game

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)