(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alcremie is weird because it's not like Aromatisse or Slurpuff are Female only. And in terms of being a "girly" design it's more akin to, like, Ribombee. You can see the feminine in it, I guess, but I literally didn't know Alcremie was a female only species until months later lol.

The other female only fairies are at least, like, by design meant to come across as a gf a woman. Hatterne is a classic witch (& only a third dark pink for that matter) and counter part to the (frankly, shouldn't be male only) male only Grimmsnarl, Florges is a curvy woman, Enamorus is the Token Woman of the cloud bros. Alcremie....doesn't. It's just a cute little dollop of whipped cream that kinda sort of looks like it has some pigtails.
B-but Alcremie is all creamy. Thats enough for me.

Hatterne is a classic witch (& only a third dark pink for that matter) and counter part to the (frankly, shouldn't be male only) male only Grimmsnarl
I found out the Impidimp line is the only all-male three stage Pokémon line other than Male Nidoran.
Why? And also, why aren't there any other male-only Fairy-type Pokémon?

My own annoyances about Garmanitan.

The gimmick with Darmanitan is that it's normally energized and angry, but it calms down when it enters Zen Mode (which is probably why they localized it as Zen Mode, even though Doll Mode would have been more accurate and wouldn't have made things weird eight years down the line). With Garmanitan, the temperments are reversed. It's normally calm and relaxed, but entering """Zen""" Mode has its dormant anger flare back up (decidedly not zen).

With Darmanitan, this is reflected in its mechanics. Its raging form is frail, pretty fast, and very physically strong, while its calm form is bulky, slow, and very specially strong. Additionally, its alternate ability to Zen Mode is Sheer Force, an unga bunga ability fitting for a Darmanitan that will be perpetually raging and not calm down at half health.

With Garmanitan... well, the raging form is good. Its stats are largely identical to Darmanitan's raging form, just exaggerated because it's now the doll form and the doll form has a higher BST. But instead of the calm form's stats being a milder version of Darmanitan's calm form, it's identical to Darmanitan's raging form. And instead of its alternate ability reflecting its state of calm, it's the most unga bunga ability in the entire game.

Zen Mode Darmanitan was a poorly-executed concept, but it an interesting concept, and the mechanical dichotomy between monkey and doll was something I think was worth preserving. While it would have made regular Garmanitan yet another slow bulky Ice-type, I'd take that over making it Monkey Dracovish for no discernible reason, and putting the bulky form first instead of second when it's already at half HP would have finally let Zen Mode function.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The gimmick with Darmanitan is that it's normally energized and angry, but it calms down when it enters Zen Mode (which is probably why they localized it as Zen Mode, even though Doll Mode would have been more accurate and wouldn't have made things weird eight years down the line). With Garmanitan, the temperments are reversed. It's normally calm and relaxed, but entering """Zen""" Mode has its dormant anger flare back up (decidedly not zen).
Well, you see, the Japanese name of "Zen Mode" is "Daruma Mode", which is more in line with the intention of the Zen Mode transformation. Unovan Darmanitan transforms into a Zen Mode that looks more like a doll, more specifically, a Daruma Doll, which is why it's "Daruma Mode". Galarian Darmanitan becomes something more like a snowman, more specifically the East Asian style of snowman, especially in Japan, where the snowman in Japan is explicitly designed after Bodhidharma and the Daruma Dolls made in his image. The Japanese name for "snowman" is 雪だるま, which transliterates to "Yukidaruma". This translates to "Snow Daruma". Hence why Galarian Darmanitan is a snowman, or a "Snow Daruma".

Also, with Zen Mode, the name in English does work in a weird way that doesn't have to do with the traditional meaning of Zen. You see, Daruma Dolls and Japanese snowmen are designed in the image of the monk Bodhidharma, who is the founder of Zen Buddhism. So in that sense, no matter how you put it, the name Zen Mode also works in that spin, as Zen Buddhism is the name of the specific division of Buddhism that Bodhidharma originated, and both the Daruma Doll and the snowman are supposed to look like him in certain poses. So it's not "Zen" in the literal sense of being zen, but Zen as in Zen Buddhism, the traditions started by the man who originated it and whom Darmanitan is in some ways based off of.

I think it's also important to point out that zen refers to a state of enlightenment. While in humans this is nearly always associated with a calm and peaceful state of contemplative meditation, if a being's enlightened state is a state of energy then that would be its zen state. Galarian Darmanitan is obviously heavily associated with fire, and fire is a state of energy (or a change in the state of energy). It makes some degree of sense that its zen form is a higher energy state, representing the release of energy that fire causes.

Don't make me bring this out again
Zeraora being electric/fighting is the same as people arguing about electric/dark luxray: there's about 1 to 2 design choices that could argue about it, which is very little to go by, but everyone talks as it is obvious

Zeraora is bipedal and has big hands. That's about it. Plasma fists is barely a fist move either.

Luxray has dark fur and a mean face. That's also about it

Also, part of the reason I went through a Pokémon burnout in 2017 is because it felt like half of r/pokemon consisted of "Charizard should've been a Dragon type, Lugia should've been a Water type, Luxray should've been a Dark type, Palkia should've been a Psychic type" ad nauseum.
Is there a bingo of commonly-asked type alterations? Because bingos are much healthier than drinking games.

Early Battle Frontier rounds are full of turn wasters.

Why tf are there basic stage mons on Open Level? :facepalm:
Tbh it didn't get much better in gen 7... I still loathe the "pre 40 wins" roster, bunch of just cheese sets like scarf aerodactyl with only rock slide, or charm + confuse + paralysis enemies, who are harmless but you still have to muscle through.

I much more appreciated the way Battle Tower worked, if only it wasnt that easy :\

Zeraora is bipedal and has big hands. That's about it. Plasma fists is barely a fist move either.
Zeraora is also one of the few non-Fighting Pokemon to learn Close Combat through level up, and also learns every Fighting-type TM or tutor move in every game it's been in, including being one of only two non-Fighting Pokemon to learn Coaching.

EDIT: Except Body Press. Forgot to check TRs.

Last edited:
Zeraora is also one of the few non-Fighting Pokemon to learn Close Combat through level up, and also learns every Fighting-type TM or tutor move in every game it's been in, including being one of only two non-Fighting Pokemon to learn Coaching.
To be quite honest: this means nothing to me. Pokémon learning batches of moves despite their type is not something unique to zeraora, and does not erase that the actual design itself is extremely disconnected to most fighting type design philosophies.

To be quite honest: this means nothing to me. Pokémon learning batches of moves despite their type is not something unique to zeraora, and does not erase that the actual design itself is extremely disconnected to most fighting type design philosophies.
I'm aware it's not unique to Zeraora, but it's sure of a hell lot more than Luxray. Luxray's literal only connection to Dark is that it's black (the few Dark moves it learns are super basic) while Zeraora actually has some mechanics to its Fighting connection.

I'm aware it's not unique to Zeraora, but it's sure of a hell lot more than Luxray. Luxray's literal only connection to Dark is that it's black (the few Dark moves it learns are super basic) while Zeraora actually has some mechanics to its Fighting connection.
I guess this just makes me see Luxray as more ridiculous, than Zeraora as less ridiculous. Not sure if that makes any sense though

my biggest typing hot take that I've held onto for literally almost 2 decades is Glalie, the oni ice ball pokemon that kinda fucked upily freeze dries and eats prey alive & striking black accent markings, should have been Ice/Dark
I'm nots aying it'd be good at it, but if anything that fits a lot of gen 1-3 pokemon so it'd be right at home!
Tbh it didn't get much better in gen 7... I still loathe the "pre 40 wins" roster, bunch of just cheese sets like scarf aerodactyl with only rock slide, or charm + confuse + paralysis enemies, who are harmless but you still have to muscle through.

I much more appreciated the way Battle Tower worked, if only it wasnt that easy :\
I am guessing the pre-40 wins rosters being so easy is a bone to throw at people just coming out of the main game with their normal team

Source: my main game team that i drag through the battle facilities occasionally

I am guessing the pre-40 wins rosters being so easy is a bone to throw at people just coming out of the main game with their normal team

Source: my main game team that i drag through the battle facilities occasionally
To an extent, it's probably necessary to have something for an ingame team unless there's a significant redistribution of powerful items. You can't expect the player to be optimized when starting the Battle Facility when most of the optimization tools are locked behind said Facility. BDSP runs into problems here in my opinion: powerful sets with current-gen AI while still having gen 4's rate of getting BP.

To an extent, it's probably necessary to have something for an ingame team unless there's a significant redistribution of powerful items. You can't expect the player to be optimized when starting the Battle Facility when most of the optimization tools are locked behind said Facility. BDSP runs into problems here in my opinion: powerful sets with current-gen AI while still having gen 4's rate of getting BP.
Likewise this is why the Battle Subway, Maison & Tree have "Super" variants that just bypasses all the unevolved cruft. You got to get familiar with the way the facilities work, you get to beat up a boss, yo uget some BP and you always have it on hand if you want an easier place to mess around in and then can transition into the Super line as you get a better understanding of things.

A little annoying for those who already know their way but a 21 battle streak one-and-done is but certainly better than the previous alternative

And then the Battle Tower in Galar is just.......different, in general, and gets a completely different design philosophy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 5, Guests: 6)