Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

Honestly i don't mind Cud Chew much because it feels Dazzling the Third or Sap Sipper (If it keeps that) are gonna be the more competitive relevant abilities. Cud Chew just reads to me as a funny gimmick option for a mon that would already have 2 other pretty fine ability options either way. Say what you will about signature abils but I think its fine if they want to just make the ability fun, even if not strictly competitive, as its own little gimmick.
The thing is that we don't know if other Pokemon will get Cud Chew, including older Pokemon with only one normal ability(Similar to how a handful of Pokemon got Competitive as a second normal ability in Gen VI when the ability was introduced). Armored Tail is pretty Farigiraf-specific fluff-wise so it would make sense if that was it's signature ability, Cud Chew in both English and Japanese can apply to a whole host of Mammalian creatures

So lets say Pikachu has a fire tera type. It will get a unique "tera move" of the fire type? If I understand that right, it is essentially like hidden power. Now I am wondering if it will be a special or physical move.
Tera Blast changes its category depending on which stat is higher. You can actually read about it on the Pokemon website.
Also it will only be Fire if Pikachu Terastallizes, so it’s pretty limited.

That is nice, so more versitile than hidden ability. And not IV dependent. Seems like a "hidden typing" version of hidden ability.
It's actually less versatility. It's just a low BP normal move that's completely useless unless you Teralyze that pokemon.
Outside Pokemon that suffer from such bad movepool that basically only run stab cause they have nothing else, it's unlikely to see use if the power is as low as it shows.

Though, it may see more use in VGC specifically due to the nature of the format (bring 6 pick 4) where you can have pokemon specifically dedicated to the gimmick and not bring them if not the case (like certain mons run 2 turn moves currently for the sole purpose of dynamaxing)

That is nice, so more versitile than hidden ability. And not IV dependent. Seems like a "hidden typing" version of hidden ability.
It’s actually way worse because despite the whole category change aspect because you need to Terastallize. This means only one Pokemon on your team can Terastallize, where as Hidden Power in the past could at least be used on multiple Pokemon.
Additionally, movepools have been so bloated that you’re rarely see a Pokemon that doesn’t have a stronger coverage option to abuse.

It's not hidden at all. The Tera type of each mon is on the summary screen. Seriously, just check the official website, the trailers, or something. You're raising points that have been debunked months ago.

No clue for sure but it seems like around base 60 power
I'd honestly assume it's 50. It seems to have followed the Weather Ball script, twice the power and the retype when the user is Teralized.

Absolute gimmick.

I'd honestly assume it's 50. It seems to have followed the Weather Ball script, twice the power and the retype when the user is Teralized.

Absolute gimmick.
Actually based on the trailer, it doesn’t double in power. It has similar BP to Icy Wind based on how much damage it does to Klawf compared to Icy Wind. It does little over half while factoring in STAB and Super Effectiveness.

Actually based on the trailer, it doesn’t double in power. It has similar BP to Icy Wind based on how much damage it does to Klawf compared to Icy Wind. It does little over half while factoring in STAB and Super Effectiveness.
That's not confirmed. If the Drifloon in the trailer had higher atk than special atk(possible with nature alone), then Tera Blast would be physical. If Klawf has a Graveler-like stat spread, then you can get the same results as we saw with a base-100 Terablast. That's a lot of cleverness for this trailer to use hiding something like that, but it's possible.

The other possibility is that there's a mechanic we don't know about in these battles, where the mon survives on a sliver and runs no matter what, forcing you to defeat it multiple times. That honestly seems more plausible than my math solution.

It's actually less versatility. It's just a low BP normal move that's completely useless unless you Teralyze that pokemon.
Outside Pokemon that suffer from such bad movepool that basically only run stab cause they have nothing else, it's unlikely to see use if the power is as low as it shows.
I'm wondering if it can make Flareon usable. Probably not, it just has such a limited move pool.

That's not confirmed. If the Drifloon in the trailer had higher atk than special atk(possible with nature alone), then Tera Blast would be physical. If Klawf has a Graveler-like stat spread, then you can get the same results as we saw with a base-100 Terablast. That's a lot of cleverness for this trailer to use hiding something like that, but it's possible.

The other possibility is that there's a mechanic we don't know about in these battles, where the mon survives on a sliver and runs no matter what, forcing you to defeat it multiple times. That honestly seems more plausible than my math solution.
Yeah, it could technically still be any number of BP, but most likely one is 60 BP to 80 BP. Especially since Pokemon trailers often tweak stuff to make sure the things they want to showcase are more powerful than they are. It seems like a nice rounded number that matches what Hidden Power was like before since Terablast is supposed to be the replacement. You can kind of see the move as a rebalanced Hidden Power. Upgraded to work with physical attackers but nerfed due to requiring the shiny hat mechanic.

The more I think about the sandwich feature, the more absurd it becomes.

Pokemon is no stranger to food-making minigames, but they've always been Pokefied in someway. Even the curry involved using berry held items as ingredients. But from what it looks like, the only Pokemon-related thing in this is the pin at the end. Everything else is just... real life sandwich stuff.

And there's physics. It's not like a menu where you just select your ingredients, play a little minigame, and boom there's your sandwich. No, you physically stack the ingredients, and they can fall off if not stacked right. They programmed object collision and gravity for a fucking sandwich simulator.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The more I think about the sandwich feature, the more absurd it becomes.
Not to mention that apparently the sandwich you make is enough to feed you and ALL your Pokemon. Sure it's a long sandwich but it doesn't look that long, and you have to cut it into at most 7 pieces. And, as we've seen from other languages videos of the stacking game, the sandwich can be completely lopsided with ingredient distribution. So, unless you cut it lengthwise for really long and thin slices, each participant could end up eating a completely different kind of sandwich yet the same benefits will be shared among everyone.

And, as we've seen from other languages videos of the stacking game, the sandwich can be completely lopsided with ingredient distribution.
1665384095035.png
1665384076177.png

And bread placement too, as the website shows an example of the sandwich barely holding together. I wonder what the meta will be for making a 5-star sandwich without the main rare berry factor, and also how we will obtain ingredients since I don't know if they'll have the same deal as SWSH with them all being in the wild area.

Speaking of the sandwiches, it's interesting that they give effects on certain types of encounters kind of like the BDSP underground statues in a way and a more pokemon-focused version of Pass Powers/O-Powers/Rotom Powers. I wonder what the Teensy power entails, maybe raising the chance of finding small pokemon or something.
1665384157180.png

Incidentally, the Chinese versions of the website show the Violet version of the picnic table.
1665384695510.png

RoiDadadou

My heart and actions are utterly unclouded.
is a Pre-Contributor
Ladies and gentlemen, the Google Sheet is ready for whenever the datamining starts (by the end of the month). If any of you would be so kind as to DM me on Smogon whenever they see anything related to it, it would mean a lot to me (as I'm sometime stuck without any Twitter access) :totodiLUL:

It's based on the last model I made for PLA, I'll of course make some adjustements once we have real names/abilities etc. : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...ijn8Im8kU0QnjNyi3AJ6a5feM/edit#gid=1950256124.

WARNING : The second page contains what's actually considered as leaks, so avoid the doc if you don't want to see this kind of material.

Last edited:
Here in Spain what we refer by sandwich is this

View attachment 458104

What's being done in Scarlet/Violet minigame is a bocadillo, altho i dont know tbh if bocadillos are a thing outside of Spain and if you call them sandwiches.
in america if we really wanted to use a specific name for this minigame's sandwich it would probably be a "sub sandwich" but we'd just as often shorten it to just....sandwich. Or sub, but I can hear the localization staff gently putting their hands on my arm as they quietly go "no..."

Has there been words or clues on Hisui mons in gen 9? Would love to use these guys in SV
While i doubt any hisuian mons are native to Paldea, we have seen Hisuian Zoroark in early screenshots, so we know if the base mons are in the game, hisuian forms can also be included.
Pretty much what Count Bleck is all. We know for a fact Zoroark is in from the very first trailers but that's about it.

From pure commercial standpoint (despite GF/TPCI's inability to do PR properly...), it's very likely that all Hisuian forms will be available in the game, not necessarly native but at very least transferable. It'd make sense as well as being an incentive for people to buy LA if they haven't yet, to be able to use their (figuratively) shiny new Enamorous or NotWeavile in VGC 2023.

Also, if we want to use SwSh and Let's Go as "regular pokemon games with dexit" precedent (I won't include BDSP due to them attempting to be a "faithful remake TM") the presence of a given pokemon in the regional dex who also has a regional form will also imply the presence of all its other regional forms / evolutions.
SwSh for example had coded in all the regional forms of galarian forms present in the dex as well as Alolan forms of kantonian pokemon and even (Alolan) Persian / Cofagrigius, though some of them were only legally obtainable once Home compatibility was released.
Let's Go had Alolan forms available both via transfer and directly in game from specific traders.

A extra case in point in SV specifically is that they already shown the presence of Kantonian Wooper on top of Pooper.

TLDR: While we have no official confirmation, there are many hints pointing at the availability of Hisuian forms in the game, at very least the ones of pokemon also present in the dex, but potentially all of them.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
What's being done in Scarlet/Violet minigame is a bocadillo, altho i dont know tbh if bocadillos are a thing outside of Spain and if you call them sandwiches.
I'm surprised Pokemon didn't use "bocadillo" and call it something like "Pokedillo" (or, since another term for the sandwich is "bocata", they could also do "Pokebocata" which I think rolls off the tongue better). And don't think they wouldn't: Pokemon-Amie anyone (based on the French term "Mon Amie" which means "My Friend")?

Pretty much what Count Bleck is all. We know for a fact Zoroark is in from the very first trailers but that's about it.

From pure commercial standpoint (despite GF/TPCI's inability to do PR properly...), it's very likely that all Hisuian forms will be available in the game, not necessarly native but at very least transferable. It'd make sense as well as being an incentive for people to buy LA if they haven't yet, to be able to use their (figuratively) shiny new Enamorous or NotWeavile in VGC 2023.

Also, if we want to use SwSh and Let's Go as "regular pokemon games with dexit" precedent (I won't include BDSP due to them attempting to be a "faithful remake TM") the presence of a given pokemon in the regional dex who also has a regional form will also imply the presence of all its other regional forms / evolutions.
SwSh for example had coded in all the regional forms of galarian forms present in the dex as well as Alolan forms of kantonian pokemon and even (Alolan) Persian / Cofagrigius, though some of them were only legally obtainable once Home compatibility was released.
Let's Go had Alolan forms available both via transfer and directly in game from specific traders.

A extra case in point in SV specifically is that they already shown the presence of Kantonian Wooper on top of Pooper.

TLDR: While we have no official confirmation, there are many hints pointing at the availability of Hisuian forms in the game, at very least the ones of pokemon also present in the dex, but potentially all of them.
To expand on that: data for Kantonian Slowpoke was programmed in alongside Galarian Slowpoke back when they released the patch that put the DLC teaser into the game, however they prevented you from transferring K-Slowpoke in due to the data for its evolutions not being present.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)