SPOILERS! Scarlet & Violet Leaks Thread - Data/Mechanics

Eh, while it saddened me to learn SV have no facility, it was coming.
The playerbase for these has always been extremely small, and VGC players always loathed having to "go through the tedium to get BPs for items".

Can't exactly blame GF for not making one.

Still saddens me though.
So as someone who never really cared for them, Small but dedicated little bit of post game to train up new dudes and tackle "tough" content vaguely resembling PVP makes a lot of sense and it gives them an opportunity to flex and make a bunch of "tough" movesets to show things off.
And it's basically an "endless" post game if you're into that specific aspect of the games. Removing it entirely does feel kinda......lame. Tera Raids aren't quite the same. Even BDSP had a full suite of Battle Tower pokemon and that game had Problemz

That said

Legends Arceus makes me wonder if there might be a free DLC update for Pokemon Day. Aside from a bit of story and the super swarms, the big addition in Daybreak was a bunch of battle stuff that it didn't really have beyond some paltry offerings from the Dojo
-Path of Tenacity: Kind of rematches, kind of distinct separate challenge
-Path of Solitude: Individualized Let's Go-Styled Master Trainers
-And most relevantly is Eternal Battle Reverie: the closest thing the game has to a Battle Tower

We already know that Ranked Battles aren't happening until December so it seems like they want to give time to finish out the game at your own pace, enjoy some casual stuff, build up Pokemon and then dig into "bigger" stuff. In that respect a similar thing happening for The Tower (& maybe a smidge of story content) wouldn't feel too out of step. And then of course they can announce new paid DLC to pick up the Third Legend story threads (+whatever else they want)

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Without a Switch Online Subscription or any local friends, there's no reason to think about PvP.
Without a Battle Facility, there's not much reason to breed or SR for good IVs and EV train for single player either.

I see no post game in SV and I'm still happy with Restricted Sparring. I'm glad they didn't have anything as stupid as forced affection again, but I still think I may skip this game...

I'm also worried about the rumor of movesets possibly being deleted after transferring to Gen 9. I don't blame Game Freak for doing that when some moves, like HGSS Sucker Punch or soon Toxic, are restricted to games that are old enough to have reports of having cartridges dying (ORAS and I'm worried about my sister's Soul Silver) and you can't get versions of RBY and GSC that can be transferred from any more, even second hand if you didn't buy them because of the EShop closing and being digital only, but it still hurts way too much if it's true.
I'm blaming them if they use Home's pay wall as an excuse though. That's your fault and you don't get to blame the part that is your fault. (I know servers cost money, but still.)

So as someone who never really cared for them, Small but dedicated little bit of post game to train up new dudes and tackle "tough" content vaguely resembling PVP makes a lot of sense and it gives them an opportunity to flex and make a bunch of "tough" movesets to show things off.
And it's basically an "endless" post game if you're into that specific aspect of the games. Removing it entirely does feel kinda......lame. Tera Raids aren't quite the same. Even BDSP had a full suite of Battle Tower pokemon and that game had Problemz
I was talking about this earlier but I think it's an issue of scope and resources: Battle tower (or whatever it's called) sets and teams can take a lot of time to create and have the AI be useful somewhat, all for a feature ignored by most of the fanbase and met with disdain for quite a few of the users it's meant to cater to.

You can definitely improve it, but improving it takes a lot more time, while the celling of people you can please with this is very low (no matter how perfect a competitive mode is, at the end of the day, most players aren't big on competitive and don't like battling like that). Compare that to putting that resource on the main and post story routes, which give a more immediate positive feedback, and people are more fond of as post game content.

Honestly, I wish they'd go all in on good plots, both for main and post game, and then made stuff like battle frontiers or whatever DLC, but that's not nearly as profitable lol

Same vibes
Okay so, I was a bit iffy on the design for a while but the combination of these 2 things and a few other discoveries have changed my opinion it. You see, many mons in this game reference Kaijus or allude to Godzilla, but Baxcalibur is the closest we'll ever get to the King of the Kaijus. Allow me to explain:

While I'm certain a japanese studio would be loathe to include ANY part of the maligned 1999 Godzilla film (so much so that they officially dubbed that version of Godzilla "Zilla"), the similarity to Minilla and Showa Godzilla are pretty clear. the gray skin, the awkward nose on the base form, and hey, Zilla evolving into Godzilla might even be a jab on what the superior form is. From its general stature to its Sail, you an tell its meant to evoke its visage to the viewer.

Exhibit B: Evolution and Ability

Godzilla is permanently tied to the terror that is the nuclear bomb, and its evolution line and ability is no different. Frigibax evolves into Archibax at level 35. This is a reference to Uranium-235, the isotope that is responsible for making the deadly atomic bombs by utilizing nuclear fission. Next, Archibax evolves into Baxcalibur at level 54, which is a BIG clue. You see, 1954 is when the first debut of Godzilla hit theaters, a movie who's impact both become a centerpiece of japan and a plea to halt nuclear testing lest the world be destroyed. Godzilla IS the metaphor of the atomic bomb in its original showing, and it doesnt just stop at the evolution line. Its ability is Thermal Exchange, which whenever it gets hit by a Fire move, it raises it's attack by 1. This is how Nuclear Fission works; a chain reaction that can heat things up in a controlled environment or spiral into giant explosions when not contained, such as with bombs. So yes, heating up Baxcaliber will result it in the blunder blowing up with your face as it mauls you. But this is also a reference to Godzilla heating itself up with radiation, sometimes gaining incredibly powerful new forms when overexposed to nuclear element, such as the recent Thermonuclear Godzilla in King of the Monsters (2019)

Exhibit C: The Animation

So my first reaction was "This is goofy as all hell. Why would they animate it like this." But after I started connecting the dots and looked at the gif again, I realized it's not just gliding, its expelling cold breath from his maw to propel himself forward, not even touching the ground. and thats when I realized this was 100% intentional and a callback. Not to the Dropkick which is equally hilarious and from a similar time period, but to the fact that Godzilla could Actually FLY in the air by using its breath as a propulsion device.

Conclusion:Baxcalibur is the Godzillia-iest Godzilla that ever zilla'd, Ttar be damned. I still feel like its a little underdesigned, but with so many clear cut references, I wouldnt be surprised of Toho themselves were closeby, just waiting to issue a lawsuit if they gave him one sail to many. As a fan of Pokemon, Kaijus, AND Godzilla, I cant bring myself to dislike its goofy kingly self. I do have one question though...

WHY WASNT THIS IN THE GAME WITH THE GIANT KAIJU BATTLES?!

Btw for the joy of the OU players, I found them
View attachment 464813

Also had Toxic/Flame Orb, and Black Sludge as far as relevant stuff.
Havent found the choice items or AV yet though.
The Protective Pads are here, and purchasable, so that just really adds to me wanting to know about the protection on Punching Gloves.

Other than Z Crystals beating out Gems, have we ever had one item that's just a straight upgrade to another?

I assume no one has found anything like this yet, but I wonder if there's an easy way to reset EVs. If bottles caps are that cheap and you can still get mints, it seems like it will be really easy to make anything you want competitive

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)