Research Scarlet & Violet Battle Mechanics Research

Hey, wanted to ask, does punching glove do 1.5 times more damage or 1.1? Right now it's implemented as 1.1 but by what is everywhere, it should be 1.5. If someone could check, I would appreciate it.
https://www.serebii.net/itemdex/punchingglove.shtml
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sv-ou-metagame-discussion-see-post-163.3710915/post-9403732
Did some testing in game, with a rematch of one of the the star leaders, so the first pokemon is always the same.

It definitely looks to me like 10%. I mean 50% is a Choice Band and the difference in the health bar is very little. I did it 5 times with and 5 without, but honestly after the first time you see is not that much, so unless im doing something wrong, i can say at least it is not 50%.

Did some testing in game, with a rematch of one of the the star leaders, so the first pokemon is always the same.

It definitely looks to me like 10%. I mean 50% is a Choice Band and the difference in the health bar is very little. I did it 5 times with and 5 without, but honestly after the first time you see is not that much, so unless im doing something wrong, i can say at least it is not 50%.
Alright thanks, kinda weird so many fonts are saying it's 50% but that's how it goes I guess...

If I had to guess, Serebii probably had a typo and Cybertron followed Serebii for it as the latest update to it (since he did reference smogon posts its not like he's unaware).

GenOne

DOU main. GMT-7. PS!: GenOne
is a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
On PS, neither of Mirror Herb or the ability "Opportunist" seem to react to Dondozo's +2 stat buffs when Tatsugiri activates its Commander ability.

Is Dondozo actually immune to letting its opponent mirror its stat boosts on cart, or is this a PS bug? Mirror Herb and Opportunist both seem to proc on the following turn when Order Up is used.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9doublesou-1716501719

On PS, neither of Mirror Herb or the ability "Opportunist" seem to react to Dondozo's +2 stat buffs when Tatsugiri activates its Commander ability.

Is Dondozo actually immune to letting its opponent mirror its stat boosts on cart, or is this a PS bug? Mirror Herb and Opportunist both seem to proc on the following turn when Order Up is used.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9doublesou-1716501719
Probably because Commander is Tatsugi's ability, and Tatsugi is no longer on the field by the time either of those would activate?

So, about terastal and Double Shock, apparently the move's effect to remove the user's electric type doesn't work if you're terastalized. Was fighting the league today and terastalized my pawmot to tera electric and was able to spam double shock the whole fight. Meanwhile, if I'm not terastalized, the move fails after using it once and losing the electric type. Still needs testing to see if the move keeps the 2x stab or if it's reduced to 1,5x after the first use.

So, about terastal and Double Shock, apparently the move's effect to remove the user's electric type doesn't work if you're terastalized. Was fighting the league today and terastalized my pawmot to tera electric and was able to spam double shock the whole fight. Meanwhile, if I'm not terastalized, the move fails after using it once and losing the electric type. Still needs testing to see if the move keeps the 2x stab or if it's reduced to 1,5x after the first use.
Interesting, that would imply the same thing occurs with Burn Up.

Do Stomp, Body Slam et al still deal double damage to Minimized foes? I couldn't find the usual flag among the flags. Related, do any new moves have the effect? I would expect it of Gigaton Hammer

Fragmented

procrastinating...
is a Pokemon Researcher
Well, sadly I dont have a source; I was trying to see if it could be verified here, as until then its just a rumor. Ill take this into account for future questions.

Opportunist: Is there a cap to how many times this ability triggers within a turn? Example: 2 Espartha's are facing each other, each with Opportunist. One uses Calm Mind, triggering the other's ability, raising its stats. Does this cause a loop until both are completely maxed out, or is there is a limit to how may times it can copy stats from the opponent? In addition, if an Espartha were to hold a Mirror Herb, which of the 2 would take priority, the ability or the item?

Looks like you were right on the money, Nails. Great work.
I think this went unanswered so I went ahead and tested it.

1. Opportunist only activates once, so no endless cycles of boosts
2. Both Opportunist and Mirror Herb activates when the opponent boosted.

Test: Caught a wild Espathra and gave it Mirror Herb, fought wild Espathra that used Agility, got messages for both Opportunist activation and Mirror Herb being used, my own Espathra had +4 Speed at the end of the turn.

Here's another one: Looking at the move data, Wildbolt Storm and Bleakwind Storm share effect sequences with Thunder and Hurricane respectively. Does that mean they get the no miss in rain effect? Similarly, does Sandsear have a similar effect in Sand? Do they interact with weather at all?

Here's another one: Looking at the move data, Wildbolt Storm and Bleakwind Storm share effect sequences with Thunder and Hurricane respectively. Does that mean they get the no miss in rain effect? Similarly, does Sandsear have a similar effect in Sand? Do they interact with weather at all?
i actually made a similar question before the game even came out purely because there was a discovery of this for all four of the moves in LA
The Legends arceus research thread just found that the new signature moves for the cloud legendaries don't miss in rainstorms despite this not being stated in game, so it seems like it'll be worth looking into here as well in Rain (especially if the moves have their effects changed). Likewise, do they have their accuracy nerfed in Sun

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So according to a Japanese twitter account thats been testing Pokemon mechanics, Protosynthesis / Quark Drive actually boosts offenses / defenses by 1.3, while Speed is boosted by 1.5. Jibaku alerted me to this, so for breakfast this morning, I tested it out!

I used an Iron Treads with an Attack stat of 168 vs a Miraidon with a Defense stat of 117. Both were level 50 (thank you flat rules!)

67 (critical hit)

From these damage calculations, that twitter post seems to be correct. When Protosynthesis / Quark Drive boost Speed, its by 50%, but for ANY other stat, its 30%.

I apologize greatly for messing this up, I never expected it to boost stats by different amounts!

Special thanks to Deadite , my brother, for letting me borrow his game! I should be able to test more stuff later much more easily!

EDIT: Just in case, did some testing with Booster Energy too. This time, Iron Treads with Attack of 168 vs an Iron Moth with a Defense stat of 67! All at level 50 of course!

I know only 4 tests, but this is clearly not a 1.5x boost either. pretty safe to say Booster Energy does the same boosts imo.

Last edited:
This is big for Annihilape's competitive viability if true.
I also have the following question about rage fist: does it gain a stack if the user is immune to the attacking move? Spinblocking comes to mind.
Edit: while I'm at it, do Snowstorm's Def bonus apply to body press?
Didn't see a reply to this so I would like to know if Body press gets a BP boost for ice types under snowstorm? I noticed there was no boost on showdown, so would like confirmation from the game.

Band

scatters things often
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Hello, I have a question about Salt Cure. If Salt Cure is used against a Steel- or Water-type Pokemon and then said Pokemon terastallizes into a type other than Steel or Water, does the extra 25% damage still apply or does it do less damage?

Didn't see a reply to this so I would like to know if Body press gets a BP boost for ice types under snowstorm? I noticed there was no boost on showdown, so would like confirmation from the game.
The only thing that differs between Body Press and regular physical attacks is that it uses the user's Defense stat from its stats screen and its actual stat stage Defense boosts instead of the ones for attack, for any boosts that don't actually increase stat stages it uses the ones for Attack not Defense.

It basically functions the same as Foul Play but with the user's Defense stat and stat stages instead of the opponent's Attack stat and stat stages.

So according to a Japanese twitter account thats been testing Pokemon mechanics, Protosynthesis / Quark Drive actually boosts offenses / defenses by 1.3, while Speed is boosted by 1.5. Jibaku alerted me to this, so for breakfast this morning, I tested it out!

I used an Iron Treads with an Attack stat of 168 vs a Miraidon with a Defense stat of 117. Both were level 50 (thank you flat rules!)

67 (critical hit)

From these damage calculations, that twitter post seems to be correct. When Protosynthesis / Quark Drive boost Speed, its by 50%, but for ANY other stat, its 30%.

I apologize greatly for messing this up, I never expected it to boost stats by different amounts!

Special thanks to Deadite , my brother, for letting me borrow his game! I should be able to test more stuff later much more easily!

EDIT: Just in case, did some testing with Booster Energy too. This time, Iron Treads with Attack of 168 vs an Iron Moth with a Defense stat of 67! All at level 50 of course!

I know only 4 tests, but this is clearly not a 1.5x boost either. pretty safe to say Booster Energy does the same boosts imo.
Does this sort of thing apply to the Box Legendaries as well or are they proper +1 boosts?

Is it appropriate to make research requests? Can someone test out how Supreme Overlord on Kingambit actually works? Pre-release, people playing the game said it worked by increasing attack by 20% after the first teammate went down, and 10% with each teammate that goes down after. In Showdown it just increases your damage by 10% for each teammate that went down.

I guess my question is... What's the truth?

DarkFE

Heal Bells ringing
is a Pokemon Researcher
Hey, looking for some help to figure out the protective mechanics of Punching Glove. In particular, I'd like to know how Punching Glove behaves in the following situations, as it would help confirm whether the mechanic is similar to Protective Pads:

1. Does a Punching Glove user get poisoned when using a punching move against Baneful Bunker?
2. Does a Punching Glove user lose the item when using a punching move against a pokemon with Pick Pocket?

Help is very much appreciated, thanks in advance :)
Hi. I've just tested this in-game. When using a punching move, a Pokemon holding Punching Glove does not get poisoned by attacking into Baneful Bunker, and does not lose its item when it hits a Pokemon with the Pickpocket Ability.

67 (critical hit)

If you want to check the magnitude of stat changes that can possibly affect the Attack stat (including stuff like Tablets of Ruin), the easiest way is to use Strength Sap. Drifblim gets this now, so you can have it missing a huge amount of HP, use Strength Sap, and simply read out the raw number of HP gained, guaranteed in a single trial with no need to check damage calcs for values that could make sense.

is it a known thing that quark drive/protosynthesis boost the stat that is the highest after taking stat drops (like intimidate) and boosts into calculation ?
i was doing my iono rematch and sent out my iron hands out onto electric surge and was expecting an attack boost . i came out into her intimidate luxray, got intimidated and then my defense was boosted by quark drive instead. i swap out , sendout my iron hands again and it gets an attack boost instead since its not dropped by the intimidate. I got a video of both instances as well as a screenshot of my hariyamas stats to share if this isnt confirmed info

edit: posting vids from my switch showing it
first instance where def rose despite attack stat being higher. you can see my iron hands's stats at the end of this one as i check the summary
second time i sentit in where atk rose instead

Last edited:

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
Is it known whether Electromorphosis activates from confusion damage? Confusion damage counts as a direct attack according to Magic Guard and Disguise, but not according to Sand Spit (I think). What does Electromorphosis treat it as?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)