Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
Low key, imagine, once a year, The OU Rumble, a tournament where the winner gets a title shot against Finch for the OU World Champion title at OUmania, where friends, enemys, stables, heros and villains arrive, even the own mods join to get the title, this also means we now need to make finch a title belt, a gold belt with the OU logo at the center

man, imagine all the money

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
Only if you beat me in a battle
If you don’t actually commit to this I will be incredibly disappointed.
Low key, imagine, once a year, The OU Rumble, a tournament where the winner gets a title shot against Finch for the OU World Champion title at OUmania, where friends, enemys, stables, heros and villains arrive, even the own mods join to get the title, this also means we now need to make finch a title belt, a gold belt with the OU logo at the center

man, imagine all the money
I mean this completely unironically, this should be a thing. Imagine the content that would come from this. It would be glorious.

There is a chance gholdengo will not need to be banned after cinderace gets released on the game.
Its signature move court change seems more reliable than maushold's tidy up.
And maushold doesn't see any play any more
(I wonder if garchomp is to blame for that).
Now that libero got nerfed it will be hard to justify a reason to ban it cinderace.

Milo

I'm Your Man
is a Community Contributor
There is a chance gholdengo will not need to be banned after cinderace gets released on the game.
Its signature move court change seems more reliable than maushold's tidy up.
And maushold doesn't see any play any more
(I wonder if garchomp is to blame for that).
Now that libero got nerfed it will be hard to justify a reason to ban it cinderace.
Court Change in SS was rather niche during Cinderace's time in OU. The whole idea is that Cinderace was a pivot who would give great STAB hits, with great coverage and high base power moves. On top of this, it was immune to hazards because of boots. To use Court Change, Cinderace needed to have a free turn in which the opponent was likely to switch, which is why it was better if with 4a.

However, the argument of balancing Gholdengo with the reappearance of Cinderace is invalid whilst Tera is legal. Not to mention that without tera, it is still a situational win for either side, has Libero activated already, and regardless, Sucker Punch doesn't OHKO scarf Gholdengo and once Cinderace has changed type to anything But Fire, Make It Rain is doing like 73% minimum, allowing it to revenge kill Cinderace.

E: My point on Court Change was about SS. My opinion on SV is that on paper, it seems like the same plays need to be made to reliably use Court Change, however the payoff will be worth it due to hazard stack teams with Pokémon such as Glimmora.

Last edited:
Court Change in SS was rather niche during Cinderace's time in OU. The whole idea is that Cinderace was a pivot who would give great STAB hits, with great coverage and high base power moves. On top of this, it was immune to hazards because of boots. To use Court Change, Cinderace needed to have a free turn in which the opponent was likely to switch, which is why it was better if with 4a.

However, the argument of balancing Gholdengo with the reappearance of Cinderace is invalid whilst Tera is legal. Not to mention that without tera, it is still a situational win for either side, has Libero activated already, and regardless, Sucker Punch doesn't OHKO scarf Gholdengo and once Cinderace has changed type to anything But Fire, Make It Rain is doing like 73% minimum, allowing it to revenge kill Cinderace.
I disagree. In a meta so obsessed with hazard spam thanks to gholdengo, cinderace could very realistically run court change to thwart that game plan, making this playstyle relying on gholdengo just overall less good. Gholdengo isn't broken thanks to its stats or movepool, although those are very good.

Question because I'm confused: Is there anything stopping the enemy team from just running their own Cinderace and getting into a court change war? Or is that just a bad idea?

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
Question because I'm confused: Is there anything stopping the enemy team from just running their own Cinderace and getting into a court change war? Or is that just a bad idea?
yup, you can do that, but one of them has to eat a HJK

252 Atk Libero Cinderace High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Cinderace: 249-294 (82.7 - 97.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

pyro ball 3KO, gunk shot 2Ko, zen 2KO

E: My point on Court Change was about SS. My opinion on SV is that on paper, it seems like the same plays need to be made to reliably use Court Change, however the payoff will be worth it due to hazard stack teams with Pokémon such as Glimmora.
Part of what made Court Change niche was that on top of having other stuff to do, Hazard removal was significantly simpler in Gen 8 than Gen 9 pre-Home is both due to quantity of users and not having something like Gholdengo to block (not just discourage, outright stop) Defog. The hyper offensive nature of the current meta also makes Court Change particularly dangerous because it outright reverses momentum that laying those Hazards (and screens) in the Cinderace's favor, which could be a death sentence with that much extra damage on their side for Priority Pick-off.

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
I mean this completely unironically, this should be a thing. Imagine the content that would come from this. It would be glorious.
Okay but imagine this scenario of 2 comentators talking in the big finals of a tournament

HE IS IN HE IS IN
HE GOT IT
THE +2 CALM MIND + CHOICE SPECS STRAT PAID OFF
HE CONNECTS THE BLIZZARD IN SUN AND WITH THE ACCUARACY DROP
IT CRITED
THE PEX IS DEAD, I REPEAT THE PEX IS DEAD
HE DID IT, GLACEON WINS IT ALL
PLAYER J JUST BEAT FINCHINATOR FOR THE OU WORLD TITLE THANKS TO GLACEON
I CANT BELIVE IT
WHAT A GODDAMM FIGHT TO THE DEATH TO FINISH OUMANIA

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
So I have a dilemma so I'm using Clodsire and Air-Balloon Gholdengo will always switch in as I'm setting up Spikes

Set- (SpD minded)
Spikes
Toxic > Heavy Slam (Switched to hit Gholdengo on switch-ins and Fairies)
EQ
Recover

So cool I've been using Heavy Slam and it's been okay but Toxic is so important to a Balanced team since nothing has Aromatherapy / Heal Bell anymore and now it opens me up a lot more to things like Skeledirge which now I can't touch 1 v 1. Might switch back, still contemplating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)