Smogon Premier League XIV - Commencement Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
GSC current state: No ziloXX, or Chiles, or vani, or Daniel, or coco, or Nael, or Rubyblood, no Estarossa or airfare despite good performances all year long, only 3k for D4 and Siatam...

Bro SPL sucks, people can't earn its place, the only thing that matters is to be popular.

Last edited:

Conflict

is the 9th Smogon Classic Winneris a Three-Time Past SPL Championis the defending GSC Circuit Champion
World Defender
GSC current state: No ziloXX, or Chiles, or vani, or Daniel, or coco, or Nael, or Rubyblood, no Estarossa or airfare despite good performances all year long, only 3k for D4 and Siatam...

Bro SPL sucks, people can't earn its place, the only thing that matters is to be popular.
wait i even forgot about hellpowna in my post, my b.

couple of those shouldve definitely started tho....

complain about gsc pool into not drafting the better half of it: ???

teal6

is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
To whom it may concern:

I have the memory of a goldfish, but I have been reliably informed that there will be shirts/hoodies available for the SPL teams again this year. I can't find my Sharks hoodie after I moved so I really want to buy another one, however, it is astonishingly unlikely that I remember this enough to catch it before they become unavailable. As such, I am requesting that someone, anyone, with a shred of fondness in their hearts for me to PM me or tag me upon the availability being made public, such that I can purchase a new one (although it'll be a Cryos one, despite still feeling affectionate for the Sharks)

Ganbarre and goodnight -motp

wait i even forgot about hellpowna in my post, my b.

couple of those shouldve definitely started tho....

complain about gsc pool into not drafting the better half of it: ???
Fair enough, what I'm appointing is the little value given to both good performances and merit acquired in a whole playing year, in particular for GSC. Man, the pool was called "shite" during all signups period! It was certainly interesting, with both proven and hardworking players who totally deserved for a chance, but this tier has just constantly been ignored and underrated, just a "pick someone who can fill it" and that sucks.

Half of the starters we'll have this year costed less than 5k. Lots of top flight players weren't even nominated. At least three teams doesn't even have a mainer/expect to fill that spot with rusty veterans or casual players. Smogon Premier League is supposed to be a tour with the best of the best, everyone wants high quality games and we the GSC enjoyers aren't an exception. Also general tiering discussion depends a lot on this tour's perception of the game.

Of course I'm complaining, dude.

Last edited:
rusty veterans
What is a rusty veteran? It is clear that TLTK is expressing their annoyance over a situation regarding the GSC players who will be participating in this edition of SPL. However, I'm curious about the concept of "rusty veteran" used by TLTK, would someone be so kind as to define that concept so that I can fully understand TLTK's post?

What is a rusty veteran? It is clear that TLTK is expressing their annoyance over a situation regarding the GSC players who will be participating in this edition of SPL. However, I'm curious about the concept of "rusty veteran" used by TLTK, would someone be so kind as to define that concept so that I can fully understand TLTK's post?
"Viejo oxidado".

Rubyblood

Obluda, kierá nemá své jméno
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
World Defender

Everyone knows, the spl has always had unexplainable picks like the nice girls who don't even play in the tiers that are available or even for lack of level, there are some players with less merit by being inactive all the year and who will be mediocre every year. But the spl is being a difficult tournament and are highly elitist with obviously the friendly feelings of those who choose theirs teams. We have to accept that it's like this every year,
spl is more fun with friends anyway.

All those who were mentioned by you including myself maybe deserved a shot over some guys but it doesn't matter since it's up to each of us to show more of our level and to be surrounded with good people and not fakes friends presence only there when you show good performances in official tournaments. Which unfortunately happens to many players and I have had the experience. It's mandatory to perform regularly in official tournaments in the tiers that you decide to join.

See you in the future tournaments , I'll be back.

Everyone knows, the spl has always had unexplainable picks like the nice girls who don't even play in the tiers that are available or even for lack of level, there are some players with less merit by being inactive all the year and who will be mediocre every year. But the spl is being a difficult tournament and are highly elitist with obviously the friendly feelings of those who choose theirs teams. We have to accept that it's like this every year,
spl is more fun with friends anyway.

All those who were mentioned by you including myself maybe deserved a shot over some guys but it doesn't matter since it's up to each of us to show more of our level and to be surrounded with good people and not fakes friends presence only there when you show good performances in official tournaments. Which unfortunately happens to many players and I have had the experience. It's mandatory to perform regularly in official tournaments in the tiers that you decide to join.

See you in the future tournaments , I'll be back.
champion mentality

I'm just as sorry as you about certain people not getting drafted but it is what it is. Honestly though, I can't complain IF they will use players I think they will. It's most likely not as bad as you think. What bothers me about tours like these though is that there's always that chance that they have to sub out the GSC main over for "MelindaMcGee82" or "DevilButtFart" but the f*ck are we supposed to do? Just sit back and watch I guess... or not like I do anyways.

Dave

formerly Stone Cold
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
Getting drafted is not a rigorous process. In fact, many managers have the bare minimum requirement of you being a cool/nice user.

However, if you're 1) a new user trying to break into the tour scene or 2) a vet of the metagame who hasn't been picked up, you must be willing to go slightly beyond the bare minimum requirement of being knowledgeable about the metagame. What case have you made for yourself?

Did you reach out to the managers? Did you join any relevant discords where you can engage with the managers? Did you try to develop any type of relationship outside of the mere "here's my replays, draft me".

There's a social divide where newer users don't want to be a bother, so they abstain from messaging managers or they fail to be interesting/catch the managers eye. Meanwhile, managers who don't take the risk on newer talent / established talent most likely stick with their friend group because they aren't unknown entities.

At the end of the day, it's the managers decision to build the team they want to build and they shouldn't be shamed for not drafting a specific user. And yes, there are users who probably deserve an opportunity over some individuals who got drafted, but maybe this post can be a cue for them to be more vocal in the future and try to develop relationships with these managers so that they can have a future opportunity.

Offering your services to teams as a helper is a great place to start. The work you put in for free might be thankless at times, but it could certainly lead to great opportunity down the road.

Its a bit more mature to just actually break through some tournaments or communities as whole, over ashaming anyone that got picked over you, the tournament or the managers. The tournament is not about being inclusive, its about gathering the best group you can into a team + adding the people a manager trusts the most (its relevant in a team atmosphere) to finish up the remaining spots.

So like, basically, idk how to say "get better at the game" or "win more to be recognized" without sounding kind of elitist, but its as simple and as direct as it is. I only joined my first tournament after going far in individual (also relevant) tournaments, even after being around for like two years, so i know how it is to not get the opportunity at all, but i know what it takes to be there, so its not too hard boys. Not being complete assholes or bigots publicly will, as well, be relevant usually, specially to fill in the second group of "im in the tournament cause people like and trust me". :heart:

Hi, I'm an SPL manager and there's a player who just called some of my best friends in all of Smogon "rusty old men" I like it! I'm taking my best friend off this year's roster and securing him a spot on the Stark Sharks. TLTK, welcome aboard!

We get the argument... don't we, TLTK?

Hi, I'm an SPL manager and there's a player who just called some of my best friends in all of Smogon "rusty old men" I like it! I'm taking my best friend off this year's roster and securing him a spot on the Stark Sharks. TLTK, welcome aboard!

We get the argument... don't we, TLTK?
I never mentioned myself as an alternative. Reading comprehension is an important skill in life and you should work hard on get better at it. Or you just lost the plot, idk dude.

Getting drafted is not a rigorous process. In fact, many managers have the bare minimum requirement of you being a cool/nice user.

However, if you're 1) a new user trying to break into the tour scene or 2) a vet of the metagame who hasn't been picked up, you must be willing to go slightly beyond the bare minimum requirement of being knowledgeable about the metagame. What case have you made for yourself?

Did you reach out to the managers? Did you join any relevant discords where you can engage with the managers? Did you try to develop any type of relationship outside of the mere "here's my replays, draft me".

There's a social divide where newer users don't want to be a bother, so they abstain from messaging managers or they fail to be interesting/catch the managers eye. Meanwhile, managers who don't take the risk on newer talent / established talent most likely stick with their friend group because they aren't unknown entities.

At the end of the day, it's the managers decision to build the team they want to build and they shouldn't be shamed for not drafting a specific user. And yes, there are users who probably deserve an opportunity over some individuals who got drafted, but maybe this post can be a cue for them to be more vocal in the future and try to develop relationships with these managers so that they can have a future opportunity.

Offering your services to teams as a helper is a great place to start. The work you put in for free might be thankless at times, but it could certainly lead to great opportunity down the road.
Right, you just gave me the reason on what I'm saying. So basically, rather than being good at the game and earn the right to play the most important tour in the Smogon community, being drafted at SPL is a matter of being "nice and charming and well related to anothers and a cool guy" with all that it implies. Cultural, language, even personality and behaviour barriers are not as easy to sort for everyone, man. Saying that in your status of former SPL manager just proves this tournament brims with elitism and is more convenient for you to be a cool American kid so you get drafted, why wasting time on farming results when you can born murican? LOL

(just to be clear, again: I'm not actually complaining about myself, I have some friends here and there, I reached most managers and tried to show myself as an alternative, but as much as I know even I have more skill and merit to make it into SPL that some others, I also know my year wasn't the best in terms of competition and probably some others deserved much more than me).

Its a bit more mature to just actually break through some tournaments or communities as whole, over ashaming anyone that got picked over you, the tournament or the managers. The tournament is not about being inclusive, its about gathering the best group you can into a team + adding the people a manager trusts the most (its relevant in a team atmosphere) to finish up the remaining spots.

So like, basically, idk how to say "get better at the game" or "win more to be recognized" without sounding kind of elitist, but its as simple and as direct as it is. I only joined my first tournament after going far in individual (also relevant) tournaments, even after being around for like two years, so i know how it is to not get the opportunity at all, but i know what it takes to be there, so its not too hard boys. Not being complete assholes or bigots publicly will, as well, be relevant usually, specially to fill in the second group of "im in the tournament cause people like and trust me". :heart:
Wasn't expecting much more from you tho. But yeah Gama, it sounds elitist and it also proves that your "SPL team atmosphere" doesn't respect the playerbase and its achievements. The GSC players I suggested before are well-known, high-skilled and proven players who basically have made enough merit to being at least taken into consideration. But well, managers don't give a f*ck about GSC and that's just what I was complaining about, nothing more.

What is the definition of nice, according to you?

I have "at least" minimal knowledge about every tier I listed , in fact, this year instead of qualifying for only smogon tour and OLT playoffs, I will qualify for the smogon classic playoffs as well as smogon tour playoffs. Without getting any kind of support as well.

I reached out the managers, albeit I am not in any relevant discord as so they are not public to everybody. I haven't tried to go in any relation with the managers, just asked some of them if they could draft me beacuse there is no guideline on how to get drafted.

If you only stick to your friends you don't give new opportunities to other people.

I offered some team managers help but I didn't ended up getting drafted.

As some people who may read this know, I have qualified for various official playoffs in this forum, even tho I haven't managed to win a single game, besides in my first playoffs ever, It is beacuse I just don't have support to bear playoffs and I had ended up bringing suboptimal stuff for the majority of cases as I don't have many acquaintances that have break up in the scene and some false friends just ended up putting me in the rubbish bin.

And yes, I offered my services to managers, as every single team besides literally one or two I use to manage to qualify for tournaments are handcrafted by myself. (I build teams)

And not to mention, some managers haven't even bother responding my pms, (I know I was told that it's tough to respond every single pm, especially this being just a hobby but like come on) but it's ok, I can comprenhend that.

I will try pushing my limits even further this year to see if there is a next year.

Congratulations to everyone who got drafted. Have fun!

Last edited:

Heroic Troller

Through the Sea of Time
is a Tiering Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
World Defender
What is the definition of nice, according to you?

I have "at least" minimal knowledge about every tier I listed , in fact, this year instead of qualifying for only smogon tour and OLT playoffs, I will qualify for the smogon classic playoffs as well as smogon tour playoffs. Without getting any kind of support as well.

I reached out the managers, albeit I am not in any relevant discord as so they are not public to everybody. I haven't tried to go in any relation with the managers, just asked some of them if they could draft me beacuse there is no guideline on how to get drafted.

If you only stick to your friends you don't give new opportunities to other people.

I offered some team managers help but I didn't ended up getting drafted.

As some people who may read this know, I have qualified for various official playoffs in this forum, even tho I haven't managed to win a single game, besides in my first playoffs ever, It is beacuse I just don't have support to bear playoffs and I had ended up bringing suboptimal stuff for the majority of cases as I don't have many acquaintances that have break up in the scene and some false friends just ended up putting me in the rubbish bin.

And yes, I offered my services to managers, as every single team besides literally one or two I use to manage to qualify for tournaments are handcrafted by myself. (I build teams)

And not to mention, some managers haven't even bother responding my pms, (I know I was told that it's tough to respond every single pm, especially this being just a hobby but like come on) but it's ok, I can comprenhend that.

I will try pushing my limits even further this year to see if there is a next year.

Congratulations to everyone who got drafted. Have fun!
It's the nature of this tournament, there is nothing wrong in wanting the best environment (through bias and friends) as priority, it's game afterall and having fun comes first. My first spl as a player was spent watching my team mate Lusch go 1-5 from bench despite coming off very dominant tournaments and being universally agreed to be in the upper half of the pool. Meanwhile he kept the spot out of pure clout because by his own admission he wasn't in great shape. All that while other teams liked more having the Badabing kind of players because lol rby meme period.
Where i'm getting at Egalvanc (and everyone who feels the same) is that there are just two choices, get more friends (especially managers, of course). If you feel it's a shame people didn't at least pay 3k for you, get better to the point 5k would be a steal and you will be drafted. If you are consistent people won't be able to sleep on you eternally. You can get upset about the flawed system and waste time or be productive and improve your chances for next year

It's the nature of this tournament, there is nothing wrong in wanting the best environment (through bias and friends) as priority, it's game afterall and having fun comes first. My first spl as a player was spent watching my team mate Lusch go 1-5 from bench despite coming off very dominant tournaments and being universally agreed to be in the upper half of the pool. Meanwhile he kept the spot out of pure clout because by his own admission he wasn't in great shape. All that while other teams liked more having the Badabing kind of players because lol rby meme period.
Where i'm getting at Egalvanc (and everyone who feels the same) is that there are just two choices, get more friends (especially managers, of course). If you feel it's a shame people didn't at least pay 3k for you, get better to the point 5k would be a steal and you will be drafted. If you are consistent people won't be able to sleep on you eternally. You can get upset about the flawed system and waste time or be productive and improve your chances for next year
Do you want to be my friend then?

Dave

formerly Stone Cold
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
Right, you just gave me the reason on what I'm saying. So basically, rather than being good at the game and earn the right to play the most important tour in the Smogon community, being drafted at SPL is a matter of being "nice and charming and well related to anothers and a cool guy" with all that it implies. Cultural, language, even personality and behaviour barriers are not as easy to sort for everyone, man. Saying that in your status of former SPL manager just proves this tournament brims with elitism and is more convenient for you to be a cool American kid so you get drafted, why wasting time on farming results when you can born murican? LOL

(just to be clear, again: I'm not actually complaining about myself, I have some friends here and there, I reached most managers and tried to show myself as an alternative, but as much as I know even I have more skill and merit to make it into SPL that some others, I also know my year wasn't the best in terms of competition and probably some others deserved much more than me).

Wasn't expecting much more from you tho. But yeah Gama, it sounds elitist and it also proves that your "SPL team atmosphere" doesn't respect the playerbase and its achievements. The GSC players I suggested before are well-known, high-skilled and proven players who basically have made enough merit to being at least taken into consideration. But well, managers don't give a f*ck about GSC and that's just what I was complaining about, nothing more.
Of course this website is elitist, its comprised of a bunch of 20 year olds who want to hang with their friends. Whether you like it or not, there's going to be bias. But I think what you're also missing is the difficulty to pull the trigger on new talent as a manager.

It's incredibly difficult to pull a positive record as a first year in SPL. Two things usually happen. 1) The newer user starts off hot getting a few wins, and then their scouting information and trends get figured out and they end with a negative record or 2) The newer user either loses early, or gets nerves and doesn't recover.

Because of this, the manager has to either take a major risk or they have to draft a plan B who also might not work out.

Being good and dishing out results in ROAPL, Winter Seasonal, Classic Cups, etc is completely different from being able to perform in SPL which is one of the highest pressure tournaments on the website.

My entire point isn't to praise elitism, but rather provide perspective and advice on what you can do to get a spot in future iterations. I know it's not "fair", and that there is some great talent that got missed out on. But I want to provide insight and let you know what it'll take to get on a team in the future. Some people may feel it's worth it to take the step, and some may not and that's completely okay too.

Amaranth

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
UPL Champion
I'm a manager who loves to draft the fresh names, the cheap mainers. Every time I've managed I've given 2 or more of my starting slots to complete newcomers, plus more on bench, this year is no exception. I LOVE giving new players a chance and it's beautiful when I place my trust in them and they deliver.

At the same time, fresh off my debut SPL season I got my ass kicked by SoulWind in RBY Cup. BIHI beat Troller in a tiebreaker. Great players are great players, and they don't need to play your tier all year to be better than you at it. They just need a short bit of time to get used to the tier's quirks. You need to prove that you are on that level if you want to get the managers' attention.
I don't agree with all the draft decisions made by other managers, but I understand (most of) them. And I'm not surprised that a ton of solid but not outstanding players went undrafted.

My advice to all newcomers who are upset that they've not made it, ahead of the next tournament that you really want to get into, is to remember this unhappiness. Remember this deep burning feeling that is the source of your posts, and do something productive with it. Grind your tier every day, if ladder doesn't do it for you find a practice partner. Analyze every win and every loss, improve your understanding of the game. Make it your only goal to become undisputably better than the people who've gotten in ahead of you. Stop pouring frustration into this thread, and redirect it towards the true reason why you're not in an SPL team: yourself. Get better. Maybe you're already pretty good, maybe you made playoffs of some official tour here and there - clearly it's not enough. Get. Better.

When I decide to pick an unproven player, I look for one profile above all: people who enjoy getting better and are confident that they can do it. They believe they're better players than the ones who get drafted, but they don't spend their energy making forum posts about it. They direct that energy towards improving until it's undeniable that they are. And then they get drafted.

Niko was a huge grinder, Serpi still is (and look where that got him). snofall quietly does his thing in DPP and is solely focused on playing his best. Danny and pokemonisfun are genuine enthusiasts of the game and love the process of analysis and self-improvement, too. I put my trust in all of them, and it paid off every time. I've had some occasional bad buys too, and those came when I didn't run the appropriate background checks on the players' personalities before buying.

So, specifically to this point:
So basically, rather than being good at the game and earn the right to play the most important tour in the Smogon community, being drafted at SPL is a matter of being "nice and charming and well related to anothers and a cool guy" with all that it implies. Cultural, language, even personality and behaviour barriers are not as easy to sort for everyone, man. Saying that in your status of former SPL manager just proves this tournament brims with elitism and is more convenient for you to be a cool American kid so you get drafted, why wasting time on farming results when you can born murican? LOL
In SPL XII, I bought Serpi and Louna for my RBY slot. They were both fresh off great years in circuits, IIRC they were finalists against each other for the ribbon. Louna basically cancered while Serpi, well, everyone knows about him now.
It illustrates the issue with drafting players that you don't know on a human level. They had very similar results, if you only looked at the circuit they looked very close. But two years later, one was bought for almost 20k, and the other one is either unknown or known for being a team cancer.
This is why managers care about getting to know people before drafting them. It's not because they want to play with "charming" "cool guys", or with "Americans", it's because managers need to be able to trust that the person they're picking up is going to be a Serpi and not a Louna.

You don't even need to establish personal connections to the managers to do this. I had never spoken to pokemonisfun before looking him up for SCL II and seeing how committed he was to self improvement, through his forum posts and through the fact he's built an entire discord community focused on exactly that. I had never spoken to Danny before looking him up in various forum PLs and seeing plenty of people shout him out for all sorts of great character traits at end of tour; I also saw that he played a genuine fuckton of pokémon all the time across many tiers and players of that kind usually learn to play pretty quick.

If your skill and your character are SPL quality, you will get there. 100%. No need to make forum posts about it. Have a nice day

I'm a manager who loves to draft the fresh names, the cheap mainers. Every time I've managed I've given 2 or more of my starting slots to complete newcomers, plus more on bench, this year is no exception. I LOVE giving new players a chance and it's beautiful when I place my trust in them and they deliver.

At the same time, fresh off my debut SPL season I got my ass kicked by SoulWind in RBY Cup. BIHI beat Troller in a tiebreaker. Great players are great players, and they don't need to play your tier all year to be better than you at it. They just need a short bit of time to get used to the tier's quirks. You need to prove that you are on that level if you want to get the managers' attention.
I don't agree with all the draft decisions made by other managers, but I understand (most of) them. And I'm not surprised that a ton of solid but not outstanding players went undrafted.

My advice to all newcomers who are upset that they've not made it, ahead of the next tournament that you really want to get into, is to remember this unhappiness. Remember this deep burning feeling that is the source of your posts, and do something productive with it. Grind your tier every day, if ladder doesn't do it for you find a practice partner. Analyze every win and every loss, improve your understanding of the game. Make it your only goal to become undisputably better than the people who've gotten in ahead of you. Stop pouring frustration into this thread, and redirect it towards the true reason why you're not in an SPL team: yourself. Get better. Maybe you're already pretty good, maybe you made playoffs of some official tour here and there - clearly it's not enough. Get. Better.

When I decide to pick an unproven player, I look for one profile above all: people who enjoy getting better and are confident that they can do it. They believe they're better players than the ones who get drafted, but they don't spend their energy making forum posts about it. They direct that energy towards improving until it's undeniable that they are. And then they get drafted.

Niko was a huge grinder, Serpi still is (and look where that got him). snofall quietly does his thing in DPP and is solely focused on playing his best. Danny and pokemonisfun are genuine enthusiasts of the game and love the process of analysis and self-improvement, too. I put my trust in all of them, and it paid off every time. I've had some occasional bad buys too, and those came when I didn't run the appropriate background checks on the players' personalities before buying.

So, specifically to this point:

In SPL XII, I bought Serpi and Louna for my RBY slot. They were both fresh off great years in circuits, IIRC they were finalists against each other for the ribbon. Louna basically cancered while Serpi, well, everyone knows about him now.
It illustrates the issue with drafting players that you don't know on a human level. They had very similar results, if you only looked at the circuit they looked very close. But two years later, one was bought for almost 20k, and the other one is either unknown or known for being a team cancer.
This is why managers care about getting to know people before drafting them. It's not because they want to play with "charming" "cool guys", or with "Americans", it's because managers need to be able to trust that the person they're picking up is going to be a Serpi and not a Louna.

You don't even need to establish personal connections to the managers to do this. I had never spoken to pokemonisfun before looking him up for SCL II and seeing how committed he was to self improvement, through his forum posts and through the fact he's built an entire discord community focused on exactly that. I had never spoken to Danny before looking him up in various forum PLs and seeing plenty of people shout him out for all sorts of great character traits at end of tour; I also saw that he played a genuine fuckton of pokémon all the time across many tiers and players of that kind usually learn to play pretty quick.

If your skill and your character are SPL quality, you will get there. 100%. No need to make forum posts about it. Have a nice day
472255D6-F235-4C11-A51E-84536BEF95EB.jpeg

did this player fit your profile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)