Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v4 [NEW TIERING SURVEY UP]

When people don’t know how to close the tab and play a different game
dawg this meta has been unfun since home dropped. I stop playing quite frequently but the experience never changes because the qualified playerbase didn't make the correct decisions early on in the generation and now we have to deal with the consequences. at least sneasler wasn't unbanned at the start of DLC2

What have you all been trying out during the suspect? I saw primarina got used quite a bit during SPL and it was on a team that pretty soundly best rain, it was a grassy seed calm mind prima with liquid voice psychic noise iirc. If anyone has that team I'd appreciate it, it's got like supercell slam tusk on it. But yeah back on track, primarina was used quite a lot during SPL and I was just wondering if anyone had any reccomendations for how to run it most effectively because I think it's a really fun mon

As much as I enjoy tera as a mechanic, I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that it's not healthy. I'm not at the stage where an outright ban is what I want, but I wouldn't be so beat up over losing it if it meant the tier became fun again
Losing is part of the game but it’s time to put it down and get some fresh air. You need to lose to whatever you mentioned above the same way 50+ times before a controversial topic can begin. If a Gouging Fire smacked you with Outrage one time and you lost, I wouldn’t complain about it. Sounds like bad luck.

Losing is part of the game but it’s time to put it down and get some fresh air. You need to lose to whatever you mentioned above the same way 50+ times before a controversial topic can begin. If a Gouging Fire smacked you with Outrage one time and you lost, I wouldn’t complain about it. Sounds like bad luck.
I routinely lose games because X setup threat (kingambit raging bolt gouging fire archaludon roaring moon volcarona boulder darkrai) teras into Y type to resist my revenge killer and then sweep. There is no counterplay besides getting lucky with their tera for your counter and predicting their tera correctly. It's not fun and it's not competitive. This isn't 1 out of 50 games, it's more like 20 out of 50 games. I hate this godforsaken mechanic with a passion.

dawg this meta has been unfun since home dropped. I stop playing quite frequently but the experience never changes because the qualified playerbase didn't make the correct decisions early on in the generation and now we have to deal with the consequences. at least sneasler wasn't unbanned at the start of DLC2
I just don’t understand why you’re playing and interacting with stuff that isn’t fun to you. I don’t like this meta much either which is why I’m just watching from the outside and playing other stuff. If you think there needs to be 30 more bans for the meta to be fun for you, I’d just move on and do something else. They’re never going to ban the amount of things you want and they’re never going to ban tera (which is why I don’t enjoy this gen too much), and that’s fine. You don’t have to enjoy every meta but spending all your energy on something you hate is so weird to me

As much as I enjoy tera as a mechanic, I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that it's not healthy. I'm not at the stage where an outright ban is what I want, but I wouldn't be so beat up over losing it if it meant the tier became fun again
Welcome to the dark side my friend. Tera may be “fun” but it has never been healthy for the game. If anything, Tera makes the tier even more centralized around the best Tera abusers and their checks. Look how dead the “niche heat” thread has been this Gen.

Welcome to the dark side my friend. Tera may be “fun” but it has never been healthy for the game. If anything, Tera makes the tier even more centralized around the best Tera abusers and their checks. Look how dead the “niche heat” thread has been this Gen.
I agree. There is less room for creativity in a Tera meta 'cause Tera makes the top threats harder to check, which limits the number of viable options. I personally do not find Tera fun although I can live with it if there are many, many bans. We need to kick Archaludon out of the tier ASAP as it's a really dumb and restricting mon. I've already accepted that there will not be a second Tera suspect this gen.

I've come to the conclusion that 30 bans is too little. In no particluar order, the following pokemon are a bit problematic at best and need to go asap at worst: kingambit, gholdengo, roaring moon, raging bolt, volcarona, archaludon, iron valiant, gouging fire, iron boulder, gliscor, deoxys-speed, waterpon, and zamazenta. Note that some of these hinge entirely on other things being banned but I genuinely think that excising the tier and starting from scratch after a nuclear banning would benefit the tier greatly.
The Council was insane when they brought up Kokoloko they said. The DLC metagame 2 is the most balanced we've ever been; bans are unneeded they said.

I don't have much of an opinion right now being a 13-1400 scrub but I think it's funny that we tend to see the Council bring shit up ahead of when it becomes relevant and it happens to become so. It's like they're the leaders for a reason or something. I think Sleep was handled the right way, but even still, it was a Council talking point before it became explored all ladder. Bloodmoon recieved historically low support from the playerbase on release when the Council wanted to nuke it, and now we see that there may in fact be a builder problem of too many overpowering threats in the tier at once to where Kokoloko becomes viable. That said, I really only see Arch, Kyurem, and Roaring Moon as immediate pls get out of my tier level threats.

The Council was insane when they brought up Kokoloko they said. The DLC metagame 2 is the most balanced we've ever been; bans are unneeded they said.

I don't have much of an opinion right now being a 13-1400 scrub but I think it's funny that we tend to see the Council bring shit up ahead of when it becomes relevant and it happens to become so. It's like they're the leaders for a reason or something. I think Sleep was handled the right way, but even still, it was a Council talking point before it became explored all ladder. Bloodmoon recieved historically low support from the playerbase on release when the Council wanted to nuke it, and now we see that there may in fact be a builder problem of too many overpowering threats in the tier at once to where Kokoloko becomes viable. That said, I really only see Arch, Kyurem, and Roaring Moon as immediate pls get out of my tier level threats.
Yeah those three are on my radar too, we all know if Archaludon and Roaring Moon go that Kyurem will only become harder to deal with and I am thinking Kyurem could get a second suspect

I've come to the conclusion that 30 bans is too little. In no particluar order, the following pokemon are a bit problematic at best and need to go asap at worst: kingambit, gholdengo, roaring moon, raging bolt, volcarona, archaludon, iron valiant, gouging fire, iron boulder, gliscor, deoxys-speed, waterpon, and zamazenta. Note that some of these hinge entirely on other things being banned but I genuinely think that excising the tier and starting from scratch after a nuclear banning would benefit the tier greatly.
Very curious if you or Eeveeto can go into detail on Iron Boulder needing to go bc I don't even think it'll be OU by usage within a few months, it has so many downsides, I cannot conceive it ever being broken. You've been very emphatic about Deo-S still in February and this confuses me as well

Very curious if you or Eeveeto can go into detail on Iron Boulder needing to go bc I don't even think it'll be OU by usage within a few months, it has so many downsides, I cannot conceive it ever being broken. You've been very emphatic about Deo-S still in February and this confuses me as well
try checking boulder without gholdengo, arch, gliscor, and zamazenta and then come back

try checking boulder without gholdengo, arch, gliscor, and zamazenta and then come back
I gave it a shot and turns out literally anything with priority does the job as does simply attacking it before it gets swords dance up, it often misses KOs even after SD since it doesn't get STAB on its actually strong moves with useful types and can't fit all the moves it wants

However I suppose if you remove every good Pokémon in a tier the mid ones do start being pretty good comparatively. If Yube here gets all his dream bans then Rilla, Hatterene, Pult, god knows what else becomes extremely broken

Skarmory, Corviknight, Rillaboom, Dondozo, Landorus-T, Bulky Serp, Sinistcha, Scizor and Barraskewda are a few
+2 252 Atk Tera Fighting Iron Boulder Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 160+ Def Skarmory: 223-264 (66.7 - 79%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (outdamages iron defense on switch-in)

+2 252 Atk Iron Boulder Mighty Cleave vs. 252 HP / 136+ Def Corviknight: 225-265 (56.2 - 66.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
136+ Def Corviknight Body Press vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Iron Boulder: 90-107 (28 - 33.3%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Rillaboom Grassy Glide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tera Fighting Iron Boulder in Grassy Terrain: 228-268 (71 - 83.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after 1 layer of Spikes and Grassy Terrain recovery
+2 252 Atk Tera Fighting Iron Boulder Mighty Cleave vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Rillaboom: 319-376 (93.5 - 110.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 Atk Tera Fighting Iron Boulder Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Serperior: 385-454 (108.7 - 128.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 SpA Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Iron Boulder: 206-246 (64.1 - 76.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252 Atk Tera Fighting Iron Boulder Mighty Cleave vs. 76 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 294-346 (98 - 115.3%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Tera Steel Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tera Fighting Iron Boulder: 260-306 (80.9 - 95.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

it's checked by all this stuff, in a non-tera metagame, with an asterick. At the very least it trades with a lot

oh and to raikoulover:
+4 252 Atk Tera Fighting Iron Boulder Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Great Tusk: 441-519 (101.6 - 119.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
4 Atk Great Tusk Headlong Rush vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tera Fighting Iron Boulder: 196-232 (61 - 72.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

have I mentioned that I dislike tera yet?

Is there any shot Gambit gets suspected again or is that water under the bridge at this point? It’s still so dominant. Ive even beat skarmory in end games if Skarm is chipped at all and tries to switch in on a SD. Obviously I would not be hopeful it would actually be banned.

Is there any shot Gambit gets suspected again or is that water under the bridge at this point? It’s still so dominant. Ive even beat skarmory in end games if Skarm is chipped at all and tries to switch in on a SD. Obviously I would not be hopeful it would actually be banned.
If you don't have a tusk, valiant, zamazenta, dondozo or skarmory, yeah it is pretty broken. Like I thought it was maybe alright but while I was getting requirements with my three grasses team which included gambit on it, my gambit has swept multiple games. There are probs other mons that check gambit, but you need to keep them at full health, and you can see why it is bs.

I gave it a shot and turns out literally anything with priority does the job as does simply attacking it before it gets swords dance up, it often misses KOs even after SD since it doesn't get STAB on its actually strong moves with useful types and can't fit all the moves it wants

However I suppose if you remove every good Pokémon in a tier the mid ones do start being pretty good comparatively. If Yube here gets all his dream bans then Rilla, Hatterene, Pult, god knows what else becomes extremely broken
Ban dragonite while you’re at it. Oh I got hit by extreme speed twice and I want it banned now. Oh please, save your drama and adapt. Otherwise, there is the new Princess Peach: Showtime! on the switch that you can purchase and play.

KamenOH

formerly DynamaxBestMeta
how do yall handle the nerves after a streak? gotta go without a loss for a dozen games, stress building up, very impressive to those who do make it

so, genuinely, what is the argument for keeping tera? i know, i know, its a generational mechanic and its fun to play with, so it makes sense the majority is not in favour of outright banning it, but that doesnt mean they think its healthy. i have seen many arguments on why tera is unhealthy and uncompetitive, and they all make sense to me, but the single argument ive seen for tera being healthy is "it helps deal with the broken threats of the current tier", which is a non-reason (broken checks broken, all that). i know most people are supportive of tera, and the council (probably) isnt gonna act on it without community support, but id like to at least know a valid, competitive-minded reason on how tera is healthy for the game.

Do yall use pivot moves or manual switching vs Arch? Finding that people seem to keep using voltturn and the like, thought wouldn't that just buff Body Press? If anyone can answer, thx.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 7, Guests: 15)