Little things you like about Pokémon

One thing I really appreciate about Pokemon nowdays is the lack of scummy monetization attempts in most of the main series entries. Having played quite a few gacha-games which have a similar hook to Pokemon (diverse cast of characters with a fair degree of customization options), most of these games end up being much more shallow, yet make the process of getting characters so much more tedious just to get players to open up their wallet. Meanwhile, the process of getting Pokemon you want is, generally speaking, much easier thanks to a combination of having infinite grass encounters, trading, and giveaways. Honestly, given that factors such as natures, IVs, and especially shininess, its surprising Gamefreak (mostly) hasn't attempted nickel and diming.

Might have mentioned this in an earlier post, but Wonder Trading is one of my favorite feature in modern Pokemon games. Sure, it gives trash like level 2 Yungoos or Zigzagoon 30-40% of the time, but it also gives you some pretty cool stuff, like Breedjects from different regions (great for the Masuda Method), random high level Pokemon for your in-game journey, and the obviously hacked, yet still pretty cool level 100 shinies. It sucks to use right when a new Pokemon game is released since the amount of new players trading trash tends to be much higher, but later on when the hype of the game has died down, wonder trading becomes pretty cool.

Extremely minor, but I think its pretty cool Gamefreak randomly gave Heatmor a signature move in Gen 7. I mean, I would have appreciated a typing change or significant stat boost to make it better, but a pretty cool signature move is fine enough I guess. The anteater is the mascott of my college, so its cool to the anteater Pokemon get something to make it stand it out, even Fire Lash it doesn't help it out all that much.

One thing I really appreciate about Pokemon nowdays is the lack of scummy monetization attempts in most of the main series entries. Having played quite a few gacha-games which have a similar hook to Pokemon (diverse cast of characters with a fair degree of customization options), most of these games end up being much more shallow, yet make the process of getting characters so much more tedious just to get players to open up their wallet. Meanwhile, the process of getting Pokemon you want is, generally speaking, much easier thanks to a combination of having infinite grass encounters, trading, and giveaways. Honestly, given that factors such as natures, IVs, and especially shininess, its surprising Gamefreak (mostly) hasn't attempted nickel and diming.

Might have mentioned this in an earlier post, but Wonder Trading is one of my favorite feature in modern Pokemon games. Sure, it gives trash like level 2 Yungoos or Zigzagoon 30-40% of the time, but it also gives you some pretty cool stuff, like Breedjects from different regions (great for the Masuda Method), random high level Pokemon for your in-game journey, and the obviously hacked, yet still pretty cool level 100 shinies. It sucks to use right when a new Pokemon game is released since the amount of new players trading trash tends to be much higher, but later on when the hype of the game has died down, wonder trading becomes pretty cool.

Extremely minor, but I think its pretty cool Gamefreak randomly gave Heatmor a signature move in Gen 7. I mean, I would have appreciated a typing change or significant stat boost to make it better, but a pretty cool signature move is fine enough I guess. The anteater is the mascott of my college, so its cool to the anteater Pokemon get something to make it stand it out, even Fire Lash it doesn't help it out all that much.
Well that's not entirely true. For the event Pokemon in Japan, such as the Crown Beasts, you can only get then via getting a ticket for M13, which costs $35. To be fair, Nintendo knows what it is appropriate and what is not appropriate when it comes to Gacha games and DLC. They gave Dragalia Lost a big backlash for taking advantage of the Gacha game format. There even the 9th most reputable company in the US. As for giveaways like those on Smogon, those most Pokemon are most likely clones, which is a form of hacking technically in GF eyes even if Smogon doesn't consider it.

I like Wonder Trading too, but they combined it with Festival Plaza, which was a bad decision because you need to connect every time you want to leave, which is why I don't do it as much as Gen 6. When I did it though in Gen 6, I got some cool stuff like Japanese Marill and Goodra which I used on my VGC team.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So, Pokemon Company decided to commission Yasuke Murata (the creator of "One Punch Man" and "Eyeshield 21") to draw them a dynamic Pokemon picture. What does that result in:

AWESOMENESS!!!

Not sure how Rosa and Brendan met up or got involved with battling an Ultra Necrozma, but at the same time I ain't complaining! The Japanese store is selling the drawing on several merchandise (who knows if any of the international stores will get it), but they also have a nearly two hour long video showing Mr. Murata drawing the image (plus several comic panels which I can't find a full image of but they have some merchandise with the comic panels on them):

BTW, here's the best image I could find of the comic panels, on a towel:

I like getting my Pokemon's hair done at the Goldenrod City barber shop. It makes me happy to see my favorite pokemon happy.

I can't find a way to out-right hate any pokemon, even if it's design is terrible *cough* klefki *cough* or i hate it in the anime *cough* mime jr. *cough* because i always find fun out of any pokemon because they all are fun to use in battle or i have a good history with them in randomized battles.

I really like mega ampharos as it's dragon type added after mega evolution is a nod to how it was originally planned as a dragon type pokemon, and it's neat mega Pokemon entry about how ampharos used to be dragon type during ancient times
"Massive amounts of energy intensely stimulated Ampharos’s cells, apparently awakening its long-sleeping dragon’s blood."

anyways really nice thread, because sometimes i feel like im a bit too negative when it comes to Pokemon and my opinions

Though I see it complained about a lot, I (mostly) love the phone feature in the Johto games. It is annoying when you're in the midst of something and you get a call from a kid who's in love with his Rattata (or who stalks Professor Oak's granddaughter?), but some of the quotes are so cheeky and cute.
My favorites have to be Janine and Falkner trash talking each other.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
One thing I particularly like about Pokemon: The Spin-Off activities, such as contests, PokeStar Studios, and Alola Photo Club.

Let's talk about contest in particular: I love contests. There all about showing off and dazzling, which really fits me as an artistic person. Then there is the strategy element. In each games that contests appear, you have to choose between which move is appropriate so you can get the main appeal, so its not just simply choosing right move. Diamond and Pearl had another layer where you had to dress up your Pokemon to get points, as well as dancing to decide turn order.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind if contests replaced battling altogether. This is because most Pokemon can stand equally in contests. Doesn't matter if its Pikachu against Zekrom. In contests, they have an equal chance. What's better, blocks like IVs and EVs that apply in battling don't matter. Regardless if you bred your Pokemon to have 31 IVs or was caught in the wild, they have an equal chance in contests. The only grinding would be Pokeblocks and poffins, which has been made been simpler in ORAS which instantly makes them altogether.

I'm dissapointed they dropped contests entirely. Its become much easier to do contest than battles, despite battling being the main appeal.
Completely agree with this. Other spin-off activities I particularly enjoyed were stuff like Pokemon Amie (and the three minigames with it, like Berry Picker, Head It, and Tile Puzzle), and mining in the Underground in Gen 4, and particularly the Pokeathlon in HGSS.

I love all of them for different reasons, but a huge part of why I love spin-off activities so much in the Pokemon games is that they help make the Pokemon experience that much more enjoyable, immersive, and lively while also making it just plain fun and endearing to play with your own Pokemon as well as other people in some cases (like the Underground in DPP). While the battling aspect of Pokemon is the heart of the experience, all those little things you do on the side really make Pokemon feel like a truly interactive experience: playing with Pokemon and making them feel like friends, and just really make it feel like you're just having fun throughout it. It's a lot of fun just playing with Pokemon and others in these side experiences, and just taking time to play around and not focus on the journey. I love minigames in general, so that gives me a bit of bias here, but these spin-off experiences within the main games help to really keep me invested in Pokemon outside of battling: If I want I can just take some time to play around in a contest or Pokeathlon and show off how cute, cool, or awesome my Pokemon are, etc. and in other cases mining items underground using the DS touch screen and talking with others over Wi-Fi or wireless, or just petting my Pokemon in Amie (and seeing their reactions).

It really helps make Pokemon a really immersive experience: more than just about going through a region and battling Trainers and raising Pokemon, but also just playing with Pokemon and friends and making it feel like you're doing some really interesting, slice-of-life time with these things. I really like it when games have a touch of slice-of-life added to them, because experiences like this really help make the games just plain fun on the side when I don't feel like battling, but just playing some minigames. Sorry if some things I said are unclear, but just wanted to show that this is something I REALLY like about the games for a reason.

I like how 20+ years later pokemon remains dedicated to keeping their monsters, well, monsters!

I mean we complain about how some pokemon are just animals with additional features, all the inanimate objects, and so many dragons, but for the most part Pokemon has avoided that anthropomorphic shift it seems most 'mon series go through. And in fact, seems to double down in bringing certain animals and creatures into the limelight just because they can (like the Hawaiian stilt-owl for Decidueye).

Because even what we consider too human-like for this series (Incineroar, Gardevoir, or whatever other culprits you see on deviantart) still has way more character and charm than some other series I could name.

Like, remember Yokai Watch? Well, have you seen it lately?

The original yokai and their new "shadowside" counterparts. Disgusting (except Whisper, who's new look is terrible for this series but would fit in with the Adam's Family). And this is just the tip of the iceburg!

The protagonist can turn into this. Which while cool looking, is a pretty far cry from the series roots. And all protagonist and main antagonists have this oni-like design, so no more enemies like this

instead they look like this

Last edited:

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
That being said, it seems like there has been a shift in recent generations to make the fully evolved starters more humanoid. All three starters in both Gen VI and VII are essentially humanoid. But I have a feeling this is done mostly for convenience of animation and conveying personality. It's easier to portray a bipedal fox-person casting spells than a quadruped, and by giving a stilt owl a human posture it can also be made to be an archer. That being said, I hope Game Freak takes up the challenge and makes some non-humanoid starters again. Looking at the Gen 8 starters, though, I'm not really holding my breath.

I like how 20+ years later pokemon remains dedicated to keeping their monsters, well, monsters!

I mean we complain about how some pokemon are just animals with additional features, all the inanimate objects, and so many dragons, but for the most part Pokemon has avoided that anthropomorphic shift it seems most 'mon series go through. And in fact, seems to double down in bringing certain animals and creatures into the limelight just because they can (like the Hawaiian stilt-owl for Decidueye).

Because even what we consider too human-like for this series (Incineroar, Gardevoir, or whatever other culprits you see on deviantart) still has way more character and charm than some other series I could name.

Like, remember Yokai Watch? Well, have you seen it lately?

View attachment 174017View attachment 174018
View attachment 174020View attachment 174021
View attachment 174024View attachment 174025
The original yokai and their new "shadowside" counterparts. Disgusting (except Whisper, who's new look is terrible for this series but would fit in with the Adam's Family). And this is just the tip of the iceburg!
View attachment 174033
The protagonist can turn into this. Which while cool looking, is a pretty far cry from the series roots. And all protagonist and main antagonists have this oni-like design, so no more enemies like this
View attachment 174030
instead they look like this
View attachment 174031
dear arceus what happened to you komasan
at least they're not covered in guns like digimon.... yet

Apparently this "Yokai Watch: Shadowside" series concluded last month after less than a year of production, with the creators announcing they're going back to their less edgy roots. At least they're admitting they jumped the shark here.

So I guess this is just that awkward tween phase we all go through before we mellow out. I know I've got a drawing of a Dragonite with cyborg armor, 6-pack abs, a chin scar, and way too many guns crumpled up in a drawer in my attic somewhere. 11 years old is a dark time.

Did they put jet boots when it can already fly?

One thing I like about Detective Pikachu ( The game not the movie ) is that it really world builds on the world of Pokemon along with other spin off such as Ranger. We get to see People and Pokemon interacting in a much different manner than just battling. We get to see people and Pokemon interacting like activities such as film, science, music, and much more. An example would be Yanma being used to film in movie studios. Its so nice to see a whole new perspective on the world of Pokemon other than just battling, because let's be honest- I doubt being a Pokemon Trainer is a terribly lucrative career for most people- The player character is an exception.

In general, I really enjoyed Detective Pikachu. It was a horribly linear, with no penalties for wrong choices, as well as mysteries no more complicated than Scooby Doo, I found the rest of the game's writing to be very charming and funny. I hope there's a sequel to this game, because man this game screamed sequel. That's my biggest concern: The Detective Pikachu movie is going to strongly discourage a sequel for this game because the movie influences the media more than the game.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
That being said, it seems like there has been a shift in recent generations to make the fully evolved starters more humanoid. All three starters in both Gen VI and VII are essentially humanoid. But I have a feeling this is done mostly for convenience of animation and conveying personality. It's easier to portray a bipedal fox-person casting spells than a quadruped, and by giving a stilt owl a human posture it can also be made to be an archer. That being said, I hope Game Freak takes up the challenge and makes some non-humanoid starters again. Looking at the Gen 8 starters, though, I'm not really holding my breath.
Well, at least for Scorbunny. Grookey is up in the air, has the likelihood of becoming humanoid being an ape though could have a chance of remaining gorilla-like. And right now there's no sign Sobble will become humanoid though I guess that change doesn't really happen until the middle stage... and even if that doesn't clue you in could still happen for final stage *looks at Litten*. But as it stands now: yet again no quadruped Final Stage Fire Starter (who has a chance of becoming another Fire/Fighting-type or at the very least look like it could learn a few Fighting-type moves, GF why?).

Honestly, I really want more inanimate objects being Pokemon. I feel I'm one of the minority who isn't complaining about ghostly anchors, ghostly chandeliers, floating ice cream, ghostly sand castles, and I actually love them all. I actually am waiting for a proper car Pokemon. It will be cool. It will be badass. And if people will hate it and say GameFreak is running out of ideas, too bad. But cars do have animal-like features that can be easily be, uh, animalized, we all know the drill. I mean, I don't want some boxy fox with wheels, I want like a car with eyes.

About that Yo-Kai Watch example, I think I actually like the ferocious version of white cat thing (forgive me on the name) more than the original tbh.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
'Car Pokemon' is, I think, the first time I've seen an idea for a mon and thought, 'please no'. Which means I'm ok with the chandeliers and the ice creams, and even jet planes and lawn mowers, but for some reason, this idea bothers me. :D
Please yes.

We survived the onslaught of Spinda, Luvdisc, Magneton, Dugtrio, and literally all new Pokemon (which stop being new after a few years), we can survive a car Pokemon.
Sorry, but I'm going to have to side on the "no" side here. Only way I would accept a "car" Pokemon is if it's a Rotom form and I get to drive around in it (or a motorcycle, I'm not picky).

The think about creating an original "car" Pokemon is that either it has to be a manmade machine or an animal that can somehow turn its feet into wheels. But there's problems with both of these. For the manmade machine, honestly I would rather something cooler looking than a car. In a fictional setting which takes place in natural locations or inside buildings, a car really isn't feasible. A bike is more versatile in this case and that's proven not only with us getting a bike but also the "replacements" they have being more bike like than car: the Skiddo family and the land based PokeRides. As for a natural animal, well I think that may be too much of a stretch cause how would turning its feet into wheels work? "Well how can Buizel spin its tails like a propeller or rotor"? I think we can suspend our disbelief for that because the tail normally looks like a tail and even when spinning they don't change shape, it's just that somehow Buizel's tails are on this natural axis that let it spin fast. But I feel a wheel foot would either look too out of place on a natural creature or transforming the foot into a wheel would be too much of a change to feel believable even for Pokemon.

Plus there are plenty of other interesting objects I think could make for better basis for a Pokemon.

YES WHY NOT FISHING ROD POKEMON

I think you're overthinking stuff like feasibility of encoutering them. And besides, Pokemon takes liberties with size all the time and just liberties in general with things like weight, size, Pokedex entries, and so on. Like, you can make them the size of common drones or toy cars, and they'll fit in pretty good with other things like Magneton or other robotic Pokemon. Also, cars come in all shapes and sizes, which can look really neat on a Pokemon. I also see other things on the list that is probably more outlandish than the car such as a drilling rig, ant farm, Star Fox Logo, airbag, obelisk; and when you have things like Stakataka and Celesteela (which is like a spaceship/bamboo thing), I don't think car is really all that crazy of an idea. Anyhow, I think we need some blistering fast steel type, so IMO, car and planes are a good place to explore to make that kind of archetype.

Last edited:
I like that in gen1, Pokémon of the same type tended to have similar qualities with one or two exceptions. Rock, grounds and fighting types all were strong physically but had poor special. Waters were generally bulkier, but slower than other special types. Grass Pokémon all had good special and support moves. Fire types tended to have better attack stats than other special types.

It was almost as if the types were their own species. Now with all that variation in the modern games those type identities have been lost.

I think you're underestimating that importance of those "one or two exceptions." As when every single "archetype" has an exception to the rule, you collectively start to wonder if archetypes were truly intended or are we fans just connecting dots and claiming a pattern. As some types in the original 150 only had 1 family line and others had only 4 or 5. When 25 to 20% of your type isn't following the pattern, is that really a trend?

Rock types are bulky and slow - except Aerodactyl
Ground types are bulky and slow - except Dugtrio
Rock types are poor special attackers - except Omastar
Water types are bulky and slow - except Starmie and Tentacruel
Fire types have better attack - except Ninetales and Charizard
Electric types are fast - except Magneton
Grass types have great special attack - except Parasect
Ice types are slow and bulky - except Jynx (at least, at the time 95 was fast).
Normal types have wide movepools - except Ditto, any of the "normal/flying" types
Psychic types are OP - well, you got me there.
Poison types are... um... is there a trend? - Seriously, poison types have the biggest stat diversity in the game next to normal types with no outstanding trend other than "they can poison you."

I think we're putting on the nostalgia goggles and inflating "poor balancing issues" as "type identity."

Personally I like that they are shaking up the formula, because if they really intend archetypes then they've done a really poor job at it (please see every article about how ice type has failed to be a wall). So I look forward to the day that we get better special attacks for rock types than power gem.

It was almost as if the types were their own species. Now with all that variation in the modern games those type identities have been lost.
It's probably better IMO when "type" identities, if they even existed, started diversifying. It reflects better on the real world's ridiculous complexities and surprises. Why not have fast rock types? Why not slow flying types? Why not slow electric types? These are all feasible in the real world.

It will look like this
View attachment 175588
(Oh Wheel, from Yokai Watch 3).
I love it.

But honestly I was thinking about something like this

How cool would that be?

Or this? This can be like a fish-inspired car Pokemon.

Or that? This one is directly derived from the frill lizard. This one kinda reminds me of how weird ultra beasts are, but have such funky and lovable designs.

I mean, we already have a lot of unconventional Pokemon recently, and fusion in Pokemon is pretty much everywhere, so, I don't know, cars can be a fantastic source of inspiration for a car pokemon or they can be boring and lazy and mediocre. It's how ideas are executed that matters.

Last edited:
I think you're underestimating that importance of those "one or two exceptions." As when every single "archetype" has an exception to the rule, you collectively start to wonder if archetypes were truly intended or are we fans just connecting dots and claiming a pattern. As some types in the original 150 only had 1 family line and others had only 4 or 5. When 25 to 20% of your type isn't following the pattern, is that really a trend?

Rock types are bulky and slow - except Aerodactyl
Ground types are bulky and slow - except Dugtrio
Rock types are poor special attackers - except Omastar
Water types are bulky and slow - except Starmie and Tentacruel
Fire types have better attack - except Ninetales and Charizard
Electric types are fast - except Magneton
Grass types have great special attack - except Parasect
Ice types are slow and bulky - except Jynx (at least, at the time 95 was fast).
Normal types have wide movepools - except Ditto, any of the "normal/flying" types
Psychic types are OP - well, you got me there.
Poison types are... um... is there a trend? - Seriously, poison types have the biggest stat diversity in the game next to normal types with no outstanding trend other than "they can poison you."

I think we're putting on the nostalgia goggles and inflating "poor balancing issues" as "type identity."

Personally I like that they are shaking up the formula, because if they really intend archetypes then they've done a really poor job at it (please see every article about how ice type has failed to be a wall). So I look forward to the day that we get better special attacks for rock types than power gem.
I’m not saying that it was balanced or should have stayed like that, I just liked it. That’s why I like gen1, for the simplicity. Gen1 gets unfairly tagged as just a nostalgia-fest, but I prefer the simplicity and the sprite graphics over the newer games.

Gen2 is basically the same experience but better in every single way (although the clock can be annoying if you only have limited time of day to play and you want to catch certain Pokémon). But most people who like gen1 like gen2 as well.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
YES WHY NOT FISHING ROD POKEMON
I can see that. Maybe a predatory Phasmatodea (walking stick bug) what uses a silk string to fish up marine life (or there's also the Bolas Spider which does something similar, hanging onto a ceiling a lowering down a stick blob at the end of silk to snag moths flying by. There is a species of Spider that "fishes", the Dolomedes, but they don't use silk buy rather wait on the water and when they feel a ripple they rush over to the prey and sink their hook shaped feet into it (though some do leave a silk dragline to prevent themselves from running too fast and missing the prey)).

"Um, this sounds like wishlisting"

Which is why I'm stopping now. BUT I did want to go into a bit of detail to show how for some objects can be realistically made into a Pokemon that's believable. A Pokemon that's just a straight up fishing rod? Eh, that's something you really gotta sell me on. But an animal that just so happens to have features or traits that can be made to resemble a fishing rod? Personally I feel that's far more interesting and creative, and depending on what the object is they could also use an animal that has not been used before to check that off the list too, two for one! Heck, they could combine several species together via evolution family. Using the above example, they could make the Dolomedes the basic stage by focusing on the "hook feet" aspect about them and they then evolve into Bolas Spider who use their feet as fishing rods and maybe attaches their Dolomedes-based pre-evolution as fishing rods/bait. That said, the Phasmatodea is probably more well known then these obscure spiders (not to mention we have a marine spider species already) so that alone could push it being combined with the fishing rod (and potential to somehow have the trainer themselves use the Pokemon to help them fish, or base fishing rod designs on them).

I think you're overthinking stuff like feasibility of encoutering them. And besides, Pokemon takes liberties with size all the time and just liberties in general with things like weight, size, Pokedex entries, and so on. Like, you can make them the size of common drones or toy cars, and they'll fit in pretty good with other things like Magneton or other robotic Pokemon. Also, cars come in all shapes and sizes, which can look really neat on a Pokemon. I also see other things on the list that is probably more outlandish than the car such as a drilling rig, ant farm, Star Fox Logo, airbag, obelisk; and when you have things like Stakataka and Celesteela (which is like a spaceship/bamboo thing), I don't think car is really all that crazy of an idea. Anyhow, I think we need some blistering fast steel type, so IMO, car and planes are a good place to explore to make that kind of archetype.
Eh, it's all in context. I just find it hard to see a car Pokemon without it ending up looking like a Digimon or Transformer.

That said, thinking back to the Island Guardians I could maybe see a Pokemon that doesn't have wheels itself but maybe has a shell with wheels on it which can combine together to make a pseudo car shape. And I guess we could also have a pseudo-Transfromer like Pokemon if they REALLY simplify it and give it Pokemon aesthetics (or instead of a car maybe make it a skateboard or scooter... yes I know about the mini-cons, similar idea but even MORE simple and Pokemon-like). Actually, thinking about it now, I do think it's the "car" part which rubs me the wrong way and not the wheel thing. I just don't think we need a "car car", but I have no problem with other wheeled vehicles like maybe a mars rover or a tank (which we almost got with the Deino family, there were going to be Dragon/Steel dragon tanks before deciding to make them Dark-type and make them more Orochi looking, though you can still see a small remainder of their tank design via the red tread stripes on Zwelious and Hydreigon's stomach).

Stakataka and Celesteela and Ultra Beasts so they sort of get a pass (though now that just makes me think of a trainer using an Ultra Space Warp to the Transformers universe and trying to catch Transformers, lol). BTW, Celesteela is based on a Japanese legend titled The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter. Long story short, an elderly bamboo cutting couple finds a baby girl among bamboo, girls turns out to be a princess of a moon tribe (sent to Earth due to a war that was going on), and once an adult and the had ended her people came down and took her back to the moon. Many modern day adaptations have the moon tribe traveling in a rocket ship shaped like bamboo (one example I can think of is the game Okami where this tale was made into a side quest).

It will look like this

(Oh Wheel, from Yokai Watch 3).
NO, this is exactly what I DON'T want. Unless it's a Rotom possessing a car, this is them just taking a car and putting a face on it. It's alright for Yokai Watch because they set a precedent that their object-based monsters look like this, everyday objects with just a face and arms smacked on. However Pokemon has at least tried to make their object based Pokemon look like a natural forming creature or possibly constructed (and for these Pokemon they sort are given an extraterrestrial (Magnemite and Klink family) or fantastical/mythical (Genesect and Magearna) design).

Good point, I would actually say it's more that we focus on the "popular" Pokemon of that Type and see how well it does we kind of think that's how that Type should be by default. Like for Ice-types the best one is probably Weavile and Froslass... but these are actually exceptions not the rule.

Similarly if there's a Pokemon which Type combination didn't work out for what it was we kind of want to look at it being an "outsider". Using Fire-types as examples here, Flareon is a popular choice since, aside with the whole issue of it being a Physical Attacker, it gave the 110 to Special Defense but it's HP is 65 and Fire-types has way too many weaknesses (many would prefer that 110 go to its Speed or make it's Special Attack 110 and Speed 95). Emboar has the opposite problem, it was given a TON of HP but low defenses plus Fighting-type didn't really do anything to help weaknesses (sure, it's not weak to Rock but not weak to Psychic, a bad trade off). But, as you pointed out, both technically follow the trend of Fire-types being strong physical attackers (for a Type which until Gen IV all their moves were Special, GF were you even paying attention to your own mechanics?).

I'm not against having Pokemon which goes against their Type stereotypes, especially now that I realized a lot of popular Pokemon are actually aversions to their Types traditional roles, but still would like to see GF to take the Type's strength and weaknesses and make Pokemon of that Type able to use that to their advantage (or give them an Ability to help with fixing a perceived role problem).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)